Young Writers Society

A Dead Man's Intuition

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:05 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James had been fine with the silence. The only thing that made it less bearable was the inevitable goodbye, but he knew it was for the best.

But when Skull finally turned to him, James felt a heaviness he couldn't quite describe.

He'd been a wanted man for at most, nine months, and this was the longest he'd known someone he could think to call something of a friend. In his heart, he knew this would be his reality for however long he survived. The moment his life had been marked with a price he knew his days were numbered. People like this - people like Skull, even in the midst of the complications and the pains - were treasures he didn't want to take for granted.

He forced himself to stand and look Skull in the eye. He reached out a hand and rested it firmly on Skull's shoulder.

"Don't worry about me," he said. "You just worry about getting home safe. I've been doing this for a while. I'll be fine."

He paused, pulling his hand away.

"And... thank you. For your help."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I had been about to turn away from James right when I heard him utter his gratitude.

"...You're welcome," I finally said. I wasn't sure what else I was supposed to say to that. I hadn't ever expected a word of thanks from him; I didn't deserve it. "...Thank you for putting up with me."

Then I turned away from James, hoping Nathaniel and Asmira couldn't read my face nearly as well in that moment as I knew they could. They had taken out the artifact and were both holding onto it.

They exchanged a look.

"Are you ready now?" Nathaniel asked.

I glanced back at James.

"Yeah," I said.

My hand was hovering right over the artifact when I realized that I had forgotten something monumentally important.

"Wait," I said, taking a step back. "I just need to go grab someone really quick."

Asmira and Nathaniel exchanged a confused look.

I darted outside.

Tony was right where I left her - standing near Elliot. Even as the rain pounded against us, I led her back towards the cabin. She had to stand outside, but I knew it would work if I was holding onto her reins when I grabbed onto the artifact.

Nathaniel blinked.

Asmira stared.

"Now I'm ready," I said.

I gave James a cheerful wave.

"Bye," I said.

There was an awkward pause.

"...Well," I started, "are we going to go?"

Asmira was the first one to get over her shock. Giving a very confused glance between me, the horse, and James, she nodded.

A few moments later, we were gone in a flash of bright light.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:53 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James wasn't sure what he'd been expecting. He didn't know how the artifact's magic worked, and how everything would appear, but the flash of light was nearly blinding.

James stumbled back on the crate he was sitting on, pinching his eyes shut and turning his face away. When he opened his eyes back up, Skull and his friends were gone, and so was the horse.

The moment he was alone, a familiar feeling crept over him like an old friend.

He felt like he was being watched. Paranoia. Except, this time, without Skull around, he couldn't afford to ignore it. He could never truly afford to ignore it, but somehow, with Skull, he'd felt a small semblance of safety. Maybe it was because he'd been too weak to fight anyone off without hurting himself, but it had been a relief to have someone like Skull defending him, even if it was mostly out of guilt-ridden obligation.

He stood up again, scanning the room. He checked the windows. He looked out the door. He ignored the fireplace, and the chair he'd been tied to, and the phantom heat on his skin.

Itching to get out, he slipped out of the cabin and found his way to Elliot, who was calmly resting in the shelter of the shed.

He sat down on the ground beside him, knowing they'd have to wait out the storm, but not wanting to do it alone. He leaned his head against Elliot's leg from where he sat, closing his eyes for just a moment.

A deep breath, in and out. He opened his eyes.

"I don't suppose you'll be missing Tony, will you?" he asked.

Elliot leaned his head down and nuzzled James's head.

James's mouth broke into a tiny smile, but it quickly contorted into a sad frown.

"Yeah. Me too."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo