Young Writers Society

The Broken Seal (Season One)

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:58 pm
Lumi says...

David

The way David felt the need to describe the mountains around him surpassed the gut-wrench of tower or impose. He felt, as he dismounted his horse, that the appropriate description would be demanded. They were demanding of him in the same way that duty demanded of him. For God, family, and country. His eyes were tired; his gaze lingered on stray objects in the field of the valley before narrowing to adjust to the darkness of the cascading ravine beneath the mountains.

The sight gave an iron tug in his chest, though he’d been the one to carve it out years ago. And with the aid of the scholars, he’d ensured every several feet were safeguarded by earthen wards and runes of ornate and cruel intricacy. He had literally created a nightmare of a stairwell. Something a mage would be proud of. Something his superiors were proud of.

Something Farrow hated for its purpose.

Below the ravine, in the cold, dark haven of the soundless, lightless cavern, waited two sentries who shifted and drew their weapons as he came close.

“The iron of your scabbards allow for the glint of friction when your weapon draws, sentinel. It was by my strict order that weapons be held in-hand at all times to prevent accidents.”

His voice gave them both ease and tension on differing plateaus. First, he was not an intruder; however, second, he was Commander Farrow, and his presence in the Black Stair meant something was amiss--though the word failed to explain his reasonings.

“Matters have arisen that require a discussion with the prisoner,” he said, voice flat. “No matter what sounds may come from the inside, you are not to open the cell. Is that understood, Sentinels?”

“Yes sir,” they clapped in unison.

Farrow placed a hand on the wall between the guards and let out a long, beleaguered breath. The echoing, roiling sound of earth shifting around him in the blackness of the cell was nightmarish, and it registered with him, after so long, how volatile his interviewee could be in these conditions.

He knew, after all, that he would be.

The sounds ceased. He stood in a massive dome of a chamber, the only noticeable sensory details being the stark contrast between fresh water coming from an underground spring, the wafting scent of shit from a seemingly infinite well beneath the earth, and the heaviness of the presence in the chamber.

“You are late,” a voice cooed. “Laaaate. Late, late…late. I mean, you know that I knew that you knew…wait no. I knew that you knew?” Flesh slapped against hard rock in the poorly lit corner. “Urnfgh. This one had a glorious speech planned in his head, but it all froze over when you came in.” A slap to the knee, followed by grounding breath. “So, Mister Farrow, to whom do I owe the--” A skull slapped against the rocks in the corner. David smelled blood, then. “Headache?”

David slowly deflated. He dropped his coat to the stone floor and sat on an outcropping of rock that shot from the floor. “You like stories, Xander?”

“They’re delightful.”

“When Fiona and I were kids, there was this hag in a nearby village who ‘read fortunes’ for just around five coins. Fiona loved her, and whenever Mum took us to the village to visit the grocer, we’d have to stop and visit her.” He closed his eyes. “It was the only way Fiona would be happy leaving home. I cipher it to be a sort of safety blanket mechanism.”

Smacking lips. “Ah! Your Lucas went through that.” In the corner, the man licked his fingers. “The safety blanket phase.” Fingers pointing at lines and dots in front of his face with no perceivable aim. “Yes, you’ll remember. The horse. His first horse. It was quite ill. Quite ill. Rabid, was it?”

“Remarkably, yes.”

“You, in all your short-sighted wisdom, decided to take Lucas to the forest where you put the horse down. Surprised you didn’t make him do it, the coward you were.”

A smirk. “Is that bravado, blind man?”

“Old friend, in prison, you either have bravado, or the other inmates will take quite the advantage of you.”

“Other Prisoners?”

A grin, a smirk, an exhale of a laugh. “Spoilers,” he cooed. “But David, are you saying--hm.” Knuckles drug across the stone floor as the man floated near, stopped and crossed his legs to be in easy hearing distance of his guest. “You’re saying, present tense, no question, that you’ve come to the village fortune teller because--” another scoff, “--you’re feeling afraid?”

He growled beneath his breath as he exhaled. The man had waited nigh on a decade to toy with him.

“The devil you know. That’s the saying, isn’t it? But, Farrow, ask yourself: do you truly know me?”

David glared up at the man in tattered rags, barely enough meat on his bone to qualify him as a human, barely enough cloth on his skin to qualify him as civilized. David stood. “I am in this personalized hell so that I may know what revenge plot you’ve written, you piss-poor forsaken prophet of a bastard god.”

Alex raised a hand toward his forehead, parting the matted locks of hair hiding his face. “Hrumm.” Alexander bobbed in a circle around David. “Anger. I suppose I should have known...” He mumbled, drifting towards his fountain, dipping his fingers into the clear waters. “Would you like some wine?” He pulled his own hand out, letting several drops of scarlet fall into his mouth.

David slowly sank to his seat, eyes on the floor. “Alexander,” he heaved, “the world is in such incredible danger, and you--” He balled his fists. “You wish to sit and toy with me.” His wolfish glare strode to Alex’s face, hidden behind stained white and fallow hair. “You won’t even recognize what peril you’ve sewn.”

The prophet sank to the floor where he exchanged glances up at David, curious. “The elements are what you’re afraid of. Four things that you see, smell, touch each day. You believe that I’m exacting revenge through...elements? That’s terribly droll, Commander.” He tapped on his chin for a moment. “No, Farrow. I am not a vengeful man.” His hand slipped to his knees while his tongue lapped at his lips. “Though, if I were.”

There was a long pause. The spring bubbled behind him.

“If I were, my revenge would not be the peril of the earth. I love the earth. I was born there. ” An honest smile. “But vengeance...oh, that’s a sweet word that you’ve put in my mouth, Farrow.” Lips smacking. A grin. “What if I extracted my vengeance in the minds of those who harmed me? What if all along, from the very beginning of my crusade, my only goal was to long-suffer the vine of seething hatred inside of you?” He grew nearer. “Such that you could no longer trust.”

Knuckles dug into the rocks.

“Such that you could no longer love?”

Sweet iron wine on the rocks.

A whisper. “Such that you would come to your most hated enemy for advice.”

There was quiet. And another sensory detail, noted by the prophet Alexander: the weight of a breaking spirit--just not the one intended by the seer.

Alex reached out and touched David’s hand with his well-broken and mutilated fingers. “The elements will awaken, from how I see.” His eyes and head darted about to see specks of time floating about. “And I will be in the sunlight for the day the world breathes again.” He nodded. “And that’s why you were late, Farrow,” he noted. “Not because I wanted to toy with you. I’m not sadistic. I’m not cruel. I am a man of means that allows another man to meet the end. I justify the men who walk proudly in the fresh air. I bolster the actions of the bold.”

His grip tightened, voice quieting into a whisper.

“Truly, Farrow, you are late in the matter that I had hoped you would have come sooner, that more may have been spared.” His eyes closed. His head shook. “Did you truly believe the assassins in my employ would ill-commit to their duties if only you removed their master?”

David stood, stepping back. “Casius was imprisoned by an Ahiri faction years ago.” He smirked. “And Helena is dead.”

“She’s quite not,” he corrected.

“Alexander, I identified her body in the capital. I watched her burn.”

“She visited you recently. Did you not read her note?”

David furrowed his brow. “Her note?”

“Ah, yes.” Eyes closed, he could see the branch in the timeways. “You never were one to check your pockets. Neither was your sister, upon recall.”

David grabbed his jacket from the floor and tore through the pockets and zippers, dropping it once he found a tiny, thorned rose made of a lavender parchment. He unfolded it slowly, as he would unfold a burning missive of molten sheets.

It was blank. He flipped it.

Blank.

“I don’t understand,” he growled. “Helena has been nowhere near my village. The only visitors we’ve had recently were Dawson’s band and the rogue--”

Alexander slowly stood, brushing his tattered robes down. “The reason you take me for a vengeful man, Farrow, is that you are so boringly easy to subvert.”

David raised his right sword. “Tell me what this paper is for. Why is it blank?”

“Helena would never leave an old friend a wordless note,” he noted. “That would be rude.” He turned his head to the side, peering off at specks in his eyes. “What does she look like now? I have seen the possibilities, but not all of them. After all, one tends to admire each element of his soulmate, and when the face of your soulmate is one among billions--well, I needn’t tell you how long it would take, you being the ladies’ man you always were.”

His head turned back. David was still staring at the paper without a clue of how to read it.

“Have you considered the possibility that the writing was covered in dust during your travels?”

David sighed and blew on the page. A sudden flash of fire erupted from the missive, flooding the room with light that vanished in a mere moment, sapped into the palms of the prophet, newly-energized, who blinked across the chamber and gripped David by the throat. Paralyzed, the commander dropped his sword, struggled to breathe. Stems of light spread through David’s face, showing through his veins, and brought out a scream as they reached his eyes, his brain--the center of his mind where his alchemical control was housed. Rocks shook, the chamber began to crumble. Flashes of gold and verdant energy tore through the walls and ceiling, searing a skyway through the dome above. There was more light. There were droplets of rain.

Alexander ripped his control from David’s mind, shredding the consciousness from his body before he dropped him to the ground among the falling shards of rock. As he hovered out, he gazed down at the commander’s body, covered here and there by boulders. “Don’t give me that look, Farrow,” he groaned. A shot of light burned an encroaching sentinel and dropped him into the pit. “You never said we couldn’t trade!”

Alex looked left and right, shooting more sentinels as they approached. Body after body fell into the pit. Then he barked into the pit angrily. “FINE! But don’t think for a moment,” as he tucked an arm around David’s belly, “that you’ll be an alchemist anytime soon.”
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:09 pm
Lumi says...

“Daniel Andrew Dawson,” called a guard, “you are under arrest for the premeditated breakout of Prisoner 420, Andrew Daniel Dawson. You and your comrades will surrender, or we will be forced to take you as a hostile criminal.”

Danny let the stone roll down his arm and tucked it smoothly into his uniform. His bravado was up. His bravado was up.

“Gentlemen, I am the son of the pirate queen and heir to the fortune of the Blacktide Sea. I have never been, nor will be, a captive, and the three folks with me will attest to what’s about to happen.”

A finger pointed at the captain of the guard as Danny’s boot slammed into the ground, shooting a staff into Leigh’s hands and a pair of hora into Andy’s. “You will all fall where you stand, and unless you surrender, this city will crumble.” A nod to Leigh. “Just like the Temple of Eden.”

The slick scrape of a greatsword unsheathed cut the sudden silence as the guards parted ways, including the captain.

A sword came through, black and sleek and pointed at Danny’s face. The wielder was easily twice his size and clad in a black variant of the Celtincrown Guard plate mail. “You have admitted to so many incredible things, Dawson.” His voice was like a clap of thunder, like the sound of his boots on the stones. “In fact, given your admitted involvement in the Temple of Eden calamity, I, General Warren Baretta, hereby charge you with the regicide of Queen Mary Ganymede.”

The crew shifted, their confusion obvious. Several guards turned their gaze up in alarm.

“The people are wont to deny the passing of Her Majesty, and thus the population has yet to know; however, with no heir to the throne and with Her Majesty’s death circumstances being...circumspect...we are led to believe that her passing came at the hands of a wielder of alchemical might unknown to the citizens of Celtincrown.”

There was a sneer beneath the helm.

“A might like yours.”

Danny cocked his head to the side, utterly puppy-dogging. “So...somebody turned her to stone? Wood?” A hand left his chains that remained in place, scratching his chin. “I guess they could’ve turned her into a throne...or at least a pretty nice chair.” He looked up at Warren. “Did someone turn her into a chair? Because I can fix that.”

The giant growled. “How in the twelve hells did our men have so much goddamn trouble killing you?!”

Danny shrugged and cracked the whip of his chains. “I’m gonna hit you now.”

“I welcome the felony.”

“Joke’s on you!” Danny snorted. “I left all my pocket baloney on the ship!”

“You Ser’s waiting for a countdown?” Simone barked, breaking through Danny and Andy as she charged forward. Both hands clasped tightly to her sheathed blades. “Three.”

A trio of knights rushed forward, shields raised. Simone sneered. The rain pattered against their steel armor, the rushed drums mixed with the forceful splatter of the dock. Hands clasped to her still-sheathed blades, she rushed right into the enemies makeshift wall. At full speed, Simone lept forward, her legs shooting forward to slam into the middle knight’s shield. “Two.”

The knight before her gasped for air as his stance collapsed, his feet sliding back instead of planting themselves. Looking down in panic, he discovered the strip of ice underneath him and his comrades.

The cold steel snuffed away the knight’s warning. His own shield slamming forward, cracking down against his jaw with a hard snap.. “One.

The knights now beside her hadn’t turned by the time Simone sheathed her second blade, arcing it over her head with a twirl. Two trails of ice mimicking it;s movements at her sides. With a hollow ring, the ice crashed into the knight's groins; lifting them into the air. Simone stepped off the chest of her first victim (of the day hour.) She whistled as she walked, the corpse’s of her victims punctuating the tune as they collapsed onto the dock.

“Fight!” Simone said with a hearty laugh, trailing it with a manic tone. “Was that a good enough cue for you lot?”

The guard cowered, retreating back a few steps. Several bumped into one and another as they slipped on the icy wood. Behind them Andy dusted his hands, flakes of ice cracking of them as he smirked.

“You’re quicker than I would have thought,” Leigh mused, turning vis cheek. “But how does an alchemist freeze water?”

“I’m a pirate, prick. Think the Dawson Pirate clan ruled the seas with generations of alchemy?” he flexed. “We seadogs all have some mutt in us.”

“You two gonna keep flirting or--” Simone caught Danny kneeling beside the Knight’s bodies. “Danny, what are you doing?”

With a smile, he got up and walked toward Simone with open arms. The guards watching them only more dazed by their causality in the background. “Just making sure you’re keeping up to the agreement.”

Andy stepped forward. “Look, General Boring Vendetta, or whatever it was, as much as I would love to smash some skulls and all those other fun bits, it would make my baby bro cry.” He shook he head. “And that’s just too much of a hassle for me.” He dug his knuckle into Danny’s head as he passed by.” SO, how about you stop hiding behind those pathetic excuses for fighters, and let us cut to the real fight here.”

The general parted a path through his men with the end of his great blade, stopping at the ice, his face curled in disgust. “You dogs will pay in blood for your crimes.” With a champion’s roar, he heaved his greatsword down into the dock, the wood quaking under his might. Ice shattered around the blade, a ripple of force shattering it into to dust lost in the rain. A brief sparkle in his grim entrance, the general marched forward without pause, the black of his armor a shroud against the dazzle around him.

“Bandit time!” Danny shouted, sporting freshly looted shield and sword of an unconscious guard.

Andy led the charge, attention divided as he looked over his weapons. “Danno, why’d you give me these puny thing?” The thug pouted, ducking under a retaliatory jab from Buretta. “You know how-” Andy’s words were muffled by the steady crash of wood against steel, hollow rings stacking ontop of each other. Satisfied, the thug rolled back from close quarters, smirking. “-rusty I am.”

Beretta chased after Andy, running straight into Leigh’s held out staff. Beretta stunned, Leigh swung her staff back, jabbing the hardy wood into the gut of his armor. Instead of the booming ring, the armor crackled, Leigh’s staff ramming through a patch of fresh rust. No armor to block the hit, Buretta collapsed forward as the air rushed from his lungs, barely manage to stay on his knees.

“You benders infur-” Cold steel slapped across Buretta’ face, a lone gauntlet falling to the ground beside him. He glanced up,a barrage of armor pieces flying towards him; with Danny behind it. The guard lept to his left— Andy’s fist slammed into the Buretta’s helmet, knocking him across the ice and back to the barrage. The metal clashed against each other, Beretta's ears throbbing as the vibrations in his armor amped up. When he finally managed to focus his sight, Simone had already closed the distance, her blades slicing through the spotted rust patches of his armor.

“Men, retreat!’ Beretta managed to exclaim, moments before Simone slashed the top of his helmet clean off.
Simone raised her dagger for another slash, but paused as she saw his face. “Your eyes don’t match-” Beretta swatted Simone back, tackling into her as he charged out of his kneel. The two slammed into the ground, Beretta's weight pinning Simone against the boards.

“Mouthy women annoy me,” he growled, raising a fist. “But I can change that.”

“Pfft” Simone laughed, spit splattering against Beretta's smug grin. “In your dreams.” The spit froze across Beretta’s face, the veil of ice blurring his vision. His fist slammed down in anger, into the wood beside Simone’s head.

Danny slammed a sword into the wood, roots bolting out from its point and towards Simone. Wooden tendrils snared Beretta’s arms. Ripping the sword from the ground, Danny ripped Beretta off of Simone, letting the guard’s body crash to the ground.

Beretta’s armor shattered as he met the ground, the rusted steel crumbling to a mix of shrapnel and dust around him. His hands clutched the shards of steel around him, his teeth clenched as he staggered to his feet.

“Ya know,” Andy sighed. “I may want to kill this guy, but-”

Danny shot him a glare.

“Calm down, I said want,” he rolled his eyes. “Plus, he’s kinda growing on me. Never seen a normie last this long in a bend-” Andy paused, raising a hand to his cheek, pulling it away to find blood across it. Another pinch of pain, and another, more blood crawling down his pretty, if dinged up, face.

Danny raised a wall for defence, the group peeking through the gaps in the wood to see Beretta standing tall across the dock...and the balls of lightning surrounding his fists.
-Shinji Moon

745 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:10 pm
Lumi says...

Stephan

Stephan bolted out of the tub. Steam clouded his visage, but as the clouds parted his golden locks shone bright, steam dried to perfection. Face cleansed, pores opened. Stephan was truly refreshed.

“I feel like utter shit.” Stephan dry heaved, grabbing the tub edge for support.. “What in scorching plains happened back there.” His breaths were heavy, shallow.

Aten placed as hand to Stephan’s cheek, a breeze of cold air rushing over the pair. “You got us out of there in one piece, that’s what.”

Fi smacked Aten’s arm away, placing a thermometer between Stephan’s lips. “Don’t speak too soon,” Fi warned. “But yes, you and Helios managed to blow straight through the-”

“That’s laughable,” Stephan raised his head. “You don’t have to spare me the shame, how badly did I fail? I was hoping Danny pulled Plan B off.” Stephan looked across the confused expressions. “I passed before I was even a third in, my hand slipped and cut across the circle.”

“But before I went down, the wall burst apart.” Helios hung his head back/. “I assumed you knew some sort of combustion technique and wanted to be ~dramatic~”

“I only ever Squired, my powers are limited to that of a standard Flank-Knight of Parix.”

FI and Helios’ gazes met in synch. “Cassius.” The both muttered in disgust.

“That bastard couldn’t have just been there,” Helios said. “I knew-”

“Knew what? That we should fight the man that nearly killed us how many times?” Fi tugged at her hair. “I didn’t buy his act for a moment, but we had our friend to worry about. I wasn’t going to give him anymore of my time.” Fiona paced away from the steam puffs orbiting Stephan’s body in strategic places, leaving frosty footprints in her wake. “Casius never went to risky places without reasons.” Letting her head thicken with the flashbacks. “Fuck you for making me give him more time, Helios. Fuck you!”

“Fuck you for not offing him in the sewer!”

“He never went anywhere unless told to do so. Unless paid to do so. It’s in David’s reports.”

“None of Xander’s men did.”

“Not even Xander, and that means that something drew him out of hiding. But what would draw him here?”

There was dead silence, and the steam, frost, ice, and smoke suddenly fell from the room.

“Is he in the, seemingly ever growing, crowd of people who know about the Eden stone?” Aten pressed, his voice tight, eyes darting to his bow.

It took all of Fiona’s might and speed to catch Aten before he could rip his way out of the window, but with him entrained in ice, she wrestled him to the floor. “You can’t rush in! None of us can rush in!” There was panic on her face. “Helios. Helios please.”

“I’m the only one fast enough to have a shot!” Aten slammed his bow onto the floor, the wood snapping. “I need to take the shot.”

A crackle filled the room as Stephan gingerly closed the window. “I believe, my butterscotch prince, that you have no need to fear.” Though his voice was still a wheeze, he was confident all the same--in the way only Stephan could be mortally-wounded and confident. “The bombsmith came to the city for the stone...we can be nearly certain of that. But which Dawson brother would he want, really, if either?”

Aten reared up against Fiona’s arms with tears stinging his eyes. “I can’t take that chance, Stephan!” The splinters split his skin. “I can’t”

“But we won’t chance losing you either.” Fi screamed. “If he came here to kill, he will. But Aten, I hate his guts, but I know Cassius. Unless someone is actively in his way, he doesn’t kill. Just like the rest of Xander’s crew, he likes to toy too much.”

A shuffling of water as Stephan collapsed back into his water, overheating fairly quickly. “Fiona?” His head wilted to the side to watch her, his hair spilling onto his shoulders and chest.

“Yes, Stephan?”

“How many of those people are there…?”

“They’re dead, Stephan.”

“Cassius isn’t. How can you be so sure the rumors haven’t been exaggerated?”

Fi sighed. “I have this brother. Very brusque. Very neurotic. You’ve met him? You’ve met him. He’s obsessed over these criminals for over a decade now, and I can assure you--”

“You can’t.”

“--that he’s done his job well.”

“Our bomber argues otherwise. Please, tell me, what was his supposed fate before tonight?”

Fiona deflated and crumpled beside Aten, who rag dolled against her,, staring out the window into the storm above. “David imprisoned him in a desolate nation north of Kaldir where no one would find him...and far out of reach of those who asked.”

Aten’s chest heaved suddenly, his fists balled. “And after going to such lengths, he didn’t think to imprison Alexander’s wife when she attempted to murder an innocent man in his own village.” He shot up, a gale bursting from his feet. “My wind will ride me to Danny.” The window burst open. By a flash of lightning, he turned his head to look on at Fiona. “Blindness does not befit a healer.”

As he flitted onto the next stormy wind, Fiona turned, nose pinched and eyes closed. “Helios, you have a brother in the south. Do you ever feel...in your gut that one of you has made a terrible error?”

Helios rolled his eyes over. “I believe that’s guilt, Fiona, and my money says it belongs to you.”

“To be fair,” Stephan droned, “my boyfriend just flew off to save a hoodrat who is in much less danger than I.”
-Shinji Moon

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:24 pm
Lumi says...

Danny

“Dawson,” Beretta swore. “That name has haunted me my entire life.” He reached his arm forward, a gust of wind carrying his sword back to him. “You and all the other scourges to the world, laying waste with devilish glee. Heathen, demon, sadist….all my life I feared the gifts I was given. Not for what I could do, no” he snickered to himself. “I basked in the power, obsessed over it, always in secret. Instead, I feared that one day I would be found and tried, not for my own actions, but for crimes you committed.” He raised his blade, its steel hidden behind a curling of black haze. “Never again.”

His blade arc’d forward, a wild bolt of lightning on the docks. The wooden wall between them faded to ash in an instant, the flames snuffed out by the rain. Where Beratta once stood was only a fading haze of smoke and a trail of sparks leading— Andy only felt the shocks rock through his body as he tumbled across the dock, his body too numb to feel anything else. With the broad of his blade, beretta pushed Simone and Leigh away.

With his free hand Beretta grasped Danny by the neck, holding him out in front of him, electricity webbed around his finger tips.

Frosted steel cut a swath through his mighty grip, Leigh catching Danny as Simone took Beretta’s attention. Rain slowed around them, specs of water expanding into flakes of snow. Simone slashed through the air, the cowl of her blades growing with each strike, the frost curbing the daggers into sickles. Beretta attempt a block, but Simone jumped off his arms, hooking her blades into his shoulder and pulling him down. As Beretta fell, Simone’s ice chipped away, herself leaping off Beretta’s back and rolling to safety, albeit chained, weighed down in sicles of ice.

Beretta broke the shackle with the hilt, swung forward. A gun of thunder shot ragged out for Simone's chest, but a pair of fingers intercepted, and, with a tormented shout, Leigh shot the torrent into the sky, vis robes smoldering as the residual clap of thunder knocked the full party to their backs.

Beretta swung wildly as he fell, streaks of lightning flying through the air. Danny bashed forward to form a wall, but he was too late. The bolts flew past, Danny too slow to jump--Leigh flew back into Danny, who patted the flames on vis robes with both haste and respect. “Are you-”

Leigh pushed off Danny, brushing the ash off vis chest and raising vis sword. “I-”

Simone lept over the wooden barrier, grabbing Danny and Leigh by their collars and forcing them into a run. Before they could turn, Beretta burned a X through the wooden wall, his blade glowing red as he ran toward them. From the side Andy leaped in, shoulder colliding with Beretta-

A boom shook the docks; Beretta falling limp, Andy tripping over his body as it collapsed to the ground. A hole clean through his shoulder, Andy jumped to his feet, running over before he himself collapsed, three small darts lodged into the side of his neck. All eyes turned the the far end of the dock, a silhouette peeling his way out of the darkness. Hooded in a cowl of rags, the man ignored Danny's crew as he marched, with professional grace, towards Andy.

“Before either of you kids think of taking me.” A crude looking gun rose out of his cowl. “I ain’t trying to do any more work than I have to.” The stranger grabbed Andy by the back of his shirt, heaving Andy casually over his shoulder.
“You expect me to just let you take my brother?”

The man nodded. “I would have prefered a chat, but I think we can both agree your brother isn’t the best diplomat.” With his free hand, he cocked his gun, before twirling it down, yet his eyes drew the attention. A focused stare, eyes still and calm. He was in control.

“Cocky cunt,” Simone yelled. “Why are you just leaving us, huh?”

“Kids are never happy,” The man grunted, shaking as he chuckled to himself. “Think of yourselves as investments. One day you might be worth enough for me to pull the trigger.”

Danny, still winded, wounded, and ragged from the battle, stood as tall as he could. “I think you misunderstood, mystery man.” He wiped blood from his mouth with the back of his fist. “You’re not taking my goddamned two-timing shitstorm of a brother.”

The man tilted his head. He thought about this. And then he nodded. “You know, you’re right, kid.” He dropped Andy on the docks and aimed the barrel of his revolver at Simone. “That pretty little rock in your coat. That’s coming, too.”

“No deal,” deadpanned Leigh.

“Remember who I’m pointing the gun at, book jockey.”

“I’m aware. No. Deal.”

Danny’s chest swole with pressure and deflated. His fists tightened. “I’m an alchemist,” he threatened, “and I’m holding the most powerful artifact known to alchkind. I could bring the city to its knees and you couldn’t stop me and--”

Click. The hammer was back.

“A city can’t fall faster than a bullet. I’ve done the math.” He scratched his chin in boredom. “Now give me the goddamned stone so I can get some goddamned dinner and go see my kid.”

Simone had her eyes on the skies, face covered in raindrops. The others may have thought she was deep in prayer if they didn’t know her better. “Old man, is your blaster disaster faster than lightning?” Her voice was loud, shouting to the clouds.

“No,” he shouted back. “Lightning is unpredictable, its disaster waiting. A bullet? A bullet is precise.”

“You’ve got balls,” shouted Simone again, a small smile on her face, “Middle of a storm, can’t get more tempermental.”
The stranger laughed, pulling back a gear on the end of his gun. “The storm ain’t got shit on me-”

”The Heavens Are Another Case!” All heads swung up, the gun swung up, and Danny’s heart swung up to Aten hovering in the sky, bow drawn and a quiver of lightning floating around him. The clouds circling Celtincrown themselves seemed to be feeding his energy. The stranger took aim and unleashed a volley of shots--

--and a crash of lightning surged down from Aten in a blinding bolt of ever-engulfing light. The storm roared, the planks on the docks groaned and shouted as they shattered and fell to the lower city, and in the deafening silence that followed, in the blinding stillness, Danny, Leigh, and Simone found themselves safe on the ledge of the city. Danny slowly opened his eyes, ears ringing with the low roar of what he could only imagine was Aten’s anger--

--and he noted, in that moment, never, not a day in his life, to make Aten angry.

Aten drew his bow, a gale of wind springing forth beneath them, the debris slowed to a painful tumble instead of literal death. Once he landed, Aten rushed toward the crew, checked their pulses, their eyes, their breathing, their eyes. Everyone was okay.

Everyone. Was okay. He sat beside Danny and watched the horizon how he knew Danny would, watched the airship making headway to the west towards the ocean. The old man was gone. Andy was gone--and a sudden dread washed over him as he fumbled to unfasten Danny’s coat.

The pocket inside. Empty.

“The explosion came from this way, senators! Quickly!”

“Wadjet give me grace,” Aten muttered. He placed a hand against both Danny and Simone, the pair waking up in a fit, limbs flailing out as lightning corsed through them. Aten rushed to Leigh, administering the same, but ve stayed still. “Come on Wadjet.” Aten tried once, twice, three times more. By the time he gave up, Danny had come to.

“I think Fi may have started to get through,” he noted. Danny loosened his weighted belt and headband, tossing them aside as he clutched Leigh. “What now? I can feel the guards coming, heavy vibrations, so that means a lot.”

Simone kicked away some debris. “Then we don’t move at all.”

Soon enough the guard arrived, a small army of both cavalry and heavy plate, but the wreckage they arrived in was barren. They searched, no crevice unchecked, to no avail. If only they had known to look below, where the four bandits walked casually away from their fate. A glowing Arrow floated, lighting their path, as Danny punched his way through the dirt and rock ahead.

“Why did we have to fight so far down the dock?” Danny groaned. “My arms might fall off before I punch our way to the wall.”

Simone shrugged Leigh onto Aten, and grabbed a small camel skin bag off her waist. “I had Fi teach me a few tricks while you were in the slammer.” She poured the contents over Danny, and pressed the point of her dagger against his chest.

“...Why not start with that?” Aten asked.

“She wanted to see me suffer.”
_________“I wanted to see him suffer.”
-Shinji Moon

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:21 pm
Lumi says...

It was nearly dawn, the city on complete lockdown, when Helios and Thomas and Danny punched through the cliff face at the basin of the Celtincrown valley. Both alchemists fell on their faces, exhausted, while Aten, Fiona, and Simone, swept over them and began taking out guards in quiet, deadly succession. Twelve unconscious bodies later, the stables were clear and Stephan and Leigh had procured a large berlin on six stoked wheels.

“You’re bloody idiots,” Helios groaned. “The queen’s carriage is purple! It has gold trim! It’s PURPLE!”

Stephan and Leigh exchanged glances, and Stpehan returned his gaze to Helios with a finger raised, flame at the end.

“Oh.”

Danny sluggishly looked up from his napping spot on the wet ground and narrowed his eyes as the flames overtook his vision. “Thomas, don’t look now, but our car’s on fire.”

“At least it’s not the house this time,” the boy grumbled.

Danny dropped his face into the dirt again. “My mom was a bad cook, too. It’s why we lived on a boat.”

“Are you gonna be gone for long? I liked having a brother around who didn’t act like my stupid skin’d rub off on him if he got too close.”

Danny, remember, was so bad at being serious; however, he reached out a hand and clasped Thomas on the shoulder, nodding his cheek into the mud. “I’ll be back. We’ll have a race. I do my thing, Toms, and what’ll you do for me? You try and get some money.”

“Doin’ what? I already do street stuff for Heels.”

“What’s your dream, Toms?”

He paused. He was scared to tell Danny, the guy who’d just taken down half the city, the citadel, the guards. There’d only be one thing to be afraid of.

“You find the captain when you’re old enough, then. I got a name you tell him, and when you do, he’s gonna knock the shit outta you. If you can still stand, you’re in.”

“I’m in?”

Danny sighed. “When we’re gone, ask Helios to tell you about my sister.” He pushed himself off the ground with a groan and trudged towards the smoldering carriage, limping, where Aten grabbed him.

Thomas laid there, still, in the mud, face filthy but will unbending. He had an honest-to-gods hero.

________

“So you’re all tucked in, then, boys? Ready to say bye to your favorite city?”

Stephan and Danny tried lifting middle fingers, but Aten brought them down with soft pockets of air. “I think they’ll be just happy with seeing her backside as we leave.”

A horse galloped near from an off-trail wooded area, a black cloak lowering to reveal Simone’s pigeon-shit hair. “Okay, the path ahead is decidedly clear.”

“Bumps in the road?” asked Leigh?”

“Bumps in the road,” confirmed Simone.

“I swear,” teased Fiona, “You lot slaughter more than any butcher I’ve ever known--and I’ve known quite the butchers in my day!” She mounted up on a white palomino.

Simone groaned. “Don’t get righteous on me now, lady. When Danny’s asleep, I get to slice as many throats as I want, no matter how soft you’ve made his plumbus.”

“That’s my cue,” muttered Leigh as ve whipped the reins, lifting the carriage off. In the back, Danny began to count the stars over Celtincrown. In the back of his throbbing head, he almost wished he could see the shadow of a ship drifting in the distance, maybe coming for him. Maybe coming for all of them.

He imagined what would be waiting at the end of all of this. If they would celebrate in a tavern. His dad would sing songs with his band. Andy would laugh too loud and cop a feel on Simone when Danny looked away. Aten would smile at him from across the table like he always did, like he was so happy for him--but so worried at the same time.

He didn’t imagine Stephan would be there, nor David, but Fiona would be by his side because Fiona loved adventure and would do anything for one more round as the hero of her day. Somewhere off where it was quiet, outside, maybe--he could see it as his eyes began to close, Leigh would sit with a book and quill, hovering over nothing but air. And as his vision passed, Leigh would smile, or smiled?

Smiles?

Leigh says, “You look like you’ve had too much to drink, Cap’n,” and laughs, and everyone else does, too. Does? Did?

Danny squinted as he fell back against loamy ground, head spinning. A light fire at his feet, a campfire. The others were sitting around having a drink and cracking jokes.

“Let me get him to bed,” said Aten before lifting him up, half with body strength and half with air.

Danny’s head swayed, he grabbed for Aten’s collar.

“Don’t forget to kiss’em goodnight!” Simone called from the fire.

Danny groaned, grabbed his head and turned over in the tent. His head. His head was--

“I’ve never seen my leader so light-weight before,” mused Stephan. He was sipping a light red wine that had been mixed with white. He called it something strange. Rose, with an accent on the ‘e’.

“I’m guessing either the beer was fuggin’ strong or the captain gave him a fuggin’ pounding.” Simone burped and slammed her mug down on her log beside the keg where a refill was already pouring.

“Actually,” Fiona chimed in as Aten emerged from the tent, “he may have had a little help.” She produced a small vial of Dreamy Drops from her cloak with a somber expression. Simone, however, grew more and more furious with each passing sand-sized second. With a whip of beer from the keg, she grabbed her daggers and yelped into an arc where Fiona froze her in air, splashing healing water down her throat and ripping the booze out of her gut.

Leigh emerged from behind Fiona. “Please remain calm,” ve crooned, “we meant and caused no harm with our actions, but a sensible parlay between ideals was in order, and our captain is not in the right frame of mind to oversee such a meeting.”

Aten’s eyes narrowed, suspicious. “Your very last statement. Explain.”

Leigh nodded. “Danny has become ever-increasingly emotional through the past weeks. The loss of his mother, Pilen, Anka, and now his brother. I fear that his judgment may be lackluster at this particular moment.”

Fiona slowly nodded as she lowered Simone to the ground. “Not to mention,” she sighed, “the stone was lost during the assault on the docks.”

“So what?” Simone spat. “We were gonna chuck the thing into a fountain anyway and turn on the lights ourselves. Why can’t we just let Ando do it?”

There was silence. Too much silence, and not enough agreement. Not for Simone.

“Well?!” She turned to Aten. “Sandman, you gotta be shitting me.”

Aten turned his gaze away, but caught his act of cowardice, instead looking Simone straight in the eye. “I believe against our course of action. I fear what may come of either dawn’s light. I fear the tomorrow that awaits me regardless of all but the prayer I speak before I sleep. In this world, Simone, nothing is certain, and Danny...I would follow him anywhere, but to be the hands that wrought the cataclysm of legend? How could I face my gods?”

Fiona cleared her throat. “I agree with Aten.” A wave of water coalesced into a vision before them. “Leigh’s meditation with the stone confirmed what I had half-known before, but the Eden Stone was stolen from an ancient holy place near my village by Danny’s mother, accompanied by Gwendolyn and many Sentinels from the Scholasticate of Celtincrown. None made it out alive save Donna, Gwen, and David. And I believe we all know what became of Donna.” She closed her eyes. “David nearly died to keep that rock out of their hands. What is it that he knew? What destruction will we bring in our wake?”

And then Leigh. “Gwen wants this stone, the three remaining stones. She wishes to break the seal on bending and capitalize on its power, and I cannot let that power fall into her hands. I cannot be held hostage beneath the confines of my own willpower again; and if any of you understood the feeling, you would stand and say the same.”

Simone shook her head. “Pilen understands, right?” A smirk. “She understands your plight pretty fucking well, poor little victim. And still she’s not here committing mutiny.” She spat on Leigh’s boots. “You’re a disgusting excuse for a scholar. Held hostage by your own willpower. If you were half as smart as you claimed, you would’ve found a loophole.”

“I found you.” Leigh demanded.

Simone slowly deflated.

Fiona shook her head. “We think pursuing Andy and the gunman will eventually lead us to Gwendolyn and Pilen. And once we find them--”

Leigh drew vis sword. “We cut that motherfucker down.”

Simone’s eyes went wide. She tried to gather a response, but the sound of a sword drawing behind her stopped her in the moment. Aten met Leigh’s rapier with his cutlass. “We cut that motherfucker down,” he agreed.

Stephan stood, shrugging. “I’m along for this ride because our interests align, so I will agree with you. His greatsword was drawn and poised. “We cut that motherfucker down!”

Fiona held out her hand for Simone’s. “Simone, from this point on, we’re a team, and we must do whatever it takes to stop Andy, the gunman, and Gwendolyn. And that includes--”

Simone turned away, threw up a wall of ice between them. “I’ll cut anybody down,” she said, “anybody in this whole world, but never him.”

Aten retracted his sword and sheathed it. “Your oath was nice while it lasted, but you have overstepped a grave line, Fiona.” He shook his head, backing away towards Danny’s tent. “I will keep your secret and protect it, but I will also ensure that it does not come to fruition.”

Stephan tossed his sword and shook his head. “That could have gone better, my dears.”

“You’re still feverish,” deadpanned Fiona, “go to bed in my tent.”

“Sounds about right, yes.”

As he left, Leigh deflated. “They will come around.”

Fiona shook her head. “I know how stubborn these people can be, Leigh,” with a small tear forming in the corner of her eye. “It’s going to take an absolute miracle to change their minds.”

It was dark, humid. The heavy smell of sea spray hung like a shroud in the air. Danny groaned as he rolled to his side and opened his eyes in slits. HIs hand padded out in front of him as he heard light breaths in the tent with him, and once he found the warmth of a body, he pulled it against him, hesitating only when he reached for the breast where he always left his hand.

"She's in Fi's tent," Aten said, and flipped a half circle to face him. "I know it has to be difficult."

Danny slowly nodded. "What if I told you I'd never been rejected before. And I mean at all, Aten. It's entirely new."

Aten put a hand on Danny's shoulder and closed his eyes. His touch was light and gentle, nearly not there at all. A whisper of physical contact that traced his arm to hold his hand--a safe place. "Your emotions are as close to spirituality I've seen in most of you," he said, "and because of that, those emotions are precious to me."

"Precious," Danny repeated. "That's a treasure word." A light smile with eyes closed. "It's the stuff you don't hark to a vendor once you reach port. You hold onto it. You make it a keepsake."

Those warm, airy fingers held his hand tighter. "You're getting very good at associations. I'm so glad you let me teach you."

In the dark, invisibly, his face flushed red. "No one had ever offered before." He put their tied hands against his chest. "I didn't think anyone ever would."

There was quiet between them--a silence that only the wind can fill. Aten slid against Danny and rested his lips on his chest where he could feel the slow, war drum of a heartbeat that so properly fit him.

"Buddy?" Aten looked up, looking almost guilty for touching him. "What does it feel like to walk on air all the time?"

"Hm." Aten thought on this for a long moment before smiling. "It feels like your entire body breathes for the first time every second you're free." And without particularly meaning to, he'd lifted off the ground, floating still above Danny.

"Weightlessness. Breathing so easily." Danny nodded. "It sounds like a dream." He furrowed his brow. "Not that you aren't already."

"I can show you, you know." A pause. "Always could have."

He quickly nodded. "Show me. I spend too much time weighed down."

To which Aten smirked. "You don't know the half of it." Taking his hand, Aten let out a breath and pulled Danny up to him where the air kept them both weightless, suspended. Free.

The silence between them, born in the air, held on until the moon had dipped down beneath the shadow of the blue mountains of Celtincrown. Not once did their eyes part. It could be assumed--

--or maybe hoped--

that in that hour Danny let his body breathe out the weight he'd carried since Donna's death. And when the first arcing shines of sunlight shot across the pink sky, Danny embraced his first mate, for there was, and never had been, one to save him as Aten had. And he relaxed.

And he closed his eyes.

And there was, at last, rest.
-Shinji Moon

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:43 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

The Broken Seal
The Bandit & His Men

Written by
@Lumi - @Bloo
@Rosendorn - @Nutty
@Omnom - @ReisePiecey
@Caesar - @Blackwood

Executive Producer
Lumi

Showrunner
Bl--

“Darling, you’ve been working at that station for days, and I could smell you from the flower garden, and my you know how those petunias overpower the senses this time of year…” Gwen flushed her gown out beneath her feet and peered over Pilen’s shoulder as the girl meticulously sculpted away at an embroidery for the green gem in her fingers. On the table was an anchor-shaped transmitter that had taken her weeks to construct aboard the ship.

“I will be done so soon, mama, I just want to finish this and be done with it so I can rest. You know how that feels, I know.” She giggled.

Gwen put a loving hand on Pilen’s shoulder. “You’re right, love. Don’t be too long, now. I’ll draw a bath for you and have one of the servants bring up fresh towels for you. They’re simply divine here. I’m certain you’ll love them.”

“I’m certain I will.” Pilen turned the filigreed gem on its side with her pliers, hands steady, and fixated her monocles on the space between the transmission lines, getting the timing exactly right. And when Gwen left the room, she began without ceasing.

Pa-pa-pa-PA. Pa-pa-pa-PA. Pa-pa-pa-PA. Pa-pa-pa-PA. Pa-pa-pa-PA. Pa-pa-pa-PA.

Showrunner
Bloo

Artistic Consultant
Nutty

Geographic Consultant
@Auxiira

Weapons & Combat Consultant
Caesar

Created & Edited by Lumi
-Shinji Moon

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace