The Worst Gift Exchange

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:05 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

The New Year
Worst Gift Exchange Ever

Sometimes it's fun to do those gift exchanges where the gifts.... leave a little to be desired. Incomplete doodles or portraits, unedited first-draft songs, weird-mishmashed photo-edits, acrostics with a few misspellings, or awkward fanfictions from fandoms no one recognizes... you get the idea! :)

The great thing about a Worst Gift Exchange is there's no pressure, absolutely none at all, so you have complete freedom for your creativity and hilarity to fly! If you want to take part in this fun exchange it will be somewhat similar to the YWS Secret Santa Exchange, in that you'll be assigned a person to give a gift to after completing the form below, but this gift is a bit different because the gift is not expected to be your finest work, in fact if you choose it can be comically bad! You fill out a form by the end of the day January 9 (11 pm CDT), you're assigned a person, then you make them a hilariously bad gift by January 31st which you send to me in a PM and then I'll send over to them. If you want to give extra gifts to those you aren't assigned to that's alright, go ahead and send them over to me as well, but you're only required to make a gift for the person you're assigned!

A few rules:

1) No real items will be exchanged... just YWS things ie. stories, poems, songs, picture edits, reviews etc.

2) The gift can be bad, but not BAD ... no swearing, no nudity, nothing gory or violent or blatantly insulting or harassing. All YWS-site rules apply, keep it family-friendly.

3) You can tell the recipient of the gift who the gift is from if you want to after the gift has been delivered - > when it's complete just send it in a PM to me.

4) You are responsible for completing the gift for the person you are assigned if you sign up for this. So don't sign up if you can't complete a gift for someone. If for some reason you can't manage a gift send me a PM and I'll help you write a haiku with miscounted syllables or something!

5) Forms should be filled out below & additional questions can be asked in this thread.

Gift Assignments will be out Jan 10
Gifts Due by Jan 31

If you want to participate, please fill out the form below:

Code: Select all
[b]What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) [/b][i]remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you[/i].
[b]What are some things you love? [/b](fandoms, books, music etc)
[b]What's your favorite part about YWS?[/b]
[b]What would you love to see in a worst-gift?[/b]
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:18 pm
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

What are a few things you hate? everything I hate has unconviently left my mind. uhhh OH WAIT I KNOW. badly developed characters. remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you.
What are some things you love? Fandoms:sherlock, marvel,Hobbit/LOTR
i love Ya books (specifically fanasty or mystery)
What's your favorite part about YWS? the community and the wfp, oh and the friends I have made
What would you love to see in a worst-gift?
ooooh ummm i honestly don't know.
I know my worth, anyone else opinion doesn't really matter
-Agent Carter

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:30 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

What are a few things you hate? Lack of proofreading in a piece of writing, whether it's poetry or a novel or a short story. I really don't like when people don't proofread.
What are some things you love? Studio Ghibli, Writing, Reading, Krabs(Yes, it is spelled with a K), Yoshis, those who like yoshis, anything having to do with yoshis.
What's your favorite part about YWS? It's gotta be either the Storybooks or the Forum.
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? An longform poem with absolutely no meter, rhythm, rhyme, or theme. Either that or a short story that doesn't make sense at all and is really vague.
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:49 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you. Obnoxiously bright neon colors, bad character development, poems with forced rhyme, people misspelling my name.

What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music etc) Lord of the Rings, The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner, P!nk, nice blues, daffodils.

What's your favorite part about YWS? Reviewing! And the community of fantabulous writers c:

What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Honestly, whatever you want to give! A poem or short story could be fun, but I also could see some hilariously bad graphics coming from what I listed here, so live it up. Give me your worst ;)

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:09 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

What are a few things you hate? (colours, characters, random grudges, etc): really pale, pastel pink. inconsistent rhyming schemes. the fact that it's Gen-Zee and not Gen-Zed. most country music. that one shade of bright, obnoxious blue (see here for an example). when "much" and "many" are used interchangeably, and when "good" is used instead of "well". when people say poems have to have the first letter of every line capitalized (spoiler alert: they don't!)
I'm not as grouchy as this list makes me sound, I promise c: These are just a bunch of my pet peeves that I think would be the most helpful in awful gift making ;)

What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music etc): nearly every shade of green. nearly every form of poetry. BBC Sherlock. Poirot (and everything Agatha Christie, basically). Schitt's Creek. YouTubers: doddleoddle, Paint, MALINDA, Good Mythical Morning, TwoSet, Pentatonix, and Smosh. Shakespeare. Cute li'l doggies. Cute li'l kittens. Cute li'l rhinos. music by Debussy, or Schubert, and Vivaldi. Bruno Mars, P!nk, Taylor Swift, Abba, Queen. (Bohemian Rhapsody!!)

