YWS Yearbook 2020

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Oh gosh...

This has been quite the year, on YWS and off and I don't have much to say, but --

@Magebird, @soundofmind & @TheMulticoloredCyr thank you for being awesome collaborators in something like five or six finished roleplays (I lost count...) and for being great to work with.

Sound, thank you for helping with my dad's birthday gift as well. He loved it and I wouldn't have been able to do it without you, and for being a wonderful artists and bringing several of the characters of Eagle Rock to life.

@Carina I've loved talking to you and roleplaying with you since you came back to the site.

Of course, there's no possible way I could give **everyone** I want to a shoutout, but the last would be this site as a whole.

Few things in my life have been constant for nearly twelve years, but YWS is one of them.

Thank you.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:58 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Icy's 2020 Yearbook Post

Personal Reflections:

Despite having been on the site for almost ten years, I've never done one of these yearbook posts. Whilst that means I don't have the awkward looking back and cringing moment of rediscovering my old posts, I was thinking today about why that might be and though I've been around for ten years, I think this is the longest I've consistently stuck with YWS.

That is likely for a multitude of reasons. Of course, not being able to go out and see my friends and family is likely the biggest contributing factor, but YWS has also become my escape from the hectic insanity that has been my work life this year (seriously, who knew that coffee would be so stressful?). I was also supposed to move house this year, but with Covid and the general chaos that always comes hand in hand with moving, that's been postponed countless times. YWS has been here for me through all the highs and lows, and this year I've needed that more than ever. I've always had a great group of friends on here, but this year I feel like I've really found people who will push me to be a better version of myself and for that I'm grateful.

Writing:

Writing wise, this year has been a mixture but I think overall largely positive. I've had an idea sitting, not at all fully formed, in my head for a number of months but with no motivation to do anything about it. After months of reviewing everyone else's incredible work, I decided to give Camp NaNo a go in July and wrote around 13,000 words of my novel. I haven't got any further than that just yet, but for me that was a massive achievement, as I hadn't seriously sat down to write in about six or seven years and the blank page syndrome was incredibly daunting.

For November, I started afresh, with a brand new shiny novel idea and the motivation to beat NaNo. It was a long, difficult slog but I managed the 50,000 words in a month and felt equally incredible and burnt out. On Crimson Tides isn't finished yet, but I've got a good solid start and I've actually been back to write more of it since. I'm aiming to get the first draft finished in the first half of 2021.

YWS
On YWS, my biggest achievements this year involve completing Team Tortoise (LINK) a total of three times, something I'd never managed despite my copious reviews over the years. It also allowed me to get a shiny red star, and I'll definitely be working my way towards the next one in 2021.

I also completed the wonderful Checklist Challenge during RevMo, and saw my usesrname change from blue to medium slate blue to pink, to maroon, and finally gold as I managed all 50 reviews for the month. I got this wonderful badge:

Spoiler! :

As a bonus, @alliyah made me this wonderful avatar:
Spoiler! :

And a fab penguin doodle too!
Spoiler! :

This year, I had a go at my first storybook, joining @ScarlettFire's Myth Arisen. We haven't gotten very far with this one, but it's my first foray into the SB world, and something I want to try and give some more time to next year.

In October I became FM on the site. Having been a FM before, I was amazed at the fact I was again, but I think it's a wonderful reflection of the fact that YWS allows you to grow over the years and your contributions continue to be recognised, especially as my previous time as FM was in 2017, and I've personally changed a lot since then.

In November, I joined the wonderful Squills team, and have had the chance to write some wonderful articles. Nobody tell the people at my job that I'm writing Squills articles when I'm meant to be working please.

Then, just a few weeks ago , @Liminality, @starlitmind and I all became a wonderful mouldy green , the perfect end to the year! So far, it's been great and it feels amazing to be able to give back to the community that's given me so much.

Shoutouts
I will 100% miss out some people as you've all been wonderful this year but I'm going to keep it short and sweet!

@ShadowVyper @BluesClues @mellifera @ExOmelas your writing has been what motivated me to get back into my own writing this year and I'm super grateful. You're all incredible writers and I can't wait to read what you have to share in 2021. Blue, thank you for the constant encouragement in all the pads and bonus love to Shady for your support in all the green things <3

@Magebird & @alliyah, two wonderful presences on the site. Thanks for keeping YWS running!

@Liminality & @starlitmind my fellow greenies <3

And to everyone else for making this year on YWS a good one. See you in 2021!

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Siren's 2020 Yearbook Scrawlings

I moved into my own place with my bf just last month and I'm heckin glad to end the year this way. I don't care about the months where I was overworked, or whatever else I won't bother to remember. I've got new things to build and more rabbit holes to plunge down.

@RaidenCheese keep posting your drawings on twitter and discord, I know I don't reply to them all the time but I see them all and I hecking love how good you've gotten at drawing bodies with real dimension, at foreshortening and action, and just simple bloody charm. Please stay groovy, and continue your ascent

@Magebird Thank you for your endless patience with my gobblefunking, spiralling rambles and propositional pitch-fests, and taking ages to post
I will be your cheerleader forever, you attract whimsy and intrigue like sunflowers attract bees, you sunflower you

@TheMultiColouredCyr
I love the heck out of your designs, the colours, everything. They're fierce and quiet and explosive and fluffy and I'm always excited to follow that mythology wether they end up in RPs or not.

@soundofmind we haven't been in contact all that much this year but I can easily tell you're still floating like a cruisy little UFO thru your times and commitments- or like that duck on the water looking cosy and slow while she paddles those duck feet hard out. May your cruisy furious voyages lead to good places

@Featherstone
I don't know how often you check YWS these days but you're the only one I can whine about Prussia to and I wanna invite you again to ramble with me about anything, anything, you slinky vagabond

@ChristenedPages good god you're studying NEUROSCIENCE NOW good lord that sounds hard but you're workin at it hard and I'm proud of you and you deserve comfy loving spaces and some good sleeps and I hope you get both in spades and CONGRATS on your gf <3 I'm always rooting for you

ALL MY SOH PEEPS I AIN'T MENTIONED YET-

@EditorAndPerks Hablex is already a gem, stumbling brilliance, and a joy to have around

@AstralHunter
You got lore to the gills and I love talking that lore with you. But more than that, you don't just compile, you interpret, you use and you transform. Highkey looking forward to the next big ol rabbit hole dive with you

@winterwolf0100
I suspect you came up with half the ideas for Felix, honestly. You keep those discussions living and pumping and motivations high. I love the hell out of Abela

@JustJasper
It's damn wild to find you again and I look forward to our exploits :pirate3:

@Carina
Did I forget to mention how much I love that Emma plays Harvest Moon on the DS and has a MySpace? You're doing more work than any of us to set the scene of 2005 than any one of us and that's far from the only nice thing I have to say about that intro post

@ScarlettFire
I am so, so happy to be in an SB with you again. The old time OB&R was my best old SB experience despite being only 2 pages, seriously. I learned everything about running them from you- I'll say it again, you're great at encouraging creativity and being fair while not conceding any ground that you shouldn't.
(Thanks again for hosting the SOH channel in your discord server btw.)
I can't wait to write more with you, bud
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:21 pm
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

Winter's Wanderings

Wow. What can I even begin to say? 2020 has been the slowest but quickest year I have ever experienced. I don't think my mind ever truly moved past March, so technically, it's been my birthday month this whole year XD. Maybe I'll try to make a list of the most important things that have really happened to me this year, to commemorate this year to future me, no doubt reading this back like it was a dream. And if you're reading this, that means I actually got around to completely writing and publishing this, so honestly, bravo future me. Good job.

Personal:

-- To start off with, my craving for puzzles went through the roof this year. I listen to audiobooks while I do puzzles, and with all the free time the quarantine opened up for me, I seemed to constantly have a puzzle going on in the background at one point or another. Out of maybe the 30 puzzles I own, I definitely had a favorite this year-- shout-out to Lighthouse puzzle, which had 500 pieces and I hyper-focused on so much over quarantine I started timing myself just to distinguish between the times I did it (in case you're wondering, I whittled my time down from 2 hours and 11 minutes to a solid 1 hour over the course of 30 times doing it.)

--I guess that kind of, sort of (not really) leads into my next personal-- audiobooks. Over the past year especially, I've had so much work that it's been hard to sit down and really focus on a single book. Audiobooks have been a life saver this year, because they've let me keep doing the things I need to do while still being able to read. I flew through some new series, and reread a lot of old ones, especially Rick Riordan's works. I may or may not have listened to the entire Heroes of Olympus series in a week multiple times this year, but if you don't tell I won't. XD

--I guess one of the biggest things I did personally this year that still feels kind of weird was officially come out to my parents as genderfluid. It may not have gone the exact way I wanted, but they were supportive, even if they didn't-- and still don't-- fully understand what it means. I came out to one of my uncles, and though that conversation also definitely did not go how I wanted it to, in the end, it (along with a lot of Rick Riordan) really helped me realize that my identity is, inherently, about me, not about others, and my identity, and as an extension, my pronouns, are my choice. If I want to switch my pronouns up, it's my call, and it shouldn't be hard on people who truly care about me and respect my identity to change them every once in a while. My pronouns are there to make me feel comfortable-- not to make it easier on others.

Writing:

Geez... where do I even start with this? Hmm... Well, I suppose I'll try to start from the beginning.

--Storybooks: so I may have gone a little crazy when signing up for storybooks. I mean, how could I help myself?! I love the opportunity to write with others, and I have no impulse control, so I ended up joining a lot this year. Most of them are still active, so hooray for us! I've loved getting to be in all of them, and I can't wait to go on all those journeys with all my amazing fellow writers!

--Drafts. Like, way too many of them: so first off, let me start by reminding the reader that I have no impulse control. If I have a book idea, I usually just write it in a note in my phone and try to forget it because I don't have time to take on yet another project. But this year, I took on a few new ones, because I love having multiple stories going so I can never focus enough to finish one. (Sarcasm level warning: proceed with caution XD). I'm currently on my second draft for my novel, along with the first draft of a realistic fiction novel, a medieval novel, and I'm in the planning phases for two dystopian novels and a twist on a classic fairy tale. Someone help me, I need to stop.

--Last Ship Standing competition: wow. I mean, honestly, wow. This was one of the biggest writing blessings of the year for me. I'm very bad at commitment and staying on track, so to be on a team of people all pushing each other to write just a little each week was a beautiful experience. I'm absolutely in love with Runeseeker, and even though LSS finished up this week, I'm looking forward to the continued journey I'm going to get to take with Maji, Holt, Berkeley, and Tetia. They all hold a place in my heart.

Inclusivity effort: I am proud to say that over the year I've grown as a writer not just through grammar and technique, but through my understanding of the world. As I completely rewrite one of my novels in its second draft, my primary goal has now switched to inclusivity, in which I change all the cis-heterosexual white characters I was taught were normal to a more inclusive range of characters. It's been a really tough journey to get to a place where I can fully accept I am not as open with my characters as I would like to be because of how I was raised, and I am working hard to combat and change that, which I think I've done great with this year in my writing in particular.

People:

This category really should be reserved for real life humans only, but I can't resist, so I'm going to do real people and the fictional characters that completely impacted my life this year.

Fictional:

--Malik. Sweetie. My absolute baby. You have to be the most developed character I've ever written, and I love you with all my heart, even though I know if you were alive and in front of me, you would try to kill me. The others don't see how broken you are, but just know that I already have your future planned out, and it's beautiful. You end up with someone who loves you and is going to help you overcome all those obstacles I put in your way, and you're going to come to learn so many things you don't know yet. Over the course of this year, you've taught me to be strong and courageous; to not show weakness in the face of fear; that sometimes, to help others, you have to let go of that stubbornness inside you, the one that clenches your heart and screams at your brain that you'll look weak, and you have to apologize to those loved ones you've hurt. Malik, I'm more like you than I'd care to admit. Apologizing is one of my weaknesses with those I'm closest with, because I always fear that if I apologize, it will open the floodgates for them to stomp all over me. I can't admit it when I need help. For you, you can't get help when you're hurting on the outside. For me, I can't get help when I'm hurting on the inside. And you've helped me overcome so many struggles throughout this year. I know you're not real, but Jesus I wish you were. Just so I could hug you once. Before you stabbed me with your sword.

--Mallon. You may be the same soul as Malik, but your circumstances are entirely different. You started out as a hypothetical, a what-if alternate universe, and you've expanded into your own unique, sweet, caring person. You couldn't hurt a fly (and not just because of your fascination with bugs) but you'd do anything to protect those you love. And I greatly admire that. Your love, not only for your family and friends but for any of the significant others I've thrown your way through countless roleplays, is inspiring to watch unfold. And even though I know that the writing is physically coming from me, I also know that it isn't just from me. I don't know if you're from my subconscious, but I have my breath taken away at every sweet sacrifice you find yourself willing to make. You've evolved from a Malik AU to your own solid person, and even though I could write you doing something, if it doesn't fit with your character, I'll know it isn't you. You've changed from something out of the deepest recesses of my brain to a beautiful, strong, talented boy who doesn't think kindness is a weakness. And I think that's the thing I admire most from you and could learn from you. Because I learn to be invincible from Malik. But you've taught me that being vulnerable is just as strong.

--Edana. You have imbedded yourself as deep in my brain as Malik and Mallon lie-- which is astounding, because you're not even my own, not really. I've had dreams where I'm you, I've had dreams where I'm Malik and I'm with you. You're such an awe-inspiring role model. You're a strong, independent woman, and even when you get involved in romance, you stay that strong, independent woman. You know what you want, and you aren't afraid to get it. For the few special souls who manage to worm their way into your heart, you will stop at nothing to protect them. I read recently that a strong female character isn't just about being a good fighter-- it's about being a strong person who doesn't bend over as soon as a man walks into your life. And Edana, you embody that. You are, without a doubt, the strongest female character I've read and had the pleasure to write in a very long time. And I'm really looking forward to spending this upcoming year watching you grow even more.

--Berkeley. You are one of my newest characters, but you've still managed to profoundly affect me. Your confidence in your gender identity resounds so deeply with me, because you do what I wish I could do every single day. You own it, you're proud to be who you are, and you aren't afraid of the consequences. And even though you're on a terrifying journey, sometimes I feel it would be better to be on that journey with you than to come out to everyone as genderfluid like you have the courage to do. I wrote you because I wanted-- no, needed-- a strong genderfluid person in my life, and as much as I adore Alex Fierro, I needed to be able to help shape that person. I needed someone who doesn't get defensive about their identity, who is proud and unashamed to be who they are. You're my inspiration Berkeley. And I hope one day I'll get to live as freely as you do.

--Wintercloud. You have to be the sole character on here that I completely and whole-heartedly hate. There is nothing to learn from you but what not to do. Why am I including you on this? Because you've impacted my character's lives, for better or worse, and through that, you've impacted me and my perception of you. Not only are you a racist prick, but you're an abusive ass who takes his anger out on others. You have to be the hardest character for me to write, because you're the one who causes almost the entirety of Malik and Edana's pain, and I hate you for it. But you've taught me that as a writer, no matter how much I hate something, sometimes I have to do the things I think are awful through a character who thinks they're right in order for my characters to grow. Not every character is completely appalled by hurting others like I am, and if I'm going to survive as a writer, I have to learn how to think from every point of view: even one as awful as yours. So even though I hate you wtih all my heart, you've helped me fully understand that not all characters are the type of evil that comes from a tragic backstory. Some of them just have black hearts, and you can't waste your time trying to understand them.

Honorable mentions:

Spoiler! :
--Daxus: you are a sassy ball of hatred, cunning, and gayness. Honestly I don't think there's any other way I can describe you. I'd tell you to keep being yourself, but you kill people for a living, so maybe try giving it a rest for a change?

--David: you, my good sir, are one of the sweetest people I've met, and you and Mallon are made for each other. You try to stand up for what's right and you're a caring boyfriend. I hope I find someone someday who treats me like you treat literally everybody.

--Abela: Oh, you little resentment-filled confused lesbian person. You have definitely made your way into my heart. Your secret sappiness (get it? Tree joke? I know you love those) and hufflepuff heart are what make you truly stand out in the sea of haters. You go girl.

--Taev: Look out! Awkward, moody gay coming through!
Big important things to do.
Finding your dead sister, always acting gloomy,
How the heck did you fall for a person like Ruthie?
~I don't know you very well yet buddy, but I'm excited to learn more about you as I write you more. Hang in there. Hopefully you won't go insane from the group's constant talking until then.

--Baxster & Johnathan: I had to put you in a pair because this is already becoming so long. But you two are honestly such amazing dads. You're trying so hard to be good to these children you've barely known, and even if you don't know what you're doing, it's obvious you care. (Careful! Pull down your shirt, your BIG HEARTS are showing!)

--Neisa, Nico, Sona, Victor, Emmet, Karina, Winter Dawn, Rayla, Nix, Cagen, Oriana: first off, let me start by saying holy cow there's a lot of you. I have no idea how your parents are going to survive. Second, I love each and every one of you so much. You each have your own personality, and you're all going to grow up to be amazing and inspiring people. Honestly. If I could adopt you all straight out of mine and Europa's imagination, I would.

--Aric & Rasmus: Oh, you two. I had such a hard time convincing myself not to write huge paragraphs for all of these characters, but you two especially. You've shown me that grown men don't have to be tough to be strong. Sometimes being loving is enough. You're both powerful, brilliant people who will settle for nothing less than justice, and I admire you for that.

--Tetia: you're so snarky and confident. Keep doing what you do. You honestly rock, love.

--Holt: you always seem cold and distant, but somewhere in there, you care. On rare moments, it's like the reader can see you opening up, finally able to view the inside of the un-bloomed flower. And I think that's a beautiful thing to be a witness to.

--Maji: you are such a sweet energetic ball of confusion and confidence. Don't let the world keep you down. You deserve more than that.

--Autumn: I haven't spent much time with you at all until recently. But seeing your strength and endurance, the way you face old enemies and you hold yourself together, was truly a touching moment. You're strong, even if you don't know it, and you'll get through it.

--Faróno: you are such an angsty little person. I don't know you as well as I want to yet, but I can already tell you're going to be an... interesting... one to write XD. The world has given you so much crap, a remarkable amount in comparison to the zero craps they give about you, but you've still perservered. You are truly an inspiration, even if you're the kind I would not want anywhere near me or my nightmares.

Real peeps:

--@Europa. You are an absolute inspiration, and without a doubt, the best writing friend a person could hope for. Our constant roleplaying keeps me excited and creative all the time, and getting to explore so many scenarios and au's with our characters has truly been a blessing. I'm sitting here trying to figure out some way to even put all my emotions into words, and I'm being rendered speechless. Honestly. Getting the privilege to read your manuscript has also been an absolute honor. You're a funny, unique, brilliant person and writer, and I'm so happy I know you. Working with you is one of the greatest joys I've gotten through storybooking on this website because you care so deeply for your characters and are so willing to explore everything about them, even the unpleasant parts. You've helped me grow as a writer and a person as I've come to realize over the past year the true worth of knowing a character and fleshing them out. I'm excited to continue that journey over the upcoming year, which is hopefully filled with lots of writing, roleplaying, and Hamilton references. Thanks for always being there for me, and for being one of my best friends throughout this weird quarantine thing. I love ya, dude.

--@ScarlettFire. You sweet, beautiful genius. You were the start of my entire journey on this website with On Stolen Wings. Through you and your storybook, I met so many people and I've gotten to go on so many adventures. I'm absolutely in love with Loren, and I'm thrilled to be able to get to know him even more as we continue our OSW journey (and possibly our WMHB journey as well-- who knows?) You're a great writer, and you're a great shoulder to lean on when times are hard. Thanks for supporting me when I needed it the most. You're awesome.

--@TinkerTwaggy. I'm not really sure what to say, quite honestly. We haven't interacted a ton until the most recent months, but you've been nothing but supportive. Thanks for pushing me, for encouraging me when I needed it, for helping me grow my writing through some of the best constructive criticism I've seen. And thanks for helping me be comfortable with my own writing style and length, and showing me that when there's someone you trust you can lean on when you're writing, you don't have to be overly critical on yourself, because if you truly trust the other person, they'll help you grow in a way that's healthier than the debilitating negative comments that seem to fill my mind a lot. Oh-- and thanks for the support cookies.

--@Chaser. LSS was one of the craziest rides I've been on in a while, and I absolutely loved getting to share that experience with you. You're a great writer, and a good leader. I was actually originally hesitant to join LSS; I was scared I would make a commitment I couldn't uphold, and let my team down. But you were nothing but supportive and caring through the entire journey, and for that, I'm eternally grateful. I'm excited to get to keep working with you in the future, and can't wait to see where the next year takes us, and the Order of the Claw.

--@kairamorgan. I'm trying hard to not repeat things I say about each person, because my experience with everyone has been unique, and I don't want anyone to think I didn't mean what I wrote-- but I do need to repeat something I wrote for Chaser already. LSS was completely crazy, and I absolutely loved getting to ride out that storm of hectic last-minute Sunday night writing with you. You're an amazing writer and teammate, and I could always count on you for any feedback or help I felt I might need. Thanks for being an awesome person.

--@galaxygem. Roleplaying with you has been an absolute joy. I'd never even considered roleplaying with Sanders Sides characters until I came across your question about it, and I decided to do something risky and say I was interested. And it did not disappoint. I feel like it's grown beyond just the series we both love-- it's grown to help me realize my own personal perceptions of the characters, and really helped me grasp what I love about each of them. Thanks for being awesome.

Honorable Mentions:
And of course, I can't exclude all the amazing people I've gotten the honor to participate in storybooks with. I may not know some of you as well as I'd like to, but I do know you're all amazing writers with tons of talent and potential. I look forward to continuing to work with all of you next year!
Spoiler! :
--@AstralHunter, On Stolen Wings, Sunshower Over Hogsmeade: Astral, you're an awesome writer. You know everything, and you're my go-to lore person for literally anything. If I have a question, you always have the answer. And of course, Aran. Aran is one of the funniest and most interesting characters I've encountered in a storybook, and you are a genius for creating him. And Raphael? Exquisite. I love him to death already. Thanks for being amazing.

--@Vincian, On Stolen Wings: I haven't gotten to interact with you much, but I already love Kiera, and I'm excited to see where her journey takes her.

--@FlamingPhoenix, On Stolen Wings: Though we haven't talked all that much, Luna is already an amazing person that I'm intrigued to learn more about.

--@Lezuli, The Half-Way Hotel, The Caretakers: you, my friend, are hilarious. Mikalyn is such a character, and I love reading anything to do with her. As for Elliot, I haven't gotten to see a lot of him, but I'm already excited to read more. I'm so excited to read more of your work in the future.

--@RadDog13579, The Half-Way Hotel, The Caretakers: I don't know Anake very well yet, and I don't know you well either, but I'm excited to throughout this coming year. I'm interested to see where you take him and how he develops through the story! I'm also excited to see more of C and to see (that was an awful pun, please ignore it XD) what you have in mind for this storybook moving forward! You are definitely rad.

--@Valkyria, The Half-Way Hotel, The Caretakers, The Rise from Tartarus, College in New Rome: We haven't gotten to see a ton of Astrid yet, but she's an interesting enough being that I'm already intrigued to see what you have in mind for her. Brienne is also an interesting character that I look forward to learning more about. As for your take on Athena, I absolutely love it so far and I'm psyched to work with you. Keep up the great work!

--@Lia5Giba, The Half-Way Hotel: What can I say? I haven't seen a lot of Henry yet but I'm thrilled to get to in the future! I can already tell you're a strong writer, and I'm psyched to get to work with you!

--@Stormblessed242, The Half-Way Hotel: Mark and Jonas are going to have a hay-day: when they get around to talking to each other. And I'm thrilled for that conversation to come. I don't know you well yet, but I'm excited to be in this with you!

--@LordMomo, The Half-Way Hotel: Natalia is such an interesting character. I can't wait to see how her and Jonas bump heads, especially given their extremely different views of Nazi Germany. I'm excited to see where this year takes her!

--@ThePatchworkPilgrims, The Half-Way Hotel, Tales of the Deadfire, The Caretakers: You are a great storybook runner, and I'm super excited to see both of your storybooks that I'm in continue. Your characters are well-thought out, and you're a brilliant writer. I can't wait to see where this year steers our writing together!

--@RavenLord, Tales of the Deadfire: Emile is such a character. I'm so psyched to see how this self-proclaimed priest who worships the gods interacts with a God-like who hates being a God-like, and I look forward to getting to work with you as we figure that dynamic out!

--@EvieEcco, Tales of the Deadfire: Virgil is such a sweet and lovable character already, and though I haven't gotten to see a lot of him yet, I look forward to his interactions with Kritanta and getting to collaborate with you!

--@soundofmind, Myth Arisen: Oh. My. Gosh. The creator of Ruthie. What can I even say to a genius like you? Seriously, what can I say? You're absolutely brilliant, and I'm so excited to see what this next year holds in store for both you and the hot bad boy.

--@TheMulticoloredCyr, Myth Arisen, Sunshower Over Hogsmeade: In both storybooks I'm in with you, you've created drastically different characters that I absolutely adore. Bati and Nes are both so different, but they've already claimed spots in my heart. I'm excited to get to work with you this year, and excited to see what you have in store for both of them!

--@LZPianoGirl, Myth Arisen: Ah, yes. Hermina. Morgana. Probably my favorite pirate character I've encountered. You are an amazing writer, and I am already in love with Hermina. I cannot wait to see more of her (and you!) next year!

--@HarryHardy, Myth Arisen, College in New Rome: Ah, what to say to the creator of Taev's twin? Well, for one-- bravo. Triana is a beautifully crafted character, an absolute masterpiece, and I'm pumped to see what you have in store for her in the coming year, along with what you have in store for Cassandra.

--@IcyFlame, Myth Arisen: Oz has already claimed a piece of my heart. She hesitantly put a flag in it marking it as her own then ran away, and I love her for it. It was a blast getting to collaborate with you for Taev's first post, and I'm super excited to continue to work together in the future! You're awesome!

--@Carina, Sunshower Over Hogsmeade, College in New Rome: Though I don't know Zara yet, I'm super psyched to get to start on that adventure with you! And Emma is such a sweet character! I love her to pieces. You've written and created her beautifully, and I cannot wait to see what else is in store for her in this slice-of-life cozy tale!

--@JustJasper, Sunshower Over Hogsmeade: I haven't gotten to see a post on Rain yet, but just reading over her profile, I can tell I'm going to love reading about her. I'm so excited that you're a part of the team!

--@SirenCymbaline, Sunshower Over Hogsmeade: Oh my goodness. What do I say to the runner of Sunshower Over Hogsmeade, A.K.A. one of the cutest and sweetest storybooks ever? And how do I even begin to express my appreciation and gratitude at not only being allowed to be a part of such a heart-warming story, but of getting to write alongside such a talented crew of writers? You're a true inspiration Siren. Thanks for being you!

--@EditorAndPerks, Sunshower Over Hogsmeade, College in New Rome: Hablex is a gem. I'm so excited to see some interactions between them and Abela, and I'm psyched to get the honor of writing alongside you, in this and with Hamish and Faróno!

--@writingbright, The Caretakers: I haven't gotten to see a lot of Carissa yet, but I'm excited to get to in the coming year, and I can't wait to write with you! Thanks for being amazing!

--@Yoshikrab, the Rise from Tartarus: Your takes on Apollo, Nike, and Hestia, are all stunning and very intriguing. I'm interested to see where this next year takes us and this storybook. Great job!

--@TheRealEuphoria, the Rise from Tartarus: You've been a great storybook leader and an amazing writer so far. I have loved getting to write interactions between Aphrodite and Ares so far, and I can't wait to continue to do so through next year!

--@Magebird, the Rise from Tartarus: I feel like I've seen you all over YWS, but I didn't get a chance to really write with you until now, and I already love it. Thanatos is dark and intriguing, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store for him!

--@Haileyg21, the Rise from Tartarus: Though we haven't gotten to see Artemis yet, I have no doubt you'll write her beautifully and amazingly, and I'm super excited to write with you!

--@LadyMysterio, the Rise from Tartarus: Your take on Zeus is amazing, and I am really psyched to get to write with you!

This is so ridiculously long that if you made it through I applaud you. I'm sure this will be updated at some point when I wake up in the morning and recognize some stupid mistake I made at 2am while writing this, and I'll edit as I think of more things to include, but for now, this is it. Thank you so much for caring enough to read about my year. I'm excited for 2021. Maybe we'll share it together! : )
Last edited by winterwolf0100 on Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:53 pm
View Likes
fatherfig says...

Gem's 2020
(I think I've became courageous ... I think...)

My 2020 has been rough. Like most other peoples, and to write about it I have to break it up into parts. So here goes.

SCHOOL

Online school *sigh* At first I felt like I was Learning something. But as it proggressed I just felt less and less acheivement with each lesson. I started feeling like I was trying to learn Japanese through google translate just doing my daily lessons. Its been very rough and right now I'm just trying to get caught up and get it all done. I can't imagine going to school next year with my current knowledge. Its going to be awful.

MISSING YWS
My only place to post my works and my only place with likeminded individuals who can somewhat understand me. That was a blow, losing you guys. It hit hard and it hit fast. I really missed you. I can't wait to be ables to post on my wal again post works again post reviews again (RECIEVE REVIEWS AGAIN) And getting responses again would be much appreciated.

MY WRITING

I feel like my poetry has improved and it flows better. I think I've done very well with it, but I need reviewing now more than ever as I have time to work on my issues. I can't work on them if I don't know what they are. I need to be humbled and I need to see the flaws in my peices so I can see what I need to improve upon. While that holds true I'm aware I'm in a position where reviewing my works isnt fruitful to the reviewer, you get no opoints in return as I have to post via blog (and have no points to give as I donated the points I couldn't use to someone who could use them and distribute them wisely.). I do not expect reviews right now, but they would be handy, wishfully thinking.

My novel writing. I'm rewriting my The Finders book I've got new Ideas and old I deas and the entire thing needs a refurbish so i can add a new room onto the house and then do the tedious shingle work you know? Hand made shingles put on one at a time overlapping to keep the rain out nice and tight. My style has changed my veiw has changed their world politcs have been expanded. I love this book I'm writing and I just feel like even if it look back at this next year cringing this is my best for my current skillset. :>

Creativity

i've been drawing a little here and there and it's helped me maintain sanity. Or something similar.. At least near the same level as hecticness per usual. I just got some new paints and a much needed new artbook yesterday. (The old ones were full fronts and backs of pages.) I like to draw and I like how I can see myself improving slowly and painstakingly. It's worth the effort.

Mental Health

I started out downhill I was struggling with online learning and I lost yws, but I've been getting back up, with less (but still some) mood crutches. I feel like what at first toppled my tower is now building it back stronger, and I'm laying the brick and mortar. Thats a strong confident feeling. One I haven't had in years. I think That being alive and feeling this decent is all I need right now.

Music

Music.. Has been... Irreplacable. I can breathe it. I can taste it. I can smell it. and most and best of all. I can feel it. I can vibe with it. And that's what I need in times like these. That is what I need. I don't think I need to say anymore but how can I not. (Gushing begins: ) The relief that is music. Never instantly gratifying. Relief that takes going selectively through your playlist to experience different levels of feeling, and relating too hard to too many songs until you understand what exactly it is you are feeling and how you should deal with it. That relief, those tears that strength that weakness.... That electricity through your soul. That extra wind in your sails to give you a needed push.... Music has been irreplaceable...

People

@Elfboy

@Whatchamacallit

@Riellehn

@LittleLee

@TheCursedCat

@Dilbert64

@Hkumar

I have no words. you all have been my saviors. You have helped me more than I could ever help you. I Can only hope to repay you for what you've done. And what youve done is just being yourselves. Your awesome unique beautiful selves. I love you guys so much. More than you will ever know. And you were there when I needed you. And that matters. That means something. <3333333333

And you all matter to me. Everyone of you mean something. <3333

Much love,

That was Gem's 2020.
Last edited by fatherfig on Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:26 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

This is going to be short (maybe if I write this at the beginning it WILL be short).

I think I've been on YWS a lot less this year, but YWSers remained in my heart and my life this year, regardless of whether or not I was checking the site. I mean, I have been still on YWS quite a bit, just less for me. Slightly less anyway. Oh I don't know!

SOMETHING REALLY cool happened this year!! I met @Lavvie IN PERSON and it was really really lovely. And it was when things were a lot more lax in our area about the pandemic. I hope we get to do that again sometime. <3

This year I also got to play Animal Crossing New Horizons with Lavvie, @Hattable, @Morrigan, @fortis, and @ScarletteFire (My memory is not working the best right now, so if I missed anyone I'm sorryyyy- like I just about said I played ACNH with Mesh- who I did not play animal crossing with... I don't think. so. My brain is not operating at capacity) and it was a lot of fun and definitely helped me remain sane during the lockdown in the spring.

I also got to play some Jack Box Party with Morrigan, fortis, @Meshugenah, Hattable, @Elinor (I'm pretty sure Eli was there!), and @AvantCoffee ! Which was a ton of fun aswell!!

This year in some ways, was an improvement on my social life. XD

Also shoutout to @Prokaryote for being awesome. We always have great conversations and I always look forward to them. <3 c:
100% autistic

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Wolfe's 2020 Yearbook

I wasn't planning on writing a yearbook post this year, since I've only been around for the last 2 months of 2020, but I've found myself getting pretty quickly sucked back into the community and remembering why I've always loved it here. It's been a weird adjustment, seeing new faces with some of the old-folks I remembered sprinkled in. But it's been a lot of fun settling back in and getting to know you all again. So here I am, about to write a sappy post to sum up to months!

2020 - Personal Life

2020 has hit like a truck and makes me want to yell some very not nice things. As I think many of us were, I was hoping that this year would be a better one, a year to start to make up for the crap the past few years have put me through. And I did not get that even a little bit. I fell into 2020 nursing wounds from losing friendships, to getting close to other people and subsequently losing them too. My serious relationship was rocky from January up until it ended in December with little room to breathe, and adding a worldwide pandemic on top of that almost cost me my summer internship and my apartment were not good things to handle.

All of that being said, 2020 was also filled with some baby steps in the right direction. I finally got help to improve my mental wellbeing. I picked up old and new hobbies. I've started to let myself grow close to friends again (especially very recently -- and here's to doing it right this time). And I've stumbled back here. More on that later :3 All in all, while life can be difficult, stressful, sad sometimes, I'm hopeful that with enough time and effort I can make it better, by taking care of myself and finding things that I love again.

Academics

For anyone interested, I've managed to maintain a 4.0 GPA while earning my bachelors in computer science, which I'm still really proud of and am baffled that I can continue to upkeep. I managed to acquire an internship, which I didn't think would be possible until later in my education, and they even liked me enough to ask me to come back! (Hopefully they still like me after this break <.< Trying my best here.)

I'm also learning Russian! Now, I have a love-hate relationship with this class because I hate everything about my class while I'm taking it, but when I'm able to step back and see my results by talking to my parents or practicing in other mediums, I'm so proud of myself. I memorized the Russian keyboard this year! (Mainly because of Covid but this is still something I impressed myself with.) I'm hoping to keep up the motivation to continue learning and maybe even one day become fluent.

Writing & YWS

As I've said before, on November 1st at 8 pm, I decided, for no particular reason, that I was going to do NaNo this year, and I was going to win. So I picked up an old novel that I'd written like 2 chapters of and started over. I am so glad I did! After November was over, I felt so good about myself to finally take steps towards accomplishing a goal I'd had since I was 14, and even though I haven't achieved it yet, it finally feels like this could be a reality. I might be able to actually write the first draft of a novel. For real.

But I absolutely would not have finished NaNo without YWS. One night, when I was feeling especially demotivated, I popped into a write in from the People's tab, and I never looked back. I hit my word count that day, something like November 14th of something, a couple of minutes before midnight, and I had so much fun that I kept going back to those write ins and doing word wars and talking to other YWSers about their projects and having a blast. I absolutely want to do more write-ins in the future, especially with #21in21 coming up.

From there, I decided to start reviewing again and reading more works, and through that I started talking to more people, reaching out to old friends and also trying to make new ones. It's been lovely, and I'm happy to pour my energy into something that just brings me a lot of genuine joy. There isn't a day when I'm browsing YWS that I don't at least smile. I even decided that I wanted to regreen and try to give back to this beautiful community that's been with me through just about everything :3 I love you all, so much.

Shoutouts

First of all, I wanted to give a huge thanks to those who I wrote with throughout NaNo, and I certainly hope to see you all in more write-ins (and even just talk more in general!) @soundofmind - thanks for saying hi to me at the first write-in I joined and making me feel welcome and included; I loved hearing you write (and finish!!) the lost dragon, @Carlito - your final NaNo push was incredible and I loved all the wars we did because it really kept me on track too, @AtlasWut - I will still 100% read your wip if you post it, @EternalRain - I loved writing and warring with you too!, @Liminality - I think we also talked some in some write-ins, but I'd totally love to talk with you more!! you seem really kind and sweet, @Soulkana - I also enjoyed hearing about your NaNo novel! it sounded like a really cool concept, @Vil - you had a lot of energy, which I amdmired, and I'd love to talk more! I know there were probably other people there who slipped my mind, but I really appreciated you all <3

Then there's a few people I've gotten to know better over the last little bit:
@Carina - just <3 really, you're incredibly sweet and supportive. I love talking with you, because you're really funny and chill and just make me smile and laugh. PLEASE, in the future I 100% want to collaborate more with you because the few times we did were a blast.
@Mea - It's been really nice to chat with you a bit more often recently, and I've been enjoying your novel a lot. I don't think that I express enough in my reviews just how much I love your characters and your style and your world and your story because they are lovely. Also, you're a fabulous Minecraft buddy, and I hope to do that more often! also talk to me about code too because I need a CS friend who isn't a dude
@Tuckster - I think you're really cool and sweet, and I've really enjoyed talking with you the past few weeks. I just love that you're motivated and into 3D printing because I'm super jealous, and I can't believe I haven't read your writing yet? <.< So I need to fix that, haha.
@ShadowVyper - I don't know other descriptors than "cool but really, you're super interesting to talk to, and I really admire what you're up to irl and on the site. I'm glad that we've been able to talk more, and I hope to stick around for a while and hear more about your fish and your pet snake! (I enjoy them from afar lol) Also, it's kinda nice to also have someone who stays up at ridiculous hours with me. ... no it's not 5:25 am as I'm writing this. I'm excited to read your novel!
@veeren - you're a cool guy, and as much crap as everyone gives you and will probably give me for saying things I like talking to you :) It's been fun, and thank you for enabling my obsession with Minecraft and also humoring me by talking with me about it, haha.
@Vincian - I feel like we're always around each other in similar crowds but we don't talk a ton, but I think you're a great dude, super passionate about this site and what you do and it's inspiring to me too :) You've always been encouraging to me, and I'm excited to see what new SBs you're cooking up, because they've always been really cool ideas. Hope that we can talk more! <3
@starlitmind - oh my lord you are a sweet and lovely soul, your reviews are wonderful, and your energy is even more amazing. I really would like to talk to you more in the future! Perhaps you can share your wisdom on poetry because I still have no idea what that even is (unfortunately).
@Magebird - You've got so much energy and passion that it's practically infectious. We didn't talk very much before I left the site, but I'd love to collaborate with you more in RPs and also just pick your brain because you have to have some kind of secret for juggling 3 billion things at the same time. (I'm hoping the DnD RP works out because I'm still quite excited about it, but if not I'd happily catch you in another one ^^ )

And then there's some newer faces (at least who I don't remember <.< Apologies if you knew me before >.> ) that seem really cool and I'd like to get to know @whatchamacallit, @Liebensteiner @anyonewhoIcan'trememberbecauseit'scurrently5:30am

There's still a few people who I still see around occasionally and really appreciate and hope we can talk more and catch up and such <3 @Wolfi @AvantCoffee @AstralHunter @ThePatchworkPilgrims

And if I didn't explicitly tag you and you still want to chat, never ever be afraid to poke me. I love to talk to new people, and I'm still trying to find my way around to all the cool kids around, haha. :)

Have a great 2021 everyone. Thanks for making the end of 2020 a little bit brighter.
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss