z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:27 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I'm not much of a musician." Nor would he ever be. "There are specialized librarians who could recommend something, though." His eyes flicked toward Jerica and Kieran. "What about these two? Do you read?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:33 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Kieran’s eyes went wide and he glanced at Jerica to see if he had to answer or if she was going to do it for him. She glanced over at him, then back at Ash, forcing her expression to stay neutral. She didn’t like it when academics came up. Especially reading. She understood why it was important, but it didn’t make her hate it with any less of a fiery passion. It was so hard. And it never got easier, no matter how much she practiced like Derik said it would. “Um… yes, we can both read.” She nodded. “Sir.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:35 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

That wasn't what he'd asked, but he'd let it slide. Gaius dipped his head. "May I ask what it is you read?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:40 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Well, shit. So much for a non-answer.

“Um… I read Professor Orsetov’s science textbooks as he’s drafting them,” Jerica answered. He always chided her when she put it that he wanted dumb kids to be able to understand his work and that’s why he had her beta read them. But that’s what was going on and she knew it. She glanced over at Kieran. “He’s still learning, but he seems to have an affinity for books about animals and farming broadly.”

Kieran ducked his head in agreement.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:42 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"We have extensive collections of wildlife books and scientific books as well. Perhaps one or two from this Professor Orsetov, though the name isn't familiar to me." He watched Kieran for a moment, then looked back to Jerica. "What field does he study?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:46 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Mostly physiology — we do a lot of dissections,” Jerica answered. “But also some chemistry as it relates to physiology.”

(Funny you mentioned his name because it is possible his name is the most crackbrained one I’ve ever dreamt up xD I couldn’t figure out a name for him to save my life so I finally just started cramming words together and taking chunks out of the middle until I had a combination of syllables. His came from instructions on how to use a stove that went “or set oven to—“ xD OrSetOv)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:48 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Well it sounds delightfully Slavic so I think you did well)

"Ah." He nodded. "I expect that's a useful pursuit." The Northern Realm was so far behind; this all sounded intriguing. He needed to focus on business but perhaps later he'd ask about that.

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:52 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Thanks ^^ )

“It’s fun,” Jerica agreed with a nod. Then realized she was a soldier and wasn’t supposed to be talking about having fun. An officer, no less. She quickly corrected, “interesting… important… mostly important.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:55 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It can be all of those things." He turned his attention back to Derik. "Do you have something else besides metal to offer?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:56 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“We’ve also got crops and grains. I imagine those are difficult to grow in this habitat.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:57 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Quite." He nodded. "We do have a trade agreement with Austraka, however. They provide most of our grains."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:00 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“Fair enough,” Derik acknowledged with a nod. “We’ve got a few variety of tree fruits that they don’t, but on the whole our agriculture is fairly similar.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:06 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"That's the issue with dealing with a single faction instead of an entire Realm," he mused. "I suppose the metal work is the main appeal so far."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:17 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“We’ve got horses, too,” Jerica piped up. “I’m nearly through training a gelding and I’ve got a young mare that’ll only take another year or so.”

Derik glanced over at her, wishing she’d stop talking.

“… she does train horses very well,” Derik allowed, glancing back at Ash. “Though obviously we can’t offer that on a large scale.”

(In canon the Ainsley family is known for having excellent horses, though they only supply them for themselves + Kieran no one else lol)

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"My son and my adoptive niece also share an interest in horses," Gaius said after a pause. "We have a friend array of wooly horses from the North, though they wouldn't do well in the South with all their hair."

she/her

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star