z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:29 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"May I see your armor?" he asked. "Or a piece of jewelry will do. What is it you seek in return?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:39 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Our armor has been taken to the barracks and you’re more than welcome to see it whenever you’d like,” Derik answered with a nod. He didn’t know where, yet, though. So probably best not to offer to have one of the kids go fetch it. Derik reached down the front of his shirt to the little pocket he had attached to inside of nearly all his tunics. He pulled out a small pouch and then pulled out a small ring from it, leaning over to hold it out to Gaius. “This was my wife’s.”

It was dainty and made out of white gold with a small green gemstone, a sapphire, and a diamond all woven into the band with delicate settings. There were small carvings around the band itself making it an overall beautiful piece.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:14 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(To Zander?)

Gaius took it gingerly and examined it quietly, brow furrowed as he turned the ring over in the palm of his right hand, then returned it. "That's intricate craftsmanship," he said with a nod. "Very skillfully done."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:25 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Ah sorry! This was literally the first thing I did when I woke up from a nap… clearly was not completely awake haha)

“Thank you.” Derik nodded and took it, returning it to his pouch then pocketing it. “I’m rather fond of it. And there’s plenty more where it came from. Gold. Silver. Platinum. Steel. And gems of all varieties, shapes, and sizes.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:32 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Ah hehe I figured)

"It's cheaper to import those items from the Eastern Realm," Gaius pointed out. "They mine in the Southern Realm, so one would assume the quality is much the same."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:34 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“We’re willing to negotiate, depending on what can be offered in return,” Derik answered. “We’re interested in experiencing foreign cultures and products, not your coin.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:42 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius dipped his head thoughtfully. "My territory exports fish regularly, and we sell whale as well. Textiles is a large export too, as are our woodwork."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:48 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“That all sounds very interesting,” Derik said thoughtfully. “I’d like to see some of the handiwork; I’m sure it’s beautiful.”

“Can I try whale?” Jerica asked, forgetting she wasn’t supposed to be talking. She’d only seen whales in picture books. She didn’t think people ate them. How interesting. Exotic. Derik glanced at her with a disapproving look. Oh. Right. Shutting up. She had one job. She glanced back at Ash sheepishly. “If not it’s okay; I wouldn’t want to cause… a…” what was the right word. “…inconvenience?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You certainly could," he mused, wrinkling his nose briefly. "It tends to be eaten out of necessity before pleasure; we hunt them for oil and bone. But be my guest; we'll have some prepared for dinner."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:56 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh.” Had that been a stupid request? Oops. “Um… thank you.” She dipped her head, swallowing the million questions that sprang to mind. Shutting up. She could do this.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:00 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius returned the nod, studying her for a moment before looking back to Derik. "My desk here has been in the family for generations, but it reflects the workmanship you could expect on any carving that we ship out." He indicated the lip of the desk as well as the legs, which were carved with winding serpents.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:06 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Jerica straightened her shoulders and raised her chin a little when she realized he was watching her deflated. Couldn’t have him thinking it was because of himself. Derik was the only one who could make her back down.

“It’s beautiful,” Derik said, admiring the desk. “Is there any type of furniture that is particularly Northern?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:11 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Most certainly. We tend to prefer high-backed chairs and sturdy tables. There are a lot of intricate knots we work with, much like the Eastern knots. Motifs vary."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:13 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik nodded. “I bet those would make a nice addition to our library.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm sure." Gaius raised an eyebrow. "What sorts of books do you have in your library?"

she/her

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical