Young Writers Society

To The Medal-Less

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:39 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Hey guys, I wrote this four years minus one day during the 2014 Winter Olympics.

I thought I would re-share because it's still just applicable now.

Hi everyone,

With the Olympics drawing to a close, there's inevitably going to be a lot of disappointment if you didn't place in any of the events even though you entered all of them, or even if you just entered a couple, so I thought it would be good to remind everyone of what things like these are all about.

Everyone is talented, so its impossible to recognize everyone. It seems like a cliche, but as someone who's spent my entire life pursuing the creative arts, and also judging my fair number of contests I can say with surefire confidence that it is a very true thing. A lot of goes into who wins and who doesn't is really beyond your control. The best you can do is work hard, and eventually you'll be rewarded.

In my own experience, for every good thing that happened to me creatively there have been about ten bad things. And even when something good does happen to you, the bad doesn't ever go away. That's the life you live if you want to pursue any creative arts, especially writing.

Each and every one of you is amazing and deserves so much, I promise. If you entered every event, and even if you didn't, that's worth something. Because you can only become a better writer if you keep on writing. Just don't lose hope. All of the judges are friendly people, and we won't bite if you poke us for feedback on your work. It really sucks a lot to not get recognized for something you're proud of, but every writer--every artist, for that matter--goes through the same thing.

Just don't lose hope guys. <3 We sincerely and truly mean it when we say we wish we could give medals to everyone. Each and every one of you is very extremely talented and we want you all to keep writing and growing.

We love you all and it's definitely always a pleasure to host these games.

To the medal-less

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Fantastic post @Elinor!

Just being able to complete some of these challenges is awesome, especially if you're writing something different than you normally would! The Writing Olympics is all about pushing your creative abilities. If you were proud of a piece that your wrote, don't let not getting a medal take away your excitement about writing or the growth you had in writing it. Each event can only award three medals, but that certainly does not mean there were only "three good pieces".

And like Elinor said, please reach out if you're curious about having some feed-back on the entries you submitted. :)

Much love to all who have participated in the Writing Olympics this year!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah