z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:42 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky and Tadaaki both hesitated for half a beat at the doorway.

The servants were along the wall, which meant that's where they should go. Well, that was Tadaaki's gut reaction anyway. Ky was torn between wanting to scuttle -- and wanting to follow Aleth's lead. And it distraught her that neither was an option just then.

"Guests," she whispered to Tadaaki, even though she was trying to convince herself.

"Guests," he agreed quietly.

They both took a deep breath and stepped closer to the table, awkwardly hovering as they awaited their instructions.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas hoisted Peter off his shoulders and into his arms, then sat down at the head of the table. Anneke took a seat beside him, followed by Oscar and Anneliese beside her.
"After this I'm looking forward to a scorching hot bath," Tomhas said appreciatively. "But this looks fantastic, Taran." A gangly older man with a pointed gray beard dipped his head from where he stood with the servants.
"I thought you might want an old favorite after your return, sir," he replied, smiling.
"You were right as always, old fellow." Tomhas's eyes lit up at the sight of the main course, a sweet-glazed goose. "Shall we dig in, everyone?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 am
View Likes
Shady says...

The awkwardness Ky felt was magnifying with each millisecond that passed. She didn't know what to do when someone didn't point and tell her to sit. She was only ever at dinners on Aleth's behalf. The pest. Never invited.

She swallowed hard and took a seat, hoping she didn't pick the wrong one. Loquitur clearly didn't take himself too seriously, but there had to be something that would set him off. All important men had that... didn't they? She didn't know, but she didn't want to accidentally find Loquitur's.

It's just a chair. Shut up.

Tadaaki took the chair beside her, careful to place himself further away.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"We've got to give thanks first," Anneliese reminded her father. Tomhas blinked; he'd nearly forgotten. Giving thanks wasn't custom at Wolf Keep, and even when he was at home for long periods of time Tomhas always had to be prompted by one of his family members.

"Right you are." He smiled sheepishly and cleared his throat, keeping his head high as he began to speak. "Today we give thanks for our safe return home. We give thanks to our cooks, hunters and gardeners that made this spectacular meal possible, and we give thanks for the guests with whom we are so lucky to share our table and our home. Grateful are we."

"Grateful are we," the others echoed, and Tomhas dove in, piling his plate high.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:38 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky felt a pang of homesickness. She hadn't been allowed to practice her faith in years. Aleth didn't like religion. '*I* am your god' he'd say. For a bit, she'd try to give thanks silently, without pausing, so Aleth wouldn't know. But she'd eventually dropped out of the practice.

Listening to Loquitur bless the food for his family sent a lead weight in her stomach. She wanted her father here.

"Grateful are we," she murmured in unison.

Tadaaki didn't know what to do. His family wasn't religious. But he sat respectfully, glancing around as the others echoed Loquitur's final statement. He was still so uneasy to be sitting at the table instead of being off with the servants.

Ky gave his hand a reassuring squeeze under the table then turned back towards her hosts. "It smells absolutely delightful!"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:57 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Taran is a master of flavors," Anneke replied with a grin. "We're very lucky to have him." Tomhas nodded fervently; he quite liked Taran. The cook was clever, witty, and most importantly he was trustworthy. An old war veteran with a bad leg, he had gone with Tomhas when he became Lord of Caracal Keep. He had served as a head cook, an advisor, and a friend ever since.

"So." Constance Barraster, who had entered with the rest, leaned over to Ky from where she sat. "What exactly is the plan for you two? I know Tadaaki's family will be joining him here, but what about you, Ky? Where will you two go after this?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:09 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"I..." The question took Ky off guard. And she didn't have an answer for it. "I don't know, ma'am."

She wasn't sure when 'after this' was going to be, but she had no doubt they'd wear out their welcome here eventually. And she wasn't sure what was going to happen when they did.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to find someone who needs an assistant," Ky added. It was what she was good at. Her saving grace. "Who doesn't know..." Aleth. She decided to leave that part off. "Well, I'll be happy as long as I'm somewhat safe and fed. Ma'am." She dipped her head respectfully, offering a polite smile.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:13 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Well, if the war turns sour for Lord Loquitur, you'd be welcome to stay with me and Arianna. Our Keep is well out of the way of the fighting."

"Not to mention it's in the warmer part of the Northern Realm," Arianna added from beside Constance. "Plus, we have excellent connections. We could find you both an employer if need be--one that's not involved with Aleth."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:20 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"We appreciate that. Ma'ams. You're all most generous." Ky bobbed her head again, feeling some of the tension releasing from her shoulders. They were going to be okay. At least for as long as Aleth was at Serpent Keep. Ky wasn't sure how she'd had the good fortune to cross paths with the Loquiturs and Barrasters -- not after the turn of fate that had landed her with Aleth -- but she was grateful. "And I do hope the war goes as well as a war can go, for his lordship and your ladies."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:36 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"As do we," Constance said grimly. "Lord Ash is a ruthless man; our forces are hard pressed to keep up with him."

"No war talk at the dinner table, ladies," Tomhas interrupted around a mouthful of fish. "Please." Both Barrasters dipped their heads in apology. Tomhas swallowed, glancing at Ky and Tadaaki. They were so young--hell, he was young too, but Tadaaki was barely out of his twenties and he was the oldest of the pair. No one their age should have had to bear what Aleth put them through. Hell, he was putting his own daughter through this now by leaving her with Tarr.

Lyra was sitting at his left, pushing her food around her plate but not eating anything. Tomhas had spoken with her at length about her situation on the way to Caracal Keep: how he could make it better, why she had to stay with Tarr. All his half-hearted reasons seemed inconsequential now as he watched his eldest daughter's wan face.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:41 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky took a big bite of food, relishing the warmth. And abundance. She looked back at Constance. "Will you stay at Caracal Keep long?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:43 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Just for a couple days to rest up, then it's off through Venholm back to our home." Constance smiled ruefully. "I'm not looking forward to the journey, I must confess."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:53 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky returned the smile. “Is it long?”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Long enough to be concerning. We'll have to skirt around the Barren Plains as well, which adds a few days to our journey."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Ky answered. “Do you at least have something to look forward to once you’re home?”

[they/he]

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham