z

Young Writers Society

The Bunny and The Hawk

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:53 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina hummed, figuring it was fair to leave her questioning at that. She really had been curious, but she didn't want to make him too uncomfortable.

"Only if they're trying to rescue you, huh?" Adina laughed.

Both the good and the bad times being in their group stuck with her - between sticker bars and poisonings. She was a different person from then, older, more experienced, and better at dealing with grumpy cowboys or rather devious purple-haired women.

"I hope things have gone well for you, James. And for everyone, too."
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:42 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James's gaze flickered to the ground, not that she could see it.

"I think the others are doing alright," he said. He couldn't speak for Rose. He didn't know what she had gotten into, but he knew she had a hunger for vengeance that didn't stop at thinking about it. The last he'd saw her, she was walking back into the town that falsely accused her of murder.

He wanted to be optimistic for Adina's sake, but he couldn't imagine that things went well after that.

"And me, well. I'm still alive and kicking," he said, glancing back at Adina. He gave her a small grin. "And I'm glad you are too."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

415 Reviews

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:55 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina couldn't help but grin back. Certainly some of the others might get in trouble, but maybe they all had good enough skills to get themselves out.

"That's all I can ask for." She glanced down at Elliot, missing the other animals she had called friends. "Not to mention, I had to see this handsome fella again."

"Do you think the shelter's close?" Adina carried her voice a little stronger, feeling a raindrop on her cheek.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:31 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James felt a small tap on his hat and looked up. It was starting to sprinkle. He picked up the pace, Elliot surging forward into a canter.

"Close, but it's better to not get rained on," he said. "And I'm also trying to steer clear of where the bear was."

415 Reviews

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:52 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

"Ah, fair."

Adina supposed she should be glad for the trade-off from a bear and James, but she will feel better once she wasn't worried about drowning in a heavy storm.

She grew quiet for a few minutes, somewhat still looking for Chelim's flower or any sign of plants that she recognized.

"Ha," Adina shook her head at a sudden thought. "You'd be surprised to know that I haven't adopted a whole town's worth of animals since we separated."

Although there have been a few stray, curious creatures that followed her around the Guild.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Oh?" James smirked, glancing back at her. "No more stray cats, or furry woodland creatures? Seems you've really changed."

415 Reviews

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:38 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina gigged. "Unfortunately, I haven't had the time."

She patted Elliot's side.

"I do have lots of experience pet-sitting though."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:17 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James hummed, letting their conversation die down into silence as the skies let out another roll of thunder. They were close, but the light tiny droplets were slowly starting to come down faster and faster. James knew they probably only had a minute or two until the sprinkle turned into a downpour.

Giving Elliot a little more encouragement, they ran off through the trees in a burst of speed before slowing down gradually, riding up to what looked like a fort built under the shelter of a large willow tree. Mud and stones formed the base, and large branches and chopped trees were weaved and towered together to make walls and a roof. Plant brush and cemented mud filled the cracks. The tree itself provided ample shelter from the rain, but an intense windy storm would prove to be more than a tree's shelter could handle. James had built a makeshift wall and roof sticking off the side that was clearly - by height alone - meant for Elliot.

James hopped off of Elliot and helped Adina down again. Once Adina was on her feet he turned away and led Elliot into his shelter, tying him to the nearby tree so he couldn't run too far if he got spooked (not that Elliot was easily spooked, but just in case, of course).

415 Reviews

Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:41 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Even with the slowly increasing rain, Adina signed with relief at the sight of the shelter. This would hopefully last fine through the storm.

She grinned a title at the structure meant for Elliot. James was the best at treating someone nicely without so much as a word or gesture.

“Well, I’m sure glad you found this place! Can I help with anything inside?”

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:26 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James pulled tight on the knot securing Elliot and backed away. A strong gust of wind blew through the tree, catching on the hanging branches of the willow and causing them to sway to the side.

"You can grab the blanket off the saddle. It might get cold," he said.

415 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:48 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

"Oh, good idea!" Adina grabbed at the blanket, letting just a bit of the corner fall onto her shoulders. It was warm. She liked warm things.

Adina took a moment to remember that headed into the shelter would be far better than staying out here in the storm.

"I've got it," she hummed, half tempted to toss it over James, as he deserved to feel warm too. Not to mention they were still outside.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James looked over at Adina and nodded, gesturing for her to head inside first.

Spoiler! :
forgive the teeny reply,,, James is just quiet

415 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:31 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

The inside of the shelter felt a bit warmer than outside. She knew the blanket would prove to be quite useful though as chills still manages to sneak through some of the cracks in the walls.

“Thank you again, James. And this is better than being left outside, so, well, that’s good.”

Spoiler! :
teensy reply is a-ok!

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:27 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James followed in behind Adina, but stopped by the doorway. He pulled down some bark and vines that served as a makeshift door before turning around and sitting beside her, pulling his jacket closed.

"That it is," he said softly, leaning back on the wall.

A gust of wind whistled through the trees, and they could hear the willow's branches creak and sway with a shh. The pitter-patter of sprinkling rain began to quicken. Another roar of thunder rang out above them, and a flash of lightning shone dimly through the cracks in their door.

James looked at Adina. She was safe. She was dry. And she was warm - hopefully.

"Are you sure your friend is alright?" James asked. "If he's caught out there in this storm..."

415 Reviews

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:19 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina watched out of the corner of her eye because she thought the vine-and-bark combination as a door looked rather awesome when he was making it.

Woah, it was kind of cold still, but she had the blanket now, and that should definitely help both of them.

"Ah, yea, I'd think Chelim would've quit looking and then headed into town again. He always says I spend too long at one thing."

She grinned over at James. "Thanks for asking. What's your plan after the storm?"

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon