z

Young Writers Society

Secret Santa 2014! {Closed}

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:58 am
View Likes
AfterTheStorm says...

@Lumi cleared his throat and began to read, “'Twas a few weeks before Christmas when all through the site
Everyone was buzzing, even freakforchrist;
Reviews were being written by YWSers with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there…”

There was an awkward pause.

@Elinor%20brynn stepped on stage. “Santa? That’s your cue!” She waved the script above her head, frantically looking around for any sign of a rather large man sporting this season’s hottest shade of red. Eli muttered something under her breath that sounded like, “I knew we should have used the monkeys,” when another mod suddenly burst onto the scene.

“Santa is on hold back at the workshop and can’t make enough gifts for everyone on YWS!” @Aley exclaimed. “What are we going to do?”

Santa C needs our help this Christmas. Stat. Help out this holiday season by giving gifts to a randomly selected user here on our very own YWS!

How do I get started?

Simply sign up on this thread, and you will be assigned to a random receiver who also joined this gift-giving extravaganza. Please only sign up if you absolutely know you will be able to participate.

What kind of present should I send?

Don’t limit yourself. :D Feel free to write a short story, make a personalized soundtrack, draw some artwork, etc. Once you are notified of your intended receiver, go ahead and check out their answers to the quiz below. Personalized gifts are always the best, but don’t stress. If all you can do is send a nice review or funny gif and message, great! The idea here is to show you care and to make someone’s holiday season special.  Have fun!

When and how can I ship off my present?

Starting on December 16th, you can send your present in a PM to Santa C. He can then distribute out your gift to the correct person. Please ship your present before December 30th!

To allow your Secret Santa to get to know you a bit better, please fill out as many questions of the following “quiz.”
Code: Select all
[b]What are some of your favorite books?[/b]
[b]What are a few notable hobbies of yours?[/b]
[b]What’s your favorite color?[/b]
[b]What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.?[/b]
[b]What is your favorite music genre?[/b]
[b]Where do you spend the most time on YWS?[/b]
[b]Anything else you’d like to add:[/b]

Note: If you have not received anything by December 30th, please let one of the moderators know.

The last day to sign up on this thread is December 15th. You should receive a PM from Santa C containing your person’s name around December 16th. Your gifts can be sent to the big guy any time between the moment you learn your recipient and December 31st! The date of the big reveal will be announced shortly. :D

Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:09 am
Aley says...

What are some of your favorite books? Lord Valentine's Castle
What are a few notable hobbies of yours? Painting, you can see some of my art here, poetry, and since it will sometimes hurt, horseback riding.
What’s your favorite color? Silver
What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.? Video Games: Harvest Moon, Pokemon. Movies: Princess Bride. Television Shows: BBC Sherlock, Dr. Who, Supernatural
What is your favorite music genre? Folk
Where do you spend the most time on YWS? Chat
Anything else you’d like to add: I love getting reviews on my poetry.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:13 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

I'll join in the fun. :3

What are some of your favorite books?
-Deathless by Catherynne M Valente
-A Separate Peace by John Knowles
What are a few notable hobbies of yours?
-Making music
-Video Games
What’s your favorite color?
-Blue
What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.?
-25th Hour
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower
-Pokemon
-Parks & Recreation
-Breaking Bad?
What is your favorite music genre?
-Indie Rock
Where do you spend the most time on YWS?
-Poetry Forums!
Anything else you’d like to add:
-I really, really love dogs.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:23 am
AfterTheStorm says...

What are some of your favorite books? The Harry Potter books, the original Percy Jackson and the Olympians, a Picture of Dorian Grey, Les Miserables, the Graveyard Book, the Fellowship of the Ring, the Silmarillion, Fly by Night (by Frances Hardinge),
Pride and Prejudice, the Hobbit, any of the Chronicles of Narnia books, Here There Be Dragons, the Phantom of the Opera, Catching Fire,
the Maze Runner, and any of the Song of Ice and Fire novels. I know I'm missing some books off of this list accidentally though.

What are a few notable hobbies of yours? Golf, writing (duh), drawing, gaming, tennis, soccer, composing music, playing flute and piano, painting, shopping... and just being creative. :D

What’s your favorite color? Light blue. But not too pale. You know what I'm saying?

What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.? Movies- High Anxiety, Star Wars Episode V, The Fellowship of the Ring, Dead Poets Society, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban, Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast. Shows- Doctor Who, Blacklist, Psych, Sherlock, Monk, Black Butler, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural. Games- Portal, Portal 2, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Don't Starve, Assassin's Creed, Minecraft, King's Quest. Musicals- Phantom of the Opera (literally love), Les Mis, Wicked.

What is your favorite music genre? I like classical (especially Tchaikovsky cos he's bae), but love movie soundtracks, too. Oh, and Mumford and Sons is great. And Dotan.

Where do you spend the most time on YWS? Storybooks. :3

Anything else you’d like to add: Nope. I've written too much as is. xD
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:47 am
View Likes
veeren says...

What are some of your favorite books? Bridge to Terabithia is literally the greatest story ever
What are a few notable hobbies of yours? i like to read and write and sleep and stare at computer screens
What’s your favorite color? GREEEEEEEEEN
What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.? as far shows, the walking dead is my all time favorite as of right now. bridge to terabithia is the greatest movie ever. and i dont like to limit myself to one type of game.
What is your favorite music genre? reggae cause its chill
Where do you spend the most time on YWS? on the internet
Anything else you’d like to add: i love you all
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:52 am
View Likes
elysian says...

Since I don't have a lot of experience with books I'll name off the normal ones.

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry
"The Pearl" by John Steinbeck
"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury

Dance
Writing
Music
Baking

Blue or Red or Green or Purple xD Sometimes yellow.

The Great Gatsby of course. :)
Twilight (is ashamed)
TIM BURTON <3
Harry Potter series <3333
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

TV shows I'm obsessed with Once Upon a Time and Pretty Little Liars.

Alternative

Storybooks and people's walls xD

urmmmmm. I'm weird and I like creative stuff :) BE CREATIVE,
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:58 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

What are some of your favorite books? The Host by Stephanie Meyer, If I Stay by Gayle Forman, Thieves of Heaven by Richard Doestch, and The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

What are a few notable hobbies of yours? Uh... Reading, writing, talking with friends... I'm so boring. Next question?

What’s your favorite color? Blue.

- Movies: The Cabin In The Woods, Stephen King's IT, The Little Mermaid
- TV Shows: The Walking Dead, Once Upon A Time, Breaking Bad, Sherlock

What is your favorite music genre? I can't pick.

Where do you spend the most time on YWS? Lately? ... Lurking. >_> Doing mod stuff, mostly.

Anything else you’d like to add: Don't underestimate my love for food. Send me food pls.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:00 am
Zolen says...

Long list so lets just say I tend to stick to the fantasy genre and avoid the romance and realistic based stuff.

Drawing, writing, trying to make video games.

Red and Blue
Also too long, I prefer american cartoons like Tom and Jerry more then anything for tv shows, the only exception in animation of any sort is stuff made by studio gibli. As far as movies in general though, comedy.

Videogames, fantasy based games mostly in genre but anything with clever art styles tends to get my attention however I am more of a story over gameplay and graphics kind of person.

Rock

according to posting statistics its a tossup between SD&D and randomosity

I am a god like entity.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:06 am
Ciblio says...

I wanna do it! I need to participate in more things on here, anyways. <3

What are some of your favorite books? Linger, the Gone series, Sweep, The Hunger Games series, The Mortal Instrument series.
What are a few notable hobbies of yours? Collecting seashells anytime I'm around water.
What’s your favorite color? Turquoise.
What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.? Dishonored is my favorite video game, The Walking Dead is amazing, and I absolutely love the Princess Bride.
What is your favorite music genre? I love all kinds of music.
Where do you spend the most time on YWS? In chat, participating in SB's, and working on posts.
Anything else you’d like to add: You're amazing, whoever you are.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

240 Reviews

Reviews: 240
Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:14 am
AdmiralKat says...

Gone series, The Selection series, The Giver, Uglies series, and I am a genius of unspeakable evil and I want to be your class president
Reading, writing, studying random and useless facts, puzzles, running, lego robotics and playing my clarinet.
Um...yellow! No pink! No blue! No red! Ughh. I don't know.
My favorite tv show is Studio C, only tv show I'm willing to watch. My favorite video games include Super Smash Bros, Freddi Fish(:P) and puzzles. Movies are nice. :P
Pop
In the magical world of afk or the home screen.
I'm a tree. @Wolfare1
Whale. Whale. Whale. What do we have here?
Some scurvy dog looking at my post, eh?

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:04 am
View Likes
Willard says...

What are some of your favorite books? The Stranger by Albert Camus and High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
What are a few notable hobbies of yours? Movies, reading, writing, Debate
What’s your favorite color? Alabaster
What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.? Freddy Got Fingered, Breaking Away, Jeopardy!, Mortal Kombat
What is your favorite music genre? Indie folk punk
Where do you spend the most time on YWS? Chat
Anything else you’d like to add: Anything that has a sense of realistic humor that isn't over the top or cheesy

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:20 am
View Likes
Cheetah says...

What are some of your favorite books? If I stay, Harry Potter, and The Giver
What are a few notable hobbies of yours? Reading, writing, sketching
What’s your favorite color? Blue
What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.? Les Miserables (so much love), anything and everything from the Marvel universe, and I recently started Once Upon a Time
What is your favorite music genre? Pop
Where do you spend the most time on YWS? I spend time reading works, and I'm thinking of reviewing again soon.
Anything else you’d like to add: Bleep Blorp :)
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

I loved the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling, Across the Universe by Beth Revis, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Selection by Kiera Cass, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Maze Runner by James Dashner etc.
ART ART ART ART ART! Short Stories, Poetry, Singing, Dancing (a little)
I really like a lot of colors. I prefer purples and greens and blues but black and white is good too.
I'm in love with Shailene Woodley, especially Divergent and TFioS. I love the Hunger Games movies (have not yet seen Mockingjay but I read the books), I also love the teen dramas like Switched at Birth, Pretty Little Liars (I haven't seen more than season 1 of either show, so don't you dare spoil it for me). I love Lost more than life itself. Spiderman movies were great, I like musicals, especially. Perks of Being a Wallflower,
All different kinds. I listen to a few songs in different genres like pop, indie, rock, alternative, oldies, etc. My fav band is Florence + The Machine. I run my high school acapella group so I love acapella music but I hate Pentatonix.
Chatbar and my portfolio. And I love Squills and my storybooks as well as writing shorts and poetry.
I'm pretty laid back. Just a hint for whoever is assigned to me, little handmade cards and things go a long way for me. I would much rather receive a handmade card or collage that was captured in a photo than get a funny gif or a big extravagant whatever. So even a little thought goes a long way but in the long run, I will love whatever you choose to give me :)
Last edited by Gravity on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:37 am
View Likes
manisha says...

What are some of your favorite books? Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, The Little Prince, Harry Potter!
What are a few notable hobbies of yours? writing(lol), sketching, phtography, and everything crazy
What’s your favorite color? I like colors in combinations. Pink and grey. The cloudless sky blue with the desert sand yellow, green and blue. Yeah.
What are a few of your favorite movies, television shows, video games, etc.? Dead Poets Society, Inception, Mulan(the Disney movie), Tangled, Pirates of the Caribbean, Iron man <3
House!, Game of Thrones, Modern Family, Sherlock!
What is your favorite music genre? Can't pick one.
Where do you spend the most time on YWS? People's tab, chat :D
Anything else you’d like to add: I love unconventional things XD
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:04 am
Dracula says...

Harry Potter, Gone (Michael Grant), TMI, Percy Jackson, Hunger Games, Divergent, A Series of Unfortunate Events and John Green/Rainbow Rowell sort of books.
Erm... reading, playing Minecraft, listening to music, writing random stuff and watching television shows.
Ballloooooooo (That's blue, btw)
Doctor Who, Sherlock, my fave books into movies (except Percy Jackson), Harry Potter needs a second mention, Young Dracula and Merlin.
Rock, I guess. 60s/70s suit me well. My favourite bands are The Four Seasons and ABBA.
Umm... the home page? I dunno, Randomosity in the forums, I guess.
Sorry for the giant list, I have a lot of favourite things. And I'm Australian, so I'm not spelling favourite wrong.
Last edited by Dracula on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann