z

Young Writers Society

High Fantasy

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:54 am
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Introduction: This is a hardcore fantasy storybook, and I'm looking for the best. I have a dream that this storybook will reach conclusion, and I wish to see this through. This storybook is not for the half hearted or people who are not ready to see this through, and accordingly there are some extra rules you need to obey to enter this storybook. However I believe the experience will be well worth it, when for once we really actually see a storybook through to the end.
Those who have attempted their own SB are particularly invited.
There is a spot for those with less dedication, a helper. You would act as someone's character if they were away for some reason. This would be a temporary post.
The plot, unlike the guidelines, is incredibly lax. Considering the high-fantasy style setting it would not be unforeseeable for the party to go down a dungeon, however the possibilities are endless, and all the reigns for plot are in the players hands. Feel free at every juncture to introduce NPCS, to twist the plot, to develop or change it in any way. Think of this plot like the word game where each player adds a letter to the end of an already existing string of letters. The string of letters must always have the potential to become a word, but no-one wants to complete the word, and so the potential word is forever being changed in the minds of the players. So it shall be with the plot of this storybook. Each new post shall add an element of plot. This element will not define the plot, nor does the player need to understand what the new element means, (the dwarf that just burst through the door wielding a pistol was added for the heck of it, and it only turned out to be a plot point in retrospect,) but the next player can build on the "word", the plot, you have chosen, or change the "word" completely by adding a new "letter".

Sb rules and Posting: Standard YWS rules obviously apply. Details of character allowances are to be found below. Swearing is allowed and I am fine with it in terms of age rating, but if I think your post contains swearing for the heck of it or if the swearing is detracting in any way (for instance if there were swearing to the point of monotony) I withhold the right to insist you change it. Violence is fine by me. Please be tasteful, nothing that will offend, at least without talking to me about it. Finally, all players must read all the posts in the main thread, and must have read all the character information for all of the playing characters. This means character interactions will be made much easier.
Posting rules are paramount. Posts must be over 250 characters. This is very small requirement for a storybook, usually the minimum character count is far higher, but I don't mind if it frees up another player, or if you are in a rush. This means there is NO EXCUSE NOT TO POST.
A greater control of other people's characters is allowed in this storybook. If another character is cued to post in your last post, and they are not, this in NO EXCUSE NOT TO POST. The other's character's decision may be made for them, and their dialogue can be written by another, if the PC is not posting. This doesn't give people the right to kill of other people's characters, or harm them at all. It only increases leeway, meaning THERE IS NO EXCUSE NOT TO POST.
The plot and setting are unrestrictive, imagination can run wild, and possibilities are endless. This means "not knowing what to post" is NOT AN EXCUSE! If anyone is stuck for ideas contact me.
As you can see from the above additional rules, posting is paramount. I request a post every three days from a player. If someone is missing from YWS, (I.e. they are on holiday) inform me in advance and I shall take over the character, or if possible get someone else to.
THE EXCUSES FOR NOT POSTING ARE AS FOLLOWS:
-Sudden tragedy in real life
-Lack of internet/YWS through unforeseeable circumstances
-Reasonable reasons where the player was disadvantaged.
In all of these circumstances the player must inform me, preferably by PM.
If the player does not inform me of absence and does not post for 4 days in a row, (assuming I notice), he will be fined 100 points. If he then does not post in the next three days he will be fined a further 500 points, and from then on 500 points weekly until they post or excuse themselves, or they are thrown out or quit. This is incentive, not punishment. Any points collected so will be made public in the DT, and given as rewards for exceptional posts or for assistance in some way, like being a helper. This is how I intend the SB to work.
Just as a recap:
-People are fined for unreasonable lack of posting.
-Those absent with excuse will be temporarily replaced
-In the unlikely event someone must quit the storybook please try to find someone to replace your character, or take over your character. I will do the same.

Setting: The setting, like the plot, is highly flexible. It is simply high fantasy, very much Tolkien based, with magic and monsters and such. Wizards though are not rare nor do they posses (for the most of them) super human powers. They tire through use of magic, and don't have super instant death spells. Wizard characters: don't go all OP.

Characters: I need a full character card with:
Name:
Species:
Description (include apparel):
Personality:
Skills:
Flaws:
Full background history:
Equipment and possessions:
UFL/Gender:
If there is anything extra or you want to shuffle points that is fine, also pictures are merely optional, description is mandatory. Finally, a 1000 point prize for the entry with the best character+character card when we start. Incentive.
The characters should have unique personality if possible, a bit of comedy is not forbidden, and nothing too OP. Look at existing characters for comparison. (If your first, you are setting the mark.) Remember feel free to make names, places, everything up.

Character 1 (male):
Character 2 (male):
Character 3 (either):
Character 4 (either):
Character 5 (female):
Character 6 (female):
Helper (backup):
Helper (backup):
(please book spots via PM. First come first served. Helpers take over posts in main user's absence. Players could be both character and helper.)

To start: We shall have a chance encounter arranged in the DT. The plan at the moment is you have been summoned by an advert requesting fighting men and offering gold (with few specifics) but ultimately it is up to you.

Any questions? Feel free to ask, I spend 50% of my time on YWS so try and catch me on chat. Shoot me a PM, or check out the DT, but no OOC posts in here please.

Gods and goddesses:

-Istar -God of Creation, Truth and Order, Ruler of the Gods
-Lakadeema -Goddess of Magic, Luck and Superstition, Wife of Istar
-Obad-Hai (From Jorgen's profile) -God of Nature, Health and Medicine

-Roltir -God of Chaos, Darkness and Cruelty, God of the Underworld
-Ariana -Goddess of Death, Pain and Illness, Wife of Roltir
-Guel-Ma-Veer -Goddess of War, Rage and Fear

-Ethenis -God of Wisdom, Knowledge and Caution
-Deela -Goddess of Curses, Beasts and Hunting
-Cruliene -God of Time, Fate and the Sky

-Fazad-Birfl -God of Wealth, Trade and the Earth, Patron god of the Dwarves
Last edited by TakeThatYouFiend on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Dominic

The snowstorm that had been battering the northernmost Human kingdom, the Kingdom of Poranne (Also the capital's name), finally subsided as Dominic woke from his slumber. He had taken refuge under an overhanging cliff, his horse, Shadow, not bening able to travel any further throw the knee-deep snow.
The small fire Dominic had kindled the night before was reduced to mere embers, but after waving a spell gesture over it, it was burning like any ordinary fire would. He heated a small pot of water into which he added some herbs and juniper berries to make tea.
After having drank his tea, ate a light breakfast of flatbreads and berries, and watering Shadow, he prepared to depart from his refuge. He was on his way to the Ruins of Gzomriflt, an ancient Dwarvish city said to contain unimaginable knowledge and arcane wisdom beyond belief.
He was just about to mount Shadow when he heard movement in the bushes behind him. Instantaneously he had his bow in his hand and an arrow knocked in the bowstring. He cautiously made his way into the undergrowth, trying to remain as silent as possible.
He followed the sound of movement until he reached a clearing in the woods. There, in the centre, was a creature being attacked by a band of Goblins. The creature was rather small, maybe as large as a medium sized dog, but its build was like that of a feline.
Dominic, in a moment of sympathy for the helpless creature, decided to help this creature (a decision he would come to regret for long after).
He shot the closest Goblin unaware in its back, making it shriek in pain before died in the snow. Two more fell before the rest could properly respond. Three of the remaining seven ran to the shelter of nearby trees, most likely the archers of this bunch. Three others started charging the location where Dominic was crouching, and the last, clearly the leader of this bandit party, stood guard over the feline creature.
Dominic threw down his bow and jumped up, staff in hand. The first Goblin to fall, was blasted away by the spell Yon martek. The second and third©, who were running closer together, were incinerated by the ball of fire which Dominic hurled out of his staff.
After the first three fell, the three "archers" fled into the forest, their shrieks echoing through the woods.
Dominic walked up to the leader, who still stubbornly holding his ground. He probably presumed that Dominic wouldn't cast a spell so close to the creature which lay helpless on the snow. But he was wrong.
Before the Goblin could blink, Dominic used the Pestilanza spell and turned the leader into a scurrying little mouse. He would let the mouse be, but the feline creature snatched it up and (oddly enough) put it into a jar. It collected up various papers and books that were strewn across the snow. It was wearing a woollen coat and trousers, a linen shirt, leather travelling boots, and (and this shocked Dominic the most) a pair of spectacles. After collecting all its posessions, it walked over to Dominic a bowed low. Its full length was up till Dominic's hip, and looked very amusing to him.
"Sarris Rumbollon Fringlepuff, archiver and collector of Magical items for the House of Trumpleton, at your service," the feline creature said in a educated, yet high-pitched voice, "May I ask who saved my life?"
"Dominic the Silver," Dominic replied cautiously, "You're a talking cat?"
"Well, yes and no," Sarris said, " You see, I am techinally a feline species, but I am what you might call a Ollemcrat, which is like you can clearly deduce, unless I misjudged your intellect, a smarter and more civilised feline species."
"And where do you come from?"
"Oh, us Ollemcrats have communities all across Inmarsia (a province in the West), but largest of these, and the one I hail from, is called Ollem Town, or in my tongue, Mikol'a Ollemez"
"But aren't you very far from Inmarsia?" Dominic asked, still very suspicious of this strange character.
"Five weeks, as the Human rides, but I'm not a Man or Elf, thus it took me a total of seventeen weeks, yes. You see, I am on my way to the Ruins of Gzomriflt to find a lost item, called the Quill of the Dwarves, said to be extremely powerful."
"Well you're in luck Sarris Fringlepuff, because I am also heading there." Dominic cursed himself for saying this, but it was too late to step out of this now.
"Excellent! We can travel together!"
Before Dominic could intervene, Sarris started making his way in the direction from which Dominic orginally entered the clearing.
This was the start of a very, VERY long adventure.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

433 Reviews

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:05 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

"Just bloody put me down!"
It didn't work. In fact, nothing the small moomintroll shouted, from "If you don't stop this at once, I shall call my lawer!" to "I'm warning you, I'm a very very magical wizard and if you're not careful I'll have you turned into a gelatinous sphere!" seemed to have the slightest bit of effect on the the two mountain-trolls who were in the middle of using him as a football.
In all fairness it was his fault really. I mean, sure, he didn't have all his wits about him when he accepted the dare to climb the mountain range, but he should never have had those twelve measures of vodka in the first place. And he only had himself to blame for smoking all that medicinal marijuana.
The thing is about Mountain Trolls is that the live rather high up. Hence their name. Generally they live on mountains, or often in their dormant state as part of the mountain, mainly in snowy areas. That is why it probably wasn't one of the best ideas to go mountain climbing at midnight without adequate supplys after drinking twelve measures of vodka through a straw, as any Poranneian could tell you. Well, I say any Poranneian. All, save one low-life barber surgeon perhaps, who either had a death wish or was very stupid. Probably the latter.
Another interesting fact about Mountain Trolls is they bore easily. And, as soon as the got bored of football, they kicked the ball away.
Now we take a closer look at the Moomin. He is short, fat, clinging onto his hat for dear life, and is currently traveling at approximately terminal velocity. He is facing upwards, and thus doesn't see his target destination. He quite naturally assumes it is snow, which soft or not will not be adequate to cushion his fall, and besides he is far too busy thinking about other things, like watching his life flash before his eyes and wishing he could have picked up those 20 sun dried lizards his bartender owed him. He therefore failed to notice the company of two passing directly below his crash zone, and failed to notice that one was berobed and wizardly and riding a horse, while the other was shorter and rather looked like a cat in walking shoes.
They however, didn't fail to notice the moomin hurling towards them out the sky, and screaming.
Just as the moomin felt it was goodbye world, something hit him, quite hard, in the back, and he blacked out.

"And what are we to do with him?"
"I suppose we couldn't just, well... leave hime here could we?"
"Of couse not! He would freeze to death!"
Kevin slowly opened his eyes. First thing first, he did a quick medical check on himself. X2 arms, X2 legs, X1 head, X1 tail. Yup, everything seemed to be in order. Now he could take a look at his surroundings. He was lying on a blanket in the snow, and a fire was burning a couple of yards to his left. On his right was a pile of rucksacks, one large, one small, and one his own, obviously removed from his back during his unconsciousness. The two figures who were arguing about him stood by the campfire, backs turned to him. Kevin considered backstabbing them while he had the chance, but decided against it. The one on the right looked decidedly wizardly. Besides, he hadn't the faintest idea where he was.
"Hey, you two, do I get any say in my fate?"
The wizard turned around. His face was old, not particularly from wrinkles or anything similar, but from the way he looked at you with world weary eyes that seemed to tell you that he had found the answer to life the universe and everything and when he had it wasn't worth the bother.
"No. Not really. But now your awake we can get going again."
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:32 pm
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

Annette Morris

The sky was dark out but yet I was really thirsty and yearned for the luscious red against my pale lips. Yes, being a vampire wasn't the greatest, but I sure did love to run super fast and even climb the trees in a blink of an eye. Ever since I could remember, I had been this "thing" people were scared of and called a beast of some sorts. I still snort a laugh when people look at me like I am some evil witch. I'd hardly call myself a "creature" of the night anyways.

Oh, and lets not forget the details of these petty humans thinking we can't go into the sun or that we are severely afraid of stakes, crosses, and of course garlic. However, milk is the most horrid of them all. Now you haven't tasted (excuse the language) shit until you try that.

As I walked out into the darkness, I had to think of where would be a good spot to start my hunt, my preference would be Deer of them all. They are cute too but so damn amazing to drink their blood.

Running, I was looking all over the place and just watching my surroundings, then, I smelled blood, not the blood I drink, but.... Human blood. My senses went crazy and I searched until I finally knew where it was coming from. There was a little petty human girl asleep in the wilderness with her leg cut open.

I touched her, she awoken and began to scream. "What?" I say and stand up straight. She stopped screaming instantly. "Wow, you are so beautiful." the girl had said to me. I traced my lips with my tongue and just smiled. "Why thank you, you don't look to bad yourself." I say then vanish into the trees, I perched on top of the nearest tree just waiting for the one little animal the just "crosses" my path.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:38 am
r4p17 says...

~Renalf~

Renalf crouched down under the bush to avoid being seen by the spiders. He had been walking through the forest when all of a sudden he found his way blocked by a netting. He drew his sword, Darowë and hacked through it. A minute later however, he found himself in the midst of one of the black spiders' colonies! He made himself invisible, but the spiders, who have stronger senses than most animals, caught his scent. A few chased after him. He was forced to run for his life. The rest of the spiders heard him and joined the chase.

Spiders, black ones that is are rather nasty. In some cases they are worse than vampires, though they generally preyed on birds and other small animals, not humans. But if one comes there way they might just attack it. This is a rather rare occurrence, though.

Now, as I was saying, Renalf crouched under the bush. He thought quickly as to what he would do. He had his sword in hand, but he doubted whether he could use it to ward off the dozen or so spiders chasing after him. On the other hand, how could his magic help? He didn't see any water around here, and spiders act by instinct, not by thinking things out like I plan, so he could not use his mind control of them.

As he was sitting there a thought struck him. Of course I could make all the blood go to their heart causing it to clot. It wouldn't be so hard after all. Blood is included with water as a liquid. The only thing he had to be carful of was not to use so much magic that it would tire him out.

He tried the spell saying, "Quellar, irch dusineth!" In a matter of seconds the effects of the spell were clearly visible. The spiders were jumped around squeaking in rage.

Renalf jumped up and ran. "Well, now I have got out of that tight spot I shall probably get robbed by bandits, or attacked by trolls at my campfire tonight. I shouldn't be much surprised at it! And it all started with the summons from that drafted Lord YellowFeather! He'll probably want me to go clear out a forest of rogues or maybe even expel a band of goblins from a small village! I have already face off against a pack of wolves who were chasing me out of their territory, not to mention the spiders I had just dwelt with! Most likely I will have to duel a witch or some dragon too on the way back! It isn't that far fetched with all the trouble I have run into so far."

Renalf was simply the pessimistic type of person. In reality he had almost no trouble with the wolves. They had simply snarled at him and escorted them out of their land. As for the spiders, he got off a good deal easier than most other people would. To him though, everything in the world seemed to be going wrong. He fully expected to be attacked by a mountain troll at that moment even though it was bright daylight and he had just entered a vast plain. The plain was a hundred miles from any mountains!

Just then he came up to a small rise and beheld the land before him. It was almost as flat as a mattress, though one with humps here and there. Little cottages and out building dotted the countryside along with many shrubs and an occasional tree.

As he survey the land before him a cloud of dust caught his attention. It was rather large. Much too large to be a lone horseman or wagon. A gust of wind tore into the side, temporarily ripping a gap for him to see through. What he saw made him gasp. He stomped the ground with his staff and uttered an oath under his breath.

"I swear by the king of the elves, that trouble follows my every move!" He exclaimed. "I should have known that there would be a pack of raiders from the south that would intercept me!"

With a humph he started walking toward the town, resigned to face whatever trouble he was doomed to encounter. As he went he muttered to himself under his breath. He couldn't, for the life of him, remember what spell it was he could use that would be useful in defeating those accursed raiders!
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

62 Reviews

Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:20 pm
View Likes

Dominic

"Don't. Move."
The sun had just started to set as Dominic, Sarris, and Kevin, the newest member of this "merry" band were standing around Shadow. Dominic had his bow at the ready, and Sarris had recovered his wand (which he dn't use against the Goblins, for some unknown reason) Dominic had given his dagger to Kevin as a weapon. They were as quiet as possible, because they were being hunted. By what? None other than a forest dragonet, of course.
"Keep your eyes open," Dominic said, his own gaze penetrating the encrouching darkness that was starting to fill the forest. Forest dragonets are usually extremely agile and fast,but Dominic hoped to catch even the slightest image of what he was up against.
They stood in silence for several minutes before Sarris whispered to Dominic.
"I think I just caught a glimpse of the dragonet," he said, pointing into the forest. Night had officially fallen over the forest, but Dominic's eyes were accustomed to the darkness. There, easily mistakable for a strange log, was the dragonet. Its scales were different shades of brown and green, and it seemed more or less 5 yards long, and it had no wings (at least fit for flying, that is). It had a slender head, with a long snout and two unnaturally green eyes.
Dominic took aim at the dragon, being careful not to attract its attention. It seemed to be staring fixedly at Kevin, the moomin. Dominic took a last breath, but by some unlucky fate a squirrel scurried behind him and made the dragonet's head snap towards him.
The dragonet produced a low grumbling sound, sounding like a dog warning a trepasser to stay away. But it was stalking its way closer to Dominic. Their eyes were fixed with each other, and ni matter how much the Wizard tried, he couldn't break that unnatural stare. It took him to realize that he was spellbound by the dragonet, and that his body was reluctant to move.
By the gods of Magic! I'm trapped and about to be eaten
Then the dragonet struck. He coiled his body up like a spring, then, faster than a blink, he pounced.
But the strike never came.

"Dominic? Dominic?"
Dominic regained his consciousness with the moon already going on her downward course. Kevin and Sarris were both kneeling over him, concern evident on both their faces.
"You're awake," Sarris said, "I doubted that you ever would."
"Wh-what happened?" Dominic asked sleepily.
"Oh, um, I used a spell to stun and knock the dragonet unconscious," Sarris said, "but my magic skill isn't what it always was."
"What does that have to do with mý unconsciousness?"
"Well, I might or might not have blasted you in the process. And I didn't Áctually know the reversal spell."
"Where's the dragonet?" Dominic asked now that had fully regained his wits.
"Still unconscious over there," Kevin said, pointing to where a moment before Dominic saw his life flash before his eyes, "But, it's gone!"
"What?!" both Sarris and Dominic exclaimed.
"It was there a moment ago, I swear!"
"It must've regained consciousness as well and fled into the woods," Sarris said, fear evident in his entire demeanour.
"That won't be the last we see him," Dominic said, "I think we just made a dangerous enemy."
And so the tale continues...
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

433 Reviews

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

"So who are you guys anyway? And where are we headed? And why is we headed there?"
The wizard was concentrating deeply, his mind set on the problem of evading the dragonet. And the moomin, pulling on his leg and jumping up and down asking questions, was not a thinking aid.
"And exactly where are we anyways?"
Sarris turned to Kevin wearily. "Considering we may or may not be being pursued by a dragonet, now is not a good time to make as much noise as you are currently making."
Kevin shut up sharply. Though it's not any of his business, he thought to himself sourly. And he did have a right to have his questions answered. Who was this Pringle-Fluff guy anyway.
One thing he did know, he was walking away from where he'd come from. And, more importantly, walking away from his debts, hopefully walking a very long way away. And with any luck he'd get on well with these two, and get on well with their food supplies... Anyways, he might come in useful. His doctoring skills, his natural moomin charm, his contacts...
Dominic paused. And listened.
"There's something in the trees," he fervently whispered.
They were passing through a smaller clump of trees, (which sort Kevin could not tell, botany not being his forte,) and a tiny scuttling noise could be heard in the tree directly overhead.
"Dragonets don't climb." Sarris said helpfully.
"Oh great," whined Kevin, "now we've got another ravenous man-eating monster to contend with."
"Anyway," said Dominic, "it can't be the Dragonet."
"Yes," said Kevin, "we've just established that."
"No, you misunderstand me. It can't be the dragonet, because the dragonet is over there." At this he raised a long arm slowly, to point and what Kevin until then had thought was a log.
"Oh shit." was all Kevin had to remark on the situation.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:40 pm
View Likes
methrirr123 says...

Jorgen Holdt

Jorgen had only had one ale that night, but it was an ale he shouldn't have purchased. He was recovering from a slight illness as it was, and his head was still throbbing. He held the wooden mug in his fist, staring into it groggily, before taking a large swig of the amber liquid therein. It sent a warmth down his sore and scratchy throat and into his stomach, like a hearth had been lit in his body. He sighed. The dwarves know what they're doing. he thought fondly.

Almost in response to this thought, something hard was slammed into the bar next to him with a large Clack! sound, followed by a hearty burp. "Are ye not going t'finish yer ale?" said the gruff voice of the dwarf that sat next to him.

"Not in one mouthful, Kollek." Jorgen said. "I've still got that headache." Kollek gave him a look, and Jorgen rolled his eyes. Jorgen downed the mug in one swig. His head protested, but the fire in his stomach roared merrily.

"Had me worried there, ye did. Thought you'd not be able to finish." Kollek smiled. Kollek, for a dwarf, was average height, coming up to a mans waist. He wore his hair, however, in a great crest that rose an extra foot and a half. His hair was dark, and his beard plaited with silver. His monstrous arms were lined with bands of silver and gold, and on his back he carried a massive greataxe that Jorgen would have struggled to wield with both hands.

"When have I not been able to drink?" Jorgen said indignantly. Kollek smiled again. Neither moving before the other, they simultaneously called for another ale. They drank merrily, the music of the bard on the dais swimming around them as they did. Jorgen forgot his headache, as he downed the third or fourth ale. He was laughing At Kollek, who had ale dribbling down his beard. Kollek roared delightedly as he put down the mug. Suddenly, he spoke. "We've been out too long, Jorgen."

"Out?" Jorgen said, still laughing.

"We've killed naught since we've been in this wee town. Been ages..."

"It's been three days." Jorgen laughed, calling for another ale. The barkeep seemed reluctant, but didn't seem to want to offend these two very capable looking fighter types. "Besides, I've had that headache."

"Sucks t'yer bloody headache!" Kollek said exasperatedly. "I'm bored, mate!"

"Alright, we'll do something tomorrow." Jorgen said. "After we've rested."

"Let's go t'night! Let's go now!" Kollek insisted, starting to slide off of his stool, but stopping as the barkeep put another ale in front of him--Kollek's fifth.

"Where will we go? The snow is deep, and I don't know if Gurdy..."

"Gurdy's tough." Gurdy was Kollek's pony. She was black with a mane streaked with grey like an old lady, but she was relatively young. "And there's no need to worry about Brutus."

Jorgen nodded at that, downing half his ale. Brutus was Jorgens bull, inherited from his father. That bull must have been blessed by Obad Hai, because it was tougher than any two other bulls, stronger than an ox, and smart as a hound.

"Well, fine." Jorgen said. "We'll go after this drink. What's next in your family's book of grudges?"

Kollek opened his large satchel and withdrew from it a thick red book, bound and clasped with iron, covered with dwarven runes. His face always seemed to fall slightly when he opened it. it opened to the first page, and a look of ambition came upon him. "Let's go to Khazad Grom." Kollek said finally.

"Gzomriflt?" Jorgen said. Jorgen knew some of Kollek's history, that his family had come from there. "Do you mean to avenge it? The army that besieged it will have long cleared out."

"We'll avenge it eventually, but we're gonna recover Torag Ga'iil" Kollek said. His expression told him that he meant for Jorgen to translate.

"I don't know... The feather of Torag?" Jorgen said.

"Close," Kollek grinned. "The Quill of Torag. You may know it as the quill of the dwarves. 'Tis said that Torag Dwarf-Father wrote th'first runes of power with that quill. It can carve stone, burn wood, trace ink... 'Tis also said that if a name is written with Torag Ga'iil, that whoever th'name belongs to will live forever until the name is erased."

Jorgen was listening intently now. "And you want to leave now?"

"Yes." Kollek smiled.

Jorgen sighed. "Where are we bringing it after we find it?"

"To th'capitol city of my people's civilization. It will have t'be guarded heavily."

"What's guarding it now?"

"A door made by th'dwarves, protected by ancient runes that a team of th'best bloody wizards on this plane of existence would be hard pressed to break." Kollek beamed.

"How are we gonna get in?"

"We have this." Kollek held up the book. "It came from Khazad Grom. It'll act as our key."

Jorgen thought for a moment, then smiled, again neither moved before the other as they clasped hands. "Let's do it." Jorgen said, his head no longer seeming like a realistic problem.

"Aye, that's it." Kollek beamed up at Jorgen.

And they got off of their stools and left through the door out into the night, not intending to return until this adventure was completed.
Last edited by methrirr123 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

46 Reviews

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:44 pm
NicoleBri says...

Annette Morris

After my tasty dinner I decided that it was time to go and party. I loved to party with humans because of how, well, for lack of a better word "crazy" they get. I smiled as I reached the door of the pub, it didn't seem as though many people came to this place but I thought it might be a great place to start.

I sat at a bar stool. "Give me the strongest whiskey you got." I told the bartender. He sighed and got to doing what I asked. Right before I turned around someone had already gotten up and was behind me. "Hello Ms. Would you like to play some pool?" the guy asked. I let out a chuckle and happily accepted.

the rest of the night was a blur.

- Ayn Rand

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 am
View Likes
r4p17 says...

~Renalf~

"Elcontorotheth!" Renalf shouted. Instantly a stream of water shot out from his staffs the effort.

He sprayed the raiders for four or five seconds before ceasing he felt tired all of a sudden. The raiders however, were mostly swept off of their horses.

"Help me over to that bench, Roco," Renalf asked a black soldier with a loosely flowing robe and chain mail coat on. Roco complied, virtually carrying him across the street.

The raiders, seeing that the wizard was out of the battle, surged forward on foot and reclaimed their horses. Renalf sat there for a minute half dazed as the raiders surged through the town. Roco stood by his side warding off any attackers.

After five minutes Renalf recovered, at least he had recovered enough to stand up and walk around. He drew his sword, Darowë, and walked over to join Roco. Roco was too busy to notice. When he did he was too tired to worry about Renalf's health.

"I noticed two men go over into the Murphy house I think you had better go over and help Mr. Murphy fend them fiends off! I'll go back and join the rest of my squad at the tavern. On my way there I will send the blacksmith over to help you... And make sure you don't use any more magic spells." He muttered the last sentence under his breath.

Renalf let out a harmumph and stalked off toward the Murphy house. On his way he considered whether he should cast his staff away, but decided against it. He would feel as if he lost an arm if he left it behind. Within a minute he walked from where he was sitting on the bench to the front porch of the Murphy house. Upon arrival, Mr. Murphy was pinned to the wall with a dagger at his throat. His eyes were white and his face was pale. The second raider was ransacking the house without regard to the screams of the Murphy children and their mother.

Renalf raised a finger to his mouth to make sure Mr. Murphy didn't react to his entry and alert the first raider. Renalf quietly strode across the room, sword in hand. Just as he was right behind the raider a floorboard creaked the man spun his head around. For a moment the two stared at each other, eye to eye. Neither of them blinked.

All of a sudden Mr. Murphy swung with his fist and knocked the raider flat on his back.

"That was subtle," Renalf stated, a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

A second later Mrs. Murphy cried, "Look out!" Renalf spun and brought up his staff just in time to block the axe blow from the raider. If it were any other ordinary staff it wood have snapped, but this was a wizard's staff. A thousand droplets of water and shock waves blasted out and swept the raider through the air, crashing right into the wall.

"Well, now I've taken care of that, I had better head over to the tavern and see how the rest of the raiders are faring.

Renalf walked out the back door and walked up the street as if nothing had happened. He was also a stoic, along with being a pessimist.

"Stand back, foolish wizard!" A man cried out. Renalf inclined his head and looked in distain. Oqrol!

"So, you're the one behind this, eh?" Renalf asked, curling his upper lip. "Zaddushar, the Island Kingdom of the Trollcrags wasn't enough for you to rule? Or did even the trolls find you too... uncouth for their tastes?"

"Ha!" Oqrol exclaimed. "Those trolls were only pitiful tools. Men, on the other hand, are much more controllable and shall we say... reliable? I've moved on from them long ago. I see you haven't changed much though. Are you really still wandering this earthen lands. I thought you would have found how to transport yourself to Gronhelmut by now. But no! You are still that old, crowing sorcerer, always willing to mess up an honest criminals plan! One day I will find a way to circumvent your channels of disruption and start a good, honest practice. For once I though that I could establish a decent headquarters... until you came to tear it apart!"

"Listen! I never came here to disrupt you I was on my way to help some lord. I only just so happened to run into you in the process. Now clear out of this town and I will be gone. We will settle our differences another day."

"Nay! You shall stay here with me. I may have a good purpose for you. Who knows? Maybe I'll even grant you the privilege of serving me..." Renalf scoffed.

"Clear out of my way. I will get past you one way or other, even if I have to run you though."

"What? Run me through? Are you not aware that I have the power to destroy you with fire. All I have to do is say the words. Then all my work will be done."

Not if I have any say in it!" A voice said. Renalf and Oqrol turned to see a man with long silver hair and a clean shaven face standing before them. Behind him stood a troll and an animal that stood in the shadow of the man, obscure from Renalf's view. The man shifted and raised his staff, simultaneously throwing back the cowl of his cloak. Or was he a man?
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

62 Reviews

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:13 pm
View Likes

Dominic

This warning I give to you, Elf: You may have bested me once, but there will come a day when we shall meet again, and then there will be a different outcome
Dominic, Kevin and Sarris stood staring wide-eyed at the place where a moment ago the Dragonet had been.
"D-did you just hear what I heard?" Sarris asked after several minutes.
"Yes, yes I did," Kevin said.
Dominic, his mind still processing what just happened, silently continued walking down the ever widening path. They traveled for half a day, Kevin and Sarris taking turns to ride on Shadow, only stopping on to fill their waterflasks by a small road side stream. The road steadily grew larger as they continued up the slope.
When they reacheda intersection of roads, did Dominic finally speak.
"I think we should find a inn to sleep in tonight," he said, looking up and down the intersecting road.
"And where might we encounter such lodgings?" Sarris asked from Shadow's back.
"There's a inn about one hour that way," Kevin suddenly said, pointing down the intersecting road.
Dominic looked at the moomintroll with a hint of irritation and humor in his eye. "And how would YOU know that, if I may ask?" he said.
"I"ve been there several times, I'll have you know, and the people at The Drunken Dwarf know how to treat their customers," Kevin said.
"Then we'll head for the Drunken Dwarf before we continue on our course to Gzomriflt."
With Kevin leading the party, they arrived the Drunken Dwarf as the first stars started to appear. There was a bustle of noise and raucous laughter inside, with nearly all the tables crowded with drunkards. The only avaliable seats were beside a extremely drunk and bulkt dwarf with a red hair and beard.
"Greetings!" Kevin said, calling one of the barmaids over, "can we please get a road of your finest ale."
"Red wine for me please," Sarris said.
"A loaf of blackbread, a wedge of cheese and some lamb too," Dominic said, summarizing the two people who shared their table.
"Please to meet you! I'm Kevin," the named said as their ale arrived.
"Huh?" the dwarf mumbled, "Oh, my name ish Pitorrik."
Sarris greeted Pitorrik, but Dominic eyed him suspiciously. He looked like trouble.
They ate the bread, cheese and lamb, mostly listening to Kevin's tale of how he flew through the sky and almost crushed th on that first.
"And you see," he said after about an hour of non-stop storytelling (it was actually an intersting story), "That is how I almost crushed you. But the tale is going to on when we leave for Gzomriflt tomorrow."
"Hey," Pittorik said drunkedly, "There was two fellows here earlier who're alsho going there. They were after the fabled Quill of Torag."
"What a coincidence," Sarris said before Dominic could silence him, "we're also looking dmfor the Quill."
Pittorik, suddenly very much awake and just as sober, rose slowly fro
his seat. "And what might three thieves like you want the Quill for?"
Dominic had luckily forseen that something like this was going to happen, and he used the Maratis Noctunnos, or sleeping spell in the common tongue, on Pittorik. The dwarf lazily dropped back into his chair, snoring like only a Dwarf could snore.
"Why did you tell where we're going and why we're going there, when you hardly know him?!" Dominic said in a serious tone.
Before Sarris could reply, a screacm rose from the other side of the tavern. It was one word, but it was enough to make everyone, even Kevin, turn around. Vampire...
Last edited by ThePatchworkPilgrims on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

433 Reviews

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:17 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Kevin was being rather pleased about how useful his knowledge of local pubs (which was extensive) was, walking down the long road to The Drunken Dwarf.
"You see," Kevin started saying," if we continue going east tomorrow, by mid-day, we should reach the northenmost tip of the planes. That would be a lot easier going on us and the pony, and there is far less chance of running into..." Kevin shuddered, "trolls."
Sarris looked at Kevin quizzically. "I thought you were a type of troll?"
"I am, but you try telling that to a mountain troll. Chances are, sharing a genetic ancestor isn't going to make us any less tasty to one of my bigger cousins."
Once at the pub, they sat down and ordered. The locals seem friendly, thought Kevin, as he sat down with his ale, chatting with someone who could be the pub's namesake.
All pleasantry ceased as a cry rung through the bar.
"Vampire!"
A girl was backed against a wall, looking terrified. The occupants of the bar were crowded round, and one woman, about fifty and with wild frizzy hair, pointed accusingly at the girl.
"She's a vampire, I saw her teeth! Burn her!" At this the woman pulled out a silver cross and started waving it menacingly at the girl, who, despite her fear, looked slightly amused.
"We can't let her be caught!" mumbled Kevin to Sarris, and he pushed his way to the centre of the crowd.
"I'm a qualified Barber Surgeon," yelled Kevin, waving his Barber Surgeons' Gild Card as he did so, "And I say this woman is no vampire!"
All eyes were on him now, including Dominic's, who looked at him with mild puzzlement and bemusement. Kevin gulped.
"See," he said, plucking the cross from the wild haired woman and handing it to the girl, "she fears not the silver cross! I tell you this girl has a rare type of tooth decay known as pontartaphitieitis, which wears down the outside of the tooth, leaving it sharp."
Kevin was talking bullshit, and he could see the girl knew it. But the crowd was buying it. One by one they mumbled and walked back to their seats. Kevin guessed the accuser, the wild haired granny, must have a reputation for false alarms, or they wouldn't have bought it so easily.
"Now," said Kevin to the accused, once the crowd had died away, "may I invite you back to our table, where I'll buy you a drink?"

46 Reviews

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:12 am
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

Annette Morris

I immediately sobered up as soon as i heard the word "vampire" come from fellow pub peoples mouth. It was an older lady who made the accusation and i had been surrounded by everyone. I had to admit, it was a little scary at first, and then i guess you could say my "hero" appeared. He was definitely bullshitting everyone and they actually believed him.

He took a cross from the lady and handed it to me. I kind of snickered under my breath, i held the cross and everyone kept their eyes on myself and this stranger. I eyed him suspiciously but everyone finally began to believe that i wasn't the vampire the lady acclaimed me to be.

i sighed with relief and my "hero" offered to buy me a drink. I smiled. "Why most definitely so." I say. I needed a drink after what had happened.

Once we got to the guys table with him and another male, i was officially relieved. The other eyed me suspiciously and mumbled to my hero. I smiled awkwardly. "I'd like a tonic." i tell him. He smiled at whatever the other guy had to say.

After he ordered their drinks we sat there. "Thank you for being well, my "hero"" i tell him.

"My name is Kevin." the guy who saved me had said. I touched his hand for a moment and he could feel how cold my hand was. "i am what i was accused of..." i tell them softly. My smile never disappeared. "I'm Dominic." the other guy had said.

"My name is Annette." i say.

Swiftly I get up to go outside, a few moments later, Kevin joined me. I sort of smiled. His blood smelled really warm and delicious.

"Is there something you wanted?" I asked as I circled him, smiling.

- Ayn Rand

62 Reviews

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:04 pm
View Likes

Dominic

The following morning Dominic, Sarris, Kevin and the newset member of their party, the vampire Anette Morris, set off towards Gzomriflt. It was still more or less two weeks away, thus they had enough time to catch up to the other two fellows who, according to Pitorrik, were also heading for the ruins.
"Thank you so much for accepting me to this party," Anette said, walking in the sun with the rest of them.
"Just don't try anything," Sarris said, him still being sceptical about the vampire.
"Don't worry, I mostly drink animal blood."
They all continued onward for the rest of the day, constantly heading uphill and to the west, towards the Great Plains of Tommar, named after the greatest Elfking Tommar the Elder.
They stopped beside road for lunch, during which Anette mysteriously disappeared and returned an hour later, satisfaction evident on her face.
They encountered various people on the road, most on the three day long journey to the capital Poranne. The most of them said that they hadn't seen a party of two travelling down this road, but they did however receive some of the latest rumours. A band of raiders who had targeted villages in the Plains was vanquished by another wizard (much to Dominic's irritation), and Goblins have reputedly settled in the north of the Plains, close to the ancient Dwarvish ruins of Gzomriflt.
"That can't be good," Kevin said as they walked away from another group of travellers.
"It definitely isn't a good sign, I agree," Sarris said, yawning, "When are we setting up camp?"
Just then, as Dominic was about to answer, the forest fell away to reveal a large, expansive grassland.
Dominic smiled. "Welcome to the Great Plains of Tommar."
And there, unseen to the party, a dwarf and a man were camping under a tree a half a mile away...
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:26 pm
View Likes
methrirr123 says...

Jorgen Holdt

It was late in the day, and dusk was nearing. Jorgen had wanted to set up camp in the cover of the trees, but Kollek had insisted they continue. Now they were out in the open, the sun beginning to dip over the horizon as they leaned against a very large oak tree that would surely stand out against the plains, eating their cold rations in anticipation of a night without a fire. Brutus's tack was against the tree next to Jorgen, while the great brown bull called Brutus was either sleeping or grazing not far off. Gurdy the pony was tethered to the tree.

"I don't understand why we have t'freeze..." Kollek murmured through a mouthful of dried meat.

"We don't want to be seen by anyone nasty." Jorgen explained. "Did you here the trader? He spoke of Goblins settling farther north. Goblins need to hunt and gather, and they do so at night." Jorgen grumbled as he looked up into the tree. He could climb it no problem, but getting Kollek into a tree would be difficult. "And even without the fire, this tree sticks out like a wasp sting."

"What'sa matter with a bitta greenskins?" Kollek said. "Goblins is nothing. It's Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Bugbears you wanna watch out for, and even them is no problem for us." Kollek beamed proudly. "Remember that Hobgoblin regiment we ran into in the tomb of my great great grandfathers tomb?"

Jorgen remembered it fondly. "You were riding with me on Brutus," Jorgen recalled the tale. "And just before I could run by him and cut him down, you jumped off and landed so heavily on his chest that you crushed him flat." Kollek laughed merrily as he recalled the tale.

"And then you were so mad at me tha' ye got off of Brutus yerself, and laid low a dozen or more of 'is soldiers with your sword and axe!" Kollek was laughing loudly now. "You threw a right tantrum!"

"Stay the hell clear of my tantrums, Kollek." Jorgen feigned seriousness, bet then he laughed to.

Kollek roared, gesturing wildly with his hands. "And then..."

"The ettin!" Jorgen exclaimed. "That was at the tomb? For some reason I remember it in the mines under that tower..."

"Tha' was just a nasty two headed troll. Not t'be confused with ettins. Ettins are smarter."

"Not this one." Jorgen said. "I remember that thing came so close to my head with the mace it was wielding..."

"Aye, you could hear the metal screamin' at ye." Kollek. "But not like th'ettin."

"That ettin... funniest damn thing. Every time you hit it, do you remember?" Jorgen was gripping his sides.

"It'd look right at ye, square in the eye, and yell 'PISS' loud as it bloody could! Both heads!" Kollek did the best impression, and even he couldn't help but roar with laughter.

By this time dusk had fallen, and it was beginning to get dark. After the laughter died down, there was no other noise but the far off sound of crickets. They sat for a while, and the silence persisted.

"It's to quiet..." Kollek voiced the concern that Jorgen had shared.

"Kollek, don't laugh." Jorgen said. Kollek nodded. Jorgen turned to the darkness and yelled profanity into the bushes. "PISS! ASS! SOGGY THIGHS!" This was a tried and true method that Kollek and Jorgen had implemented to catch petty padfoots that were trying to rob them in the night. Few expected it.

And neither did tonights marauder, for someone laughed. Immediately Jorgen drew his sword, and Kollek stood with his axe.

"Hope it's goblins." Kollek grinned. "Or maybe elves."

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

But even the worst decisions we make don't necessarily remove us from the circle of humanity.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore