z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 4)

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:02 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I wish I could have been of more use," was all Gaius said to that. He used to be able to fight; he'd been quite good at it before his sword hand was maimed and his leg was shattered. If he'd been whole he could have gutted that assassin in a few seconds. And he would have, too. He wouldn't have made it quick, that much was certain. It was agony to be old before his time, to have aches and pains that shouldn't have come until he was at least sixty. But that wasn't his fault, it was Michael's.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:05 am
View Likes
Shady says...

“You were more than me.” Ky nestled her arm in her lap, staring down at it. All she’d done was run. And here were Zander and Gaius running towards the threat rather than away like she had. And actually managing to make themselves useful in the process. Meanwhile she just got plowed over and stabbed. Didn’t get much more useless than that.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:07 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius didn't respond to that, choosing instead to try and rub off the dried blood still clinging to his hands and under his fingernails. His damaged hand thankfully didn't have too much, just a few spatters. The other was more of a problem, since it had done the stabbing. What he really needed was a bath.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:09 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Her arm was trembling now. She willed it to stop. Willed herself to have the energy to make it through the rest of the night. The next hour. The next five minutes.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:11 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Anneke returned with her nightclothes. "Do you need anything else?" she asked, setting the folded clothes beside her. "We'll post a guard outside your room tonight."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:14 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky shuddered at that. Now, rather than there being a guard to keep her in, there was a guard to keep everyone else out. Or, maybe it was both. She couldn’t very well go wandering around with other bothering the guard. Or getting judged by them. She understood why it was necessary, but it still made her feel bad inside. “No, I think this is all. Thank you.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:16 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Alright. Just let me know if you need anything else." Anneke gave her another hug, then rose. "I'll be putting the little ones to bed. Uncle Wick and Aunt Sara will be around as well."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:19 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded stiffly. She wasn’t sure she could hold it together for more people. All she was sure of was that she needed to change her clothes. Maybe then she wouldn’t feel so terrible. She slowly pushed herself to her feet then stood next to the bed swaying, putting her hand on the mattress to steady herself.

Gods. This was going to be rough. Tadaaki stood, too, ready to go help her.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:21 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Anneke paused by the door to see if she needed assistance, glancing first at Ky then at Zander.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:27 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky was getting so lightheaded. Maybe she should just sit back down.

Zander had stood as well, feeling as though he should be the one helping her. She was his niece after all. And, sure, yes, he was trying not to be possessive and to help her integrate fully. But he’d been her uncle 15 years before these people even knew she existed.

Tadaaki looked between Anneke and Zander, seeing that they both wanted to help her. But he was fairly confident that she’d want his help instead. He’d already seen all the scars — understood how embarrassing they were. Already seen her naked more times than either of them cared to count. “I’ll help her.”

Zander tensed. Who did this man think he was — wanting to see his niece naked? Maybe he didn’t like him so much after all.

Ky looked around, finally sensing the awkwardness in the room. She didn’t know what to do. She didn’t want Anneke to see her, well… yeah. And she certainly didn’t want to strip down in front of her uncle… either uncle, for that matter. And maybe it’d offend them, but— she looked back at Tadaaki. “Yes please.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:30 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius watched Zander's reaction to this with interest. It was obvious Ky trusted Tadaaki completely, but he himself was shocked that she'd allow a grown man into a room with her to help her change. Especially after what she'd been through. They must have a close bond indeed, but obviously Zander didn't see it that way.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:35 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Zander’s gaze snapped towards Ky at that, but she didn’t look at him. Didn’t want to look at any of them. It was yet another choice. And she’d made it. And she didn’t want to be guilted out of it.

Tadaaki sensed her discomfort and stepped around the bed. He wrapped an arm around her back and hefted most of her weight, grabbing her clothes with his other hand as helped her towards the office.

Zander stared after them. Everything within him wanted to argue. Wanted to demand he helped her — or, at least Anneke. He supposed he didn’t particularly want to see his niece naked, either. But this random man? He didn’t like it.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:38 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius watched them go, then went back to fiddling with his cane.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:43 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Zander took a deep breath and sat back down. He didn’t want to make her feel worse. And she’d made her choice. He needed to respect it. And he’d be right here in the next room over — if Tadaaki so much as laid a finger on her he’d hear it. And he could add a third to the tally. He looked back at Gaius. He regarded him in a new light. He was a man who would literally kill to keep his family safe. His respect had grown for him.

Tadaaki set Ky down on the chair and began undoing the buttons on her shirt gently. She reached up with her right hand and carefully pulled off both necklaces, one at a time.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Gaius met his eyes. "She'll be fine," he said quietly. "I think she knows what she's doing by now."

she/her

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright