Young Writers Society

High Point University

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:26 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Benji didn't want to find out what happened if they stayed over the timer, so he took Bo's cue and stepped through the doorway into the forest surrounding Daniel's house. A few moments later, Daniel joined.

Not sure if they could see them or not, Daniel offered a final wave to everyone—and a friendly, encouraging smile to Morri.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:41 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“It’s been a pleasure,” Rek answered with a smile, shaking James’ hand. “I do hope our paths will cross again some day, but even if they don’t, I’ll remember you fondly always. You deserve a life of peace and rest ahead of you.” He glanced up as the timer started ticking down, stomach lurching. He glanced back at James and gave a final nod. “Bye.”

He strode over towards Jerica and their portal, mentally counting down the time they had left. He knew Jerica was going to try to wait til the last possible moment and he wanted to make sure she timed it well. He caught her elbow and very gently navigated her towards the portal. “We leave at 25.”

The urgency of the situation was settling in on Jerica now, helping her focus on the danger rather than her own misery. “Twenty-nine.”

“Twenty-seven,” Rek countered, expecting this haggling and still keeping a countdown in his brain.

“…fine,” she agreed, also expecting this exchange. That would give them time to get through while also making sure that nothing bad happened to any of the others before that. Not that they’d be able to do much about it. But it’d set her mind to ease to have them all safely home before her eyes.

She felt her heart fluttering in her gut as she waved an awkward goodbye vaguely around the room and then stood stiffly next to her own portal, anxiously waiting for the time to pass.

Eighteen… seventeen…sixteen…

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:58 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Spoiler! :
in which we pretend this post happened right after this post and we will pretend it all fits within the timeframe cuz wat is time

After Evaline walked away, Elias noticed that Mel had finished her group hug with Lordshire, Morrigan, Benji, and Daniel, and was now heading towards Jerica. Elias took this opportunity to join, deciding not to dwell too much on unresolved conflict at the moment.

"Awwwh, Jer, you're heading back to your world, right?" Mel said with her arms outstretched for a hug. "I'm going to miss you so much!"

Jerica looked tense and almost-but-not-quite hostile as she looked at her. A moment later her demeanor softened -- ever so slightly -- and she reluctantly opened her arms so Mel would be able to finish the hug. "I'll miss you, too... you were a good friend."

"And still am. We're still friends, you know. Just separated by a little distance," Mel said as she patted her back. She pulled away with a big smile. "Okay, maybe a lot of distance. Maybe you can throw a football for me across worlds?"

Jerica snorted, but smirked a little. "We don't have those back home."

"Then looks like you'll have to use your big brain to invent it!" Mel teased.

Jerica's smirk slowly faded but she nodded. "It'll be... different. But... I am better for having known you. And I will..." She shrugged. "I don't know. You brought out a side of me I didn't know existed. I... will remain puzzled by that."

Mel looked like she was debating trying to fit in a whole conversation in the little time they had together, but instead she opted to offer another hug with a sad, bittersweet smile.

"Maybe it's confusing for you, but for me, it's clear: you're a great person and an even greater friend. I'm glad we got to know each other, and I wish we had more time together. If you somehow figure out how to come to my world, come visit me, you hear? We'll pick out more outfits and sing stupid songs again!" Mel said, finally pulling away from the second hug.

Jerica visibly tensed when Mel called her a 'great person' and stayed tense for the rest of her well-wishing. She was quiet for a long moment before stiffly nodding. "Mm..." She hesitated a beat longer. "I..." She furrowed her brow, then shook her head slightly, clearly not saying whatever was on her mind. "Yes. That sounds good."

Mel furrowed her own brows and pouted. "Are you really going to use our last minute together not saying what you wanna say?" she said in a teasing-but-still-serious tone.

"I... am a very different person than the one you know," Jerica said carefully, then glanced at Elias. "Both of you... but that doesn't mean that..." She sighed softly. "It all felt very real in the moment, and that's what counts. Even if the moment is over. Right?"

"Right," Mel agreed, also glancing at Elias.

Elias knew he was just listening as an observer, but now he was wondering if they were both withholding information because he was there, or if it was something else. The moment he started to look for opportunities to leave the conversation, Mel continued her goodbye.

