Young Writers Society

The Bunny and The Hawk

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James took in a breath and glanced at Adina.

"Just traveling like I always do. Just me and Elliot, this time. That's of course, after I make sure you find your friend and make it home safely."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:50 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

"You are far too good sometimes, James."

She sighed, leaning her back against one of the walls. In her hand was the blanket he told her to get, and Adina was very tempted to lay it over her legs.

But she didn't want to hog the warmth from James.

Adina held up the blanket.

"I'm sure we could figure out how to share this. If you're cold."
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James looked over at Adina, glancing at the blanket. He didn't understand why she thought so highly of him. It had been almost three years since they'd seen one another, and he was sure that they'd both changed in that time. She, of course, had gotten a little taller. She looked stronger, healthier, and happier than he'd seen her when she had first been captured as a recent runaway, fleeing for her life.

She still had some of the childlike spirit about her that made her endearing, but he could tell from the way she held herself that she felt more confident. He was sure that having a home and newfound friends helped.

"I'm fine for now," he said. "But I'll let you know if I get cold."

He didn't anticipate the weather becoming unbearably cold, but he didn't want to share the blanket. The physical proximity necessary to share a blanket was an unwelcome thought.

He tucked up his legs and rested his forearms on his knees, tilting his head back against the wall again. His hat slid back a little with the gesture, as it got caught between his head and the wall. He paused, and took his hat off, setting it to the side before assuming his previous posture. He didn't care to fix his hat hair that he knew he had. He didn't think any amount of fussing with it would help at the moment.

"So... Chelim, is it? How did you meet him?"

414 Reviews

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

"Oh!" She laughed. "Now that is an interesting story. After a few days of finding the Guild, this strange person comes up to me and says, 'You must be new, I haven't managed to scare you off yet.' And then he held out a hand."

Adina shook her head, amused still thinking about Chelim. "He didn't even give me his name before dragging me into some crazy idea he had."

"After that, though, we became friends. And, that's why I wanted to find him his favorite flower."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James's expression softened. Adina was still the sweetheart she always was, and he wasn't surprised that she'd practically run out into a storm to find a flower. He was concerned, of course, and was glad that he found her before the bear decided it was hungry, or the rains decided to pour, but this felt... right. He would've laughed if Adina hadn't ended up putting herself in such a tight spot over a flower. It really was a kind gesture, but it seemed like Adina still had a lot to learn about the world. He was glad it sounded like she still had people to look out for her.

"What's this flower look like?" he asked. "What makes it so special?"

414 Reviews

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:09 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

What did the flower look like? Adina thought of how Chelim described it, even while he most likely exaggerated some of what he said.

"Well, it's like a blend of a violet and a sunflower, with small, droopy light purple petals, and a bright yellow center."

She huddled into the blanket a little further. "An' it's special 'cause that was the first thing he remembered seeing as a child, growing right in front of him in the middle of some forest."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:25 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James hummed, trying to picture it, and if he'd seen it around. He felt that he knew the type of flower Adina was describing, but he couldn't remember the last place he'd seen it. He'd been preoccupied with other things, and flowers weren't on his mind - they were barely even a passing thought.

"He must have a good memory," James commented. "If he can remember a little detail like that from his childhood."

414 Reviews

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:35 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

She could still remember the drawing Chelim had shown her, and had then proceeded to sew into as many items of clothing as possible.

"Ah, that's for certain. He's claimed before that he could never forget it."

And he didn't let off lecturing her about the time Adina thought she found it, but it was a different kind of flower.

"I'm impressed every time he brings it up, like it's a freshly pulled flower, and not one from when he was barely three."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:18 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James nodded a little, trying to imagine what Chelim looked like. Trying to imagine Adina with her new friends, coming into her own, finding a new home. Happy. Safe. Somewhere she could be herself, without hiding her magic for fear of death or judgement.

He was glad for her, really.

But he was beginning to wonder how long he was going to be stuck with Adina in this little hut while they waited out the storm. It wasn't that he didn't mind Adina's company, but things felt different now. She was a mage, and a part of a secret guild cut off from the world. And him - well, he was still staying on the move, like he always did, but a lot had happened in between.

He didn't know how long he'd be able to dance around personal matters. He hoped... he could stick to asking Adina questions. For the moment, at least, she didn't seem to mind or even notice he was doing so.

"Have you made any other friends? Besides Chelim?"

414 Reviews

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:18 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina peered back at James, letting her mind wander before answering his next questions. She was grateful for his company, so she would gladly keep talking with him, but she did want to know more about his past.

"Most of the people at the Guild are quite nice to me, but everyone else is pretty much on the same level, besides Chelim. We were all busy training the first couple of years, so there wasn't as much time to get to know each other."

She shrugged, waving a hand. "Of course, since we're going on an adventure for a flower, we have a little more spare time to interact with other Guild members."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:13 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James looked over at her, raising a brow. "Wait, so this whole flower thing - are you expected back at any time? Will people be looking for you?"

414 Reviews

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

"Ah, well, not really? Everyone at the Guild knows Chelim and his usual tricks, so unless it's been a week, no one would really be worried."

Adina shrugged. The closest the leaders had gotten to panic only happened when nearly the entire Guild didn't show up to their daily meeting. When the truth came out later, something involving quite a lot of people drinking a rather extraordinary amount of alcohol, the entire town came out to laugh at the miserable crew.

Of course she hadn't overindulged herself, rather so that she be entertained by her drunk comrades.

"Plus, Chelim was never known for being too on time. Things have been pretty quiet at the Guild, and so they gave us a few days off."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:26 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Ah." James admittedly, didn't really understand. He had never been a part of a guild and he didn't know how they worked, especially in what was, to everyone besides probably himself and the actual guild, a post-guild world.

"But uh, the guild. You've been alright? Are you enjoying it? Has it been good for you?"

414 Reviews

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:42 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

"Yes, yes, don't worry." Adina shook her head. "I really wasn't sure what to expect at first, with it being a secret and hidden for all this while, but I'm glad I made it here."

She moved back enough to the wall to lean her back at an angle. "I've learned a whole lot of things, from magic to just life."

Adina glanced up at James, a half-smile across her face. "I wish you all were able to be here with me, though."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James stared at her for a moment, blinking as he met her eyes.

She wanted him with her? At the guild? Why? He didn't have any magic, and he had nothing to offer. He was pretty sure they wouldn't want him anyway - sure, they were both in the same boat as people wanted by the law, but Adina was one of them. James was a traitor. That kind of reputation didn't do well for building trust.

That, and he simply couldn't imagine what that kind of life would look like.

He wanted to ask Adina why, but words suddenly became a very difficult thing to procure. Language was suddenly in very high demand, and he didn't have any of it.

He tore his gaze away, looking back at the makeshift door.

Another roar of thunder boomed throughout the sky, and the rain seemed to be coming down harder.

"Well," he said, swallowing. "I'm - I'm here now." For now.

A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.
— Mark Twain