z

Young Writers Society

Secret Santa Questions & Discussions

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:57 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

This thread is for questions and discussions regarding Secret Santa - post here and @Liminality and I will endeavour to answer! Don't post your signup here, do that in the Secret Santa thread.

Please remember that there should be no discussing anything revealing, such as who your recipient is! Santas will stay a secret until the event is over :smt001

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:50 am
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

Here’s a question because others may have it: if you cannot do anything like drawing just because you are not good at that but the person you get specifically says no to something like writing, what’re some good general ideas of things you could do?
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:13 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

@winterwolf0100 Hmm . . . If you don't want to do a drawing, maybe something like a collage would be good? You could make an aesthetic of things they like using Pexels pictures, for instance. If they're not opposed to music, maybe a custom playlist?
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:52 am
View Likes
Omni says...

@winterwolf0100 I also am not good at drawing XD but as Lim said, a collage is a cool idea, and you can always try your hand at image/gif editing. Canva is a wonderful place to start and experiment with!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:55 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I've seen people do - custom book recommendation, playlists, or collections of quotes, compliments, avvie / banner edits, profile designs, songs, bookmark designs, collage or picture edits. a poem or quote of their own with some fancy formatting, or a favorite author / character quote on top of an aesthetic picture. Also even if you're not good at drawing, doodles are sometimes still fun to receive, I think it's the thought that counts! :) Lots of ideas! Also I second Omni in saying Canva is a great program!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:04 pm
View Likes
D says...

Hey! I'm D and new here. I enjoyed reading about the Secret Santa and would love to participate! But I didn't quite get how we're going to give the gifts? I was exploring the YWS site and came across a Gifts section with stickers (?) but I also saw other writers mentioning written works and art as gifts. I think I get how to gift the stickers(?) but how would I go about giving a poem I wrote as a gift? I did think of the Private Messages but I'm not sure if everyone is okay with that?
I'm sorry if this was all over the place, haha!
-D
And so, being young and dipped in folly
I fell in love with melancholy,

― Edgar Allan Poe,

33 Reviews

Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:21 pm
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

Hey there @D! I think I can answer this question but I’m sure others will chime in as well. The actual gift section is through stickers and points, but those aren’t typically included in secret Santa! Secret Santa is about creating something specifically based on the person’s information they submit. That can be a collage, a short story, a poem, a drawing, a song playlist, a book recommendation list— anything you can think of, really! Most people will appreciate it as long as they can tell that you put time and effort into it.

Since it’s an online platform, real gifts aren’t going to be exchanged, so no asking/giving out an address or personal information (and if someone asks for that, tell one of the moderators.) When you’re finished, I believe you’ll end up using Private Messages but you won’t send it directly to them. You’ll send it to the person running the event. (I can’t remember who that is off the top of my head, but they’re the person who made the original post in that thread explaining all the rules.)

Hope this helps! : D
he/she/they

7 Reviews

Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:41 pm
View Likes
D says...

Thanks so much @winterwolf0100 ! That does clear things up!
Just to be clear, say I get a person A and decide to draw something. I would send that as a private message to the coordinator mentioning it's for A?

― Edgar Allan Poe,

33 Reviews

Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:38 pm
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

Yes, I believe so @D! @IcyFlame is the person who is running this and will definitely know the answer when she’s able to look!
he/she/they

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:02 am
View Likes
Omni says...

@D I am not IcyFlame but yes, winter is correct. Either IcyFlame or Liminality will send you a Private Message (PM) to tell you who your secret santa is. You'll then complete your gift and send it as a reply back to that PM. So if you were to draw something, you'd save it as a picture and send it as a picture in the PM, with a message of your choice for Icy/Lim to send off to your secret santa. After everything is over (when Icy/Lim says it's okay to do so) you can contact your secret santa if you so wish to let them know you made the gift.

Please let me know if this answers your question ^^
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:51 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

@D yep, winter and Omni are right! After the 15th of December, Icy and I will match up everyone who registered on the thread. Then, you'll be tasked to PM the organisers (aka Icy and myself) with the gift, which we will then PM to the recipient. Please don't send it to the recipient yourself, as that would ruin the 'secret' in secret santa! You can tell your recipient you were their secret santa after the whole event is over if you so choose.

If you need further help in figuring out how to send things like drawings and poems:

1. drawings can be uploaded to an image hosting website such as imgbb.com. YWS runs on BBcode, so select that option when copying and pasting the code into your PM.

2. poems, short stories or anything textual can just be popped into the PM directly.

3. if you're say, recording a song for your recipient, vocaroo.com is a really easy way to record anonymously, and the vocaroo link given can be copied into the PM.

Does that make sense? c:
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

7 Reviews

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:56 pm
View Likes
D says...

Thanks so much at @winterwolf0100 ! No worries! I think I get how it works now!

― Edgar Allan Poe,

7 Reviews

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:59 pm
View Likes
D says...

@Omni
That makes it so much clearer - thank you! It answers my question very well, indeed!

― Edgar Allan Poe,

7 Reviews

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:01 pm
View Likes
D says...

@Liminality
Definitely! That makes so much sense - I was a bit confused about the formats earlier.
Thank you for clarifying!

― Edgar Allan Poe,

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau