z

Young Writers Society

Event 8: YWS Scavenger Hunt

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Welcome to The YWS Scavenger Hunt Event!

So we know how much you guys love turning the site upside down and inside out to find the answers to these so we’re going to give you 48 hours instead of the standard 24 but there will still be another event posted tomorrow so if you need a break, you can check that one out as well.

Ground Rules

Please send all answers to Rydia and Meshugenah in a PM - do not post on this thread!

1. Absolutely no bumping of topics that may be relevant. If such a topic is found, the posts will be deleted, and the bumper disqualified.
2. You may beg, borrow, or steal, but you may not bully, bribe, or otherwise harass anyone into helping you complete this.
3. You may use any means necessary available to you, but may not do anything illegal - i.e. try to hack into the super duper secret no one knows about it mod castle secret base where we keep all the good chocolate (hint: it’s definitely not on Mars, nor has it ever been).

The prize is bragging rights for knowing YWS better than anyone else and a certificate to that effect. The certificate will be awarded at the end of the week.

Easy (all worth 1 point)

If you’ve been with us a few months then you probably know some of these and even if you’ve just joined, they’re not buried too deep!

1. How many reviews do I need to do to earn my first review star?
2. How old will YWS be on the 7th August 2031?
3. On what exact date was YWS officially created?
4. Who are the newest additions to the mod squad?
5. Who is the newest group leader of the Storybooks Crew?
6. What is the name of the YWS internal e-zine?
7. Name a member who joined the site on November 16th 2004.
8. Who is 11th in the All Time review rankings?
9. To the nearest thousand how many members does YWS have?
10. What is the name of the area of the site where the NaNoWriMo forums are found?

General Knowledge (all worth 2 points)
Somewhere in the back of your head is the answer to at least one of these questions but don’t
pull your brain out trying to find it - search YWS instead.

1. Have we re-used more or less questions in this Scavenger Hunt than last time?
2. Who won the silver medal in the ‘The Library of Imaginary Things’ event?
3. In the 2012 Writing Olympics, what was the third task? (Bonus point if you complete it now)
4. In which years were the YWS Literary Journals all published?
5. Who ran event 5 in the last writing olympics?
6. Who are the two legendary warring cliques on YWS?
8. What colour user names did the instructors, greeters and mentors have?
9. Who posted the very first poem on YWS?
10. What happened to question 7?

Check the Archives (all worth 3 points)
These are getting harder and if you can answer any without looking it up, you deserve some free candy but we don’t have free candy so have a pat on the back instead!

1. What was the training area called before you reached the capital Sanctum in the YWS game Sanctum?
2. Where on YWS are you likely to find a dancing baby?
3. What is NLA and what does it stand for?
4. How many times was the word Fahrvergnügen used on the review day where the last review was written by LilySoulMahon?
5. On which day did the current iteration of Squills debut and what was the contest reported within and who was the contest run by?
6. On what day was the original YWS ‘Zine published?
7. What were the names of the four teams for the Summer review event run by Rydia?
8. Before the badges system was revamped, there were just five badges which were awarded by moderators. What colour was the 1001 posts badge?
9. Who has been featured member twice in December?
10. When was FRED born? (bonus point if you can also tell us where he was born).

Fiendish and a little bit crazy (all worth 4 points)
Some of these questions are so challenging you may not be able to find the answers on YWS.

1. What was the name of YWS’ sister site which was due to open October 1st 2005 but didn’t open until October 16th?
2. During the great blackout of 2006, there was a site that YWSers flocked to. What was the site, and who created it?
3. Name at least two leaders/founding members, past or present, for each of the two YWS rival cults.
4. How many answers did you get wrong? (bonus point if you tell us how many points you’ve got to the nearest 5)
5. What has recently been deleted from YWS (in the last week)?

Bekah and Heather section (all worth 5 points)
We know the answers but you probably don’t

1. How many questions have we re-used in this year’s Scavenger Hunt? (bonus point if you can list 3 of them)
2. Name 15 YWS’ers who either Rydia or Meshugenah have met in person (1 point for every 3, minus incorrect answers).
3. What is Mesh’s favorite fandom? (bonus point for the top 3 fandoms OR favorite character for fanfic)
5. Name something which Rydia is allergic or intolerant to (1 point for each thing named up to 5 points)
5. In regard to the hit TV show Supernatural, which of the brothers do Rydia and Meshugenah favour?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:27 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

On August 7th 2031, I'll be exactly 35... :mrgreen:
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am
View Likes
Mea says...

I submitted. May the great overlords have mercy. xD
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:59 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

dropping this right before the deadline to avoid mesh hitting me with a plunger or something.
(look at my seniority hours and throw it onto sound or someone like that instead)
my answers aren't that real anyways and i feel like publicly breaking the rules, so here's my set.

Spoiler! :
1. How many reviews do I need to do to earn my first review star?
5.5 (very few people know about the .5) but if you want them to show up, please put up a gosh darn pfp already
2. How old will YWS be on the 7th August 2031?
well it should be 26 and then some, but who knows with y'all
3. On what exact date was YWS officially created?
november 14 2004 or was it
4. Who are the newest additions to the mod squad?
casanova, darkpan, querencia, and sound.
and maybe freakforchrist but i can't be sure of the exact date he joined up or to what crew. i'm thinking it was a friday the 13th and he joined the secret police?
5. Who is the newest group leader of the Storybooks Crew?
if it's not lumi, then i have really been out of the loop for a long time
6. What is the name of the YWS internal e-zine?
squills?
idk i've only worked there for a few months. they don't tell us official things like that down in the department i work in. you see my gossip and recipe columns.
7. Name a member who joined the site on November 16th 2004.
crysi
who else has been here that long
oh
like 50 people
8. Who is 11th in the All Time review rankings?
firestarter
unless someone does like 500 reviews between now and the time i post this in the thread
9. To the nearest thousand how many members does YWS have?
or 45.1
however you're rounding with that
10. What is the name of the area of the site where the NaNoWriMo forums are found?
special events that are serious business and maybe none of your business

1. Have we re-used more or less questions in this Scavenger Hunt than last time?
hmm
wasn't around much then
and still not now
2. Who won the silver medal in the ‘The Library of Imaginary Things’ event?
biscuitsbatchavoy aka biscuitsleguin
3. In the 2012 Writing Olympics, what was the third task? (Bonus point if you complete it now)
4. In which years were the YWS Literary Journals all published?
2031???
5. Who ran event 5 in the last writing olympics?
brumalhunter, who needs to man the broom more and sweep out the cabin on the pirate ship i have docked in sb right now
how much do you even pay him
6. Who are the two legendary warring cliques on YWS?
there was spew and snoink is all i care about, except for her alliances in the faction wars, kinda pissed me off
but uh nla
8. What colour user names did the instructors, greeters and mentors have?
instructors = purple
greeters = blue
mentors = neon pink because they needed to shock the bad kids
9. Who posted the very first poem on YWS?
do you mean in the original forums or post switch
either way is more research than i'm willing to do and would rather just write something sarcastic here
10. What happened to question 7?
someone messed up a very simple math joke

Check the Archives (all worth 3 points)
These are getting harder and if you can answer any without looking it up, you deserve some free candy but we don’t have free candy so have a pat on the back instead!

1. What was the training area called before you reached the capital Sanctum in the YWS game Sanctum?
obviously the tavern
all the drill sergeants were stopping in there for a drink before having to get shot at by some young whippersnapper recruits
2. Where on YWS are you likely to find a dancing baby?
snoink's cafe
3. What is NLA and what does it stand for?
national louge association
national lizard association
natural lounge agency
4. How many times was the word Fahrvergnügen used on the review day where the last review was written by LilySoulMahon?
you can read all about it here
Fahrvergnügen = 36
the other funky one = only 2
better than the next month, which was none for both
5. On which day did the current iteration of Squills debut and what was the contest reported within and who was the contest run by?
farthest back i found was:
1/22/13
grif was eic
reporting on yws cup
which was run by firestarter
the yws conspiracy was probably started by nate tbh
i should have just written nate as the answer for everything
6. On what day was the original YWS ‘Zine published?
idk
7. What were the names of the four teams for the Summer review event run by Rydia?
tabby cats
calico cats
turtleshell cats
stray cats
8. Before the badges system was revamped, there were just five badges which were awarded by moderators. What colour was the 1001 posts badge?
going with hot pink for those 1 million points heather stole from the bank and then i got dragged around the forums looking for. now you know why i moved from the treasury department to the armory.
9. Who has been featured member twice in December?
Mea
she's got those skills
oh you mean legitatemetly, not because the thing was broken
10. When was FRED born? (bonus point if you can also tell us where he was born).
*adjusts leather vest*
*fonzie voice*
ehhhh, do i look like i care

Fiendish and a little bit crazy (all worth 4 points)
Some of these questions are so challenging you may not be able to find the answers on YWS.
1. What was the name of YWS’ sister site which was due to open October 1st 2005 but didn’t open until October 16th?
nate didn't have a calendar
2. During the great blackout of 2006, there was a site that YWSers flocked to. What was the site, and who created it?
yws government shutdown backup plan
freakforchrist
3. Name at least two leaders/founding members, past or present, for each of the two YWS rival cults.
nate
nate
nate
nate
4. How many answers did you get wrong? (bonus point if you tell us how many points you’ve got to the nearest 5)
if you ignore the sarcasm attached to the correct ones, from 20-25. i did about 15 before i decided to mess around with this.
5. What has recently been deleted from YWS (6in the last week)?
a whole bunch of spam bots
when in doubt, shout spam bots (or just spam) from the rooftops of yws
someone will either shoot at you or give you food
50/50 chance
might as well take it

Bekah and Heather section (all worth 5 points)
We know the answers but you probably don’t
1. How many questions have we re-used in this year’s Scavenger Hunt? (bonus point if you can list 3 of them)
too many
2. Name 15 YWS’ers who either Rydia or Meshugenah have met in person (1 point for every 3, minus incorrect answers).
well i know that there was audy because i remember that reported post
probably iggy, carina and the other folks in that group
pretty sure nate? just based on a story i heard while listening through a keyhole?
3. What is Mesh’s favorite fandom? (bonus point for the top 3 fandoms OR favorite character for fanfic)
obviously she is a worshipper of john green
or the cult of sabriel, which is totally separate from spn, how dare you insult them like that.
5. Name something which Rydia is allergic or intolerant to (1 point for each thing named up to 5 points)
the color pink and kittens but she just loves them both so much, she goes through the pain
5. In regard to the hit TV show Supernatural, which of the brothers do Rydia and Meshugenah favour?
definitely adam, who is still the cage by the way, if someone would like to get him out of there.

what i can manage to do is answer a few questions from the 2014 olympics

What is Nate's middle name?

last time i checked, lee
Which group makes it their mission to ensure every piece of writing posted on YWS gets at least two reviews?

supposedly kotgr but i haven't been around enough lately to make sure they were actually during their missions
Name two members, other than Nate, who were moderators in 2004.

firestarter
crysi
and electricbluemonkey???
Find Mesh’s very first post ever on YWS.

it's somewhere in this rather cringey randomisity thread. who knew

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller