z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree (cont'd)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I’m fine, are you?” Ky knew she should obey, but she couldn’t bring herself to sit down. Instead she walked up to him and looked over his shoulder, trying to see if he was hurt. He had blood splashed across him. Her heart stopped, dread hitting her like a ton of bricks, tears starting again as her trembling redoubled. “He hurt you?

Sera and Ash be damned. Loquitur was covered in blood. The truth was before her drowning eyes.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:31 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It's his--it's his blood, not mine." Tomhas ducked his head. "I'm okay."
"In your own time," Gaius said, leaning forward, "I would like a thorough explanation of what just occurred and why it occurred here."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:37 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“It happened because of me. I’m sorry!” Ky scrubbed her eyes, talking with her palms pressed against her eyes. “I cracked, and I shouldn’t have. And I went outside and I shouldn’t have. And then I cracked even more and I shouldn’t have. And I’m sorry!” Ky finally took her hands away from her face, still trembling, looking at Ash, genuinely apologetic. “I’m sorry.” She looked down at Loquitur, still awkwardly standing beside his chair. She meant it even more to him. “I’m sorry I messed everything up. I’m sorry.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:51 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I didn't ask for an apology," Gaius said, voice even. "There's nothing to apologize for--at least not on your side of things. I want to know exactly who Tomhas just killed, the potential repercussions, and why exactly he was killed. And I want to know precisely how you came to draw my brother's attention enough that he's prepared to strike someone down on your behalf. Are you fit to speak of these things, or do you need to wait?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:57 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky squeaked in terror, staring at Ash with wide eyes.

“I think… I will make things worse if I talk.” She subconsciously shifted her weight so she was standing directly behind Loquitur instead of beside him. Putting him between her and the threat. Again. Like an asshole. And yet she couldn’t seem to pull her eyes off Ash. Like a deer being stalked by a lion. Her voice was barely more than a squeak. “Sir.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:24 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"The war is over," Gaius assured her after a moment's hesitation. How could it not be, after what had just happened? "This one, at least." Tomhas glanced up. "But if that's what you wish, I will give you and Tomhas some time to rest." He stood, catching the approving nod from Sera. "I'll be in my tent. There's much to do."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:30 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(Ayeee! We love to see it xD)

Relief washed across Ky. She didn’t even know what to do with herself at that point. So she sank to the ground and pulled her knees to her chest, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. This was okay. Everything was going to be okay.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:33 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Give them some space," Gaius advised the others, and one by one they filed out except for Sera, who remained by both their sides. Tomhas sank into his chair and rested his head on his arms.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky took a few shaky breaths, the adrenaline starting to wear off. She was safe. They were safe. Everything was safe… hopefully.

She looked up as they were finally alone, looking at Sera. “Is the war actually over?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:40 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Gaius wouldn't say something like that without meaning it," Sera replied. "You can both rest easy in that respect, at least." She leaned on the table, gazing at Ky. "You've been through it, haven't you? Poor dear."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:45 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky nodded shakily, pushing herself to her feet. They had all just been through hell and come out the other side.

Then she shook her head. She shouldn’t be accepting sympathy — Loquitur was the one hurting right now. She shouldn’t have made him do what she had. “I mean… it wasn’t that bad… I was used to him.”

Part of that was true.

“I’m sorry…” she wasn’t sure how to properly apologize for all that nonsense. “That I made you do that… I… thank you.” She breathed, putting a hand on his shoulder in hopes she could comfort him. “Thank you.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas flinched as she touched him, then forced himself to relax. It was just Ky. She was kind, she wouldn't hurt anyone. She was going to be his daughter, maybe sort of.
"I made myself do it," he said quietly, gritting his teeth to stop his voice from shaking. "I shouldn't have done it; his life wasn't mine to take, but I did it and I'm dealing with the consequences. You've got no part in it."

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:56 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

She nodded, then realized he couldn’t see her. She looked at her hand uncertainly, not sure if it was helping or making things worse. “Yes, sir.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"You can call me Tomhas." He looked up, eyes red-rimmed and face sickly. "I've never been much of a sir to anyone." And he never would be. He wasn't that kind of man. He wished he'd been born a peasant, sometimes, or a middle-class merchant. All this "milording" and "sirring" and nonsense like that made him feel like an imposter. Perhaps he was one. But no matter what he was, it just made it feel worse that he'd just been chasing an unarmed man about with a longsword and then cut him down. It was something Michael Ash would do. It was something Michael Ash would love.

she/her

935 Reviews

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yes—“ she caught herself before she said it again. It was reflexive at this point. “Yes sir” “No sir” indications of her understanding of their wishes and intention to obey. But his wishes were to not be called sir. And she’d honor that. Did he want her to say it now? “Tom…” she hesitated, everything within her bucking at the attempt to call a Lord by his first name. Even when she wasn’t being respectful with the “Lord” and was just referring to someone casually behind their back it was always last name. Loquitur. Ash. Tarr. Never first name. “Has,” she finished after an awkward pause.

She hesitated again, thinking about what he said. Considering how to comfort him. Was it even possible?

“If it helps… he would have killed me, if you hadn’t, s—“ she cut herself off again. “I embarrassed him. And then I talked back.” Oh, how she’d run her mouth. She shook her head slightly. “ He doesn’t like to be embarrassed.”

[they/he]

The chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
— Warren Buffet