Young Writers Society

The Fateful Heart 2

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:48 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline was sure of it now: she really didn't like James feeling sorry, especially over things beyond his control or things that ultimately didn't matter. It made her feel guilty herself, and plus, it wasn't a good look on him. She'd rather see him be spirited, like he was in the tub... before he accidentally shared the memory, anyways.

That was one topic she wasn't sure will ever come up. In fact, there were a lot of topics that didn't come up. She wondered who's fault it really was; was he purposefully avoiding to talk about it and pretended it didn't happen, just like her? There were some things they should talk about more so than others, but she didn't know if her priority list was the same as James's. She wasn't sure she wanted to know, either.

They really were awful at communication, but she shared the blame. And she wanted to try, now. Try to be better.

"There's nothing to forgive," she said, finally looking up and trying to meet his eyes whenever he was ready. She'd have to push aside any personal feelings and try to make him feel better, especially since it sounded like he was going through some internal identity crisis right now.

"It wasn't on purpose, and you didn't seem to realize it. I'm just... pointing it out. I should have pointed it out earlier, but I didn't want..."

She sighed, reframing her thought. "But... if it makes you feel better, of course I forgive you."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:57 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

There's nothing to forgive, she said, but there was wasn't there? James sighed and looked at the few clothes he still had to wash, and then looked over to Evaline with a hint of a grateful, but timid smile.

"Thank you," he said, relieved that she'd said she forgiven him out loud.

He got up and went back to the clothesline, hanging his pants, and then hurried back to the bucket, grabbing his next shirt.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:09 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline watched James get up to hang his pants, and she quickly finished up her own shirt so she could catch up. It didn't take as long as the other shirt since she didn't wear it often. When he returned, she got up to hang the shirt. The long silence and distance between them seemed to get louder and longer.

She wondered if maybe she shouldn't have brought any of this up.

But, it happened. There was no use in dwelling on it now.

When she returned, she grabbed her skirt and sat back in front of he bucket.

"Okay, so our fake backstory," she began, deciding to break the silence. "How did you meet me?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:18 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James felt everything within him hesitate to enter into their fake-backstory-building after how it'd gone moments ago, but in an effort to keep things from being awkward again, he responded.

"Well," he said, this far less confident than before. "I was thinking it could be something simple, like we both were working for the same employer. Maybe some store opening up, and I was helping with construction, and you with design... or something."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 am
View Likes
Carina says...

"That works," Evaline said without much hesitation. She'd rather get this subject over with and move on to other possible scenarios to get their story straight. "Let's say it was... a store for gardening and farming needs. It wasn't that big of a store, so we crossed paths a few times."

She moved on before he could fully agree, though.

"When did we meet?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:38 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James looked up to the sky in thought, taking notes. They met in Lettera working for a common employer building a store for gardening and farming needs. Okay.

"Three years ago, maybe?" he suggested.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:49 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline nodded, watching the water wash soak up the skirt. She only wore it to sleep nowadays, so this wouldn't take too long to wash.

Thee years ago made sense. They'd be around eighteen, then marry two years later.

It was hard to have that train of thought without looking back and wondering how on earth she had landed in this situation, but she bit it down.

"That sounds good," she said. "So to recap, I left my hometown in Ruddlan to escape the fishery business, and ended up in Lettera. I needed money, and I took on a job to be the artist for a small store selling gardening and farming needs. That's how I met you, and we married two years later."

She took a deep breath. "Did I miss anything? How would you say your version?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:53 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"That sounds right," he said. He started scrubbing his shirt hard. This one was the one he's tied around Elliot's face, and it'd gotten all sandy.

"My version would probably just be that I grew up in a small town in Lettera and followed in my father's trade, working in construction. Then I met you while working a job at the gardening store, and two years later we got married."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:58 am
View Likes
Carina says...

The details didn't matter that much. No one was ever going to press for details, so a summarized story was good enough.

"Okay," she said, turning the skirt around and scrubbing the other side. "What else should we consider?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:16 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James sighed, watching granules of sand filter down to the bottom of the barrel.

"I think we got the most important things out of the way. Where we're from, how we got to know each other, and how we got to where we are today. Anything else they might ask about... I don't know, with people like Kurt, it could be anything."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline was beginning to pick up on James's less detailed answers. He had answered them almost callously, sure, but they were thoughtful responses. It wasn't that he wasn't thoughtful now, though. She just wondered if this was another one of those topics where he let his mind wander as he took the things she said too personally.

"I'm sure Kurt would ask something when we're both there, and we can take turns making something up," she said, feeling more confident that she could make something up now that they agreed on a background.

She paused for some moments then glanced up at him. "Are you still thinking about what I said?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James had to scrub this shirt vigorously to get the stains out, but he slowed as he glanced up at Evaline, with his brows pinched slightly upward.

“...A little,” he admitted, then looked back down, scrubbing hard again. “I’m just trying not to make the same mistake again - being careless with my words.”

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:37 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline stared into the water, trying to understand. "Is it something you have to actively suppress?" she asked.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:46 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James wished he didn’t feel so clueless at the moment.

“I think so?” he said with brows furrowing together tighter. “I’m... I don’t know, I guess I’m just used to just... stepping into a certain role, when I come up with a cover. However hastily put together it is or not. And I guess... maybe I just stop acting like myself, and I act like whatever I think will be best recieved by whoever I’m — It’s different. I’ve - I don’t know I’ve never been in this kind of situation before. With someone who knows - you know. I don’t have to lie to you, but I’m still around all these—“

He took in a deep breath and sighed. He was used to flying solo.

“It’s not like I’ve spent extended amounts of time with people, but... apart from you I’ve always had to come up with some kind of story. Something believable to explain whatever situation I find myself in.”

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:14 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline listened to James and compared his words with the story she already knew. If it wasn't for last night, she would have assumed that he was only referencing his time as a wanted man. But she knew that it ran deeper than that; he had to pretend to stop being James since he was eleven. That couldn't have been easy to undo.

"I understand," she said, trying to not be careless with her own words as well. "And I'm not expecting immediate change to happen, either. It can't be easy to suddenly change how you think, especially for one person."

She sighed. "I don't know. I guess, for now... it's good enough that you're aware of it."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality