z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (part 3)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky took a deep breath, hesitating a long, long moment.

He was probably right. This was the man who had personally gone up against Aleth and won. And he had soldiers and assassins to boot he could use to fend off other potential attacks.

Isya and Pratik were the best assassins Aleth had. And Isya had held his own against Pratik before. She had to hope he'd be able to do it again... and that he wasn't the one who'd be coming after her. But she figured Loquitur could call him off, if that was the case. He could pay better than Aleth did, she was sure.

"I believe you," she answered, nodding. She had to let herself believe it. To rest in Loquitur's promises. "... Maybe whoever he paid won't care enough about me, since they've already been paid."

Maybe.

But Aleth had probably found a way to set up a fail-safe that way, too. Maybe he paid someone to hold pay for an assassin, should their services be required. But... then... maybe that person would just keep the money for himself. Maybe human greed would save her skin.

And maybe Loquitur would be able to protect her, even if it didn't.

(whoops I lost count -- I'll try to split this into a new topic)

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

@GrandWild here's a new one haha

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Wow we did another one!)

"Either way," Tomhas promised, "We'll keep you safe. You're family now. And even if you weren't we would."
"I can't really speak for Gaius, but I believe he'll help out as well," Sera added. "I can't promise it but I'll talk to him. When you explain the situation I'm sure he'll understand."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Look at us go! ... we might have a bit of an addiction xD)

"Yes, ma'am," Ky answered, nodding to her. "Thank you."

She looked back at Loquitur. "And thank you... it's been so long since I've been safe... I don't really remember what it feels like... but.. but I'm sure I can learn, again."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:20 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Just a lil bit!)

He smiled slightly. "It'll come with time, Ky. It'll take a bit but it will come." He rose, taking a deep breath. "Are you alright if I leave you here with Sera? I think I have to talk to my brother."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes, sir," Ky said. It slipped out before she could stop it. "Sorry. Yes."

Should she wish him luck? Would he need it?

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas nodded slightly. "I'll be awhile, I think. You've got a tent near mine, if you want to rest til dinnertime. Sera should entertain you otherwise...I think."
"I'll do my best," Sera repled. "I'm chock full of knowledge."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes--" It was going to take a while to break that habit, too. She bobbed her head. "That sounds good... I hope all goes well."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:37 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas nodded slightly and stood, grimacing as he realized he was still covered in blood. Maybe he'd go change his clothes first. "I'll see you two later, then." With that he strode out.

(Wanna skip or get to know Sera? I've got no preference.)

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:39 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Uhh... how about we start chit-chatting and then skip if/when we run out of conversation topics?)

Ky was silent for a long moment, then looked at Sera. She seemed like a very kind lady. A bit solemn -- and had aligned herself with Ash during the war -- but there was something peaceful deep in her eyes. Safe.

"... you're an apothecary?" she asked at last, still not able to handle silences.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:41 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Sounds good!)

"I am." Sera nodded. "I've served House Ash since I was thirteen." She smiled slightly, though it looked a bit out of practice. "You learn a lot in that amount of time."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:43 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I'm sure," she agreed, also with a slight smile. She looked about the same age as the brothers, Ky thought. "... so you knew their Lord Ash and Lord Loquitur when they were young?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:54 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Indeed I did. Lord Ash was only fourteen when I was apprenticed to their apothecary, and Lord Loquitur was seven. Most of what they know, I know as well."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:58 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky's eyebrows shot up. Somehow, that took her off guard. "... I never considered that he was once that small."

It was a foolish sentiment. But she couldn't even begin to imagine that the established, respectable Lords she knew -- with power and riches and children of their own -- children older than that, in Loquitur's case -- had once been children themselves.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Take it from me, he was. He was a wild child, too, always running everywhere. Very high energy." Sera paused. "That holds true today as well. He never really grew out of that. Are you well acquainted with his children?"

she/her

There's a Brazilian things you could write about. You just gotta pick Juan.
— Hattable