z

Young Writers Society

Finding Family

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Vigilante work?" she raised an eyebrow, "Why? I mean, you've got a little brother to take care of. That sounds like a stupid risk."

She might sound like a hypocrite, she realized, but it was pretty clear to her that she wasn't. The people she went after were already going after her. She didn't bother dispelling petty crime or the up-and-coming crime bosses that infested the city like pests. The only people she tried to tear apart were her father and his branch of Caedis, nothing more.

Eddie was safer if she wasn't being hunted.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He looked over at the helmet resting on one of the crates.

"It's just a part of who I am," he said. He looked at the face that wasn't there, trying to imagine the person that was supposed to be wearing it - who he could never truly be. "I did it before my brother came along. I can't ignore the need for it in Gotham, no matter how hard I try to. I just have to be out there, helping people in whatever ways I can."

He turned back to Megara.

"And the helmet helps," he added. "No one knows who I am."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:52 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

She chuckled, leaned back on her hands, "The anonymity 'ought to be nice."

She couldn't imagine it. Sure, she wasn't all that likely to be recognized on the street by any given passerby, but the moment she stepped anywhere she actually needed to be, everyone would be on high alert looking for her. Thus why her list of crimes included so many counts of identity theft. Imitate someone's voice and accent, make sure they have a similar enough skin tone and physical structure, and all she would have to do is find the right embellishments to convert herself into someone else. That plan usually involved an awful lot of pre-planning and more than a little kidnapping each time, but it was usually worth the risk.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:57 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He gave a small smile.

"It is," he agreed, "especially after having to stay away from too much attention when I'm not wearing at. I'm legally dead. My dad is a bit of a local celebrity, so people could recognize my face if I draw too much attention to it. Which would be bad, since my family doesn't even know I'm alive..."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:06 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Her eyebrows drew together, "Why haven't you told them..." she shook her head, "Nevermind." She wouldn't tell her family either, though she suspected Jason had reasons other than what hers would be were she in his situation. His tone and the words he chose to speak about his family with suggested that he cared about them, that he loved them the way you're supposed to love your family.

She frowned, and idea beginning to form in her mind...

She pushed it away.

Ideas like that were for after she got her newest unexpected guest home.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:12 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Even though the question had been dismissed by its asker, Jason still faltered as he worked on mixing together what he thought was the right amount of spices. He couldn't explain to her that the story he had given Eddie last night wasn't really his to give - that was the real Jason's story. This Jason was just a cheap fake, one who couldn't even fulfill his most notable character arc.

His family had to think he was dead because the plot relied on it. His character relied on it. Picking the name Red Hood was supposed to be a hint that he had something to do with Joker, and the affinity for violence he was supposed to have should have shown that he had some kind of vendetta. But he had picked Red Hood because that was just what fit the name Jason Todd, and he couldn't even bring himself to do the kind of anti-hero stuff Jason was known for.

He wanted to see his dad again. He wanted to see Alfred. And he wanted to see Dick again without having to hide his face - they had been partners in arms, and Tim being there didn't change that.

"It's a long story," he finally said. Megara had taken back her question, but that didn't stop it from hanging in the air. "I...have a role that I need to fulfill, and I can't fulfill it if my family knows I'm alive. The only way I can make things right is by waiting for the right moment."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:12 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Sounds complicated," she commented as she reached over for the shelf of mostly-poison. She picked out a disinfectant and dug out a roll of bandages that wasn't supposed to be there and got to work attending to her wound. She didn't want to risk infection, especially not with her other leg so thoroughly messed up.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:40 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He sighed.

"It is," he agreed. "I wish things were different, but I guess that's just how my life is now."

He gave a small smile - there was one good thing about it. All he had to think about was who he would see when he finally returned home, and some of the feelings gnawing at him faded away. "But at least I have Damian - he's my little brother."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:05 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Damian," she repeated. It was an unusual name. It's an unusual name here, she reminded herself. He was many different kinds of foreign.

She re-wrapped her wound, finishing with it, and replaced the supplies on the shelf. "You strike me as the older sibling type," she commented, "Let me guess, you're occasionally left to take care of him? Whoever plays the parental role has more important stuff going on all the time or something?"

She was making assumptions, but she felt she was in the ballpark if not on the mark.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:11 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He faltered.

"Actually," he quietly said, "I'm his only caretaker right now."

He was almost done with the eggs at this point, but he didn't say anything about it - his focus was solely on the conversation they were having. It was an easy guess to make. He didn't look that old. Sixteen, seventeen years old at most if you really squinted. But he was the sole adult in Damian's life now, and he had to be careful with everything he did because of it.

"His mother's side of the family is..." He gave a little tense, nervous laugh. "I can only say that they did a good thing bringing me back, and even that's a little questionable. His father doesn't know he exists. I'm the only person who can care for him right now that doesn't have some ulterior motive other than making sure he's happy and safe."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"Hm." She didn't want to press this topic. It was undeniably similar to her relationship with Eddie. Gods, she wished it wasn't.

She frowned, "Does your world not have law enforcement other than yourself? Why would you risk putting your little brother in danger if you got hurt doing...whatever it is you do, exactly?"

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:46 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He grabbed three plates.

He was glad that he could talk about his life without worrying too much about the repercussions on the plot, but Megara's questions were all the ones he hadn't wanted to think too much about.

"We do have law enforcement," he agreed. "But Gotham's law enforcement is notoriously corrupt, and even its good members aren't unable to stop the more powerful threats to the city."

He served the egg onto the plates, his face drawn in thought. "...I know it's dangerous, " he admitted, "but I have advantages others don't have. The villains-criminals don't change too much. I already know their tactics, but they don't know mine that well yet. They also don't know the scope of my knowledge. They still think I'm a new player."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:00 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"That's one hell of an advantage. I'm almost jealous."

Too comfortable. She was too gods-damned comfortable. She took a breath, steeled her nerves.

What about him was putting her at ease like this? Lowering her guard? The little brother? The paralells?

She pushed them out of her mind. As far as she was concerned, this was just another job. He was a means to an end, gone sooner than later preferably. He had to go home, she had to stay here. There was no need for anything beyond a working relationship.

Just treat it like a job.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:18 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The plates lay in front of him. He knew he needed to get Eddie now, but he wanted to continue this conversation for just a little longer.

"It has its ups and its downs," he said. He shifted a little, now that he wasn't cooking any longer. "There is one person who I hope finds out I'm alive soon outside of my family - he's currently in jail, but I know I'll see my killer eventually. I want to see the look on his face when he realized he failed at murdering me."
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:21 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

She raised an eyebrow, "From what you've said, he didn't fail. You're just too stubborn to stay dead." She picked at her food but didn't eat any of it. She was too busy thinking.

There were many solutions to her little problem here, but Jason may object to most of them. He didn't strike her as the type to approve of innocents getting hurt, and most of her plans involved at least one hostage.

She stopped those thoughts for now. She could plan later.

"What's your world like?" she asked, then was immediately hit by Deja Vu.

Skull hadn't really answered her question when she'd asked him the same thing, though. But then, he was a prick. He'd just said something vague about how he didn't really have a homeworld, bla bla bla. She wished she hadn't been listening. It would have bought her more time to think about how to keep her injury properly hidden. Maybe then she might have actually succeeded.

he/they

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix