Young Writers Society

YWS Yearbook 2019

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:33 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory. ~ Dr. Seuss

You may post anything you like: shout-outs to specific people, stories or poems you really liked, what you read this year, pictures, favorite quote, etc. However, you may make only one post! Although you can edit that one post as much as you like.

That time of year has finally arrived again! As we end the year and move into the next decade, we invite you to grab your spots, sit back, and enjoy the memories <3 And to those who are new with us, join in! You will look back upon it next year and smile.

mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:34 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Goodbye, 2019

When I first made this thread and claimed my spot with this post, I wanted to follow in the footsteps of my past self. My 2018 yearbook post was more personalized than my two previous ones. I listed all of the people that had impacted my life on the site and said how. I had a fun little nod to the storybook I had been scheming about for a very long time. Overall, I felt proud looking back at what my past self had accomplished.

But when I tried to write this post, I realized that 2019 didn't fit into the same neat bubble that 2018 did. 2019 was a year marked by change. I finished the last few months of my senior year and graduated from high school. I started as junior moderator in the storybook crew and became a global moderator here on YWS. I lost Mat, the cat that meant the world to me. I got Leo, my adorable, mischievous little kitten that I can't imagine living without. I started my first year of college, and finished my first semester. I made friends here on YWS, drifted out of touch with ones I've known for years, and rekindled old friendships. I went through a string of short-lived WIPs, finished the first draft of a podcast, and wrote a 48k long Batfam fic after my new friend in college dragged me into DC.

I can't predict what the next year will bring with it, or what kind of post I'll make when it's time to contribute to the latest yearbook. But I can say that I'm grateful for how this year has gone, and I hope that I can make 2020 even better.

mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:45 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

I shall also claim a spot. ^^

YoungWritersSociety In General

• I became the Editor-in-Chief for Squills. It's been really exciting and nerve wracking but I’ve made some incredible friends from when I first joined our lovely newsletter. And I really do love the work we do, it's just a lot of work sometimes. ^^
  • I completed NaPo for the second year in a row. I think this is my favorite of the two years, more so because there was the theme of (flowers) that I got to expand on a lot as I went through a lot of flower pictures.
  • I did not complete NaNo for the second time. And I'm currently okay with that because I did learn a bit about myself. I can keep writing for days about pets and staring at random people, and this was going off of something that had little plot. I just need to plan more.
  • I've made some great friends, and participated a lot more in YWS events. Being able to reconnect with some of my older friends as well has been really nice and I appreciate people popping back online even if just for a few minutes.

My More Personal Life

• I'm going to volunteer at an animal education center. I am very excited about this since I just attended the volunteer orientation and now just have to wait a few days for the system to clear me and to get my login information.
  • I also have applied to become a tutor at my community college. It's through the version of STEM that my school has as a program, and I don't know when I'll hear back from the director, but I hope soon. I'm never good with having to wait for big events.
  • I just scheduled a flight to see a UC. This is my first airplane ride ever, but it's to a UC that I'm really interested in, but couldn't visit before, because it was so far away. Thankfully I've got a decently long break thanks to my college, and I actually can go.
  • I think I've become more assertive and a better advocator for myself. This last year, even at least six months, I've really tried stepping up and taking responsibility for myself, including getting my driver's license, and speaking with my professors and other adults for my schooling. It hasn't come easy, but I'm improving.

My Writing, Whether I Like It Or Not

• I wrote a short story I actually like. Chords and Loved Ones was something I enjoyed writing, and I feel like it had a rushed ending, but it had an ending. I never did hear back from the Tumblr competition, but oh well.
  • I have started multiple novels without getting too far into them. This is something I definitely want to spend more time on, and actually think about where my stories should and could go without absolutely losing my mind over plot ideas.
  • I struck out with NaNo again this year. Not my brightest of moments, but I did hit past 10k with this project, which is better than nothing. I also realized that I need a better system to plan things out because at this point in the novel, I have basically nothing left.
  • Finally, I'm really wanting to write out a novel this next year. I have been looking over different writing websites, trying to find a better way to plan novels out, and I think I've got a decent one for a fantasy story at least. Here's to hoping I keep up with all of the details. E:

All Of The Storybooks

• I started a SB that went nowhere. This is absolutely all my fault, but I can say that I at least liked the idea I came up with, which was All That Was Lost. I'm hoping this next year I can actually keep a storybook of mine alive for at least a few posts by other users.
  • I joined what became probably my favorite SB. The Outlands was a storybook that I read through over a few days sometime last year, only for there to be an opportunity for a user to join in. I was absolutely stoked and am still super stoked to be a part of this amazing story and people.
  • I'm super stoked to see where the current SBs are going. I got to join a couple more besides the Outlands, especially a Pokemon one that I'm sure is going to be awesome to be a part of once the year starts anew.
  • I also want to join more SBs next year. I'm hoping I can start a new one or two sometime, but I at least want to get involved in some other genres. I'm a stickler for anything fantasy of the sort, or an AU of an already established show/movie/game.

And The Lovely People I Call Friends

Uhm, I love you all, and I don't know if I'll have the energy to shout out everyone cause it would be a very long list. Thank you all for doing your very best at keeping the YWS website running and the people involved. ^^
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:11 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Even though it's 2020 now, I figured there was no better way to kick my year off than to reflect on all the wonderful things and people that made my 2019 amazing. 2019 was not the most amazing year of my life. It was the roughest in terms of my mental health, and there were some really dark and scary times. But I made it through all of the times thanks in large part to the amazing people in my life and the things that I had to look forward to.

EXCITING EVENTS OF 2019

• Got my first blue star!
  • Maintained a 4.0 GPA
  • Switched schools to find a better environment for me that allows me to become well-rounded and pursue opportunities outside of school.
  • I got my first blue star!
  • I wrote 50 reviews for #RevMo in September
  • I became a junior moderator! This completely took me by surprise, but I've really enjoyed being a part of such an awesome team.
  • Participated in some superr fun hashtags - namely, #classified and #shadybeard
    (you're never living that one down, Shady)
  • I got my first job!
  • I went on a 5-week missions trip to Central America
  • Started going to a therapist regularly as part of my efforts to take control of my mental health
  • Competed at an international level in robotics
  • I kept working, redrafting, editing, and revising one of my projects, and while I haven't hit any significant milestones with it, I've made a lot of changes to the idea and am happy at the place that my idea is now.
  • I started writing a lot more poetry -- most of it has been lost in the catacombs of WFP/etherpads, but the fact that I was able to get so much practice with a new writing style.

SHOUT-OUTS

@ShadowVyper - Bro. I'm so glad we've gotten the chance to connect more and chat more this year. I love hearing your point of view on different issues and I appreciate the way you make me consider different perspectives. You've been there for me in the toughest of times and I'll never be able to tell you how much that meant to me. I'm beyond thankful for our friendship and I hope it continues to grow in 2020!

@Oxara - I'm so glad we've gotten the chance to talk more this year! You are an amazing, caring, generous friend and an awesome person. Always remember how much you are loved and how amazingly sweet you are.

@BluesClues - Thank you for always being there and supporting me when I'm going through tough times. I can always count on you to be

@mellifera - We haven't gotten the chance to talk too much this year, but I'm hoping that changes in 2020! You're such a fun person, an amazing writer, and a great friend. Keep being awesome, and never change who you are.

@AvantCoffee - you've also helped me so much with my mental health. The way you've been there for me, reassured me that what I'm experiencing is normal and valid, and supported me without being overbearing has made such an impact on me. Thank you for everything.

@Arcticus - please come back soon bud. I really miss all of your tipsy wall posts, culture posts, amazing poetry, and general presence. YWS isn't the same without you, and we all miss you.

@ScarlettFire - you're always fun to hang with in a WFP, and keep those cat pics coming ;)

@kirklin - I know you might not see this, but I miss you already. You're a good friend and fun to hang out with, and the way that you can create worlds so wonderfully in your head will never cease to amaze me.

@ the entire Review Palooza crew - I had a lot of fun plotting things with you all and our general life chats. I hope we get the opportunity to reconnect again!

@fraey - we also haven't gotten a chance to talk as much as I'd like, but I've always enjoyed getting to talk with you and hope we get more of a chance to connect more this year!

@soundofmind - your music is so amazing!! you're fun to hang out with and you're so incredibly musically gifted. Please keep blessing the site with your fantastic music and personality :)

@jaybird (almost tagged you as Magestorrow) - your motivation and sweet personality always amaze me. You're an amazing addition to the site, and I can't imagine modding without you. Keep being you -- YWS wouldn't be the same without your presence.

@BlueFeltrix - we also haven't had the chance to talk a lot, but I've really enjoyed playing DND with you and I hope we get the chance to connect more this next year

@alliyah - you're a fantastic poet and a wonderful person! I always enjoy chatting with you and hope we get to do more of that in 2020!

and to anyone I missed -- it was not intentional and I blame my attention span. Thanks to everyone on YWS who made this year so great.

Young Writers Society: Come for the writing, stay for the people
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:48 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

In June, I celebrated 10 years on YWS. Very few things have been constant in my life for 10 years, but YWS is one of them. I wouldn't be who I am today without it.

A few people that made the year special:

@Jaybird I love your passion and your drive. You put so much into everything that you do, creative and otherwise. YWS is in good hands.
@soundofmind MY LIZ TAYLOR. It thought it was impossible for one person to be so talented but I know you're going to have an awesome career as a writer/artist/singer/songwriter and I'm proud to call you my friend.
@Mea You have so much heart and I'm excited to see what you do with it.
@mellifera I love your writing, your dedication, and your critiques. Keep at it.
@JabberHut I love you so much and I love that you came back.

And of course there are many, many more. I wouldn't have stuck around on YWS this long if I didn't love this community. 2019 was a year of challenges, but also great joys and all of the support of Eagle Rock is super meaningful to me.

Also, I took a trip to England which amazing and I met two of my favorite YWSers:

@Rydia You've been my friend and mentor all these many years, and always believed in me. I loved getting to meet you.

@StellaThomas I had so much fun with you in Dublin, and getting to meet your HUSBAND too. ;)

Ready to head into the 2020s stronger than ever.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:58 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

A Memorial To A Year Past & Gone!

Alot has happened to me this year, and I really don't know where to begin.
First off, I overcame my inner-coward and actually testified in a certain Trial (I will not disclose any further detail), got accepted into my favorite collage, finished my first novel. (A Flash-novel to be exact), and some things that are too personal, to talk about in public.
Next off, I became more active on Y.W.S, and made some amazing friends on here-a special shout out to @Raelyn, @MiniGem16, @LittleLee, @soundofmind, and I've gotten to know the amazing awesome @Jaybird, much better, which has been a special treat.
Finally, I got some new kittens, Athena and Jack Sparrow, and I learned some new arts (ie. Singing, voice acting, etc), which was exciting.
All in all, it's been a good year, and I can't wait to see what 2020 brings. Be warned 2020. The one and only EverLight the Great is ready to face whatever challenges you throw at her!
Have a good New Years Eve celebration everyone! <3
Last edited by EverLight on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm winning at life!

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:32 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

YWS Memories

The Classified Conspiracy & the Unclassified Counter-Movement was so much fun & nonsense. Definitely an achievement that the Unclassified Crew was able to keep Classified from overthrowing Big Brother and committing their conspiracy plots.

This year I completed NaPo for the third time with 40 poems - my thread was called love and complementary colors and I based each poem on a different color. Every time I complete NaPo I feel like my poetry grows so much, this one reflected on some past relationships, family ties, home-sickness, and faith. I'm really proud of how it turned out overall. And I'd say reading everyone else's NaPo threads was definitely a highlight of the year.

Birthday Week was another favorite memory from the year - it was fun to see the site buzzing with activity & I hosted a poetry jam & birthday haiku contest during the week.

Lastly, SQUILLS was a huge part of YWS for me this year! I completed my 100th article, and generally had a great time contributing to it with a variety of different articles.

YWS Highlights
- Became a Global Moderator Feb 27, 2019: a new global moderator announcement
- Completed NaPo (round 3) love and complementary colors
- Completed RevMo & Team Tortoise
- Wrote several more entries for the KB
- Helped run a Spooktober workshop, Reviewing workshop, Four-Frames workshop
- Ran several competitions this year on YWS
- I'm now #31 on the All Time Leaderboard for Reviewing & got my first red review star.
- Led the Unclassified Crew to find the truth.
- I wrote my 100th Squills Article

Writing Highlights

My writing was predictably mostly about relationships again this year - but there was also a lot of focus on being homesick/nostalgia. homesick, i swear i don't miss home, where will you make your home. There's still a lot of constant themes and images, but I feel like there's more variety overall in my writing this year than last.

This year I also really got into playing with some different poetry formatting and that was a fun element to add to my poetry. spiraling was a really interesting poem to write, and I'm really happy with how the formatting turned out on that.

I've been submitting different poems to some poetry contests/journals - so far no luck! But at the very least, this has helped me to get a bit better on following up to edit poems - which is something I haven't always been very diligent with.

Life Updates

2019 was honestly really tough!

My Spring semester was certainly one of the lowest points in my life so far, for a whole bunch of reasons that just spiraled together - family changes, processing an abrupt relationship end + traumatic experience from the previous year, and generally just being very unsatisfied with my school situation. It took me until May to fully decide to transfer schools - but it ended up being such a good decision.

I had a really enjoyable summer job - which was a refreshing break from school - though I was basically not on YWS the whole summer, since it was pretty demanding time-wise.

The Fall semester at my new school has been good - I feel like I'm in a pretty healthy place. It's a lot farther away from my home than I've ever been, which is tough, but in some ways that's for the best too. I feel like I've been doing a lot of growing up and am really feeling ready to be done with school.

Shout-Outs

There are so many folks who made my experience on the site in 2019 memorable, YWS is my internet-home, and my writing has improved a lot since I've been here because of all of you. I really appreciate each and everyone of you who has encouraged me, chatted with me in a write-in, or shared your work for me to enjoy. My shout-outs won't catch everyone, since there are too many to name, but really I love you all so much.
Spoiler! :

Poetry Peeps

@CaptainJack - CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD JACK, REVIEWER WRITER EXTRAORDINAIRE, LIZARD - I appreciate you so much. From your humor, to our poetry talks, and KotGR scheming, you're a really amazing and talented person and you make the site more enjoyable. You are one of a kind and I'm very glad to know you. Thanks for ranting with me and just being 100% you. Also I love that you write what you want, and your unique approach to poetry challenges me to be more creative in my own work. <3

@AvantCoffee - AH COFFEE - I was so thrilled when you became a PCREW mod <3 (I know you are blue right now, but you can't escape being a poetry-ranger) I loved having a chance to get to know you a bit better this year, and especially getting the chance to host the Four Frames Workshop together - I will be a life-long unclassifed member, but I have to say, I am still astounded by your organization skills with the whole classified deal, that was incredible - and hands down one of the best things this year. You are so smart and compassionate, and I love how caring you are in the YWS clubs & the people tab. Also,,, your poetry is impressive and heart-catching - I hope I get a chance to read more of it in 2020. <333

@Aley - MY POETRY CREW LEADER 4EVR - Aley, first off. I MISS YOU. feel free to message me on discord if you're ever around, also stop by and do a poetry jam sometime <333 I really am very grateful for some of the good advice you've given me a as a mod & writer, and really respect your wide knowledge in poetry. You are a gem, and I hope you are doing really well out there in the world, and continuing to write a lot of poetry.

@TheBlueCat - MY FAVE GREEN/BLUE CAT! CAT!!! I'm thrilled that you're green again, and I'm always happy to see you around the site, we've had a lot of fun hosting different things together this year and last, and I enjoyed doing the spooktober jam with you this year. You've got a poetry style that's all your own and filled with lots of stars. Really happy to know you, and if you ever want to host a jam together, you know where to find me!

@Dossereana - EAGLEFLY You are one of my most supportive YWS friends, I so appreciate how you are always checking in on people - you have such a kind heart. Also your poetry and writing growth has been amazing to watch while you've been on the site. You've been taking a break for a while, but you were a big part of YWS this year - from write-ins to review days to poetry reviewing. One of my favorite YWS memories of the year was getting a chance to write another poem with you. I hope you are doing well my friend. Say hello to those dogs of yours for me! And never ever stop writing! <3

@niteowl - NITE !! (you are always a poetry peep to me!) I really enjoy following your LMS poetry journey and also really liked being NaPo pals with you this year too. I find your writing to just be so sincere and it's some of my favorite on the site. I appreciate how much you do in reviewing on YWS too, and yeah hoping 2020 is a really good year for you. <3

@paperforest - NAPO PAL! Paper, I think we just met this year right? It seems like you've been on YWS for longer though! I loved reading your work for NaPoWriMo and also so appreciated your comments on my own. Keep up on your writing, I know you have a lot of talent, and I hope I get to read more of it in 2020.

@Querencia - QUE - Dude I really appreciated our mutual support over RevMo (that was a blast) and also your poetry has really stood out to me this year. I remember following your NaPo thread and also seeing the entries for April Madness and I just really like your style and approach to poetry. Also I want to give a big THANK YOU!! for following my own NaPo thread to the bitter end. Happy writing in 2020 Que!

Write-In Crew

@Oxara - oXaRa (I spelled your name like that because you always capitalize the "A" in my username) HEY OX! I enjoyed all of our talks in write-ins this year, you always try to support people however you can - and also I'm always really really proud of you for tackling poetry (Look at you making a whole SB post out of poems!! that was excellent and one of my fave memories from the year) - thanks for putting up with my poetry-pestering and also just having an open ear. You are more talented than you give yourself credit for bud. Keep up your writing, I'm hoping all the best for you in 2020. <3

@BluesClues - #UNCLASSIFIED4LYFE When are you changing your username back to BlueAfrica, I still think there is some conspiracy going on. Anyways despite your classified shenanigans, thank you for your level-headedness & super hard work as a mod - I always like running into you in write-ins - you're just friendly and enjoyable to chat with. Also I appreciate your help in editing up my KB articles this year - and actually really enjoyed helping you edit that one poem that we went through a bunch of editions of. You're clearly a very talented writer, and I'm glad you're a part of this site. <3

@Tuckster - TUCK ! I'm really happy you're part of the green team and appreciate your encouraging presence on the site, especially in write-ins. I loved our mutual support over RevMo ( congrats again)! We had a lot of good chats this year - and I wish you all the best in 2020! You seem like such a hard worker, who puts your all into everything and I definitely admire that.

@ShadowVyper - SCIENTIST SHADY <3 Shady! We had a lot of chats in this year in write-ins and you were just a big part of YWS for me in 2020. Thanks for being a listening ear, and your encouragements. We wrote a couple great KB articles together I'd say- and you were great to work with. I'm so glad you decided to NaPo this year - it was so neat to see you get into definition poetry and then just like create this whole style of poetry yourself - so neat! I hope that all the fish you're sciencing-with are doing well, and wish you luck on any poetry you get yourself into in 2020! <>< (fish emoji?)

@Liberty - You bring so much enthusiasm and energy to the site! I'm really glad you're on YWS and I hope that 2020 is good to you. Best of luck in your write-in endeavors!

@ScarlettFire - I'm still astounded by how you wrote so many poems in such a short time for napo,,,,, like.... HOW do you have these powers!??? I appreciate our chats in write-ins, and love your personality. Keep writing, keep jamming!

Mods

@AllModerators - you are a hard working crew, and I appreciate each and every one of you and your passion for the site and for writing and for making YWS a friendly place. Thanks for helping to make 2019 a good year! <33333

@fraey - Our EDITOR IN CHIEF<3 fraey!! thank you so much for all the commenting/following you did with my napo, but also just in general, you are one of the most supportive folks on the site. I also really enjoyed your own approach and creativity you had with NaPo, and excited to read more of your poetry in 2020, thanks for all the hard work you do with Squills. <3

@EternalRain - RAIN <3 I always enjoy your Squills contributions and also appreciate all the hard work you do as an editor & mod! You're a positive presence on the site ~ and I'm wishing you all the best in your writing endeavors this next year.

@Jaybird (I legit typed Mage first, then realized that wouldn't work) - I'm so glad that we got to know each other a bit better this year (thanks Jack!) you are so caring & conscientious on the site, and you do so much to make YWS a bright welcoming place, and keep the gears running smoothly. I've appreciated your presence as a mod ever since we were JMs, but I also really appreciate your passion & creativity in writing (have loved jumping into a few more tagbooks led by you this year). Seriously, thank you for all you do on the site to help YWS in being a friendly place, and I wish you all the best in 2020! <3

Unclassified Co-Conspirators wait did i say conspiracy

@TheEgg and @fishsashimi @jster02 @riellehn @Mea @PrincessInk @Wolfical - friends, @TheEgg and the good work we did in Unclassified will go down in YWS history. [also you are all wonderful people, and I would split this post up and write more but my writing is getting excessive at this point] I'm wishing you all the best in 2020, and thank you for coming together with me in 2019 to protect the site from the evil forces of classifed (also thanks for putting up for my many PMs and random unclassified updates, you've made this year fun!). #LongLiveBigBrother, #WeAreTheForceForTruth

@BlueFeltrix - FELTRIX this is off the record - but along with @Tuckster and @ShadowVyper & the rest of the classified crew I admire your passion for the classified movement even if I disagree with it, I'm still laughing that you actually changed your username to "bluefeltrix" ... that is truly something. Best luck to you in 2020, ((also it's not to late to join the resistance!!)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:20 am
View Likes
Clairia says...

claimed
"If you have
a painting in you, paint.
Just create it.
Banish doubt and fear
and step out of your own way.
Write if you're a writer.
Do what you were born to do.
--Toni Sorenson

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:08 pm
View Likes
SimiDeJoie4 says...

I Rep December 4,what about you? :D

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:58 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hm...don't think I've ever been on the first page before. Not sure if I'll have time to fill this out but I'll claim a spot anyway lol.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:10 pm
View Likes
Asith says...

Sooo, I've kinda run out of time to do this in a well-written way, so I've turned it into more of a log-styled thing. I hope it's still pretty to look at :P

\-~< 2019 >~-/
\/

Stuff I did irl 
aka my boring life

*The highlight of the year*

[October] --| I finally started recording the music that I write!
I'd been dabbling with music as my second hobby for years now, but it was in 2019 that I said screw it and actually recorded and released my sounds for other people to hear. I'm still working on singing and showing my songs to people that aren't friends, but I have released instrumentals publicly, and I finally feel like I can tell people that I do music as well as write stories :P
Oh, and where did I publicly release my music, you ask? Why, right in this shameless self promo link of course

[February] --| I found my new favourite genre of music (post hardcore) and now I play guitar in bands
[March] --| I finished the first draft of the second novel I've ever written! Clocked in at about 54,000 words.
[May - June] --| I did my AS exams -- that's like half an A level! I passed them exceptionally woooo
[September] --| I started my last year of school and made a group of new friends :)
[October 17th]
 --| Wrote my first poem! I've written a few more since then, so poetry's a new fun thing I started doing this year
[October 31st] --| My first real Halloween in years; I dressed up as Ash Ketchum and visited a haunted house.
[December 27th] --| My 18th birthday -- finally an adult wooo
[December 31st] --| Didn't happen yet, but I'm gonna celebrate New Year's for the first time (it's not a big thing where I'm from). Gonna do fireworks with my friends :D

Stuff I did on yws
aka a few months' worth of content

[August 8th] --| I come back to yws after two years!
Best decision I made all year probably :p. I really like this place; I spent a lot of these last few months on it. It was fun two years ago too, but this time I actually feel like I'm having fun in the community, helping people, and improving my work. I don't think I'm leaving any time soon~*The highlight of the year*

[August 12th] --| My first literary spotlight on the site. "The Trees" was well received and it gave me a lovely boost of confidence to post more of my work
[August 19th] --| I was interviewed on Squills for the first time!
[September] --| Review month! I went all-out and did 50 reviews by September 29th. I got a lovely gold username for a while, and I remember colour-coding my avatar too
[September 25th] --| I was featured member!! Very honoured; much thanks
[October 17th] --| Posted my first poem on yws; publicly posting a poem for the first time was intense
[December 31st] --| 100 REVIEWS! I cut it a little close, but I managed to finish 2019 with exactly 100 reviews under my belt!
Last edited by Asith on Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move."

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

soundofmind's 2019
another year

2018 | 2017 | 2016

Significant Landmarks:

The Outlands celebrated it's 2 year anniversary as a storybook this year, and we're coming near to finishing it, which is very exciting. I look forward to completing it, but I will greatly miss writing with all of the wonderful people who've made it possible, and who I consider dear, dear friends.

▶ I did NAPO2019 with my thread it's okay, which I think is aptly named since most of my poems were just okay (lol). But I'm glad I did it and finished!

▶ I started writing my novel The Lost Dragon last summer in 2018 and have kept writing it through this past year, especially at the beginning of 2019. Hit a really big life speedbump in the late summer and have been slugging away since, but I'm determined to finish in 2020.

▶ I counted, and I wrote 21 new, completed songs in this past year, all posted on my soundcloud. I think some of the ones I've written in the past few months have been my favorites I've ever written, and I think I've really grown as a songwriter. I want to keep growing!

▶ And as usual, I did a lot of roleplaying, both in the roleplay realm and off-site. I've so enjoyed getting to know other people while getting to create a story together.

▶ IRL, I reached out a lot more and developed some very precious friendships. I'm grateful for them and I see the fruit of being intentional with people and pursuing others even when you don't always feel like it.

▶ I also got my driver's permit, which is a big deal for me! It's been a long journey, and I'm now working towards my license and getting a car (*crosses fingers*).

▶ I also have been consistently meeting with a DND group throughout this whole year which has been wack! But awesome! I've really enjoyed it and it's been such a fun learning experience. I've definitely grown in my roleplaying abilities, even though I still feel much like a novice lol.

Friends:

I'm so blessed to know all of you. For everyone who's invested time in me and my creative projects, for everyone who's talked with me about our characters, for everyone who's given me the privilege of getting to know them, however much they allow, thank you. Each and every one of you are irreplaceable.

Spoiler! :
@AvantCoffee I have so enjoyed getting to know you more over this past year. I love how you're a deep thinker and want to give your best to the things you put your hands to. Even with the whole #classified clues scheme, you put so much heart into it and I love how you just had fun with it. You're someone I just love talking to. You're very down to earth and have a way about you that is disarming - you're someone who is trustworthy and honest. Thank you so much for reaching out when you do and for taking the time to talk with me and share in one of my great joys, The Outlands storybook. I'm so, so glad you enjoy it too. <3

-<>-

@jaybird You might be the person I've roleplayed with the most this year, and I love it. You've done such an excellent job as a mod here on this site and I've watched as you've stepped up where there's a need and served without complaint. You've given of your time and energy and you've done it in a way that is humble, and I find that very honorable and I'm so proud of you. I love how focused and goal-oriented you are, yet you're someone who's so easy to have fun with. I absolutely love talking stories and characters with you and I'm so glad I've found someone who loves talking about them as much as me! I'm so grateful for your friendship. <3

-<>-

@wolfical You are just excellent. I always get excited when I get the chance to write with you, and I love the little moments we've shared in pads and elsewhere. Laughing and joking with you has been so fun. But I can't talk about you without mentioning how incredibly crazy talented you are! You're just an absolutely stellar artist and just as stellar of a writer. You have this attention to detail that shows through in the things you create and I can tell there's careful intentionality in everything you make. I love it, and I love you!! <3

-<>-

@mydwindlingsanity I know you don't really check the site, and you might not ever see this unless I poke you about it, but I am forever grateful for your constant and unwavering support of The Lost Dragon, James and Clandestine, and my creative endeavors. Your encouragement means more than you know, and if I can say that I wrote a story that my sister enjoys, I think I can say I've truly succeeded in life. You are such a gem, and I love you. <3

-<>-

@sherlockhson James never would've happened without you. The Lost Dragon wouldn't be a thing without you. The rp we started years ago for fun laid the foundations for a project that I love and we've both put our hearts into it and I am forever grateful for that. Your creativity and your imagination are inspiring and I love getting to talk story ideas with you. You're a really good friend. You're someone who is full of compassion for others, listens with a sincere heart, and you don't run away when things get hard. You're loyal and consistent and dependable. I love your humor and I love when you get excited about a new story idea and want to share it. Your ideas are better than you give yourself credit for. Don't be afraid to create and just see what happens. I enjoy you. <3

-<>-

@fraey @Lael @Featherstone Ya'll. I don't even know what to say but I love you so much. I'm so, so happy I've gotten to know you guys through the Outlands and all the collaborating we've done. I've loved all the fun we've had together, joking about our characters and making them interact.

Lael, I love the thought that you put into your characters and their motivations, you depict what's going on in their heads so well. I love how you've made Kaia a strong female character without ridding her of human emotions! You made her like a person! Just like characters should be!!!

Fraey, you write in a way that feels so natural to read. I love your flow! You are such a steady support and you've done an amazing job jumping into an already-going rp and taking ownership of a character that's not your own. I know it's not easy and I'm so impressed by you!

Fea!!!! You're probably the fastest writer I've ever known! But it's not your speed that's so impressive - it's the quality of writing that you put out that honestly blows me away. You've honed your craft in the last few years and I've watched you just get better and better. It's WACK!!! AS IN AMAZING!!

Also I just gotta mention that I,, have so enjoyed our CJG times and how Auryon and James became two unlikely friends. I've always looked forward to writing with you and those were some of my favorite writing moments with you!!

-<>-

@Elinor I'm so amazed by you. The things you've overcome and accomplished in the past years are honestly crazy. I know it might feel like it's not much sometimes in the midst of craziness but I just want to say I'm so proud of you and I look forward to what's ahead for you!! ALSO!! I have LOVED working with you - be it in small rp's or bigger projects, and I can't wait for more!

-<>-

@mellifera Your reviews on my LMS novel have been some of the most helpful and encouraging reviews I've ever gotten. I admire the way you graciously correct in a way that is respectful of the writer and kind, but also helpful and informative. Your tips have stuck with me and have genuinely helped me grow as a writer! Thank you so so much!!!

-<>-

@SirenCymbaline @ChristenedPages Ya'll. Roleplaying with you two is always a blast. I LOVE it and hope to keep doing it more w/you in the future. And your guys' art? The bomb.com. Siren, you've drawn so many iconic drawings from our rps, it's amazing. You've immortalized ducky-pajama Kratzer forever. Thank you.

-<>-

@Hattable Thank you so, so much for checking in on me and sending me little memes here and there. I know it might seem small, but I really do appreciate it. <3

-<>-

This year felt long. Very long.

There's been a lot of change this year, especially coming near the end. It's been great, it's been terrible. It's been rewarding, and it's been hard. I've been so blessed by those around me and learned a lot about myself. And there's a lot I'm still learning, and the struggle's never over, but I'm confident going forward that there will be joy in the midst of it.

Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:00 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Wow, 2019, what a year!

It started with @Omnom and I launching Review Rampage (which is still accepting particpant, b-t-dubs!), and me getting this lovely moldy green color as I joined the gen lit mod crew!

And then, of course, #ShadyBeard and #Classified were the best of hashtags of the year. Which leads me to the shoutouts (in no particular order, my attention span is like two seconds long)...

@Tuckster -- really enjoyed all our hangouts this year. I feel like in a lot of ways we're flip sides of the same coin, which makes our debates fun and forces me to refine my opinions. I love that we can be science bros and Christian bros and writing bros. Bro.

@alliyah -- you're the bomb.com! I appreciate how much you encouraged my poetry attempts this year. I'm still nervous about my ability to write decent poetry, but that genre holds so much more joy for me this year than it ever did before, and that's largely thanks to you <3

@fortis -- I miss hanging out with you. You're another one of those special people who is always going to have a special place in my heart. I love your blatant science nerdiness, and omg your writing is the bestest I LOVE Connection so much. Hope you're well <3

@Arcticus -- pretty sure you're still on hiatus, but it just wouldn't be right not to mention you, since you were such an awesome NaPo buddy! I loved getting to read through all your work, and you were super encouraging to me as I struggled through getting a few of my own written. Hope you're well wherever you are~

@mellifera -- Scribberino! You're da bestest reviewer everrrrr <3 Like legitimately any time I feel like a trash panda of a writer, I just go back and read through the reviews you've left on my novel and it invariably cheers me up a bit and makes me decide that maybe the world isn't ending and my writing isn't the worst thing in the universe. Plus like, I know I'm not a super consistent reviewer for you, but everything I've read from you is just +11/10 excellent storyline and characterization and that DESCRIPTION. Simply perfection <33

@JabberHut -- Can I just be you when I grow up? Like six months straight of reviewing? Wow. You're l e g e n d a r y and your reviews on my novel were super super helpful and encouraging! I haven't had time to write regularly in a while, but I also go back and re-read reviews you've left me to motivate me to keep writing when I feel like I should stop inflicting my novel on the world lol. Hope 2020 treats you well <3

@ExOmelas -- OMG Tayburn Zoo? Such an amazing story. I love it so much. I know I haven't had a chance to review it in a long while, but that's fully because of real life, and I wish I had the time to just sit down and read through the entire novel like, this afternoon, all at once. Thanks for all the thesis-angst-chats and writing chats and being a solid friend <3

@Oxara -- It's been a while buddy, but I hope you're well! I miss all our chats and science nerd talks and writing talks. Back when I was in pads regularly I always knew I could count on you being there for a chat and support if I needed it. You're an awesome friend and so loved, buddy

@niteowl -- I love that you understand my science and grad school woes, and that you're always up for a chat and some encouragement. I'm so sorry you had such a bad advisor experience, but you're super awesome and I hope that you find an incredible job that makes full use of your potential in 2020, you so deserve it!

@Dossereana -- I'm so glad that I know you <33 You're a super cool person and it's been a while since we've hung out but I always enjoy our chats. Hope your 2020 is amazing <33

@fraey -- It's also been a while since we hung out, but I always enjoy chatting whenever we get the chance <3 You're another cool science and writing bro and I really enjoy all of our interactions. You're awesome!

@Jaybird -- You are like, the most motivated person I've ever met in my entire life. You're constantly interacting with people and SB/RPs and like single-handedly keep this site functioning ;) You're amazing and I hope you have a fantastic 2020 <3

@Liberty -- You're one of the friendliest people on this site! I can always count on a kind word from you, and I love that I get to know you <33 Hope your 2020 is amazing!

@BluesClues -- ResCrew mamaaaaaa! Thanks so much for being awesome and doing so much for the site. I love getting to collab with you on stuff, and I know I kinda sucked about finishing beta reading your novel since real life kicked me, but I loved what I got to read. You're a super talented author and I'm glad I get to know you <33

And... I know there were tons more people who made 2019 awesome for me, but I don't have time right now to continue this, so maybe I'll come back later to edit it with even more people.

But thank you, YWS, for making my 2019 a year worth remembering. You're all awesome <3

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:45 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Yearbook Post Thingy

Highlights

• I became a Junior Moderator on YWS!
  • Made it to the NaPo halfway point with 15 poems + wrote various other poems throughout the year
  • Co-ran a workshop with alliyah c:
  • Became a Knight of the Green Room! You can too !
  • Grew so, so, so, so, so much as a person for yet another (admittedly devastating) year and managed to come up pretty strong by the end of it by some miracle; here's to a kinder year in 2020 ^^
  • Whirred through too many different projects and interests to count and appreciated all of them
  • Did some super classified stuff
  • Won the YWS Poster Contest heck
  • My house didn't burn down from the current Australian bushfire crisis sweeping the country
  • Made some amazing friends and miraculously kept an old school friend around
  • Read the entirety of The Outlands storybook as it stands now in its final stage!
  • Joined the roleplay I have stayed active in the longest feat. @Jaybird (Mage) and the Superlunary crew of whom I'm fond and grateful to for showing me how crazy-fun RPs can be!
  • Resurrected my confidence in writing earlier in the year by rereading novels I love and remembering why I love creative writing and this community so much <3
  • Really I think this year can largely be marked by my ability to stick around with the things that matter to me and the rewards of that c:

Friends

This is in no particular order whatsoever, except for sound because she had it coming. If you aren't here I probably wanted you to be but I haven't had the chance to get to know you as much. I really appreciate and admire so many YWS members as people, and I'm looking forward to another year of having you all with me in 2020. Nothing could be truer than the image Shady posted a while back that took me a godawful amount of time to dig up again:

You guys are my lil butterflies, and I don't even care how sappy that is <3

And now on to shoutouts
Spoiler! :
@soundofmind You have been such a joyful and comforting part of my life the past year and I am so grateful to have gotten to know you! You are someone I find myself gravitating towards because it's so easy and safe being around you, and you're always able to improve my mood by being your creative, casual self. You have a way of making heaviness disappear with your acceptance and light-spiritedness, and I can't even describe how much I value that. You honestly make me feel like a better, purer person, as silly as that sounds. I love how passionate you are about The Outlands, the characters, the people who are part of it, and how you create the warmest SB family with shared projects like these. I've also so loved listening to your songs over the year and seeing you experiment and love music. I love talking to you and appreciate you so much. <3

@ScarlettFire Scarli! Your investment in stories and characters is admirable to witness, and I love that you don't try to be anything other than yourself. Your cat gives me life and the cat pics you post have undoubtedly improved my quality of life this year and continuing. I'm looking forward to writing ItWoaC with you this year! <3

@ExOmelas Bisc, you have been so constantly supportive of and there for me and others, and that goes such a long way, just knowing that I'm heard by someone I feel completely safe around. I love that you're so down-to-earth and laid-back, and I'm happy whenever I see your username around the place. Being a mess is no longer as terrible as it used to be, knowing that I have a space of amazing people who are there for each other, and you're right there in the middle of it. Thank you, you're amazing <3

@TinkerTwaggy I hope you're doing magnificently with your life. Thanks to you I have some great memories of us chatting about life, the universe and everything. You have been a friend that I have shared some of my more reflective thoughts to, and I will always be grateful to have someone as open-minded and unconventional as you who could liberally break down social and perspective barriers and step into grey morality with me without so much as a blink. I'm also greatly fond of the time you spent quizzing me about Pokémon! Stay awesome, Twaggy (not that you'll have any trouble with that) <3

@Sonder Our talks have been a treasure of my year last year! I would be so happy each time I got a new message from you, because I knew so much care would be put into it, and that to me felt like receiving the most valuable gift. You are such a friendly, caring and warm person who was equally willing to go the length of our long conversations. I feel like in an irl setting we'd be able to sit with tea and talk all day long and have the best time. I'm so touched by how you've approached and grown with your family story, and blown away by how lovely you are. I'm always here to support you, friend, and I hope we can keep talking into 2020! <3

@CaptainJack Your wry humour and suave characters had me fond of you already, but what blew me away in 2019 was learning how hugely kind and thoughtful you can be. I never feel like I need to hold back when talking about real stuff with you, and I really appreciate the conversations we've had. Thanks for continuing to look out for me. You're wonderful <3

@Tuckster I get a little emotional thinking about how proud I am of how you've approached your mental health over 2019. You are seriously amazing and brave and always moving towards being better tomorrow in anything you do. I'm touched that I've been able to help in any way, and ultimately recognise that my words are only so much compared to anything you've acted on and changed for yourself overtime. I'm always available to talk and I'll always support you, Tuck. <3

@RaidenCheese I've been kinda AWOL from Discord lately, but looking back over 2019, I'm so appreciative of all the times you replied to something of mine. I love your willingness to chat, and your friendliness has honestly been something like a security or nice assurance for me overtime. You're a really good lad, Raiden. Thanks for being around c:

@ShadowVyper Shady! You have given me some great advice over the past year with life struggles, and I always have such a blast chatting with you whenever we get the chance. I so love all the movements you encourage on YWS and the ambitious energy you bring. I really hope this new year goes awesomely for you! <3

@alliyah I can't even say how wonderful it's been getting to know you more last year. I feel like I can relate to how your mind approaches tasks and sees them through while keeping your heart in them. Talking about poetry and seeing how passionate you are has been the best thing for me, and has inspired me to view poetry with the same energy. I love how you can be sensible and diligent while also being adventurous and excited about exploration. The amount of work you put into things can be awe-inspiring, because it goes to show how much you care and how compelled you are to treasure living in what you bring to it. Your listening ear and careful advice has been so needed for me last year, and I'm so grateful for you. I'm really looking forward to interacting with you more this year <3

@Traves In the past couple months I haven't been able to get around to chatting with many people, but I've always enjoyed talking to you and I greatly appreciate your mind and what you choose to put your attention into. I love how open you are to learning and self-improvement, and it inspires me to do the same. Please keep being awesome around the place c:

@Mea You're always someone I'm fond of and I always hope to have time to reach out to you more when I see you around YWS these days. I hope everything is going well for you in this new year <3

@Jaybird Despite me not being in many RPs or SBs last year, I've loved being able to chat with you on Discord about life and good and bad days. Besides the avatar and name changes hehe, you are so assuring in what you bring by being yourself, with your care and easygoingness, and the hope you inspire in everything you touch. I feel like all you've created in the RP realm & SB section, The Saeverse, and YWS overtime has built Mage-branded refuges for people where creativity, fun and belonging can bloom. With wonderful passion and inclusion you create things that are casually invaluable. That's not to mention your amazing love for your own writing projects and characters! I've so appreciated talking with you about mod stuff last year, and that we've been able to advocate for each other, both seriously and unseriously haha. I can't wait to see how Runi and Thea get along <3

@Oxara I really wanted to tag you here to let you know how much I've appreciated the small replies you've left on my wall posts and the few songs I shared over 2019. I love how supportive you are of me and many others on YWS. Since you joined the site I've grown to love seeing you around c:

@Arcticus I imagine this will be an overkill with all the welcoming back you've been getting, but I planned to mention you regardless SO DEAL WITH IT AND SUCK UP THE COMPLIMENTS. Your goofiness is modest and appreciated on its own, but I also love the mindfulness you bring to everything; it appears in your poetry, your posts, how you perceive your experiences, and how you approach others. Do things here because you want to—you more than deserve it. And know that you can always pester me about NaPo again this year, since I'll probably pretend I don't have time for it again. d: What are poetry buds for, eh?

@Wolfical Wolfie! My groovy music buddy and creative wonder! I still appreciate you so much and I hope this new year is treating you well. I love the new dino portrait you posted in your art thread! It makes me sad that we're not in any storybooks together, but reading Brett and writing long wall post replies earlier on last year were delightful for me. I wish you the best with everything and I hope I can see you more this year <3

@SpiritedWolfe You haven't been on YWS for a while, but I still think about how you're going in your life. I'm wishing you well <3
Last edited by AvantCoffee on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia