and into fate's hand dealt, must play
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:11 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline looked over at James, pausing for far too long, trying to figure out how to respond to that.

And then she solemnly looked back out in front of her, seeing the land and river ahead of them stretch for miles, and feeling her anxiety fade away, just a little.

"Me too," she said back, quietly.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James sighed, and he rolled back through his head to recall the scattered list of things he'd thought to mention. It took him a moment to sort through it again.

"You also mentioned that since you've been here, you've had some time to heal," he said slowly. "But that you know it will take longer, and you hope that I can wait that long."

He paused, taking a deep breath.

"And then you... quoted my own poem back at me," he said with a little laugh. "At the time when I wrote that, maybe I was being a little hyperbolic, but the sentiment is real. I don't mind waiting for however long it takes you to heal, especially when I'd hope you'd do the same for me. I think that's what friends are for, really. They take you as you are, for where you're at today, and they cheer you on to a better tomorrow without rushing the process."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:29 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Honestly, Evaline wanted to slink back and melt away when James was explicitly referencing his poem and her entry. She usually didn't mind addressing pressing issues head-on, but this made her feel so weak. It made her question why she chose to go down the path when what they had was so comfortable before.

She bit her lip and squinted ahead, trying her best to swallow the embarrassment and shame.

"I don't mind waiting for however long it takes you to heal, especially when I'd hope you'd do the same for me," he said. For someone who didn't have thick skin, James sure seemed nonchalant about bringing this vulnerable topic up.

But he'd said something like this once before:

"If it comes to it, I would gladly let you travel with me if you wanted, for however long you need," he told her the first week they met, right before they met Butch. "Even if that means forever."

She had always wondered if he meant that, but she wasn't sure if he remembered it. He wasn't supposed to, of course, but she didn't know the extent of the dreams that he had.

Evaline felt like she should have said something. Agreement, maybe. Or maybe asked if he truly meant that... if he actually wanted her around long-term, or if these were sweet words of comfort just to help her feel better.

But she stayed quiet, deciding to just listen.

Instead she ignored the thoughts and shoved them away, focusing on his last sentence instead. Did the past of a person really not matter for him? But what if the past dictated their present? What then?
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:54 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James wasn't surprised when Evaline didn't reply - because she did say he would listen, but still, he let a small bout of silence pass before speaking again.

"I'm sorry if that was too forward," he said. He looked at her with a small smile, as if to say he was already trying to put to practice what he said he would.

"I just want you to know... well, I like having you around."

He stopped himself there, finding himself afraid to ask the question weighing on his mind. Did she want to stay? From what he read, it didn't sound like even she knew that answer, so he didn't know if it would be helpful to ask.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:11 am
View Likes
Carina says...

He liked having her around...

A knot formed in Evaline's stomach. She felt like she could insinuate what he was saying, but she was too afraid to plainly ask and verify: do you want me around forever, or were you just saying that?

A part of her wasn't keen on finding out, either. Because... if he told her that she should forget the note and consider staying in Nye to heal and continue their days together... well...

She would.

And that terrified her.

Evaline took a silent deep breath, deciding now was the time to say something.

"You apologized again," she said quietly. "But you didn't need to... because..."

She suddenly lost the courage to finish her sentence and decided to change course mid-thought.

"It's natural to want company," she said after trailing off. "Especially since it's rare for someone with your circumstances."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James hummed, glancing back at Elliot.

Technically, he always had company, but it was different when you had someone around who you could have a conversation with.

“I suppose you’re right,” he said softly. And he decided to leave it at that.

He couldn’t think of anything else to say that was pressing, and it seemed like Evaline was still processing things too. He was sure they’d have more than enough chances to bring it up again as long as they spent their days together.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:30 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Although Evaline would fiercely protect the thoughts that constantly swirled her mind, she couldn't help but wish that James had mind reading magic right now. If he had that, she wouldn't have to say these scary thoughts out loud.

But instead she swallowed the fear and decided to open up, just a little, hoping it would be enough for James to connect the dots as much as she did.

"But if it's any consolation..." she said softly after a brief moment of silence. She glanced at him, but turned before he could meet her eyes.

"I like having you around, too."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:41 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James glanced over at her, catching her just as she looked away.

It wasn’t quite an answer to his unspoken question, but it was something. At the very least, he knew that she wanted to be with him. It didn’t mean she wanted to stay, but it meant she might want to.

If James was being honest with himself, the main reason he wanted to know was so he could prepare himself to say goodbye or not. So he could make sure he didn’t do anything he might regret.

“I’m glad,” he said quietly, and he left it at that.

And thus, silence filled the space between them for the rest of the morning.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:59 am
View Likes
Carina says...

James didn't mention the journal again for the rest of the week, and slowly, the both of them returned back to their familiar level of comfort.

Evaline wasn't sure if she did or didn't regret writing the notes in her journal for him to see. She wished she didn't accidentally pull out his journal so that all of this could have been avoided, but at the same time, a small part of her was glad to have read and understood his inner thoughts as it helped deepen her understanding of him. Perhaps her entries did the same to him.

She was glad they didn't talk about it, but she did wonder if James was waiting for her to initiate the conversation instead. And then she wondered if she ever will. These thoughts did swirl her mind from time-to-time, although she didn't let it show. Thankfully, it didn't eat at her too much, nor was it hard to repress.

Especially when the Outlands was full of dangers compared to the forest.

One morning, Evaline was attempting to read through A Record of Wrongs, and then she saw James stir out of the corner of her eye. She glanced up at him, but then did a double-take as she whipped her head back up. It wasn't James who stirred.

It was the biggest tarantula she had ever seen.

For a second, she stared at it wide-eyed as it crawled along his back. She wasn't able to see his face since he was facing away from her, but he had to have felt the giant legs crawling on him. Just seeing it made her own skin crawl.

Realizing that this spider was likely venomous, she quickly cleared her throat and set the book down. "I'm no expert," she began in a steady voice, not sure if this creature was sensitive to sound, "but I am pretty sure that's a tarantula crawling on you."

As suspected, James was awake.

"Good to know," he said in an equally calm voice, but she was willing to bet that he was panicking in the inside.

He stayed still for too many long seconds as the tarantula lazily crawled over his shoulder, and then he quickly swiped it off and got up on his feet. The tarantula suddenly turned aggressive, but James was quicker and more aggressive because he immediately smashed it with a rock. He stood there and nervously laughed as the legs twitched under the rock, and green goop splayed around it.

Evaline avoided killing animals and insects at all costs, but this she could understand—especially when James explained that their venom from one bite would be enough to kill someone.

It definitely made her more weary of their surroundings. And also, more inspired to get better at riding Elliot.

Evaline remembered the day that she was thrilled to have passed his horse riding lesson enough so that she could do to Woodhearst by herself, but in comparison, those were beginner moves. Of course, before that, James seemed proud of her for practicing getting up on the saddle by herself, and before that, she was practicing talking to Elliot and got spooked when petting him. And of course, before that, she doubted if Elliot was even a real animal.

But now? She was able to ride Elliot all by herself without James leading her. Trotting with Elliot was no problem, and she moved on to slow-to-medium canter speeds, which were a little faster, but not as fast as the racing gallop. She wondered how long it would take for her to reach that level. Probably a long time, but they had plenty of time.

Years and years, he wrote. But as he said, that was a hyperbole.

Still, Evaline was beaming at the end of every horse riding session, and James seemed to mimic her pride, showering her with statements like, "You have improved so much," or, "You are doing so well."

His words of affirmation did help her confidence, and it did sometimes swirl her head. She wanted to get better at complimenting him, but she was having a hard time figuring out what to say and how to bring it up naturally. It wasn't like she could say "you too" when he told her she was improving her riding abilities. This took up space in her mind for quite some time.

But not when there was an especially hot day. A heat wave, James explained.

Despite hiking along the river and the shadows of any trees or rock formations that appeared, it was still sweltering hot. Evaline had put away her jacket and rolled up her sleeves up to her shoulders. She even undid her braid—which was not an easy decision—to put it up into a high bun so the nape of her neck had room to breathe. Despite all of this, it wasn't enough. She found herself still squinting and sweating under the desert sun, her face already flushing from the heat.