"Let's continue this conversation the next time we meet, okay, Jer?" Mel said, her hand carefully patting her shoulder. "'Cause we are going to see each other again someday."

Jerica nodded non-commitally, glancing between them. "You're both going back together?"

Mel smiled sadly, glancing over her shoulder to move on to her next goodbye victim.

"Elias can fill you in. I have to go now. But -- arrghh." Mel swooped in for a forced group hug. Jerica clearly wasn't expecting it and tensed, suddenly turning into all-elbows. But a moment later she hesitantly wrapped her arms around both of them in return, still tense.

"Goodbyes are the worst," Mel mumbled, in the middle of the huddle.

Elias hugged her back, but he couldn't help but feel a little weak. Physically and mentally.

"Bye, Mel," he said again quietly.

At that, Mel pulled away, grumbled some more goodbyes, and went off to the rest of the group, clearly eager to have closure with everyone before the timer ran down.

It seemed that neither Elias nor Jerica held the same eagerness.

"I'm going to Bo's world," Elias said after a stiff silence, figuring he'd answer her earlier question.

"Oh." She hesitated a moment, then nodded. "Well... that should make things easier, then. I know how to get there... probably... maybe."

Elias nodded as well, and another silence fell between them.

He thought about everything that Jerica had said or implied so far. She admitted to being a different person and not recognizing the person she was in the simulation. In the group setting, they had glossed over the fact that she was an assassin. Elias didn't know the nuances of everything involved, but he had a feeling it was all connected.

Because he resonated with her story too.

"You could come too if you wanted," he said quietly.

"My duty lies to Atraya," she answered with a clearly-rehearsed mantra, shaking her head.

"Is that where your heart lies?" he asked.

She stiffened a little. "I've been reliably informed I don't have one."

Elias glanced at the group, noticing that everyone was busy with each other and not really giving them any mind. In a way, he felt like he was on auto-pilot. He always felt like he was on auto-pilot. But it was like he had spent the last hour waking up, especially knowing (and not knowing) what the future held in store for him. It was thrilling, exciting, but also scary. He didn't really know what to do with it, but he was going to spend one day at a time discovering it, and discovering himself.

Without thinking about it, he made a heart shape with his two hands, placed on the left side of his chest, then pretended to snap it in half. He offered his half-heart hand to her.

"You can have mine," he said.

She snorted and rolled her eyes, but her expression softened and she allowed a little smirk, though she didn't move. She took a deep breath, glancing around before her gaze settled back on him. "I've got people counting on me... I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I didn't go back. But... I will try my best to manage a visit."

Elias dropped his hand after another hesitation, and he nodded. "Okay. I understand." Another beat of silence passed, and he glanced back at her. "For what it's worth... I understand your words to Mel. You're not alone in this."

Jerica let out a little sigh and nodded. "...in that case, I hope Bo's Earth will give you a fresh start... you deserve it."

Elias watched the others hug and say their goodbyes, and then his gaze fell on Bo's portal. He wondered what the fresh start would look like.

"I'll miss you," he said softly.

"I'll miss you, too," she said quietly, and he could tell she really meant it. She bit her lip, seeming to consider what else to say. "It's weird, you know. Having all my Earth memories and now all my real memories, too... it almost feels like being bilingual or something... well... I mean I am but that's not -- I just mean..." She huffed, shaking her head. "I don't know what I mean. Other than... well... I think Earth-Jerica would want to say, thanks for always coming in clutch. It was good times."

Elias did his best to smile to convey that he appreciated her words. He knew what she meant. It was a lot to take in.

"Both Eliases would like to say: 'Thanks for being my homie, homie.'" Elias paused to consider the statement. "On second thought, I think only Earth-simulation Elias would say that."

"And what would real-Elias say?" she hummed.

Elias smiled again, and although it was small, this felt real.

"Thanks for being my friend, friend."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:35 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

One by one, everyone began stepping through their portals. There went Daniel and Benji, and Morri after them. Then Mel, with one final grandiose wave goodbye, with kisses blown to everyone. Lordy entered his own down with a flourish, and Elias followed after Bo after taking a deep breath to himself.

That left James and Evaline along with Jerica and Rek lingering outside their doors.

An audible countdown began.

Ten. Nine.

James looked across to Jerica.

"Until we meet again," he said with a soft smile.

Evaline, her hand in his, tugged him gently towards the door.

"Be well," Jerica murmured with an awkward wave. Rek reached over to grasp
Jerica's arm, but didn't try to move her. Yet.

Five. Four. Three.

He turned. He and Evaline stepped through, and he watched as Jerica and Rek did the same. Well. As Rek pushed Jerica through ahead of himself. But they still made it.

The moment they were through the portal, the air felt different. Cooler. Fresher. He looked back the way they came.

Two.

He saw a silhouetted figure in the broad doorway of the room they left behind. For half a second, he thought it was the shape of their captor. But then he realized it was Carter.

One.

The door was gone.
Last edited by soundofmind on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:36 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

Consciousness came with a rush of adrenaline. Eyes shooting open, Carter found himself staring out through a sheet of glass, surrounded by a transparent, viscous liquid. As he reached out to find an escape, the thick goop began to seep out of his cage into holes in the small floor below him. He realized he had been held aloft by the goo, and as it receded, his bare feet finally touched the floor, and when the goo was gone, the cage finally opened.

He took in a sharp breath, letting the cold, open air enter his lungs.

The room was dark. The only light was the dim, cool blue light emanating from the inside of the cage he'd been freed from and a distant, glowing light emitting from somewhere beyond the room, out into a hall.

He could still remember the piercing through his chest. The shock. The feeling of bleeding out, knowing there was life around him to pull on just at his fingertips.

It had been terrifying, and invigorating.

He put a hand over his chest, met with a strange, synthetic material that hugged his skin instead of a gaping wound. His body was intact, and as he felt his face, he found his hair was shorter, as he remembered it, and his mustache longer, like he normally kept it. By now, the fullness of his memories had returned to him, and he knew without a doubt that the reality he'd spend in "college" was no reality at all. Some of the people inside the experience were undoubtedly real, but the whole setup was a sham.

He didn't like feeling toyed with.

He stepped out into the room, quickly walking out into the hall on light feet, eyes darting around in the darkness to assess where he was, and who was responsible.

As he turned down the hall, he saw it opened into a larger room, and he couldn't help but stare as he watched everyone walking through different sets of doors that seemed to open into other places - rooms, forests, deserts - worlds.

They were going home.

His heart stopped as his eyes landed on the world he immediately recognized as Nye, but then his eyes immediately darted over to James.

Walking in last, hand in hand with Evaline, was James. Entering a different world.

For a split second, James glanced back, and they locked eyes.

And for the first time since his childhood, Carter knew his eyes betrayed him. Instead of feeling hatred that he knew was there, what struck him then was fear. Because what struck him through his chest was the realization... that the doors were closing.

Just as the thought crossed his mind, every door went black.

Eyes going wide, Carter felt a surge of panic.

"No. No. No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!"

Running full speed in the dark, Carter flew into the doorway he knew led to Nye, but it was just a hollow, empty door frame. He went in one side and flying out the other, landing hard on the solid ground, still stuck in the dark room that he only then realized was surrounded by windows that stared out into an endless abyss of stars.

He groped in the darkness, finding the doorframe once more.

"N̷̦̥̩̠͇͙͑̓Ò̶̖͚̼̋̾̉̀!̷̪̒̽̚!̸̮̺͖͕̟̮̱̽̓̃̂!̴̡̹̜̠̮͛͗̒̃͝!̷̠͉̀̈̆͑̍͒͘͜"

And that was what he continued to shout, over and over as he violently shook the frame, desperation taking over as he refused to believe this was over. Something was wrong. Someone had to have done something wrong. He was given no explanation as to what was happening. He was given no answers. No lights switched on. No sounds. The room fell eerily silent the moment he stopped shouting. Stopped shaking the frame.

When he collapsed on the floor, all he was left with was himself.

Alone.

And no one came to save him.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:51 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

EPILOGUE: LETTERS TO ANOTHER DIMENSION AND ANOTHER WORLD

Hey Mel,

It's been a while. I hope you're doing well. I don't really know how this works but I'm glad I'm able to reach you. Hey, did you know that Bo's wife is named Mel? That really freaked me out at first. Now it feels like I'm writing a letter to her. That would be even weirder.

I've been doing good. Really good, actually. Turns out I can actually go to nursing school. And I'm pretty good at it. At least, that's what the kids say when I give them fun stickers for their boo-boos. I guess I've never stopped being silly after all.

I'm still living with Bo, but that will change soon since I'll be able to support myself after I graduate. I think he wants me to stay, but it feels kind of awkward sometimes since they have a whole family and it's just, you know, me. But then I eat his fresh baked breads and meals and I realize it would be cool if I could stay here indefinitely.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I reconciled things with Evaline a long time ago. We're still good friends. It's been nice. I'm the best man for her and James's wedding. Yeah, they're still together. I wonder if they'd let me live with them indefinitely?
I met a girl. I think she's the one. It's hard to tell, but it's just a feeling. She gives me the warm and fuzzies. I don't want to jinx it, so I'll have to save it for my next letter. Also apparently I'm running out of room to type more words for

Sincerely,
Elias

Hey Jerica and Rek,

You might not be surprised to get this since you know other worlds/realms exist, but I found a way to send you a letter. I hope you're both doing well! Things have been going well on earth, even though it's a "trash planet," haha. Elias went into nursing, and he's doing a great job. James and Evaline are getting married, if you can believe it! Crazy how that worked out for them, but happy for it. Maybe you and Rek could find a way to come to the wedding with all those portals of yours, if you can use them for such a thing. It'd be great to see you guys again.

My wife Mel and I now have a daughter! She's three, now, and her name is Maya. She's a bundle of energy. Real spirited and real smart. You'd probably like her.

How are things on (and bear with me as I definitely butcher the spelling) Bearania? I'd love to hear how you're doing.

I would love to write more, but sadly there's a word limit. So for now, look at the attatched photo. It should have me, my family, James, Evaline, and Elias all pictured. We all say hello. :)
Sincerely,
Bo

Hi Mel,

I know. I can't believe we're able to do this, either. Somehow Bo figured out a way to communicate through this medium. I'm not sure how it works, exactly - but I trust that when I gave him this letter, it finds its way into your hands.

How are you? How is other-Earth? I want to know everything that happened in your life, no matter how mundane it sounds. Even though I've made a new home here, I do miss living in your Earth. It will always be home to me.

I've been doing very well. James and I own a bookstore. It's quiet, peaceful, and perfect. We read a few books a week and talk about it to each other. I sell art on the side. It's nothing fancy, so we also sell for other local artists. When we're not reading or working, we garden or spend a weekend in the woods. We're trying to move closer to the countryside since James is wanting a horse.

And now for the biggest news of all: I'm getting married. I was nervous at first, but the more I think about it, the more it feels right. All of this feels right. I wish there was a way for you to visit. I think you'd have made a really great maid-of-honor.
I wish I could write more, but we only have 270 words per letter, so for now, I eagerly await your response.

Sincerely,
Evaline

Dear Jerica,

I know many things were left unresolved on the day that we parted, but I do still consider you a friend and I remember and think of you fondly. I hope you are doing well on your home world and that what happened in the simulation has no affected you too harshly. I know for me it has greatly altered the course of my life and provided me a fresh start. Things have been going well for us here. Bo has told me he has caught you up to speed on much of what's happened with us, but I would like to personally let you know that Evaline and I are getting married. I know you two never saw quite eye to eye, but I wanted to extend the invitation - if it is by any way possible and feasible - for you and Rek to come to the wedding. We would love to have you as guests.

The following is invitation information should you choose and be able to come:
The Palace Gardens
341 103rd Street
Los Angeles, California

Festivities begin at 4pm.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
James Hawke

Daniel and Benji,

I hope you're doing well. I know you had hopes and means to try to visit our world here on planet Earth - or rather, this version of it. I do hope you are able to visit soon. Things have been going well here on earth. I don't know how much time has passed for you, but at the time you are receiving this: Bo and his wife have had a daughter, Maya. She is a delight.

Elias has pursued nursing and is excelling. He's adjusting very well to life here and has even met a girl. Things seem to be going well.

Evaline and I are getting married soon. I wish there were a way to send a formal invitation, but consider this as much an invitation as any. If our calendars align, do come on the third of May. I do not know how you intended to find us in the first place, but hopefully you can make it to the venue. It begins at 4pm at the Palace Gardens on 103rd Street, Los Angeles, California. I hope to see you there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards and best wishes,
James Hawke

Hi James,

Bo and his wife have a daughter? Better yet, Bo has a wife? And I can’t believe you’re already getting married to Evaline—we just left the simulation last week. I guess time runs differently here than it does on Bo’s Earth.

Benji and I have spent the past week showing Morri the ropes around our house and part of New York. We’ve also been trying to find a way to you. We’ve actually just figured it out, so we’ll absolutely be there for your wedding. Congratulations, by the way! We’ll make sure Morri comes along with us when we pop over for the wedding.

I’m also glad to hear that Elias is adjusting well to being on Earth. He already seemed at home in the simulation, so I’m not surprised!

Maybe when we meet up we can try finding a more convenient way to stay in contact? I actually have my phone now and you probably have one, too. I’m sure I could come up with some kind of interdimensional messaging system.

That’s all for now, but I’ll definitely send you another letter soon!

See you at your wedding. :)
Daniel

P.S. Do you think anyone that went to your Earth would be interested in joining Benji and me on some cryptid hunting sometime? I swear it’s more fun than it sounds.

Heya Lordy!

Apparently we can send letters now? C'mon, teach, why didn't you tell us this? Hah, just kidding. I know you're busy being the King of Wonderwall, or whatever you said the role was. My brain's a little rusty on that day we all saw each other wearing those ugly space suits. For a little while there, I was convinced that everything was a dream. I only knew it was real because Evaline and Elias had disappeared in my world. So if you were thinking the same thing, figuring what happened was all a dream...

HAH! It wasn't. Now you have a letter to prove it ~

I don't know if anyone still keeps in touch with you, so I figured I'd send you this letter. I kinda miss your chaos, Lordy! Everyone else said you traumatized them in some way, but I don't buy it. How can anyone be traumatized by your wholesome chaos?

Are there portals in Wonderwall? Jerica and Rek have portals, and they may even come visit for Evaline and James's wedding! Yeah, they're getting married, can you believe that? Hey, maybe you could come too. I'll attach a copy of my wedding invitation just in case. But if you can somehow make it, let me know. I should probably tell James or Evaline...

I hope to hear from you soon! Let me know what life's like over there.

Sincerely,
Mel

Hiya Momo!

I've missed you sooo much! How are you doing?! Do you have a body now? Can you even write back...? Well, if you're not able to write back, that's okay. You've always been a good listener so you can be a good reader as well.

Life for me has been pretty good! I got to reconnect with my biological family and move all over the world. It's honestly been one big adventure. I haven't been out by the sea like you have, though. Maybe someday I'll adventure out by boat and see what islands await, but for now, I'm happy living in my little cottage, seeing friends on the daily, and baking new bread.

Have you heard from Daniel and Benji that James and Evaline are getting married? I'm sure they could find a way to come through. It would be so great if we could see you again! Lordy even said he may go. Now you have to come, right?

I hope life has been a little more poetic and a little less ghostly for you. If you do somehow manage to find a way to visit, let me know and I can pencil you in for a haircut. :)

Sincerely,
Mel

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:52 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

THE END

Our Featured Cast

Jerica and Rek Ainsley written by @ShadowVyper
Benji and Daniel written by @Mageheart
Lordy/Professor Lordshire and Morri/Professor Morri written by @veeren
Evaline, Elias, and Mel written by @Carina
Bo/Andrei Petrov, Carter Haddon, and James Hawke written by @soundofmind

A Special Thanks To:

All my wonderful roleplaying friends who made this goofy roleplay possible. Thanks for hanging in there and seeing it to the end. It's been such a joy to write with you. Love ya'll :^) <3

"The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein