Worst Gift Ever Exchange (2022)

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:11 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

The
Worst Holiday Gift Exchange Ever

One of my favorite parts of the Holiday Season is those goofy gift exchanges where people are meant to exchange gifts that leave a little to be desired. Incomplete doodles or horribly mishapen portraits, unedited first-draft songs, weird-mishmashed photo-edits, acrostics with a few misspellings, or awkward fanfictions from fandoms no one recognizes... you get the idea! :) We've done these "Worst Gift Exchanges" a few years now, and always with a lot of fun and hillariousness - so let's give it a try again!

The great thing about a Worst Gift Exchange is there's zero pressure, absolutely none at all, so you have complete freedom for your creativity and humor to fly! Please note this is a different event than Secret Santa, but it is similar, in that you'll be assigned a person to give a gift to after completing the form below, but this gift is a bit different because the gift is not expected to be your finest work, in fact if you choose it can be comically bad and cringe-worthy!

To participate: You fill out a form by the end of the day December 21 (11 pm EST), you're assigned a person, then you make them a hilariously bad gift by January 10th which you send to me in a PM and then I'll send over to them. If you want to give extra gifts to those you aren't assigned to that's alright, go ahead and send them over to me as well, but you're only required to make a gift for the person you're assigned!

A few rules:

1) No real items will be exchanged... just YWS things ie. stories, poems, songs, picture edits, reviews etc.

2) The gift can be bad, but not BAD ... no swearing, no nudity, nothing gory or violent or blatantly insulting or harassing. All YWS-site rules apply, keep it family-friendly.

3) You can tell the recipient of the gift who the gift is from if you want to after the gift has been delivered - > when it's complete just send it in a PM to me.

4) You are responsible for completing the gift for the person you are assigned if you sign up for this. So don't sign up if you can't complete a gift for someone. If for some reason you can't manage a gift send me a PM and I'll help you write a haiku with miscounted syllables or something!

5) Forms should be filled out below & additional questions can be asked in this thread.

Gift Assignments will be out Dec 22
Gifts Due by Jan 10

If you have questions send me a PM or just post in this thread.

If you want to participate, please fill out the form below:

Code: Select all
[b]What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) [/b][i]remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you[/i].
[b]What are some things you love? [/b](fandoms, books, music, themes, colors etc)
[b]What's your favorite part about YWS?[/b]
[b]What's your favorite work you've put on YWS[/b]
[b]What would you love to see in a worst-gift?[/b]
[b]What's a strange fact about yourself?[/b]
[b]Anything else you want to say?[/b]
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:59 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Oh you bet

What are a few things you hate?

-- Disney Star Wars
-- Most of modern Hollywood
-- Mary Sues
-- Most music made after 2010
-- People who don't take responsibility for their actions
-- Flaky people
-- Raisins
-- Onions
-- Mosquitos
-- Flies
-- Windy weather
-- Winter
-- Cloudy weather for more than two days in a row
-- When it gets dark at 4pm

What are some things you love?

-- Writing
-- Movies
-- Vintage fashion
-- Traveling
-- Sunsets
-- Nature
-- Good food
-- The Beatles
-- X-Men
-- Scented candles

What's your favorite part about YWS? Its significance in so many of our lives and how it helps us become better writers, and bond over our shared passion
What's your favorite work you've put on YWS? I am quite partial to First Love
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Be clever, be creative, and most of all, make me laugh! Check my Secret Santa if you need more.

Anything else you want to say?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:00 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

This looks mighty fun!

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) Really bright neon colors, the "I don't want to be a chosen one!!!" trope, the standard damsel in distress trope, and historical inaccuracies in media without purpose or merit.
What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music, themes, colors etc) Fantasy, Percy Jackson, Gothic Poetry, history, dark teals and turquoise, Indie rock and folk, and alternative music.
What's your favorite part about YWS? It's existence. My little gremlin friends. Roleplay tab.
What's your favorite work you've put on YWS That would be a tie between my poem Crop Top and my monologue The Stars.
What would you love to see in a worst gift? I want something that either makes my eyes bleed or fills me with so much confusion it haunts me. If you give me both, I will be very impressed.
What's a strange fact about yourself? I bounce on my toes when I walk. Do with that what you will.
Anything else you want to say? Have fun~
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:03 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

What are a few things you hate? colors that clash, super bright reds and yellows and pinks. I wouldn’t say I hate any literature tropes, although I do like to make fun of them sometimes. =P Random grudges/pet peeves: people who specifically say they'll do something in a group project and then just. don't. with no prior notice. -_- But as for something you could use for a worst gift... things being just slightly off-center. xD Or maybe random stray marks across drawings.
What are some things you love? Percy Jackson (especially the Heroes of Olympus series =D), mint chocolate chip ice cream, Spanish pop music (Morat, Sebastian Yatra...), mint green, rain, autumn
What's your favorite part about YWS? the community. I am honestly so fortunate to have met everyone here. Ahh! Love you all :') <3
What's your favorite work you've put on YWS? ​The Sorceress, the Knight, and the Duck Stew =P
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? ahh xD I would love to see a hilariously bad drawing. Make me laugh with how much of an epic disaster it is XD
What's a strange fact about yourself? I always get holes in my right sock. Never my left one.
Anything else you want to say? excited and a little terrified to see whatever you make! ^-^
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:20 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Omg love it
What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you.
- that one professor like 10 years ago who gave me a zero for an assignment I in fact turned in because the movie I used for said assignment wasn't out yet (even though I ASKED if I could use a movie that was still in theaters)
- vegetables in general but mostly green beans
- how long I have to wait for S2 Our Flag Means Death and S3 Only Murders in the Building

What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music, themes, colors etc)
- Our Flag Means Death
- Only Murders in the Building
- the music of Groundhog Day: The Musical
- the music of Come From Away
- Talia Hibbert's Brown Sisters trilogy
- Travis Baldree's Legends & Lattes
- nature in general, trees and birds in particular
- naturey greens and blues, anything in the aqua family, rose gold

What's your favorite part about YWS?
all the support and hype for each other in the people tab, as well as through official avenues like featured member!

What's your favorite work you've put on YWS
is it too obvious to say The Remarkable Retirement of Edna Fisher, aka The Chosen Grandma

What would you love to see in a worst-gift?
anything! I'm sure whatever you do will be perfectly awful, and I can't wait to see it~

What's a strange fact about yourself?
I love cemeteries.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:56 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

- glitter
    - neon colors
    - being cold
    - horror flicks
    - burnt toast
    - liminal spaces specifically experienced in dreams lmao
    - poorly executed redemption arcs
    - all Adobe products
    - bugs when they are in my HOME. but like. specifically moths and roaches
    - nuts in my chocolate :/
    - the sound of nails scraping on chalkboards or knives against plates
    - anything that isn't well designed aka poor color theory, things off center, too many font uses. comic sans
    - puppies and kitties and horsies 
    - calm neutral and subdued colors
    - plants! green!
    - the sound of rain
    - being warm
    - cute stickers
    - glassware and ceramics
    - any bathroom related humor
    - classical music and indie singer-songwriter stuff lol
    - Avatar the Last Airbender the TV series
    - the people :^)!! mah frens
    - roleplaying fr
    - something cringy funny silly goofy or simply unbelievably cursed. anything's good
    - I like to sniff people
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:59 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc)
- soccer
- Shakespeare
- people who sit on top of (not in) cars
- enemies to lovers
- neon pink/purple/yellow
- Julia Roberts (I don't know why, just her general vibes, y'know)
- Christmas music
- cats
- those old people birthday cards with the bad jokes
- baseball
- cemeteries
- old yearbooks
- old cars
- 80s boarding school movies (School Ties > Dead Poets Society)
- my dog Bean
- the forums or green room!
- definitely not my favorite thing that I've written, but this essay holds a special place in my heart
- everything
- I volunteered at a cemetery over the summer and have taken piano lessons for ten/eleven years.
- I look forward to seeing your creation :)

1227 Reviews

Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:35 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Alrighty, thank you all for signing up! Everyone's assignments have been sent! Let me know if you have any questions ~ :santa:

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:14 pm
AkuRashomon says...

- liars
- bugs
- frogs
- unclean homes/bathrooms
- foil
- bitten nails
- really, really short shorts (clothes)
- the sound of drilling

- my dog
- books
- the smell of coffee
- the sound of rain and fire crackling
- cats (yeah, I have a dog but I love cats)
- good freshly painted nails
- oversized hoodies
- wolfcuts
- a cozy bed
- good friends

when people get to share their opinions about my work and share their work as well

my first fanfiction, My Dear Friend

i don't know. even in real life no one has gave me one

What's something strange about yourself?
I am left-handed and I put the milk before my cereal, I guess.

Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful day/night everybody.
rashomon go brr

she/her

used to be loveissourgrapes

1227 Reviews

Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:13 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@loveissourgrapes - you signed up a little late for this event, I'll make sure to give you a tag next time we run one! <3

Did anyone not get their gift? If so, please send me a PM! Chances are I just lost track of my PMs during the friendsgiving event. Also feel free to reveal who gave each other what if you like! Thanks for participating, there were some REALLY really funny horrible gifts this round xD @Elinor @WeepingWisteria @soundofmind @BluesClues @looseleaf @Spearmint

Time is money, money is power, power is pizza, and pizza is knowledge!
— April, Parks & Rec