Every hour, it seemed that they needed to refill water at the river to keep themselves hydrated. After doing this until high noon when the heat was getting to be unbearable, James suggested that they spend a few hours cooling down by the river until the heat wave dissipates. Evaline agreed too quickly.

They didn't part ways for privacy due to safety concerns, so instead they turned their backs to one another. Evaline didn't mind of course, but James seemed to almost rush into undressing, which Evaline could understand since his shirt was drenched with sweat. She couldn't help but linger her gaze as he began to unwrap his bandages right in front of her. Either he was getting comfortable with her, or the sweat was getting too uncomfortable under the bandages. She'd like to think it was a mixture of both.

She turned away and quickly peeled out of her own clothes, not giving another moment's hesitation before she jumped into the river, letting the water wash away the heat her skin had absorbed. It wasn't as frigid cold as the forest water, but it was cold enough.

She stayed there for a while, letting the water flow through her body and also her hair as she dipped under a few times. A sigh of relief escaped her lips, and then she instinctively thought about washing the grime off her hair with the soap.

... Which she forgot to grab. And also, a blanket so that she had somewhere to dry off without getting sand all over her body.

She grimaced, eyes staring at one end of the river, away from James, and only her head out of the water. She hadn't heard him jump in yet.

"Are you in the water yet?" she asked anyways, just in case.

"No," James said.

She paused, wondering if his discomfort would be worth the things she wanted. He likely had unwrapped many of his injuries already. But it didn't hurt to ask.

"I left my soap in the saddlebag. If you're comfortable with it, could you set it down next to me, along with a blanket?" she asked, sinking a little deeper into the water. She felt like a child for wanting these two small things when he had his torture wounds exposed.

She heard him hesitate for a long time, but finally she heard a muffled, "Sure, okay," as he started to move around. She wasn't sure if he put on more clothes, or rebandaged anything, or took his time to get the times, or what, but she did hear him plop the items down not too far from her.

"I've set it down a few feet away from you," he said as it sounded like he turned to leave.

"Thanks," she said quietly, inching backwards and reaching for the soap.

She scrubbed her hair and body with soap slowly, trying to draw out her time in the water. She eventually heard James jump in too and wondered if this was just as big of a relief as it was for her.

Evaline ended up finishing first, and she set the bar of soap down on its cloth bag and then crawled on the blanket, waiting to dry. It didn't take long with the heat of the sun shining down on her body, and she eventually changed back into her clothes, although she opted for her original looser pants so that her skin could breathe.

The both of them drew out the afternoon as the heat wave slowly started to die down. Maybe another hour or two, James said. They both took advantage of this and washed their clothes, setting it up to dry along the rope between two rock formations.

They both had their feet in the water, but seemed too tired to really talk since the heat still weighed on them. A desert tortoise crawled along the bank of the river on the other side, and the two of them slowly watched it crawl away in silence.

"Maybe we should eat it," James said with a monotone voice and a blank face.

"No," she said back, equally monotone and blank.

And then they watched it crawl away out of view.

James later announced that he was going to take a quick nap and that she should keep lookout. Which she did, of course, but was quickly finding herself to be bored staring at the river. She put all the dried clothes away and even washed the cooking supplies and canteen, but before putting the bowl away, she had a random idea.

She took the bowl and started to pile sand on his feet, careful but quick to not wake him. Unfortunately, she underestimated James's trait as a light sleeper.

He faded to wakefulness and lifted his head up at her. "Having fun?" he asked plainly.

At this point, the pile of sand on his feet was pretty big, and she even dug a little hole around his feet so that he sunk a little deeper.

"It's always a fun time trapping my partner's feet," she said with a smirk, but it was hard to put any kind of expression into her words. Luckily the same effect was happening to James. Maybe it was the heat.

She eventually cleaned the bowl and put it away, watching as James struggled to get up in a casual manner, trying to make it look easy, but failing.

The afternoon started to fade, and with that, they gathered their things and continued to hike, feeling more refreshed.

But of course, the Outlands continued to surprise them with dangers. Two days after that, the wind started to pick up, and sand kept getting in their eyes. It was subtle, at first. It was hard to talk without getting sand in their mouth, and they had to squint and blink a lot. Then it started to pick up, and talking became nearly impossible, and they were staring ahead with darkened squinted eyes.

They hiked in these conditions for a hours or two, and although it was uncomfortable, but Evaline didn't exactly know communicate that to him, especially since it was unlikely he would hear her very well with the gusts of wind around them. It was interesting, really, how they had to communicate with their body instead of words. Every once in a while, James would look at her and give her a thumbs up or down, and she didn't want to slow them down, so she'd give him a thumbs up. She wondered if he was also a thumbs up, or if he was only a thumbs up because she said so. A few times, Evaline had to point ahead of them or pat his back and gesture ahead of them whenever she noticed that they were going off-trail. Visibility was not the greatest, but it did make her wonder if James didn't have the best eyesight to begin with.

The wind started to pick up immensely, and things started to get unbearable—and also, dangerous. Not only was it hard to see in front of them, but the sand pricked her skin like little daggers, and she was positive she was inhaling half air, half sand.

James quickly started to herd her and Elliot over to a nearby shelter: an enclosed canyon. They hurried over there until the two walls of the canyon filtered out the sand from the storm. It still came up from the top, but it wasn't much, and it was bearable.

The storm wasn't likely to go away any time soon, and it was evening anyways, so they stopped there for the night, finding a recess deeper in the canyon away from the path. They both foraged for burnable items, and luckily, had just enough to form a fire, so they ate dinner while the sun started to set. James didn't tell her that they were stretching out their food, but Evaline picked it up anyways since their meals were getting smaller and smaller. As long as they didn't go that hungry, she didn't mind rationing.

James put everything away as dusk fell, and Evaline leaned up against the canyon wall, barely feeling the fire's heat on her skin. She had her jacket on her, so she wasn't cold yet.

"The Outlands is so much more dangerous that the forest is, isn't it?" she mused out loud.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:21 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James took out Elliot's brush and started to comb through Elliot's mane, slowly working out all of the sand and the knots. The firelight flicked off of the canyon walls and the sound of the sandstorm just beyond them created a hazy white noise, buzzing in the background.

He glanced over at Evaline, still brushing.

"The desert is a dangerous place," he answered plainly.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:44 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline crossed her legs and stared into the fire, thinking about James's words. Of course she figured that the desert was a dangerous place. It seemed that the entire week they had been here, more things tried to hurt them compared to the two months prior.

Thing is, were they even prepared for such dangers? It would likely take months to reach Lettera, and that assumed they didn't run into any problems. And Evaline had a feeling that, in the desert, they would run into problems.

"Do you think we'll eventually come across anyone aggressive?" she asked.

They had only encountered nature's dangers, but if the Outlands were full of chaos and criminals, surely they'd run into people eventually... especially if they kept following a river. Surely other people were following the same route, right? They couldn't exactly hide and weave through the trees, either.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:37 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James was quiet for a moment and kept his eyes on Elliot's mane.

He didn't think it. He knew. It was just a matter of time.

And he didn't feel like explaining the sheer amount of luck they'd had to so far in the forest. Yes, the desert was arguably more dangerous because it was overrun by criminals and was a land of no laws, but the forest was just as full of dangerous creatures.

He was just more familiar with them and how to avoid them. The desert wasn't a place he'd been as often, and though Evaline might've assumed it, he didn't know everything. He just knew he had to keep going. It was that, or run in circles in the forest until he got caught. His best luck was getting as far away as possible.

"Yes," he finally said solemnly.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:45 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline let his one-word answer sink in. Not only would they have to worry about Butch or other potential bounty hunters, but they'd have to worry about potential aggressive criminals.

"Are we even prepared for that?" she asked bluntly, fully expecting him to say no while they wallow with that depressing thought.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—InuYosha

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:50 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James took in a deep breath.

He had thought he was prepared - at least before Evaline came around. But that was because he was far more willing to take dangerous risks and gambles when it came to himself. But with someone else to look out for, he couldn't afford to treat situations the same way.

He knew he could handle himself if needed, but there was always the lingering worry in the back of his mind that if something were to happen to him, that Evaline wouldn't be able to defend herself. Not if she was overpowered, or outnumbered.

He looked back at Evaline.

"No," he answered. "But we should start discussing plans. What to do if and when situations arise. So that we have something to fall back on."

A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.
— Mark Twain