What's your favourite part about YWS? The people <3

What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Anything satirical or anything that will make me cringe! Awful poems are great, or any graphics that combine the stuff I listed, or memes, or whatever you feel inspired to make! c:
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

Random avatar

Reviews: 63
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:57 pm
View Likes
NastyMajesty says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you. PAPAYA. I HATEEEEE PAPAYA. AND BRIGHT NEON COLORS. And hair. Loose hair. DISGUSTING. And ONIONS and pickles. People that assume I’m a nerd because i have glasses. DIRTY GLASSES— broken phone screens... Bees. Bees terrify me. People that call me “Maria” or misspell my name. Just the name Maria in general. People that yell when they speak. Loud things. Forks screeching against plates. Cats that scratch. BAD DIGITAL DESIGN LIKE WHITE FONT AGAINST WHITE BACKGROUND AND UNREADABLE FONTS.
What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music etc) DOGS! MUSIC - Writings on the wall, Rather Be, I Like Me better. The Outsiders by SE Hinton is my favorite book. Purple, black, and dark blue are my favorite colors. I LOVE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES! Specifically SPLATOON 2!!!!! By far the best game I’ve ever played :0 I also like art.
What's your favorite part about YWS? that we can all come together of all ages and write and chat and troll people.
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? a really, REALLY, HORRIBLE pun. Or just something super cringe worthy.
Last edited by NastyMajesty on Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:58 pm
View Likes
Plume says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc)
OK. I really don't like comma splices, queerbaiting, shallow people, rap music, and poorly written fanfiction (like the weird self-instert stuff that you find on Wattpad that's so trope-y and it's not even good. Think... My Immortal). Also those wispy little chin beards that teenage guys grow. They disgust me. (Don't know why this is relevant, but they just realllly rub me the wrong way.)
What are some things you love?
Vines (like the internet videos, but I do love plants too), cacti, Good Omens (the book/show), animated short films on YouTube, Shakespeare, Disney, the movie Klaus (2019), and Tumblr (especially 2014-2016 Tumblr humor). All colors are beautiful, btw.
What's your favorite part about YWS?
Probably getting feedback on my pieces. There's nothing better for my brain and overall happiness level than getting a good review.
I'd love to see the worst short story you can come up with. Make me cringe. One of those prose-poems could do nicely too. Basically, whatever you want to do, actually. I don't want to cramp your style. I just want to cringe when I see it.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:30 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) Pink, purple, neon yellow/green/blue
What are some things you love? I'm just going to link my Secret Santa form because I'm lazy.
What's your favorite part about YWS? The people, the storybooks, and the activities (#21in21, NaPo, Secret Santa, etc)
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Do your worst. :)

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:31 pm
View Likes
rosette says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you.
The color pink. The genre of fantasy (generally). Laziness. Allergies. Frizzy hair. Seafood. San Francisco. Rap and edgy music.

Mexican food. The color blue. Black dresses. Tigers. Captain America. Red hair. The mountains. Mystery/Crime. Realistic stories (generally).

The publishing and reviewing! I, personally, like to review people's works... it helps me discover negatives and/or positives in someone else's story that I may later see in mine.

A poem lacking rhythm, sense, and rhyme with either an attack on the things I love or an adoration of the things I hate.
On earth I long to be like Him

465 Reviews

Reviews: 465
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:47 am
View Likes
starlitmind says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) Hmm, I don't really hate that many things xD umm, I don't really hate any colours, but super bright, unreadable, neon colours are a bit annoying :p when people say that "i"s in a poem must be capitalized, rap music, second lead syndrome xD
haha I just thought of something else that annoys me cx when forum topics are unread (the icon becomes red, and it isn't blue) I make sure everything is blue because it annoys me when topics are unread for some reason :p

What are some things you love? Unicorns! candles, poetry, celestial stuff, kdrama, kpop, historical fiction is my fav genre of books, and I love classical music c:

What's your favorite part about YWS? EVERYONE ON THIS SITE <3

What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Literally anything that's easy for you to make! Bad poetry (although there's no such thing, but you can try to make it happen xD), anything super duper cheesy or cringey, bad graphics, whatever you feel like making!
.--. --- - .- - ---

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:59 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

What are a few things you hate? @starlitmind said this but I'll say it too. DON'T SAY WHEN REVIEWING ANYONE'S POETRY THAT THERE NEEDS TO BE CAPITALIZATION OR PUNCTUATION.
What are some things you love? Kittens, ballet.
What's your favorite part about YWS? Roleplay Realm or the People tab.
What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Whatever you want! But make it terrible. ;)
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14 NIV

never apologize for standing up for what you believe in.

previously MomoandAppa, LordMomo, MomoMajesty, and dancingontheclouds

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 am
View Likes
LUNARGIRL says...

What are a few things you hate?
I hate when I read stories, poems, ect that make no sense or have a lot of grammatical errors, or things like that. Basically, if it's something that has not been proofread it will probably annoy me. I also hate bright neon colors that hurt your eyes to look at.
Some things that I love include reading any type of fiction book, sports, things that have to do with the moon. I love the color teal, but I also like pastel colors.
My favorite part of YWS is the community because everyone is so nice. I also like the poetry section and green room.
I don't really know what I would love to see in a worst-gift. Probably something that contradicts everything I said that I love. Maybe a poem or something that makes no sense or has all these grammatical errors. Really anything.
"ONE CANNOT BE BRAVE WHO HAS NO FEAR."

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:40 pm
View Likes
starbean says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, ) Colors: pink, purple, teal, bright green. Characters: Dolores Umbridge of Harry Potter, Voldemort, Bellatrix Lestrange.
What are some things you love?](fandoms, books, music etc)
Books: Counting by 7’s, The Lions of Little Rock, A Mango Shaped Space, Music: Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi, Let it Be by the Beatles
What's your favorite part about YWS? Writer Feed Pads
lyrics from Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
she/her————pro-life————Christian————climber of rocks, trees, and rooftops----reader of poetry, Antoine de Saint Exupery, Pam Munoz Ryan, and Anthony Doerr
"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 pm
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) remember this is the WORST gift ever exchange, so your gift-giver might just use this against you.

A few things I hate? A story with too many random details that are useless and never brought up ever again, like my brother studied Biology in college. Your brother is never talked about in this story ever again why are you mentioning this? I also hate tomatoes. I also hate horror stories. And I hate people who keep arguing for no reason or keep pointing out flaws in people.

What are some things you love? (fandoms, books, music etc)

I love Marvel, food (besides tomatoes), YWS, Discord, my friends, animals, constructive feedback because it helps me become a better person, nice people, good photography and photo/video edits and a good book.

EVERYTHING. I love the supportive community, the talent in writing, the forums, all the constructive feedback, the clubs. Just everything.

Whatever you can come up with as long as it includes some of the stuff I hate!!!
*boop*

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:25 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

OKAY I'm adding myself to the mix because we've got an odd number !!

What are a few things you hate? (colors, characters, random grudges, etc) I strongly dislike when people say that poetry needs to have conventional capitalization and punctuation as a 'rule' ~ I don't like lima beans or anything about them, uhhhh oh and I am strongly opposed to all things to do with the YWS #classified movement.

What are some things you love? I love dark cyan & red, and pretty colors together, and poetry, and any music or singing, and BIRDS & BIRD DOODLES! and #unclassified, and did I mention poetry? also the letter A, and funny memes.

What's your favorite part about YWS? NaPo, KotGR, the PEOPLE, and inside-jokes

What would you love to see in a worst-gift? Something creative or musical or artsy would be great;;; but whatever ideas you want to show-case? GO FOR IT!! ZERO PRESSURE!! You could make something completely unrelated to everything I put, and I bet I'd still love it!

>>> I'll send out who your "worst-gift-ever" recipient is going to be shortly. :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg