z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon May 31, 2021 2:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Hi! Yeah, I've been on an internet burnout for awhile now but I'm definitely still interested in writing this! It's just a matter of sitting down and getting on YWS for more than a minute at a time. Thank you for the congratulations!)
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(Totally fair! I'm glad you're still interested -- but definitely take your time! No rush at all ^-^ )

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:26 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It's our honor to have you." Anneliese dipped into a curtsy as she walked. "I quite like having guests; it gets a bit tiresome being all cooped up. We used to take trips to Uncle Gaius, but...well, we can't do that anymore."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:17 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh, ah, yes," Ky murmured, caught off guard. How was she even supposed to answer that one? "I'm sure that, uh..."

This was going poorly.

Tadaaki was surprised. Both at what Anneliese said, but more so at Ky's reaction. Ky rarely got thrown off like this. She must be more distraught about being here than even he had thought. Nervous. He tried to think of a way to rescue Ky, like she did for him so many times, but he was still so bad at trying to think on his feet.

"Must be... hard." Ky's face burned with embarrassment. She'd handled that situation so poorly. But she still couldn't think of a way to answer more tactfully. Or how to change the subject. She barely resisted the urge to rub her face. Hopefully it wasn't as flushed as it felt.

Tadaaki looked at her a moment longer, still wishing he could do something to help, but he still couldn't think of anything. That was going to be something he asked Ky to teach him. How to be more charismatic. But, for now, he could only hope Ky would be able to get herself out of the awkward situation on her own.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Yes..." Anneliese looked away, noticing Ky's embarrassment and feeling a bit awkward herself. She hadn't meant to bring that up when they'd only just got here; it was just that she was itching to know what her father had done as far as planning went and when the war would be over. She wanted to see her little cousins again and climb the trees in the courtyard of Serpent Keep. She wanted to play card games with her aunt and uncle and try to best the apothecary at chess.
"It shouldn't be long now," she said determinedly, raising her head high again. "Father and Uncel Gaius care about each other. This is all a silly misunderstanding."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:04 am
View Likes
Shady says...

(AHHHH CONGRATS ON THE MOLD I'M SO HAPPY TO HAVE YOU ON STAFF <33)

Ky glanced towards Loquitur, not quite sure how she should answer that, either. Should she agree that it'd be over soon? Or assert that she was sure Loquitur had a good reason for all of it and it wasn't silly? Or--? She looked back at Anneliese. "Yes, hopefully so..."

Tadaaki watched Ky still come up short. He racked his brain for a way to help her, then remembered what Anneliese had said to begin with. Maybe he could redirect from there. Maybe. "What's your favorite part of having guests?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:25 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Thanks, Shadow!!! I'm happy to be here!)

Anneliese looked over to Tadaaki. He seemed like a nice fellow, and the fact that he seemed to be trying to distract her was both endearing and a tad frustrating. She didn't much like being treated like a child.
"Well," she mused, pushing aside her mild irritation in favor of the new question. "I really like learning about where they've been, what they've seen. I want to be a cartographer when I grow up, so taking notes on where people come from and go to is good practice for that. I've drawn a few maps, too! Maybe I could show them to you after we've eaten. I did one map of the whole continent, one of the Northern Realm, and one of the Southern Realm."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:31 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky gasped, smiling. "Maps! I'd love to see them!"

Finally, a safe topic. And, thankfully, something she actually knew about.

"I've done a fair bit of work with maps, and traveling," she went on, glad to have a mutual interest. "I'm sure you're going to be an excellent cartographer."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:44 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"My father already has a tutor lined up for me, he said," Anneliese went on. "I hope they're nice, whoever they are. I can't stand rude tutors, and neither can my parents. Neither can my siblings."

"For good reason," Tomhas said over his shoulder, overhearing. "I had hellish tutors when I was your age. Utter beasts."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:55 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes, it's quite... unpleasant... to learn under unkind educators," Ky said carefully. She barely resisted the instinctual urge to rub her abdomen as her mind remembered the scars. "I'm sure your father will hire only the best for you, though!"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:47 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I certainly will," Tomhas scoffed. "This isn't some over-priced quack I'm hiring. I'm not Septimus Ash. This woman was a royal cartographer once; retired from the Taral's service about five years ago. She's legendary."
"Rahma Karim," Anneliese said, voice hushed. "We have some of her atlases in the library; the detail is astounding! And she's still exploring and making new maps."

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"That's incredible," Ky said admiringly. "When will you start learning from her?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:15 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"She has postponed her arrival for a month or so," Tomhas replied. "Traveling through battlegrounds is unwise at this stage." Madam Karim was right to do so, in his opinion. It was disappointing for Anneliese, of course, but for Karim's safety it made perfect sense to wait. Gaius had been protecting his borders with jealous zeal, and merchants were already complaining. What chance did a lone cartographer traveling on her own have against his soldiers?

she/her

935 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:28 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Ah, yes, that makes sense." Ky nodded. She was going to have to learn how to navigate this war, soon. Or, at least, to navigate Loquitur. Her instincts -- every single thing Aleth had drilled into her for years -- wanted to turn to flattery. It's what she knew. It's what she was good at. But Loquitur clearly didn't like that. And... she wasn't really sure what he did want from her. "I'm sure her arrival will only be that much sweeter when she can come, then."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:37 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I can hardly wait." Anneliese bounced on her toes as she walked, grinning. "I'm going to be just like her."
Tomhas smiled at her over his shoulder.

The group reached the dining room a few minutes later. It was small, not particularly grand but very homey with a long red cedar table in the middle and a great fire crackling behind the head, where a modest wooden chair was positioned. The other chairs were much the same.
Food had been set out already and servants were standing by the walls, ready to serve.

she/her

Seeing is believing, but feeling is the truth.
— Thomas Fuller