The Bunny and The Hawk

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Spoiler! :
SOUnd, James is just so angsty, and it hurts my heart : {{

Adina jumped slightly at the loud noise from outside, but then she smiled at James' response.

"I'm more than glad that you're here now."

Even with three years of distance from her adventures with the group, she had thought of them quite a lot, and would gladly describe some of their stories with Guild members. Nothing came close to having someone be near her in person though, not like this.

"Do you, er, know where you're gonna go," she waved her hands, "after all this?"
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:42 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James felt like he'd answered that already, but he wasn't sure if Adina was trying to get at something else. Did after all this mean after the storm, or after - he didn't know - he stopped running? He stopped being wanted?

"I'll figure it out," he said with a small shrug. "Like I always do."

Spoiler! :
I feel like... this is where James is at his limit as far as carrying on a conversation goes, so there can be a bit of a pause before adina speaks up if you want, lol
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

415 Reviews

Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina nodded, noting that James really didn't seem to have a plan for the future. But that was who he was -- always moving, always doing something in the background or foreground.

She smiled, a bit more saddened than she first meant, mostly because even she at her most positive settings could see the ending of this meeting between them. But, she will forever be glad about seeing James at least once more.

Spoiler! :
ahh that works!

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:13 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James leaned his head back against the wood, staring at the door with eyes half open. The storm raged on with whistling winds and roars of thunder. Flashes of lightning poked through the cracks in the walls, and occasional mists of rain-shower would find their way in with the wind.

The light in their shelter was dim, and the sky only darkened as the storm went on into nightfall. Silence remained between Adina and James for some time. James wasn't sure if Adina felt any pressure to make this chance meeting meaningful by saying anything profound, but he hoped she knew that he thought it was profound enough that he found her again.

She always kind of reminded him of his little sister, or at least, what he imagined his sister might've grown up to be like. He'd left before he got to witness Larrel in her teens, growing up into her own person - though she always was her own, even from the start.

James took the opportunity to get up and check on Elliot when the rain died down a little. He didn't think it would be a big window, so he took it, bowing out with a small wave.

"Just checking on Elliot," was his brief explanation before he closed the "door" behind him.

Elliot was fine, but a little damp. James kissed the horse on the head and pet his mane, holding him close for a moment.

"The storm will be over soon," he whispered into Elliot's ear. He didn't know what the weather had planned, but it felt comforting to say so, and it wasn't as if Elliot would correct him.

He felt a strong gust of wind hit his back, splattering the rain on the shelter's wall. He should get back inside.

"I'll be back later," he muttered to Elliot, before slipping out of Elliot's shelter and into his own. Adina was still there, of course. Sitting in the dark, knees to her chest. Alone.

He sat down beside her, picking up his hat off the dirt floor and brushing it off.

415 Reviews

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:02 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina sighed, drawing in deep breaths of air.

She never really meditated much, even at the Guild, but some of the advisors had recommended a few exercises to try in some fashion. Chelim, of all people, was great at calming down then running straight back to the hills, but for her, it wasn't easy.

She didn't know if it was because she was used to be quiet, used to trying her best to go unnoticed, to hiding away from anyone else, or it was simply because she couldn't make her mind sit still for very long at a single time.

Adina had always prided herself on being light-hearted but also keen on her surroundings, but sometimes, another emotion took over.

Being afraid of what could be outside wasn't a switch she could turn off easily, even with knowing that James, still a part of her family even three years later, was with her and by her side.

Her eyes slid shut, just for a second, and her knees shifted closer to her, as if on instinct.

However, Adina reminded herself, she wasn't alone. Not with James here. And, hopefully, he would remain with her at least until she found Chelim.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James held his hat in his lap, sighing as he leaned back against the wall.

"You alright?" he asked softly.

415 Reviews

Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:22 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina tilted her head in answer to his question.

"Mm, yes." She said, just as quiet. "Just thinking."

"Is Elliot doing okay? I missed him."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:01 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James smiled a little at that. He was glad Adina hadn't lost her fondness for animals.

"He's doing well," he assured her. "I do my best to take good care of him."

A pause.

"Do you... still have Posey? Or was it Rosey?"

415 Reviews

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:49 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

She was glad to hear that. Meeting Elliot for the first time had turned into one of her fondest memories of that adventure.

"Ah, yes, Posey. I still have her," Adina almost laughed. "I don't know if she's forgiven me for not taking her on crazy adventures like before."

Spoiler! :
@soundofmind is James' hat like still a cowboy hat ? I'm guessing it's not the one that Adina gave him cause it was like three years ago, lol, but oooh I'm curious ??? XD

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Spoiler! :
it’s a different har lol!!

James grinned. “You think Posey misses being in dangerous situations?”

415 Reviews

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:49 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Spoiler! :
hahaha ok good thank XD i just thought it was funny

"Okay, okay, maybe not quite that far," Adina admitted, rolling her eyes, "but, I would bet a sticker bar or two that she misses of all you, too."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:16 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Spoiler! :
OKAY SO I HAVE A PROPOSITION - what if chelim found their little hideout soon and it can be as the storm lets up a bit????

"I don't know if she'd remember me that well, but I'm sure a reunion would be very sweet," James said. "A stickers bar though - that's a lot to bet on. I haven't had one of those in a good while."

415 Reviews

Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:46 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Spoiler! :
ooooh I think that's a very good idea.

"I've tried remaking them, with what I remember, but they never end up quite the same way."

Adina smiled. "You know, once we find Chelim, you could visit with us. The Guild accepts anyone who is a friend of a member."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:12 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James stiffened. His thoughts started to feel muddy, and clouded. Joining a guild, even one with Adina in it, wasn't really in the cards for him.

"I... I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to stay," he said. He flashed a little smile. "But I appreciate the offer. Really."

415 Reviews

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:34 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina sighed, a little under her breath. She should have expected that kind of answer from him.

“Mm, I understand. I hope we’ll see each other again though, and not because you saved me from a bear —“ her voice cut off as a large thus shattered the quiet around them.

“What was that?” She turned to James, already getting up to check outside.

The secret of being tiresome is to tell everything.
— Voltaire