Young Writers Society

The Bunny and The Hawk

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James was already looking out the cracks in the door with a focused stare, and slowly crouched to his feet. He held up a hand to indicate Adina should stay quiet as he went to see who or what was outside. If it was another bear, their best bet was to stay hidden and quiet. He hoped Adina didn't have any food on her to draw it closer.

He inched towards the "door" and peeked out one of the cracks in the wood, and caught sight of a pair of legs, and muddied shoes. The rain was letting up a little, and the thunder and lightning had begun to calm down. Whoever it was might've just been looking for shelter, but James worried they were also looking for trouble (on the off-chance they approached because they recognized James's horse, who wasn't fully hidden).

He kept his hand on his gun on his hip and pushed the door aside slowly, knowing a confrontation was inevitable.

"Who are you, stranger?" he called out.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:50 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

“Uh, hi, you’re scary-looking but I’m hoping you’re with a lovely friend that’s named Adina,” he replied, with a shaky grin.

Adina laughed, reaching out a hand to pat James on the arm. “It’s okay, that’s just Chelim. He’s a bit of an idiot.”

“Hey! That’s not nice.”

She stepped closer, still huddled a bit because of the cold. “Did you find your magical, birthday flower? And, how’d you make it here out of the storm?”

He shrugged. “I’m pretty sure I’ve got it with me. Oh, were you worried about me?” Chelim smirked at the first punch to his side. “Yeah, yeah, I know. I met some people in town who let me stay under their roof for a while. And, then, I was just trying to find where you could’ve sheltered.”

“I ran into a bear, so I was a bit more worried for myself then you, but once the storm hit, I hopes you weren’t stuck in the forest. Are you gonna show me the flower that trekking through a storm was necessary for?“

“Yeah, yeah, here,” he answered, pulling carefully out a small, bright red, delicately dotted bloom.

Well, at least it was pretty.

“Anyway, this is James,” Adina said, pointing her thumb back at him. “He’s from before.”

“Ohh.”
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:58 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James moved out of the way as Adina pushed past him to go to Chelim, who was not quite what he'd expected, but things started making sense when he saw him and Adina interact. He picked his hat up and slid it back on his head as Adina explained who he was, and gave Chelim a not with a tip of his hat.

"I'm glad you found what you came for," he said. "The flower. And Adina."

414 Reviews

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:29 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

“Thank you, mighty fine mister.” Chelim tipped his non-existent hat. “Thank you for keeping Adina safe.”

“You know I can take care of myself, right?” Adina asked. She then turned to James.

“Can I borrow your time to help us to get back to town? I have a feeling Chelim stumbled upon us more than deliberately finding this place.”

She turned a wide smile towards James.

“Please?”

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:41 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James looked between the two of them, but his eyes landed on Adina and her smile, combined with her pleading, almost puppy-eyed gaze. He was tempted to say no - not just for the sake of it, but because Chelim seemed capable of leading them back.

But, in the event that in their journey home, they ran into any other trouble, he didn't know if he'd forgive himself if he could've been there to help.

With a resigned sigh he dipped his head.

"I suppose one more little detour wouldn't hurt," he said. "Let's make sure you two get home."

414 Reviews

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:56 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

After thanking James, the three of them trekked back to where Adina hoped would be where she had split with Chelim the first time.

She asked Chelim a few questions as they walked, leaving James in peace since she didn’t want to pester him too much. Adina laughed to herself, shaking her head at some of the stories her friend boasted about.

Too soon, James led them to the clearing that Adina had split with Chelim at the first place. Her heart sunk a bit lower with each step, knowing that this might be the last time she would see James, the quiet cowboy who looked after Elliot with a rare kindness.

Chelim knocked her shoulder lightly, taking her out of her thoughts. “I could guide us from here.”

She smiled, a bit sadly. “Okay. I need to say goodbye though.”

“He’s not going to hang around?”

“He has always appreciated his freedom.”

Adina turned to James, reaching out a hand towards his arm.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:06 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James froze for a moment as Adina turned around and caught his eyes. He could see the wistful sadness in her face as she reached out towards him, for his arm. He had a gut feeling that she wanted a hug.

Unsure, he inched a little closer, even though it felt unnatural to do so. Guilt nagged at his stomach as he overheard her last comment.

Freedom.

He didn't really feel like that was an accurate description of whatever it was that he had, but maybe it was. The freedom to run, and go wherever he please, with nothing and no one tying him down to one place.

Freedom was always a little lonely, if that's what it was.

"It was good to see you," he said softly.

414 Reviews

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:14 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

She could feel tears teasing at the corners of her eyes. “It was so wonderful to see you again, James.”

“C-could I get a hug, Mr. Cowboy?”

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:37 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James's normally hardened expression softened, and he nodded.

"Of course, Adina," he said, opening his arms up to welcome her in.

414 Reviews

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:41 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

“Thank you,” she whispered, wrapping her arms tightly around him.

Adina took a deep breath. “I’ll miss you,” she said into his chest.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:43 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James patted her back, and hugged her firmly. Something was stirring in his gut, but it was too far down to reach his eyes. He let Adina hug him for as long as she needed, and waited for her to pull away. Her voice was muffled as she spoke into his jacket, but he understood.

"I'll miss you too," he whispered, just for her to hear. "Stay safe out there for me, alright?"

414 Reviews

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:49 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

"I will," Adina laughed, even while she blinked away tears. "You too. I'm sure Elliot will keep you in check."

She stepped out of the hug, her hand still clutching at his sleeve.

"I can't thank you enough. Come find me if you ever need help from some funky magic users, okay?"

Adina wiped at her eyes, then smiled.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:08 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James met her eyes and smiled in return - a full smile, though he had to force it a little, it was still real. He still meant it. He could feel his dimples dip in under his stubble.

"I will. Goodbye, Adina," he said, before turning to mount up atop Elliot and turning him around, back into the forest. Back to his shelter. Back to where he was before he ran into the little girl, now grown up, in the forest.

He looked back and gave Adina a small wave before setting off through the trees.

414 Reviews

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:17 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

Adina stared at the fading form of James leading Elliot through the forest. She sighed, smiled one last time to say farewell to part of her family, before turning back to Chelim.

“Alright,” she said, grabbing his arm, “let’s get back to the Guild so we can show off your amazing flower, or whatever.”

Chelim laughed, tugging her along with him, even as he complained, “I know you’re being sarcastic, don’t get that way with me. You know how much this flower means to me!”

Adina shook her head, grateful that she decided to travel here and see her family once more.

“Yeah, yeah,” she humored him, as they walked closer towards the town.

The flower had taken on a new meaning for her today, representing not just Chelim’s birthday, but also seeing a friend after so long.

Spoiler! :
the end or is it *dun dun*

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:20 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

The End

My tongue must tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart, concealing it, will break...
— Katherine, The Taming of the Shrew