The Wonderland Rift

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:59 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire (Knave of Hearts)

Back at the castle, the fighting had ceased, at least for the moment. Everyone had a confused look on their face when they saw I was returning alone.

"Oh, where's everyone else? Worry not, my friends, everything will be explained soon. But right now, I have a job for you all."

Both the rebels and the Hearts soldiers eyed me curiously.

"I need you all to rally the towns people. Tell them there's going to be a major announcement about the future of Wonderland right at the front gates of the castle."

The soldiers began talking among themselves.

"And uh, what's dis announcement gonna be about?" One managed to ask.

I smirked, "Patience, child. All will be known in due time. Which means the faster you get all the townspeople here, the faster you'll hear the news."

I heard a few people cheer, surprisingly, and head off. Soon I was the only one left near the castle. With a silly smile on my face, I turned my head towards the forest, wondering when Jubiah and Miranda would show up with the good news, and more importantly, with my cane.

But through the corner of my eye, I could just barely make out an old man carrying the lifeless body of a woman in all white.

Spoiler! :
Yes I know, Miranda's not dead xP.
And for any of you who want to post before the SB ends and didn't have a chance before, you can use this :D
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 am
megsug says...

Minerva
Neutral. I felt my lip curl up before I remembered two things: 1) I damned well wasn't going to start another argument and 2) I hadn't been all too sure of my standing but a few moments ago. It seemed, unless I wanted to play the hypocrite, there was no fault in being neutral. It was far better than being a traitor which I knew I very well I was.

"Do we have a deal?" Luna asked, and I glanced at Yamani who looked vaguely ill at accepting such an offer.

After a few moments she nodded anyway.

I accepted the offered hand and shook it. "We have a deal." I studied them both and nodded slowly. "I suppose, whatever we're planning to do, now is merely a time to lie low and see what awaits us."

Adonis
I had known she wouldn't succeed in her sister. Not right now anyway. Perhaps, if the White Queen could regain her strength, she would claim her revenge in the future. The outcome was still foggy.

I hurried through the sewers, having seen where she would be waiting for me. Important things were happening. Things that would change the world forever. I had never had so many visions in so little time. I knew that no Heart would take the throne for quite some time.

Of course, there were other visions, but they were too unclear to share.

I would never share a vision I didn't understand myself. There was no fun in being correct then.

There the fool lay, no longer the White Queen, I supposed. Just one more jilted noble.

But she would fight. That had been clear.

I lifted her carefully, grunting ever so slightly at the weight.

Yes. Wonderland seemed to still be exciting. It would be for a while.

She began to struggle once we got out of tunnels though it could barely be called that, she was so weak. I would have to get her away from here, heal her. I had remembered a ceremony and had rushed to find her. It could only be held in my homeland with my people. I would take her there.

"Settle down," I murmured as she wiggled once more, "You need to live a while longer, the war is yet not done."

I strode into the forest. Indeed, the future was shadowy and hidden with fog. These times we were in were strange ones, and I would leave my mark on its course.

This was my mark.
Test

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 am
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah Roost

As I heard the sound, or rather the absence of a sound, as the trio stopped, hearing my footsteps, I swooped upward, barely flying in the cramped tunnel. I watched as Hiaga rounded the corner, gun drawn. Spotting me almost instantly, he fired his gun twice, straight at my heart. Reacting in a split second, I dodged the shot, swooping to my left. Two more shots, I dodged again, the bullet grazing my wing, a few feathers falling to the ground. Another shot, a lucky one, and I was falling, crashing to the ground, my right wing ragged and bloody. I crashed to the ground, a broken wing and leg. I just laid there, waiting for Hiaga to finish me off. He didn't disappoint. Within the blink of an eye, he was standing over me, gun in hand. I waited for the shot, but it never came. The gun was empty.

As Hiaga reached towards his knife, I jumped up, gritting my teeth and bearing the pain of putting weight on my broken leg. Limping towards him, I drew the one weapon I have- a short knife, trying to stab him while his back was turned. He turned around and whipped out his knife, parrying my thrust. We fought and fought, Hiaga slowly gaining on me.

Even though the odds were in his favor, we were fairly even in our fighting, the rage and adrenaline in me sharpening my mind and body. It seemed as if the duel was never going to end, we both heard Yamini scream, unintelligible in the cavernous, twisting tunnels. We both turned at the same time, but Hiaga seemed extremely concerned, forgetting completely about our fight. Seizing the opportunity, I walked towards him and flicked the knife out of his hand. Enraged, he started to reach for my throat, but before he knew it my knife was at his throat, drawing a few ruby-red drops of blood.

"Are you going to help your precious Queen or am I going to have to kill you?" I say, my voice shaking now with rage instead of fear.

Despite his pride, he turned and ran towards Yamini's scream.
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:39 pm
Alvarin says...

Spoiler! :
I repeat: It's Haigha and Yamani, not Hiaga and Yamini.

Haigha March - The March Hare
Jubiah had gotten better, that much was clear. We were even now, or as good as. If I had my other gun things would be looking very differently. A sudden scream attracted my attention. It was Yamani, and she was angry. Very angry. Which meant that she had to be fighting someone. I should go and protect her, but she'd probably be alright on her own. Minerva was by her side, after all. I didn't know what to do, and suddenly realized that I had actually forgotten about Jubiah. He disarmed me before I had time to do anything, and when I reached for his throat he put his blade against my throat.

I looked at Jubiah in shock. How could I've been so stupid? Even now my mind was occupied with Yamani, and I could stop worrying. "Are you going to help your precious Queen or am I going to have to kill you?" He was letting me go, just like that? I blinked, surprised and confused, but then I turned to run after Yamani.

The cave was very narrow at places, and I had to squeeze my way through. I heard the sounds of fighting up ahead, and hurried even more. Behind me I heard Jubiah's footsteps. I was well aware that I was leading him right too Yamani, but that didn't matter right now.

I finally spotted Yamani and Minerva. Yamani was fighting that girl from before, the one who had saved Jubiah. This wasn't good, not at all. To my surprise it looked like Minerva was trying to keep them apart.

Minerva saw me approach, and focused on keeping Luna away while I pulled Yamani towards me. She fought at first, before she realized who I was and stopped. She touched my throat, just where Jubiah's knife had been. "You're bleeding."

I hadn't noticed it myself, so I shrugged and turned towards the girl. "I though we had a deal," said Minerva.

"We did, if she can behave."

Yamani made a move to charge towards the girl again, but I held her back. Jubiah's footsteps were getting closer. I squeezed Yamani's shoulder and nodded towards the way I had come. She listened and realized what I meant.

"Fine, I'll behave. You go and distract Jubiah while we get away. You can find us later to claim.. Whatever it is you want."

To my surprise, the girl actually did what she was told to do, and headed back through the cave. I followed Yamani and Minerva out through the cave and into a forest. "If we keep heading this way we're going to reach the northern countries in a week or two."

The north. I had been on a mission there earlier, and my parents were originally from the north. It was where it all had started for me. "Lets get horses in the closest town, and we'll make it there in just a few day."

Yamani and I agreed. I could tell that Yamani wasn't happy about leaving Wonderland. She had lost, after all that fighting and bloodshed she had lost. But maybe it was for the better. This way she'd be out of harms way, and I could look after her without having to perform my duties as a soldier. This way we'd get closed to each other.

"What are you smiling about?" I looked down on Yamani and my smile grew even wider. I shrugged and then I looked up to the sky. The sun was warm, the sky blue, the queen safe. What more could I ask for? "Oh, yeah. The sun, that fantastic. Just f-ing fantastic! My sister is going to ruin my country!"

She sounded angry, but I knew she felt more than she let show. I decided to do something that I hadn't done one years, not since she was first crowned. I took my sword and held it in my hands, as if I was offering it to her, and then I went down on one knee with my eyes on the ground. It was what the soldiers in the elite forces did to show their loyalty to the monarch. If she wanted to take the throne back, then I would fight for her, like I always had.

She sighed. "Haigha, I already know you're loyal.." I looked up with a frown and held out the sword to her. I didn't want to prove my loyalty, I wanted to prove that she still had people that were willing to fight for her, and that if she wanted to take the throne back, she could. "Get up." I blinked. Wasn't fighting what she wanted? "Get up," she repeated, and this time I did as I was told. She swung her hand towards me, and at first I thought she was going to hit me, but instead she grabbed my jacket and pulled me down and kissed me. "Lets leave now, before it gets dark," she muttered and let me go.

I couldn't stop smiling. She might act like that, she always did, but I knew it had worked. That half concealed look of despair in her eyes had disappeared and been replaced by fierceness.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

50 Reviews

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 am
Pencil2paper says...

Spoiler! :
Oops, sorry! I do that all the time, and not just with character names either. I think I may be slightly dyslexic... it runs in my family.

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:30 pm
Shady says...

Yamani (Queen of Hearts)

We'd made a deal. We'd avoided a potentially bad situation. I didn't care-- I was still pissed. Minerva studied me a long moment. "I suppose, whatever we're planning to do, now is merely a time to lie low and see what awaits us."

I cringed and turned away from them, fists clenched. 'Lie low and see what awaits us'-- few other words were as taxing on my pride. I was a predator, not the prey-- predators didn't wait to see what would await them.

"Yamani...?" Minerva asked.

"Fine." I snapped, starting out of the cave. "I'm going to get Haigha."

"That's what I'd say too." Luna sneered.

I stopped, my back stiff, fists clenched, trying to keep my mouth and my fists from running loose. Minerva's hands landed on my shoulders, gently but firmly pushing me forward. "Good, then we're in agreement-- let's go."

I shrugged her hands off and stormed in front of them, towards the little opening of the cave. Miranda was gone, I noticed. I stopped just before the hole. Miranda was crafty. She might've decided to kill me anyway, and was hiding somewhere.

I crept towards the opening, peering into the darkness suspiciously.

"What? You afraid of the Boogey man?"

I whirled around on Luna.

"Or your sister?"

"More afraid of my sister than I am you-- and my sister's nothing special."

"Just go!" She pushed me.

I stumbled backward...into the hole. I flailed my arms as I fell, landing heavily, 10 feet below, on my left leg, awkwardly twisting and falling on it. Rage bubbled inside, me, all thoughts of Miranda gone-- and I screamed, angry, ready to kill the bitch.

"Yamani?" Minerva sounded a bit worried.

I spewed curses as I forced myself to my feet, unwilling to let myself whimper as a sharp pain ran the length of my left leg, and my knee gave out.

"Are you okay?" Minerva asked.

"Tell her to get her fucking ass down here!" I snarled.

"Is that a yes?"

I sighed loudly. "Yes."

"Good--"

"On my way!" Luna landed in front of me a moment later.

"What- no! No, no, no- absolutely-- stop!" Minerva scrambled down the ladder as I threw myself at Luna, knocking her backward with an uppercut.

Luna recovered quickly, landing a solid blow on my cheek. I stumbled backward, my left leg giving out. I growled in irritation and forced myself back to my feet, limping toward her...Minerva was between us, trying to hold us apart, desperately trying to talk some sense into us.

Minerva looked over my shoulder, looked relieved, and then turned towards Luna-- as large arms wrapped around me and pulled me backward. I drove my elbows into my captor's sides, tossing my head, trying to headbutt them...until I saw Haigha. I stopped and let him hold me, panting, as I twisted in his arms and studied him.

His neck was cut. I touched it gently. "You're bleeding."

He shrugged, turning me loose, as he turned towards the girl.

"I though we had a deal," Minerva said.

"We did, if she can behave."

I took a step towards Luna, but Haigha's strong arms held me back. He squeezed my shoulder and nodded behind him. I strained my ears for a long moment, listening to the echoing of footsteps approaching.

"Fine, I'll behave." I turned towards Luna. "You go and distract Jubiah while we get away. You can find us later to claim.. Whatever it is you want."

Surprisingly, she actually nodded and went towards the steps.

We climbed out of the cave, slowly, me unable to put weight on my left leg for very long. "If we keep heading this way we're going to reach the northern countries in a week or two."

"Let's get horses in the closest town, and we'll make it there in just a few day." Minerva suggested.

I nodded, glancing over my shoulder, over my beloved, broken city. Lordshire's going to run my country into the ground...

I took a deep breath, swallowing hard, trying to keep my composure. I looked up at Haigha, for support, and found him...grinning.

"What are you smiling about?" I snarled.

He looked down at me and his grin broadened. He shrugged and looked at the sky.

"Oh, yeah, the sun, that's fantastic. Just fucking fantastic! My sister is going to ruin my country!" Because I failed. I failed, and the people are going to suffer for it.

Haigha looked at me for a long moment, before drawing his sword. He held it flat on his hands and held it out to me, kneeling, eyes on the ground. I stopped, and looked at him, a bit startled.

I sighed. "Haigha, I already know you're loyal..."

He looked up at me and frowned, holding the sword out further.

I hesitated. "Get up."

He blinked.

"Get up," I repeated, shifting uneasily. I didn't deserve his loyalty.

He stood, looking into my eyes. Can't you see that? I failed. His eyes...he did see. And he's following me anyway...

I grabbed his shirt and pulled him down, and kissed him. "Lets leave now, before it gets dark."

I let go, biting my lip, as I turned away. I might've failed, this time, but I had Haigha and Minerva-- and I wouldn't stay down long. Lordshire could have his fifteen minutes of fame, but I'd be back, and I'd bring an army with me.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:30 pm
Shady says...

Spoiler! :
I know several people wanted me to post. Let me know if I missed anything anyone wanted said.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:18 pm
veeren says...

Lord Lordshire (Knave of Hearts)

I was surprised to see how much of the town had actually shown up. Granted, it would've been better if I called for the entire city, but news spreads quickly around here, doesn't it?

With a mix of rebel and heart soldiers following behind me, I made my way into the middle of the crowd where I was greeted by a large rock for me to stand on. I hopped on and shouted for attention, "Quiet down everyone! You'll hear why we've all gathered here very soon."

I thought through my options. It had been a while since I sent Jubiah and Miranda after Yamani's crew. There were only two possible reasons that they hadn't returned yet; they let them get away and were too ashamed to show their faces in front of me, or they were both dead. But if they were dead, Yamani's ego would've told her to come rub it in my face, and probably kill me too. The fact that no one had shown up was honestly a bit frightening.

Well what better way to make use of their absence than take over the country?

"My fellow citizens of Wonderland, I bring you news today of the past hour in Wonderland. The Queen of Hearts, Madam Yamani Marble, who was your ruler for only a short period of time in this old and astonishing place we call home, has passed on..."

I paused as the crowd roared with mixed reactions. From some there were cheers of excitement, from other there were cries of despair.

"Why do the good die young!" Came one voice.

"The fool was never fit to begin with!" Came another.

"Cease, my brothers and sisters!" I said once they were calm enough, "I know that a universal opinion on her hasn't been decided yet, but only time will show the good she has done. She may have seemed like a bad leader, but she was a kind soul who acted in the complete interest of the people. It was her inexperience that killed her in the end. However, there is more to this tragedy. The second heir to the throne, The White Queen Miranda Marble, is also dead..."

More noise.

"Yes, yes, unfortunate as it is, their fates have been sealed. Many would say Miranda and Yamani never liked each other, but that theory has been proven false along with the deaths of the sisters. The Queen had received intelligence from one of her most trusted soldiers, Haigha, about a small group from a neighboring nation planning on invading Wonderland to set fire to the streets. The plot was to be carried out by just a small group, and the Queen thought it'd be in her best interest to face off against the threat personally. So along with her sister, a few of her soldiers, and myself, we made our way towards the rendezvous point of the invaders and were successfully able to sneak up on them. However, we miscalculated the size of our enemy and soon found out that we bit off quite a bit more than we could chew. We fought valiantly for a short period, until the Queen was struck. I will spare you the details of her death, but we were successful in that we killed the leader of the whole plot. It wasn't until the White Queen was on the brink of dying that she sent me back to Wonderland, for she knew that even with this disorganized bunch, we were fighting a losing battle. So here I am now, retelling the story she so desperately wanted me to reveal to you. The sisters might've hated each other, but they knew what was good for the citizens, and they fought to their deaths defending you all."

I let the crowd take it all in.

"But we are not without a new leader. Before my leave, Madam Miranda Marble had bestowed upon me the honor and duty of being the King of Wonderland. I, Lord Lordshire, known as the Knave of Hearts to some and the Royal Prodigy to others, am your new king, and do solemnly swear that I will not disappoint the people. I will act in the best interest of you all, the people of Wonderland. My fellow citizens, I promise to be your king."

A small cheer went through the audience, and a few people were actually clapping.

"The future is bright, my friends. No longer will we be plagued by famine. No longer will we have crime flooding the beautiful streets of our towns. And most importantly, no longer will we be pushed around by nations larger than us. We will grow to be a nation stronger than any other! They will look up to us as the epitome of all countries. What they will see is, the future."

The crowd erupted into cheers as I was hoisted onto the shoulders of a few soldiers. I guess I could save for all the formalities of becoming king for later. Why not celebrate now? I was the new king.

Fools.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

50 Reviews

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 am
View Likes
Pencil2paper says...

Jubiah

After Haiga ran to save his beloved queen from what I assumed could only be Miranda, I ran after him- I wasn't about to let Miranda have all the fun. But soon enough, I turned from fight mode to flight mode as I heard footsteps- not loud like the others, but softer, like a trained assassin. Knowing that this could only mean trouble, and that I didn't have time to run, I backed up against the wall, trying my hardest to blend in with the wall and not make a sound.

But my gaurd dropped as I saw the familiar face of... Luna?

"Luna, what are you doing down-" I began to ask, but was cut off when one of her razor-sharp daggers whistled past my ear.

"That was your one warning." Luna said, frank and unperturbed. "Leave now or the next one's between your eyes."

"But... Luna... why?" was all I thought to ask. I hadn't moved, not an inch. I just couldn't comprehend that Luna of all people would be trying to kill me. I mean, we weren't the greatest of friends, but she had helped me in the past. I guess you really couldn't trust anyone.

"What can I say? I'm not a rebel, not a heart. I just help whoever needs it. Yamini needed it." She shrugged, as if betraying someone's trust was an everyday occasion. But in Wonderland, it almost was.

"So they sent you to kill me? Is that it?" I ask accusingly."

"No, not to kill you. Just keep you occupied."

"Well, then let's get it over with." I say, drawing my two remaining daggers.

With that we charged at each other, ready to fight. At first my parries and blows were half-hearted, still unwilling to accept that Luna would acutally try to hurt me. But soon enough I realized that she wasn't playing around. I switched to full-on battle mode, every step, every move, every swoop of my blades carefully executed and purposeful. But she was good. Very good. With every thrust of her knife, it was all I could do to parry it and prepare a counter-attack. Butthe tides turned when I landed a lucky shot- many cuts and hours later- which knocked Luna's remaining blade out of her hand, leavimg eher defenseless, or so I thought.

I walked up to her, the tip of my knife at her throat. But qiuck as lightning, before I realized what happened, she grabbed my wrist and flipped me over her shoulder, l anding hard on the floor, flat on my back. Quickly, I get back up, ready to fight more if need be. But only if necessary.

"Look," I say as I duck, narrowly avoiding her roundhouse kick. at my temple. "I don't want to fght you." I pause as I dodge a punch. "Yamini and Minerva are either dead or long gone by now. I won't follow them. There's no point. They're no threat now. Yes, I want to kill Yamini, but they're gone now. You've done what they've asked. If we stop fighting now, I will tell Lordshire nothing of this." I say, pausing occasionaly to dodge the various kicks and punches hurled my way. As if to prove my point, I drop my knives, which clatter dramatically to the ground.

Hearing this, Luna pauses, and says, "Are you f*cking with me?"

"No."

"Okay. But I'll be watching. If even a hint of what happened here gets back to Lordshire or anyone else..."

"It won't."

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud