z

Young Writers Society

Two Crows Watch from the Gallows Tree

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:18 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"That makes it all the more admirable that you chose to become kind, I think, sir," Ky answered. "It's easy to lose empathy when things are very good, or very bad, for you. Me." She corrected quickly, instantly regretting the pronoun she chose to use, even though she meant it generally. "People. In general."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Certainly." Tomhas grimaced as the tea singed his tongue again, and he set it down. "I find that Lord Tarr has sunk into that trap--if he ever had empathy to begin with. I think my brother has too much empathy, but he can shove that right aside if he wants. And he wants to all the time."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:27 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"How do you mean?" Ky asked gently, cautiously avoiding agreeing or disagreeing with his assessment of Tarr. Even though it was right.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:42 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Well." Tomhas set the tea down again and flung his legs back over the arm of the seat, leaning back. "Gaius is an angry, angry man. All the time he's got this rage inside that eats away at him. But he can't do anything about it most of the time because that's not the kind of man he is. He isn't like Tarr or our brother Michael; he can't just take a swing at people because he's hurting. So when he sees someone hurting he lets that rage out. Just stops thinking about how the bully will feel and goes to town on him." Tomhas stared at the teacup, fingers beginning to flutter nervously. "I've seen him order people to be dismembered...then he'd leave them like that. Or worse, he'd have them patched up and left in the middle of the town square for all to see. Basically, he's empathetic, but dangerously so."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:48 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh." Ky's voice was small, frightened at the prospects of being with someone like that. It sounded like Aleth, but even more powerful since he was noble. It made her all the more glad that Loquitur had rescued her from having to go. She looked down at the kitten and gently pet him, imagining all the nasty things Aleth things would do if he could team up with a man like Ash.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:51 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Tomhas watched her anxiously, wringing his hands. "He's--he's not all bad, though. I mean, we're at war and he's done terrible things, but he's not a total monster. He loves his family, and he's done amazing work with his subjects. The literacy rate in Venholm is very high. And he fights against slavery, too--fervently."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh, yes, sir, of course!" Ky answered quickly, realizing that her lack of response had upset him. "No one is all-good or all-bad. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just was... imagining what Aleth would do, if he had the same resources... he is... a very proud man."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh--well, he won't have those resources. Not if Gaius finds out what sort of man he is--and he will." Tomhas smiled quickly, nervously. "I didn't mean to bring that up, I'm sorry. Let's think about happier things, eh? We're both on vacation today."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:00 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Yes sir!" Ky answered hastily, feeling strangely unsettled. "Um... you're going for a ride later? Do you enjoy that?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:08 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"I certainly do." The grin became more genuine, a bit more relaxed. "I told you a bit about my Iron-mare. She's been with me a long time, and we get along swimmingly. It's one of our favorite things, heading out early in the morning for a gallop through the woods. Have to watch out for spiders, of course, but there's nothing new about that."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky smiled at him, glad to be past the discomfort of the previous topic. "Are there a lot of spiders in this region?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:16 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Plenty in the Northern Realm, but especially in Venholm and Fangholm. Not so many in Clawholm, but enough to be wary when out at night."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:19 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Fair enough," Ky said. She was quiet for a moment, not quite sure what else to say. "I've never seen a spider."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:22 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Oh no?" Tomhas snorted. "Well, lucky for you then. They're nasty beasts, especially when they're Iron. Damned hard to kill either way." He took a string necklace from around his neck. From it dangled a burlap pouch. "I'm not really one for trophies, but I've got the teeth of an Iron-spider in here. Ambushed me and Anneke on our first trip here and nearly did me in."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:24 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Ky looked from his face to the pouch, eyes wide with admiration. "Whoa..."

[they/he]

Memories, left untranslated, can be disowned; memories untranslatable can become someone else’s story.
— YiYun Li