z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 17)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Heh." He snorted and continued his progress toward the orchard. "I've had people trying to chase her down all morning with no luck. I had to postpone an exquisite foot massage to look for her myself, since nobody else is competent enough to find her." He rapped his walking stick on the stones. "Ugh."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:00 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I’m sorry, Papa.” Lia trotted after him. “What’s it about? I’m sure she’ll emerge when it’s time for food.” She rolled her eyes.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Yes, well, this can't wait. We leave tomorrow. I've got her servants packing her bags and you should get yours going, too. We're going North!"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:02 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“What?” Lia looked at him in alarm. “Why?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Diplomatic reasons. We've got to throw our hats into somebody's ring; me and Shea have to figure out which one." He glanced at her. "How're your language studies coming along? You'll have to make friends with the young Ashes and Loquiturs, I expect."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:07 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh.” She was quiet for a moment, then nodded. “I’ll… brush up on my Upper Tongue…”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:09 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Excellent idea. I can have your tutors brought along as well, if you want." He glanced at her. "Remember, they're not much fun. Stiff and stuffy savages. You just have to be polite and pretend to have fun so they're not offended, right?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:11 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes, Papa…” Lia nodded glumly. “I’ll do my best.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:13 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's my girl." He gave her a quick, loose hug and kept walking. "And you'll help your sister behave, won't you? Can't be upsetting them, especially the Ashes."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:14 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I can’t do anything with her,” Lia huffed. “She thinks she’s sooo much better than me.”

(The sheer irony lol)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hehehe)

"Pff, well, try to keep her in line. We can't afford to mess this up. RANA!" He strode into the orchard. "Come on!"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:23 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Rana had fallen asleep in one of the trees, her book cracked open and resting across her eyes. They’d been talking long enough that they approached without her hearing until now, when she started awake. Her book fell first and she instinctively went to grab it, but that pulled her off balance and she fell off the branch after it. She tried to toss her legs around faster to be able to catch herself but all it ended up doing was twisting her around so that she struck her abdomen — hard — on the branch below. And then promptly slid off it, too.

She coughed, winded, and fell flat on her ass. The book was fanned open next to her, spine ripped. She gathered it up and then a quickly stood and stumbled behind the tree, hoping she stayed out of sight as she tried to muffle her coughs. Gods. Usually she was better about not letting him sneak up on her like this. Hopefully he hadn’t seen her.

Lia had. She sighed and rolled her eyes as she looked up at her father.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:27 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Cairbry's head had jerked toward the noise and saw the branches rustle. He turned toward the tree and stepped off the path, nearly immediately losing his footing on the uneven ground. He stumbled, recovered, then tottered toward the tree. "Rana, I see you! Come out this instant!"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She gave another weak cough, trying to muffle it, then sighed. He probably had. That hadn’t been suave. And it sounded like he was approaching. Godsdamn it.

She quickly bent and rolled up the legs of the trousers she’d snagged from one of the stable boys, then untucked her dress from her belt, letting it fall around her legs in what she hoped would be a convincing manner that she was wearing a dress not trousers. She reached up and let her hair down and clumsily ran her fingers through it, trying to smooth it down, but it was still kind of disastrous. Then she gathered up the ripped pages of her book and fit them back together, still coughing quietly.

Then she sighed again and braced herself and reluctantly stepped into view.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Cairbry was red in the face now. "Well? What do you have to say for yourself? Sending everybody willy nilly, making me stop my day to look for you."

she/her

I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec