z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 13)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:46 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(@GrandWild bruhhhh I resist no self-congratulatory remarks this time xD thirteen!)

"He mostly just insulted Tomhas and then insulted me when I got mad at him for insulting Tomhas." She shrugged, glancing over her shoulder. "It was mostly us just being rude to one another rather than him being helpful with any new information."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:50 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh my god oh my god)

(Shit is gonna hit the fan on lucky number Thirteen I am READY)

"Mm." He nodded, downing his tea and pouring more. "Well, that's not out of the ordinary for him. When you see him again, kindly tell him where he can stick his regrets. Or point me to a place where I can leave a strongly worded note. I don't want his pity."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:54 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(hahaha yesssss)(one of my friends I haven't seen in the past six years is here visiting me and I was giving her a general summary of what's been going on and especially yesterday and today because I have been so distracted by this xD and was like bruhhhh I feel like Ky is going to run into Michael in front of Gais and it's going to be so awful and it'll be fantastic because we are sadists and I can't wait xD)

"Don't blame you." She nodded. "I gave him the opportunity for a proper apology and he didn't give it. Shocking. Really." Her tone was flat, delivering her sarcasm well.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:56 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh mannnn
I mean I was gonna have it happen when Ky was alone but that's even better)

Gaius shook his head. "Why couldn't he just let go like Mother did? It'd make this so much easier. Michael....wait, did he mention Michael?" He looked up. "Is Michael here?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(hahaha yesss can't wait)(honestly, both ways would be delightfully painful. You may be onto something to have it be one-on-one for more concentrated angst rather than trying to balance three characters, but maybe she runs away and wham squarely into Gaius so it gets even worse somehow xD or whatever idc I leave it to your discretion but I am excited haha)

"Wait, how'd you know your mother left?" Ky asked, looking at him. Distract. Deflect. Gods, gods, gods.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:03 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(That would be so perfect omg
I'll give it some thought but that idea is *chef kiss*)

"There's no way my mother is hanging about in this place. Unless she is?" He looked to her. "She isn't, is she?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:05 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"No," she agreed, shaking her head. "She passed on. Was she... unhappy here? I... don't think I've actually heard much about her."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"She married my father for love despite their parents' wishes--they were first cousins. He then proceeded to be an overbearing wretch who controlled her every move. She lost her first child when he was a year old, then birthed a monster, then she had a sickly little thing that needed constant care in the first years of life. Then she had Cecily and that was alright, but everything was ruined thrice over when Brogan Loquitur took her aside one night in Rein and Tomhas was born nine months after that. So no. She wasn't happy." He leaned forward. "Did my brothers stay?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:15 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oscar passed," Ky allowed, trying with everything within her to figure out a way to derail this conversation before she had to lie outright. And to think of what lie she was going to tell when it did inevitably get to that point; Gaius wasn't the type to relent easily. "So did Modestus and Venr. He said he doesn't know about most of the others; he keeps to himself in the library."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:18 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius's expression hardened, then grew cold, and he clenched his fists again. The injured one was twitching frantically. "I beg of you," he said, trying very hard to keep his voice even, "stop tormenting me and give me a straight answer. Just this once. Please. You've drawn it out long enough that I should know now, but I want to hear it said."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:23 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky swallowed hard, a lead weight slamming into her gut. She couldn't tell him. Look at how anguished he was. He'd go insane if he knew the truth. No. This was a burden that she had to carry alone. Forever. "He doesn't know for sure-- apparently Michael didn't like the library in life or death, according to him, which seems to be where he spends most of his time -- but he thinks he's passed on. He's too unstable of a spirit to manifest."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:28 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius remained tense, staring at her hard and long for about a minute before the weight finally eased itself partway off his chest and his shoulders relaxed slightly. That was believable. It made sense that Michael would waver too much to stay on this plane. And Ky feared authority enough that she'd have to have responded truthfully to that request.
He let out a small, shaky breath, rubbing at his eyes for a moment; they felt achey and heavy, as if he was about to cry. "Alright," he said softly. "Thank you."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:34 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky felt like she was going to spontaneously combust in the silence, and then watching the weight fall off his shoulders felt like a blow thrice as hard to her own gut. She was terrible. What a slimy, Aleth-y, awful, bastard she was. Still. She'd done it for a good reason. She had. And... well... so long as she played her cards right, he never needed to know the truth.

Her throat felt tight but she nodded in acknowledgment.

He'd hate her if he ever learned the truth. Even now. If she fessed up to her fib this very instant he'd hate her with a burning passion. It'd get progressively worse with each microsecond that passed. But... she was right in this. She was.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:36 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He rubbed at his face for a few more seconds, feeling dangerously close to tears despite himself, then slowly raised his head. This wasn't fun anymore. He wanted to curl up in bed in Sara's arms and forget he'd ever heard this from Ky. Forget the gods, forget everything. But he was here now and he'd asked Ky to fetch these books. He needed to stick around for her at the very least so he could answer any questions she might have. But gods, he was tired and he felt so weak.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:39 am
View Likes
Shady says...

He looked terrible. As bad as she felt.

"... I would like to put a pin in this," she said quietly, voice deliberate. "I need to have time to feel before I will be able to think well." You do, too.

[they/he]

Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp