z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 14)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Ky… has lots of siblings, in fact,” Derik said hesitantly. “Both the niece that I raised and Ky are my eldest brother’s. Not Zander’s.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:48 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas sat down in the chair, looking pale. "Oh."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:52 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

He looked positively unwell. Derik remained standing a polite distance away. “…I’m sorry. I know this is a lot.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He nodded. "Too much. Gods...why--why have they been adopted again? What happened?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik let out a little sigh. “It’s complicated and messy and dangerous to share too many details… but a threat was made on their lives shortly after they were born. By people who could carry out their threat. Zander hid the girls with adoptive families so they wouldn’t be easily findable.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Is that why he moves so much?" He rubbed his head, closing his eyes for a moment.

she/her

935 Reviews

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:59 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes.” Derik dipped his head. “He pissed off a lot of people who have a lot of resources they’re willing to throw at him. He’s gonna be running til he or they die.” Probably him, if they were being honest. Zander had been running on his 9th life for quite some time now.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"And..." He took a deep breath. "Who's her real dad?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:04 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“You are. One of them,” Derik said carefully. This was going to crush Ky and Jer but it seemed Tomhas needed gentleness, too. It was understandable. “Your love for her is no less valid than it was ten minutes ago when you thought she came from the farmer’s loins.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:12 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Spoiler! :

He nodded hesitantly. "But...who is the one--the first?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:18 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Haha)

Derik was quiet for a moment. It didn’t seem wise to share names, given Ash seemed hell bent on getting Ky killed. But then again, would it really be much easier to track down three brothers instead of just two? It’d be pretty obviously their country if someone found a Zander and Derik who were exiled from their home just the same as if they knew the names of all three brothers. Still. It felt wrong. And Zander had told him not to name names. Especially with the father. “… I’m not sure it’s wise to speak his name,” Derik said at last. “We’re from a prominent family. Best not leave too many breadcrumbs leading back to it. For the girls.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"But--" Tomhas looked toward Gaius miserably.
"He's right," Gaius said. "This is rather high stakes, which is why the information you've received cannot leave this room. They have to leave soon as well; they'll be housed in the village until appropriate."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik nodded in agreement. Good. At least Ash was making one good decision at the very least. “I’m sorry. I know how frustrating it is to be left in the dark.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It is," he sighed. "I...is there any way I can find out more for Ky? I need to know in case...in case I have to break this to her later down the line and you aren't here to help."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:32 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik nodded thoughtfully. That was a surprisingly well-thought-through sentiment. "...I will let Zander answer that question when he gets here. He's been managing all the girls their whole lives; I imagine he'd have more guidance on how much they should know. What would be safe for them to know... especially given... well, they're all rather young yet. I don't know how well they'd be able to keep this secret. And their lives quite literally depend on it."

(You will need to make a new thread with your next response or I can just split the topic easily if you wanna reply here ^^)

[they/he]

"And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
— Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland