z

Young Writers Society

The Wonderland Rift

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 am
Shady says...

The Dormouse

I switched which window the rope was dangling from and sat back, preparing for a nap. I figured I'd have a good half hour before Lordshire came bursting back in, and I intended on using every sec...

Haigha burst through the door. He looked scared, and worried. I stared at him a long moment. "I suppose you're looking for the queen that you hold so dearly?"

He whirled around on me, and then looked confused. I enjoyed his bewilderment for a moment, and then pointed towards the window. He instantly baled out the window.
"My, my, he is an eager lad."

I stretched and closed my eyes. I should still have at least a few minutes before...

"Lordshire, what are you playing at?" Miranda and Lordshire came into the room.

"So soon?" I sighed.

Miranda whirled around. "What the hell is that thing?"

"I am not a thing." I said sharply.

"What are you then?" Miranda asked snippy.

"It's a rat." Lordshire answered. "I know, because it got offended when Yamani called me one. Apparently it thinks that rats are better than me."

"I do." I answered, grooming my ears. "Mice and rats are so simple...loyal."

Lordshire took a threatening step towards me, but stopped himself. Miranda nodded towards me. "Go ahead."

Lordshire's fingers were wrapped around my throat an instant later. I snapped. A blinking white light filled the air, and Lordshire screamed. I leaned against the wall, behind them, and waited for them to stop blinking like morons.

"Where'd he go?" Lordshire growled, rubbing his hands.

"I didn't go anywhere...are your hands still burning? Oh dear..." I looked at them challengingly as I taunted Lordshire.

They whirled around.

"How'd you do that?" Miranda demanded.

I clicked my tongue. "My, my, such bad manners. I suppose Yamani did inherit them all."

"Yamani? Did you see her?" Miranda demanded.

"Oh yes, I did. It's like a damned family reunion here."

"Where is she? Which way did she go?"

I stared at them.

"Rat, I order you, as your Queen-- tell me where she went."

I bristled. "Listen lady. You're not my queen. You're not even the Queen of Wonderland. You're just a jealous little girl--"

"Miranda, no!"

But it was too late. Miranda had swung her fist at my head, and was clawing at one of my ears. Another bright light flashed, this one summoned by my mere rage, and she flew across the room. She struck the far wall hard, before crumpling to the ground.

"Miranda!" Lordshire quickly closed the distance, and knelt beside her.

I smoothed the fur on my ears as I stood glaring at the two of them. Miranda stirred. She sat up, slowly, holding her head. "W-what happened?"

"That little bastard--" Lordshire stood and turned towards me.

"I must advise you against doing anything rash," I said icily. "Because I will kill you next time."

We stood, me half his size but standing just as tall, glaring at each other for several long, strained moments. Finally he turned. "Forget it. Yamani went out a window. Let's go."

Miranda grabbed the rope and peered out the window uncertainly.

"Not that one. Who knows where this little...rat...put it after she left." Lordshire began, as he moved from window to window, peering out. "There she is."

Miranda hurried over to him and pushed him aside. "I'm going to kill you!"

"My, my, you sisters and your death threats."

She whirled around on me. "I'll kill you too, just as soon as I'm through with her."

"And so she proves my point." I sang.

They both started out the window, Lordshire first. I walked over to the window and watched as they descended the rope. I waited until they were close enough to the ground as to not injure Lordshire, and then smirked. I pulled my dagger out and began sawing on the rope. The braiding began to unravel.

"Plink, plink, plink..."

Screaming.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 am
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire (Knave of Hearts)

Minerva had helped Haigha and Yamani out the moat, and now they were escaping. Why was I not surprised? With quite a distance still left before reached the ground, I began to hurry, but something didn't feel right. Something was off, something- the rope.

It was loose, I could feel it. Could it be- that dirty rat! He was cutting the rope.

"Hurry everyone, this rope won't hold much longer!" I shouted at Jubiah and Miranda.

We climbed down as fast as we could but by the time we felt the air rushing beneath us, we hadn't made it far enough. We were falling straight down, and what was worse, it was into the moat. And this was my favorite suit.

I hit the oil back first and immediately began sinking. I struggled and flipped myself over so I could try to swim towards the bridge. As fast as I was going down, I wasn't going to die like this. Maybe Yamani was willing to die a fools death, but I wasn't.

I paddles for what seemed like much too long before my hand hit something solid, by then, it was the only thing above the oil. I grabbed the top of it and pulled with all my strength. I didn't stop until I felt my head and my two arms resurfaced completely, and even then, I couldn't rest. There was still too much to do.

After all, my fight now was for the throne, wasn't it?
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 am
megsug says...

Minerva
"The moat's not wide enough."

I turned to dare her, to argue. She held my gaze for a long moment. There was a flicker of something...

Fear?

I opened my mouth to argue.

"There she is." Lordshire's voice drawled. "Oh look, a princess wanna-be locked in a tower..."

I twisted around, staring at them, as my mind raced.

"I'm going to kill you." Miranda hissed.

"You've got it to do."

I jerked my head back to Yamani.

"You know..." She laughed shakily. "You're right. You are the only person who actually has helped me...has looked out for me...everyone else hates me." She looked down at the moat.

Fuck. I wouldn't have actually done it. I would have swung back to calm before that ever happened. Yamani didn't swing. Yamani was firm when she made up her mind, and it was obvious she had made up her mind.

"Everyone. My own sister....my own husband...my subjects...my cousin...no one would mourn me..." She took a step forward.

"Yamani..." I breathed, my chest tight.

"Everyone will die if Miranda takes the throne...she'll kill everyone in her path...and then the economy will follow...and everyone will blame it on me...and I don't care. I don't want to kill my sister...and she's not going to kill me." She stepped off the ledge.

I went into instant panic mode. She had actually jumped! That crazy bitch had actually done it! What the fuck was she thinking? I leaned over the side, unsure of what to do...

Suddenly, Haigha was pulling her back up, and I was reaching down, hanging off the edge perilously.

"Grab my hand," I shouted and met his surprised gaze with a sharp one of my own.

Soon Yamani was back up, spitting out oil. "Let me go! Why did you even save me? You should've fled."

I wanted to yell at her, shake my finger in her face, and tell her what an idiot she was. I just stared at her for a long moment, relief washing over me.

I glanced away when Haigha pulled her to him, not wishing to intrude. He pulled her up, and they began toward the gate out of the moat.

I watched them, hesitating. I looked back up at the three making their way down the rope.

"Minerva!"

I looked back at Haigha and Yamani.

Yamani had stopped just before the gate and was looking back at me. She waved an arm. "Come on!"

I looked back up at Miranda who I had pretended loyalty to for so long.

I had just saved Yamani... and even worse, it was where they could see me do so. And we all knew how that looked. It looked like I was on her side.

...And I wasn't sure I wasn't.

My eyes fell on Lordshire, the slimely son of a bitch. Suddenly I stood and dashed towards Yamani, brandishing Lordshire's now oil covered cane. "I've got the bastard's stick!"

Suddenly there was yelps, and I glanced back.

The rope wasn't hanging in that window anymore. I grinned. "I think I might change my mind about that Dormouse of yours," I laughed in greeting and continued to run. We ran in the tunnels for what seemed to be a long time before we all stopped to catch our breath.

"What's the plan?" Yamani asked, and there was dead silence.

I glanced around, at Haigha, at Yamani, and bit my lip. "Ah... Perhaps now would be the time for a tactical retreat?" I asked softly.

Yamani made a disgusted sound and opened her mouth to argue, but I beat her to it.

"They're already in your castle. They're already overpowering your leaderless forces. Retreat, regroup, attack."

Footsteps echoed around the tunnel.

My eyes never left Yamani's. "Your choice."
Test

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 am
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

Instead of taking the traditional- and somewhat cliche- way of going down the rope from the castle window, I decided to take the unconvential airel route- namely, flying. I figured that not only would it be faster and easier, it would also serve to make sure the Doormouse wasn't playing any tricks on us. I really didn't like the look she was giving us- more catlike than a mouse should naturally look. She had something up her sleeve.

I was about to point this out, in fact, until something dawned on me. I could have only just enough time to save one person from whatever the Doormouse was up to. That would solve the Miranda problem after all. Without further ado, I watched Miranda- I now refuse to call anyone Queen- and Lordshire start down the rope, and just when I can't see the tops of their heads I plummet earthward, towards the tar-black, shiny moat. Wait, I think to myself, panicking, This isn't the moat. Its... OIL! I turn sharply, grazing the oil with my wingtip, and I fall just short of the oil, on dry land.

To my dismay, however, as I look up I see the others falling, the severed rope in their wake. I quickly but awkwardly- with my oil-drenched wing- fly to them, just in time to see them go under its thick, murky depths. After only a moment's hesitation, I reach down in the oil. Immeadiately I feel someone grasp my hand, and none other than Miranda emerges. Despite my better- or worse, depending on your perspective- I do not let go and let her die. I just can't, even if she was going to murder me at the castle.

Without either of us speaking a word, I set her down on the ground next to the oil pit and fly back to get Lordshire. It's the least I can do. I swoop back down, hovering just above the oil, where tiny, minute bubbles are emerging. I plunge my hand under and wait for Lordshire to grab my hand, but he does not. The bubbles that were there are gone. But right once I was about to give up, to accept that Lordshire was dead and gone, he grabbed my hand and pulled with what little stength he had. I helped, pulling with all my might, and he was pulled out of the oil without a sound.

All three of us lay there, filthy and exhausted, ready to give up. But of course, we can't do that yet. We have a Queen to kill.
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 pm
ERANBEAR says...

Spoiler! :
I know it's not the best to interrupt the flow of the writing. I just got online for the first time in...well...a long time. I am catching up with the events of the war. I desperately need a volunteer to to take up Alex or the King as they are...I will be giving away only one of them...I need some time to read the posts. I am terribly sorry for my absence.Will someone co-admin with me?
They say the world is your oyster; but what if you keep kosher?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:50 am
Alvarin says...

Miranda Marble - The White Queen
I was going to kill her. Her, Minerva and Haigha. I looked up just to see Lordshire's ass above me. The future king of Wonderland, huh? What a joke. Not that I even cared anymore. He might as well take the throne and enjoy it while it lasted. He'd be king from maybe a month before a new group of rebels formed, and then everything would fall apart again.

"Hurry everyone, this rope won't hold much longer!"

Oh, crap. I didn't know if should be happy that I wasn't highest up, or if I should just be afraid to get squashed by Lordshire. No, wait. There wasn't any ground under us now, was there? Which meant that we would drown.

I managed to take one last breath before we plunged into the oil. I'd be damned if I drowned now, after all these years trying to get revenge, I refused to die when I was this close.

Unfortunately for me, my dress and shotgun weighed me down, and no matter how much I tried to keep my head above the surface I only seemed to be sinking further down. I flailed my arms around, in the hopes of finding something solid in the thick oil, and I did. I found an arm and the arm pulled me up. I wasn't sure if I should be happy that Jubiah saved me, or embarrassed. I decided that happy was probably the best, but before I could thank him he took of from the ground and saved Lordshire too.

I let myself lay down and catch my breath for a moment, before standing up again. I needed a shower, but more than that I needed to kill my sister and be done with this. I had spent too much time looking for revenge. I wanted to start anew.

"What are you waiting for, you lazy bastards?" I asked loudly and started walking the same way that I had seen my sister run. "We can't let her get away." I turned around and glared at Lordshire. "You ain't getting any crown until she lays dead at my feet." He opened his mouth for some smart remark, but I cut him of. "Take the throne without my official consent, and my rebels will run you of it before you've even sat in it!"
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

935 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:55 am
Shady says...

Spoiler! :
I, too, apologize for my absence. Someone should kick me if I don't post within three days from now on. I'm a bit ADD at times.

Yamani (Queen of Heart)

The oil enveloped me in darkness, weighing my limbs and clothing down, pulling me deeper. My arms instantly moved to propel me towards the surface. I stopped myself, closed my eyes, even as panic overcame me. Your word is golden. Resurface, and you really will lose everything. I shoved my hands in my pockets.

I closed my eyes. This is how Father would want it. He always preferred Miranda anyway. My chest burned. Suddenly something locked around abdomen and hauled me upward.

I surfaced before I had a chance to process what happened, or get angry about it. I gasped for air. I collapsed on the bank, coughing and gasping for breath. As I finally started to catch my breath, Haigha grabbed my hand and hauled me to my feet.

I pushed him away, glaring. "Let me go! Why did you even save me? You should've fled."

He shook his head deliberately. I glared at his feet. His poor, oil soaked feet. He could've gotten himself killed. He could've died. Because of me. He grabbed my chin and pulled my head up, forcing me to look at him. He kissed me softly and wrapped his arms around me. "Yamani." I shivered. It was the first time I could ever remember hearing his voice. "I love you."

I gaped, staring at the side of his head, as he pulled me towards the gate. I followed after him numbly, a foreign feeling welling inside me. I'd been told that I was loved before, but I never believed it. I refused. I believed this.

I shook my head, brushing the feelings off some, as I thought of Minerva. I stopped, pulling my hand away. Haigha looked at me, looking a bit worried.

"Minerva...she...pulled you out?"

Haigha nodded.

"We can't leave her."

Haigha shook his head, as if to say of course not.

"Minerva!" I shouted.

She looked towards us. I waved to her. "Come on!"

She hesitated, glancing back at Miranda. She glanced at Lordshire, then sprinted towards us. "I've got the bastard's stick!"

We started out the gate, but stopped and glanced back when we heard screaming.

"I think I might change my mind about that Dormouse of yours." Minerva laughed as she ran past us.

I grinned, and followed, side-by-side with Haigha. We ran until we were out of breath. We stopped, panting.

"What's the plan?" Yamani asked, looking between them.

They were silent.

"Ah... Perhaps now would be the time for a tactical retreat?" Minerva murmured.

I snorted.

"They're already in your castle. They're already overpowering your leaderless forces. Retreat, regroup, attack."

Footsteps echoed around the tunnel. I kept my gaze locked on Minerva's.

"Your choice."

An echo carried "You ain't getting any crown until she lays dead at my feet. Take the throne without my official consent, and my rebels will run you from it before you've even sat in it!"

"That bitch is giving...mercenary bastard...damn Jubiah fucking bird..."

"Well?" Minerva raised her eyebrows.

"Bastard...I want to cram that stick up his fucking ass."

"Lovely, truly, but what-"

"Fine, we'll fucking go then." I snapped.

I turned and started down the dark tunnel once more. "I know this cave..."

Minerva was beside me. She grinned. "You mean the one we used to--"

"One and the same." I grinned. "I wonder if that last one ever got out?"

Minerva's grin widened. "Let's check."

Haigha looked worried.

[they/he]

50 Reviews

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 pm
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

"You ain't getting any crown until she lays dead at my feet." He opened his mouth for some smart remark, but I cut him of. "Take the throne without my official consent, and my rebels will run you of it before you've even sat in it!" Miranda says, practically spitting the words at Lordshire. Someone's cranky today, I think, smiling a little. I wonder what she'll do when I kill the Queen instead of her. She may kill me, but it'll be worth it just sto see the look n her face- or really, both thier faces.

Seeing me smile, Mranda went off on another tangent. "Don't you smile. Tis is serious! If you do that again-"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Off with my head." I stopped smling.

Miranda started turning a purpley-red color tht I didn't even think was possible for anyone to turn, and I've met a human chemeleon before. Before steam could come out of her ears or she breathed fire on me, we heard a noise down the tunnel. It was none other than Mnerva's, followed closely by Yamini's. I could ust make out what they were saying.

"...this cave..." I could faintly hear Yamini say, her voice filled with awe.

Minerva, "You mean... we used to--"

"One and the same. I wonder... last one ever got out?" Yamini said.

"Let's check."

Well that doesn't sound good, I think. Not a second after I thnk that, Miranda is practically dragging us towards the fading sound of the two voices. This is going to get ugly.

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 am
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire (Knave of Hearts)

"No you fool. Don't you see that if we follow them, we'll just get lost in the process," I said, tugging myself free from Miranda's grasp, "They obviously have the home field advantage this way."

"So what do you suppose we do?" She asked.

"Well how about we try to not lead ourselves into a trap. Minerva still has my cane, you know."

"So?"

I looked at her for a moment, and when I realized she was serious, I said, "No one truly appreciates that cane until they've used it."

"Stop wasting time, Lordshire!" She barked, "If you don't come up with a plan in the next three seconds-"

"Yes, yes, you'll kill me. I think we've been through this enough, just give me a second."

I thought about our options for a second. What could we do? Jubiah and Miranda both seemed eager to kill Yamani, so would it be such a bad idea to send both of them to their deaths? No, I might need them.

Guessing I had no other options, and no more time, I told them "Jubiah, I want you to follow them, but take a stick or something so you can put a mark on the walls, just to remember the way you came in case you get lost."

I guessed he was quite happy that I wanted him to them down, because he didn't argue.

"Miranda, you go around the cave. Or above it. Whatever you want. If they do leave the cave and come up above ground, you might be able to see them."

She didn't seem to like her role as much, but she didn't argue either.

"And you're going to... " She asked.

"I'm going to announce to Wonderland the Queen and her sister's admittance of their disloyalty towards the nation, and their subsequent suicides afterwords."

This seemed to shock them.

"So you're going lie?" Jubiah asked.

I smirked, "It's like the dead Queen's gonna tell anyone I'm lying."
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

30 Reviews

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:58 pm
Alvarin says...

I frowned at Lordshire. "Fine, but remember what I said. I'm not letting you take my throne until I've killed my sister." I pulled my shotgun from my shoulder, smiling teasingly at Lordshire as he flinched, and started walking up the hill. I had never been down in that cave, since my sister and I seldom played together as kids, but I knew in what direction the exit was, and from the top of the hill I would be able to see them as they came out. Too bad I don't have a rifle, but I preferred coming up close and see the brain-substance fly after I pulled the trigger.

As I reached the top I looked back and saw that Jubiah had already entered the cave. Good, my terrier was going to ground, now I just had to wait for the foxes to come out. I had a silly smile on my face, and I was clutching my shotgun a bit to hard. I would need to take care of Haigha first, before he spoke, while Jubiah delt with Minerva. Then I would make sure I got my sister before Jubiah did. I didn't care if I had to shoot him first, 'cause I sure as hell wasn't going to let some lowly soldier take the kill that I had longed for for years.

Patience, I told myself and tried to relax. It wasn't my strong side, far from it, but I was not going to ruin this by being too tense. But it wasn't just tension. I still hadn't gotten my strength back, and the world seemed slightly wobbly. Well, hopefully that would pass when I had killed Haigha.

Haigha March - The March Hare
I followed Minerva and Yamani.. The Queen into the cave, a strange feeling in my chest. I didn't know what to expect from this cave. A torture chamber, maybe? Considering what I had heard about the Queen's childhood it wouldn't surprise me.

I flinched as I heard running footsteps behind us. Someone was coming after us. There was only one set of footsteps, luckily enough. I touched the Queen's shoulder to make her stop, and then I pulled my gun and turned to see who was coming. If it was just one of them then I could take care of it, no matter who it was.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

50 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 am
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

"Jubiah, I want you to follow them, but take a stick or something so you can put a mark on the walls, just to remember the way you came in case you get lost." Fantastic, I thought, now I can get my revenge before Miranda even sees her sister again. I could even tell her she killed herself to possibly avoid being killed. Needless to say, I was quite happy.

"Miranda, you go around the cave. Or above it. Whatever you want. If they do leave the cave and come up above ground, you might be able to see them."

She was clearly put off, pouting like a twelve-year-old, but she didn't protest.

"And you're going to... " She asked, the same question on the tip of my tongue.

"I'm going to announce to Wonderland the Queen and her sister's admittance of their disloyalty towards the nation, and their subsequent suicides afterwords."

What the hell? I knew Lordshire was a lying bastard, but to lie to the whole of Wonderland about something this important?

"So you're going lie?" I ask, dumbfounded.

"It's like the dead Queen's gonna tell anyone I'm lying. Well, see you later- hopefully." With that he turned and left, as did Miranda. But before we all parted ways, Lordshire said, "And I need my staff back." and threw me a stick which was next to him.

As I started down the corridors, marking the way with the stick, I was reminded of the old fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel, with the breadcrumbs. After only a short time, I heard the absence of a noise- namely, footsteps. It seems I had been caught by the witch.

935 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:37 pm
Shady says...

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

We continued down the tunnel silently, Minerva in the lead, fingering Lordshire's stick, me following, brooding, Haigha walking near me protectively, but looking a bit worried. I pursed my lips.

Haigha was...nicer, to say the least, than either Minerva or I. He would not find our cave pleasant, if my estimations were correct. I waved to Haigha to stop, and laid my hand on Minerva's shoulder.

She started, her body tense, ready to spring, and glared at me. I nodded down the tunnel. We walked a bit away, far enough to be out of hearing shot.

"What do you want?"

I glanced back at Haigha. "Haigha...he...he doesn't know what we used to do."

She rolled her eyes. "Yamani, the whole kingdom knows what you've done."

I crossed my arms, glaring. "Be that as it may...Haigha-"

"Haigha knows too. You've already botched your chances of being the sweet wife--"

"He hasn't seen a bloody torture chamber." I snapped, glancing at him. "I don't want him to...look, I know he knows, but I don't want him to have to see that part of my past, okay?"

She searched my face for a moment, before nodding. "Okay...don't suppose you remember the way to that cave that we kept Wren in?"

I nodded. That was one part of my childhood that I kept alive. "Of course."

She studied my face a moment longer. "You're still aiding and abiding, aren't you?"

I lifted a shoulder. I was.

"You're going soft."

I glared at her. "I'll show you soft."

She smirked. I called Haigha up to us, and we continued on in silence. In a moment I heard footsteps, and Haigha's hand landed on my shoulder. I stopped and turned as he took out his gun and faced down the alleyway.

I fingered my sword. "I can get him Haigha--"

He shook his head, glaring. I opened my mouth to argue but stopped myself. I finally had a man to protect me now-- that bastard I was married to never would've-- so I didn't have to protect myself anymore. It was a strange feeling, but I would allow it. I nodded and turned away.

Minerva and I continued down the alley, silently, until we reached head of the cave. I began climbing the ladder that lead to the small trapdoor I had hidden between two oaks in the woods. I got to the top, threw the door open, and scrambled out into the bright sunlight, squinting.

"Bloody sunlight." I grumbled, as I dragged myself up into the forest. I crawled forward on my hands and knees. A gun cocked by my head, and I froze.

"That's right, keep still...I see you there Minerva, don't you move either."

"Fuck." I pushed myself to my knees, slowly, and glared up at Miranda as she moved the barrel of her shotgun closer to my face.

When the barrel was hovering mere inches from my right eye, Miranda smirked. "On her knees at last."

"You couldn't have gotten me here without a gun."

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 pm
Alvarin says...

While I was waiting my vision started to blur again. God damn it. I had thought that the old man's trinkets would last a bit longer, but they seemed to be at the end of their line. They just needed to last a little bit longer, just a couple of minutes. That be enough for her to get out and then I'd kill her. I'd finally kill her. Then I could leave and start over. I could be someone else.

Suddenly I saw something move down below. A hatch being pushed open. I ran over there, shotgun raised in case they would try to flee again. Luckily for me, they didn't have time to even get out before I was there. I smiled as my dear little sister crawled towards me on all four. I cocked the gun and she froze. "That's right, keep still.. I see you there Minerva, don't you move either." But I didn't care about Minerva. All that mattered was my sister.

"Fuck." She pushed herself up on her knees, and I put the shotgun against her forehead.

I smiled. "On her knees at last."

"You couldn't have gotten me here without a gun."

I laughed coldly. "Always so damn proud. What does it matter? You're gonna die, dear sister, that's the only thing that counts. You're gonna be the first one to die, isn't that nice? You won't have to watch Jubiah kill your beloved Haigha." I was starting to regret that little sprint. The world was wobbling back and forth, and unfortunately my shotgun was too. I hoped Jubiah would get a fucking move on and kill him, otherwise this might turn ugly.

"Haigha's not that weak," she muttered. I didn't like how confident she sounded.

"Jubiah's stronger than you think." No no no, the world was spinning.

"What's wrong, sister dear? You don't look so well," I could tell from her tone of voice that she was smiling, but her features was melting together, so I couldn't actually see it.

"I'm well enough to kill you," I hissed and felt my grip around my gun tense.

"So why don't you?"

Yes, why the bloody hell didn't I? "Good question," I mumbled. I wanted to kill her, I had always wanted to kill her, so why couldn't I do it? No, I could do it. I wasn't going to let some sudden idiotic attack of sentiments stop me from doing what I had longed to do for years. "But don't worry, I'm not going to keep you waiting any longer."

I aimed as well as I could, smiled and squeezed the trigger. The loud bang never came, only a dull thud as my leg folded under me and I fell to the ground. I weakly tried to get up, but I couldn't. My arms would let me push myself up, and eventually I stopped trying. This was fine too, wasn't it? Did it really matter which one of us died in the end?

---

Someone was carrying me. I tried to struggle out of the persons grip, but was barely even strong enough to move. "Settle down. You need to live a while longer, the war is yet not done."

It was the old man. Had he saved me? That meant I would have another chance to kill her. I smiled, or at least I tried to. The next time she wouldn't get away. Next time I wouldn't hesitate.

Spoiler! :
Over and out. That will be Miranda's last post. I took the liberty of borrowing Adonis, 'cause I missed him :) I don't know why Yamani let her live, I'll leave that up to you guys xD
― Thomas Harris

935 Reviews

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm
Shady says...

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

I glared up at her as she laughed coldly. "Always so damn proud. What does it matter? You're gonna die, dear sister, that's the only thing that counts. You're gonna be the first one to die, isn't that nice? You won't have to watch Jubiah kill your beloved Haigha."

Miranda was panting, her shotgun wobbling on my forehead. I looked into her eyes. She was bluffing...hopefully.

"Haigha's not that weak." Like Jubiah could kill Haigha.

"Jubiah's stronger than you think." Miranda wobbled.

"What's wrong, sister dear? You don't look so well." I grinned cruelly.

"I'm well enough to kill you." She spat, clinging to her gun.

"So why don't you?"

"Good question." She muttered. "But don't worry, I'm not going to keep you waiting any longer."

She smiled and, for a moment, I thought she was going to shoot me. I closed my eyes tightly and turned my head away, but the bang never came. Instead, Miranda crumpled to the ground in front of me, unconscious.

I shook my head and pushed myself to my feet, grabbing her gun.

"Yamani..." Minerva was behind me. She sounded worried.

"Yeah?"

"Don't--you don't want to really... I don't think you-- I can't stand by and let you--"

"Relax. I never wanted to kill her." I jacked the shells out of Miranda's shotgun, catching them in midair. I threw the gun down on the ground beside Miranda, the barrel hitting her legs, hard. I took the shells and threw them, one-by-one, at her head has hard as I could. She'd have a nice headache when she woke up.

I turned away from her and started over the hill.

"Where are you going? I thought we weren't going to--"

"I need some things," I interrupted. "Now let's go."

I slid over the hill and pulled back the vines covering the mouth of a cave. I ducked inside it, never bothering to wait for Minerva. I silently walked down the cave, quickly coming to the fork. I started to go down the right fork, towards our abandoned torture chamber- when I heard noise coming from the left.

I glanced at Minerva. Her body was tense, on guard, as she met my gaze and lifted a shoulder. I drew my sword and took the point once more, cautiously heading down the dark tunnel.

I stopped just outside the ring of light cast by a torch and watched, wonderingly, as the girl from the bar moved around in the dim light, humming softly.

[they/he]

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:52 am
AlmondEyes says...

Luna

I was busy, working on a new paralytic in the cave gently lit, softly humming to myself as I did so. I had been hired to do a job and was excited to get the chance to do so. I'd finally perfected it was had a chance to use. My employer needed something dealt with, that I was only happy to deal with. I did have my morals, ya know. I was just about to put the finishing touches on it, when the crystal on my belt began to glow. I stopped in my tracks. Someone had set off the alarm at the cave entrance. I threw my senses out. Waiting. Listening. I heard two sets of feet heading in my direction and stop a few feet away, just out of reach of the light. I made sure no one knew of this place. It was too far out for anyone to follow me without being seen. Instead of doing anything, I went about my business as nothing was wrong, curious about what they were doing here. Since they most likely wandered in, they weren't here for trouble, so what were they here for? Nothing changed. I guess it was time to find out. Keeping with the task at hand, I spoke.

"Are you just going to stand there? Or are you going to say something?"

I turned, waiting. Two very unexpected women stepped forward. Standing before me, was the Queen of Hearts and her cousin Minerva.

"Hm." Yamani steps into the light. "What does one say when they discover that someone's taken residence on your land, without permission?"

"One says thank you for not sticking a knife in your throat?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I'd recommend it." She crosses her arms.

"Well then, you're welcome." I smile sweetly.

Yamani raised her eyebrows. "Awful cocky for a girl, all alone, miles out of town."

"Awfully observant for someone who looks as beat up and worn out as you two look, and don't go trying to threaten me, your highness." I let my tongue run slowly across my lower lip . "You don't scare me. And you wouldn't be able to take me even if you were at full strength. Either way I could kill you in less than a second."

Yamani clenches her fists. Minerva cuts in. "Yamani, come on, she's not worth it."

"Maybe not, but I'm in the mood to kick someone's ass-- she'll do." Yamani smirks.

I have a knife at her throat so fast she doesn't get the chance to blink. "What was that about kicking ass?"

Yamani grabbed my wrist and jerked on it, ducking under my arm, whirling around to face me. "I'll show you."

I slap her hand away and kick her feet from under her, grab her by her neck and choke slam her to the ground. "I'm sorry. What was that?"

Yamani throws her forearm into my arms, loosening my grip. She shoved her backward, and sprang toward me, but Minerva grabbed Yamani's shoulder and threw her backward, stepping between us, a cane raised.

"Would you two stop fighting?" she yells. "This is most definitely not the time for it.You're acting like f***ing children.""

"Don't look at me," I shrugged. "she's the one who doesn't know how to have a civilized conversation."

"Says the little bitch--" Yamani starts.

Minerva whirled around on Yamani, glaring. "Don't agitate."

"You wanna act like a little baby because you got your ass handed to you by the rebels? Fine, but don't take it out on me." I put my knife back in it's sheath.

Her eyes popped wide for a split second.

"Oh," I nodded. "yea. Don't think I don't know what's going on."

Yamani leapt to her feet. "That's it. You're a dead bitch."

"Oh yea," I scoff. "Because I'm so scared."

Minerva grabbed the shoulder of her cloak and shoved her towards the mouth of the cave. "Come on."

"I ain't going any fucking were until she lies dead and bleeding on my feet." Yamani spits.

"Hey," I start. "I didn't have any problem with you being here, but you had to open your foul mouth and screw it up."

Yamani slammed into Minerva's chest, glaring, as Minerva held her back, murmuring. "Look there, she's trying to make peace..."

"Bullshit i'm trying to make peace." I say. "I'm just being honest. You may not know what that means,but when people tell the truth."

Minerva's head snapped around on me, as she snarled. "I *said* that you're making peace."

I almost cracked a smile. "Yea. That's right. I'm trying to 'make peace'."

Yamani shrugged Minerva's hands off, glaring. "Whatever. What do you think you're doing in my cave, anyway?"

"You must be blind as well as dumb if you can't see what's right in front of you." I said walked over to which she was referring.

Yamani trembled with the effort it took to keep from smacking her in the mouth.

I took a step forward. "You could try."

"Last warning, both of you."Minerva hissed.

"Like I said," I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. "She fucked this up with her foul mouth."

Minerva pointed a finger at Luna threateningly. "I mean it. You're no better."

"And how is that?" I look at her with my head cocked slightly.

"You could try." Minerva mocked. "You both need to curb the egos. I'm sure you'd both get a busted head if I let you fight."

"My ego isn't the problem." I shake my head. "Her ego is."

" 'I know you are, but what am I'...seriously? What, are you nine?" Yamani spat.

I roll my eyes and shake my head with a sigh. "You see?"

"I see two little girls who are acting like they're two. Get a grip." Minerva spat

"I'm right here, ready and waiting, if you hadn't noticed." I give her a sordid look.

She's been the one throwing all of the punches, and it's so easy to bait her because she acts before thinking. I'm surprised she's lasted this long on the throne without someone overthrowing her her childish ass for this long.

"You want me to turn her loose?" Minerva raised her eyebrows, glancing at Yamani. "'Cause if I do, I'm coming after you too."

I sighed. "I could strike you both down in faster than it would take me to blink, and I think you both know that. Now are we going to talk about this, or am I going be cleaning blood off of the floor and walls?"

I was really getting tired of this. I've kept my cool the entire time, and now they both want to fight to me? How the hell does that happen?

Minerva's face spasmed with anger. "What part of last fucking
chance don't you understand?"

"I've kept my cool this entire time, and yet some how, now you're trying to get at my throat. I already told you I waiting right here when you wanna talk." I stated frankly.

I'd already said this, hadn't I? Guess not. I leaned against the table and waited for a response.

"I wanted to talk 10 f***ing minutes ago, when I first asked what the f*** you're doing here." Yamani spat. "But you can't just--"

"That's enough. Stay objective." Minerva cut it in.

I waited for one of them to continue, preferably Minerva since she seemed to have the sense to try and keep the peace.

"As you may guess, there's a war going on." Yamani said sharply, but continued more calmly at an elbow to the ribs. "So how are you going to play in it?"

"Same as I always have." I picked up a vial filled with a pink liquid. "Neutral. Why do you ask?"

"We're in need of some assistance." she ground out through clenched teeth, the muscles in her neck working hard to swallow.

"If you can promise not to stab me in the back, then i'll help you." I set the vial down slowly.

"Really?" She glares suspiciously. "Just like that?"

I shrug. "I don't need an ulterior motive to help help somebody who clearly needs it. No offense."

"Some taken." she grimaced.

"Do we have a deal?" I step forward and hold my hand out to Minerva.

They look at each other for a long moment before Yamani nods reluctantly. Minerva extends her hand to shake mine. "We have a deal."

Spoiler! :
My bad for posting on the DT. Just remember to keep Luna objective. She tends to keep her cool in most situations and if they ask her something, just have her answer it frankly and honestly.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx