The WORST Gift Exchange Ever 2021

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:53 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

The
Worst Holiday Gift Exchange Ever

Sometimes it's fun to do those gift exchanges where the gifts.... leave a little to be desired. Incomplete doodles or horribly mishapen portraits, unedited first-draft songs, weird-mishmashed photo-edits, acrostics with a few misspellings, or awkward fanfictions from fandoms no one recognizes... you get the idea! :) Last year we tried to do one of these Worst Gift Exchanges and it turned out great with much horrendous hilarity. So we're trying it again!

The great thing about a Worst Gift Exchange is there's zero pressure, absolutely none at all, so you have complete freedom for your creativity and humor to fly! Please note this is a different event than Secret Santa, but it is similar, in that you'll be assigned a person to give a gift to after completing the form below, but this gift is a bit different because the gift is not expected to be your finest work, in fact if you choose it can be comically bad and cringe-worthy!

To participate: You fill out a form by the end of the day December 12 (11 pm EST), you're assigned a person, then you make them a hilariously bad gift by January 10th which you send to me in a PM and then I'll send over to them. If you want to give extra gifts to those you aren't assigned to that's alright, go ahead and send them over to me as well, but you're only required to make a gift for the person you're assigned!

A few rules:

1) No real items will be exchanged... just YWS things ie. stories, poems, songs, picture edits, reviews etc.

2) The gift can be bad, but not BAD ... no swearing, no nudity, nothing gory or violent or blatantly insulting or harassing. All YWS-site rules apply, keep it family-friendly.

3) You can tell the recipient of the gift who the gift is from if you want to after the gift has been delivered - > when it's complete just send it in a PM to me.

4) You are responsible for completing the gift for the person you are assigned if you sign up for this. So don't sign up if you can't complete a gift for someone. If for some reason you can't manage a gift send me a PM and I'll help you write a haiku with miscounted syllables or something!

5) Forms should be filled out below & additional questions can be asked in this thread.

Gift Assignments will be out Dec 15
Gifts Due by Jan 10

If you want to participate, please fill out the form below:

Code: Select all
[b]What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) [/b][i]remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you[/i].
[b]What are some things you love? [/b](fandoms, books, music, themes, colors etc)
[b]What's your favorite part about YWS?[/b]
[b]What's your favorite work you've put on YWS[/b]
[b]What would you love to see in a worst-gift?[/b]
[b]Anything else you want to say?[/b]
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:12 am
View Likes
Ignorance says...

YOOO IM FIRST B)

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you. Mustard yellow, heavy angst, when there’s a tiny space in a drawing where it isn’t colored in, dry paint, people arguing, global warming
What are some things you love? Thomas Sanders, Sanders Sides, Amphibia, The Owl House, Undertale, Deltarune, Steven Universe, lavender, relaxation, cats
What's your favorite part about YWS? Roleplaying :)
What's your favorite work you've put on YWS Definitely my old roleplays with my friend meloncalling. (If you see anything titled Reserved 2 or something of the sort, that’s the rp ;))
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Something with at least one of the fandoms I’m in!
Anything else you want to say? ur mom lmao
Do you how do?
I use any pronouns :)
Get in losers, we're going napping

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

What are a few things you hate?

-- Cinderella (2021)
-- Most of modern Hollywood
-- Mary Sues
-- Most music made after 2010
-- People who don't take responsibility for their actions
-- Raisins
-- Onions
-- Mosquitos
-- Flies
-- Windy weather
-- When it gets dark at 4pm
-- Cloudy weather for more than two days in a row
-- How long winter lasts

What are some things you love?

-- Writing
-- Movies
-- Vintage fashion
-- Traveling
-- Sunsets
-- Nature
-- Good food
-- The Beatles
-- X-Men
-- Scented candles

What's your favorite part about YWS? Getting to meet all of you and bond over our shared passion for writing and storytelling
What's your favorite work you've put on YWS? Either First Love, Earth to the Moon or Just Before New Years
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Be clever and make me laugh! I'd love to see you be creative with any of things I both love and hate! Check my Secret Santa posting if you need more.

Anything else you want to say?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:03 am
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you.
Snape from Harry Potter, the trope where the character talks bad about themselves in front of a mirror while simultaneously describing how gorgeous they are, romances with no real reason behind them, love triangles with no depth behind them, transphobia/homophobia/sexism/racism, overly pink and purple “girl” things, the Percy Jackson movies, horror movies

What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music, themes, colors etc)
The rainbowwwww, nature imagery, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Thomas Sanders/Sanders Sides, my fellow gay and trans peeps, Supernatural, House (tv show), Psych (tv show), FOB, MCR, P!ATD, dark aesthetic, that thing in books where a character is just bone-chillingly evil with no regrets but they’re also pretty and manipulative and make you conflicted, good writing

What's your favorite part about YWS?
Storybooksssssss!

What's your favorite work you've put on YWS
I have to say the work I’m proudest of is definitely Rite of Passage if we’re talking in the literary corner. In terms of across the site, I couldn’t narrow it down from the storybooks I’m in, but On Stolen Wings is always near and dear to my heart.

What would you love to see in a worst-gift?
Bad writing on purpose, feel free to include literally every single thing I don’t like and make it funny with how bad it is (except for discrimination stuff please don’t use that lol), basically as long as it is funny I will be good with it lol.

I probably wrote way too much but this is fun and I think I’m gonna enjoy it.
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:07 am
View Likes
Shady says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you.
- Puns
- Text that is slightly misaligned
- Broken tables (Oh no)
- Neon colors
- Minnows
- Cliches
- Dad jokes
- Winter weather
- Christmas music
- Figuring out my gender identity
- Waking up in the mornings
- How full the Green Room is right now
- ...misusing...ellipses...
- Incorrect apostrophe's
- Capitalizing Every Single Word In A Sentence For No Apparent Reason
- Overcrowding images/inappropriate white space
- Biting ice cream/cold things

- The person reading this post <3
- LOTR
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Rainbows
- Blue palettes
- Fish shh no one knows
- Biology in general
- Angsty poetry
- RPing
- TikTok (good soup)
- Random doodles
- The NaNa Wars
- NaNoWriMo
- Chaos
- Hamilton

I feel like it's cliche to say the people, even though it's the truth, so I'mma go with RPs and/or instigating chaos (#classified)

I AM VERY ENTHUSIASTIC
Higher Education It's literally only 7 likes away from being in the top 100 of all time and it's so painful

I honestly am just hoping for something that's funny xD

I bow to my chaos goddess @Carina and she only will I serve
Also team #nanaveer def won the #chaoswars

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:12 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you. - Yellow, Professor Ten Brinken from a Story called "Alraune", wouldn´t say I hate it, but I´m not very fond of fanfiction and soppy love poems, Twilight, spiders (actually only the giant house spider), People that are selfish, that one random guy that yelled at me when I was like eight years old without any reason xD

In order not to put down the same thing as in SS here are a few other things: The Legend of Zelda and Nier Video Games, Harry Potter (not so much anymore, but still), Rebecca (book), Studio Ghibli films, Caravan Palace, Die Antwoord (both bands), dark colours, winter, darkness, psychology, weird and random facts to annoy people, dinosaurs, astrology, geopolitics, swimming, riding the motorbike, reading some gothic novel near the fireplace with a sleeping cat and dog nearby.

What's your favorite part about YWS? Here is no pressure about your literary work. It´s like a secret café you go in the evening to chill a bit.

What's your favorite work you've put on YWS There are some chapters from Longing of a Maiden Rose that I really like. That´s actually the only bigger work I have.

What would you love to see in a worst-gift? A yellow spider with a professor title that yells a love poem of some character of a weird fanfiction cross-over. I really don´t know, but something like that would probably be weird enough xD

Anything else you want to say? I don´t know why I signed in here...
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

218 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 218
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:19 pm
View Likes
creaturefeature says...

What are a few things you hate?
~ watermelon
~ licorice
~ adam sandler
~ chipping nail polish
~ uhhh bad grammar
~ astrology
~ my allergies
~ tumblr AND twitter
~ prose
~ flashing lights
What are some things you love?
~ poetry
~ motorcycles
~ ghost stories i guess ?? idk
~ i like most things horror related tbh
~ also i like cats kinda
What's your favorite part about YWS? me
What's your favorite work you've put on YWS? this maybe
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Unneeded Capitalization
Anything else you want to say? uhh no actual flashing things please
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:53 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc)

I hate pink, purple, and neon orange and green. I don't really like Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner, and Emma Stone (I just dislike them for some reason, I don't think they're bad people). I don't like enemies to friends/lovers and I really hate any love triangles like in the Hunger Games.

I'm lazy so here's my Secret Santa list

The People (so People's Tab).

this

Anything, really. Just don't make it good.

Happy Holidays!

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:59 pm
View Likes
stygianmoon17 says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you. I absolutely hate the colour pink, like, bright, girly, flashy, pink. I hate anything romance related, anything cheesy like "enemies to lovers," "bad boy falls in love with nerd"..
What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music, themes, colors etc) I love red. I love Genshin Impact and Attack on Titan, and pretty much any show that isn't based around romance :D
What's your favorite part about YWS? everything, it's a great site !
What's your favorite work you've put on YWS erm (checks profile) my poems ?
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? a reaaaally cheesy romance story. Bonus points if it had cheesy dialogue too !
Anything else you want to say? have fun making this :D
-Be careful, no man that had ever ventured there has ever come back alive
-Good thing I'm not a man then

465 Reviews

Reviews: 465
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:41 am
View Likes
starlitmind says...

UHHHHH I don't necessarily hate any colours, but bright, neon, unreadable text can be annoying xD oh wait I hate exams though and tests, OH AND GETTING THE WRONG THEIR THEY'RE THERE / YOUR YOU'REalthough I'm guilty of it too, it happens >.> uhh it kind of annoys me when people don't say thank you after I hold the door open lol. OH and people wasting food or water 0.0 spiders are terrible sorry, burnt mac & cheese is really sad. when people say poetry has to have certain rules. pop quizzes. lack of potatoes.

I LOVE YOU :)

lol, I love potatoes + poetry + celestial stuff + pens + SOAP + fuzzy socks + piano + glitter + classical music omg + GMO + YWS + chocolate lol + ice cream + the colour blue

YOU ARE MY FAVOURITE PART OF YWS :) and of course, EVERYONE ONE YWS. and the poetry section of course

definitely this

I GIVE NO SPECIFICATIONS JUST DO WHATEVER YOU WANT AS LONG AS IT MAKES YOU HAPPY YAYYYYY ^_^

I'm glad you're here https :)
.--. --- - .- - ---

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:57 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

What are a few things you hate? (colours, characters, literature tropes, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you.
- really pale, washed-out yellows and pinks
- really bright, jarring neon greens and blues
- unNecessarily inconsistent Capitalization and, way too many, commas,.
- Comic Sans
- the texture and sound of frozen things (like that frosty stuff on the outside of frozen ice cream containers? i. hate. it.)
- spelling colour, favourite, neighbour, etc. withot the u
- squash, celery, cooked carrots, eggs by themself
- when people go on about how gross they think mushrooms or brussel sprouts are (they are DELISH folks)

What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music, themes, colours etc)
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Gina Linetti is a queen <3)
- Schitt's Creek
- music by Dodie, Orla Gartland, and Julia Nunes
- Hank Green
- deep, rich shades of blue, cool greens, cool reds, rusty oranges, cool purples
- rainbow aesthetics
- angsty poetry (and just poetry, period.)
- music theory + music history
- the French horn, the piano, tone chimes, boomwhackers, djembes

What's your favourite part about YWS?
My favourite part is the people and sense of community <3 Followed closely by NaPo and all the poetry happenings on the site, followed yet again closely by tagbook chaos.

What's your favourite work you've put on YWS
Oh that's tricky! But this one is one of my favourites!

Appalling aesthetic, tragic lack of logic, nonexistent grammar, really anything that you think would make my soul cringe :')

Just nothing actually offensive in the gift, please! I can't wait to see what atrocious thing I get <3
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

1227 Reviews

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:57 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Ignorance @Elinor @winterwolf0100 @MailicedeNamedy @ShadowVyper @looseleaf @stygianmoon17 @tweezers @starlitmind @Seirre

Hi everyone, thank you for signing up, this is going to be fun! :santa: Everyone should have been sent the person that they are supposed to be making the worst gift ever for. If you didn't get a PM with your pairing, please let me know ASAP

The deadline to PM me the gift for your worst gift ever recipient is January 10 so you have plenty of time - try to be secret about who your recipient is until after the 10th, then it's totally fine to reveal who you are if you'd like.

If you have any questions or concerns please reach out. Have fun creating these! I didn't get paired up so I might just make a few of you horrible gifts too so ~ watch out for that ~ ;)

1227 Reviews

Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:30 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Ignorance @Elinor @winterwolf0100 @MailicedeNamedy @ShadowVyper @looseleaf @stygianmoon17 @tweezers @starlitmind @Seirre

Here's your one week reminder that you have one more week to finish up those Worst Gifts Ever (if you haven't already sent them in!) if you know you won't be able to finish your worst gift by January 10, please let me know before that date. :] Thank you to everyone who has already sent in your gifts! So far there have been some really really funny ones!

1227 Reviews

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:08 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

~ RoSes are Red vIoletS are BLue
Thank You for Participating in this holiday activity
Hope you enjoyed this Haiku
~

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for participating in the WORST GIFT EXCHANGE this year! I had so much fun getting to witness all of your talent and creativity - you are a funny bunch! And there were so many hilarious gifts exchanged. I really hope you all enjoyed participating as much as I did.

If you would like to reveal who you are to each other, or claim the glory for the gift you made, please feel free to now! Happy New Year!

(Also if somehow you did not receive your gift please message me asap and I will correct that).

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:39 am
View Likes
Ignorance says...

@Elinor hey! I made your gift!!

Also who made mine cuz that was AMAZING-
Do you how do?
I use any pronouns :)