YWS Yearbook 2018

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:01 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

On Site
  • I did about 130+ reviews this year.
  • I joined the YWS JM team over on with the Resources group.
  • I joined in and am participating in LMS IV with the novel that is known on here as The Hero's Brother but I affectionately call Carter's Support Group.
  • I started attending Write-Ins and met wonderful friends.
  • I've gotten to read some awesome novels from some even awesome-r writers.
  • I got to participate in Tales From the Airwaves.
  • I stepped outside my comfort zone and tried writing poetry, a script, a short story, and lyrics.

Personal Achievements
  • In terms of writing, I finished the first draft of Hell or High Water that I started writing in April 2017 and am close to finishing revisions.
  • I participated and won NaNo and finished the first draft of The Hybrid Sun and the second draft completed this year.
  • I got back into polo after an elongated break, and officially joined our Girls' Team, and have gotten to travel to another state.
  • I sent in a short story to an anthology contest, won, and now I'm officially a published author with a short story in an anthology.
  • I went back to working at my stable as a stablehand.

People

@BlueAfrica
We both know I was 100% guilty of stealth-reading through the first draft of The Chosen Grandma as you uploaded. We interacted a few times, but it was when we both started attending write-ins that we started talking more. I can't tell you how many laughs you've brought to my life. You helped me through the first draft of my novel, and I'm so glad I've gotten to take a part in your journey through revisions and second drafts, even if it's mostly just for the snarky comments. You're the best mum YWS could ask for, and you're so very wonderful and kind to everyone you talk to. I'm so grateful and delighted you're a part of my life, and I can't wait to see what's in store!

@shaniac
You're busy with your life, but I still wanted to mention you and write this because you were still a huge part of my life and I'll forever be grateful for it. We spent what was probably way too many nights up past 1am, watching Unsolved together and getting up to delirious shenanigans. I got to read the beginning of your mystery project and I'm so glad I got to be with you for that journey from the start to when you took a break. Thank you for all the joy you gave me, for being a part of the late night crew, and just generally being a sweet goofball. I hope you're having a lovely time!

@Cloudkid
Mister man! There's been a lot of ups and downs for both of us, but it's been such an amazing journey and I'm so glad that I get to call you one of my closest friends. Even through your own hardships, you've been there for other people and offered an ear and I admire your strength so much. You have such an incredibly creative and beautiful way with words, and I'm glad I've gotten to read some of the products of that. I hope we have many more adventures and delights together down the road!

@elysian
I first met you after you started reviewing Hell or High Water, and not only am I so grateful for all your comments and insight into that, but I got an amazing person to call my friend out of it! You're an incredibly busy and successful person and such a delight to be around and to hear what's going on in your life. Thank you for being in my life, for following through with my crazy novel journey, and for letting me make snarky comments on your novel!

@ShadowVyper
SHADY! :D You're my snake buddy!! Honestly though- I love hearing about you talk about reptiles, and all the things you've gotten up to in school. You tell awesome (and hilarious) stories about what you've gotten up to that always make me laugh (and introduced me to : o : o : o !!! as a reaction). I've gotten to follow through with TWO of your novel projects and they've both been such a delight to read through! Thanks for putting up with my commentary and demands for description, and I can't wait to see where you end up!

@concord
Baby bee, you're honestly such a delight to be around. You never fail to be a beacon of positivity, and you've been around in the late night crews to talk and laugh with us. I'm so glad I've gotten to known you this year, and I hope I continue talking with you into the next!

@Sonder
My fellow sneaky Chosen Grandma reader ;D Albeit, you were much faster as revealing yourself than I, but I've loved to read some of your commentary and get excited about the characters (*coughbenjaminandkiernancough*) with you! You're art is incredible to see, and you taught me how to look for safe, clean vines (that Edna would approve of). I love the way you write, and even just reading one of your shorts was such an inspiration for one of my favourite writing styles. You're so wonderful to be around, and I hope I can continue calling you my friend for a long time!

@soundofmind
I am constantly amazed by how talented you are in so many creative pursuits. You have such a sweet and wonderful voice, and a beautiful art style, and such a funny and fantastic writing style. You put up with all my nitpicks about horses on your LMS (and I adore Clanny), and the way you get so excited about my LMS delights me to no end and you have no idea how much I cherish what you have to say. I hope to see more from you in the coming year, because it's always such a treat!

@BiscuitsLeGuin
You've been a delight to get to know over this year and see in the wfps! You're so wonderful to talk to, even if we haven't talked too much (grr time zones). I hope we get to talk even more into this new year!

@Corvid
Another wonderful friend I met through the wfps! We don't talk too much, but you've always got such a warm and funny disposition, it's always nice to have you around to talk and laugh with. You're another one of the stunningly talented artists on site, and I always love seeing your artwork!

@Sachiko
Sachipants! I always love seeing you come into pads, even when it's been a long day and you just need to shout a little. Your energy is a delight, and even though we haven't talked too much, it's so incredibly exciting to see you take the journey to publication (even though it's so exhausting). I can't wait to see the day your novel is on shelves, and I hope I get to talk to you more in the future!

@MJTucker
We haven't talked too much, but hearing your journey as you navigate through your sexuality and who you are is amazing and honestly inspiring to watch. You're so passionate and vibrant! And I love your curiosity and the way you always want to hear someone else's side of the story- I admire that so much. I hope I get to talk to you more as well!

@LadyBird
Lizz! You send me awesome horse memes and we've talked about horsey-shenanigans and you actually know what I'm talking about. You have such a unique personality and I love seeing what you come up with for Squills or Res or, well, anything around the site. YWS wouldn't be the same without you around, and thank you for everything you do!

@Oxara
You have so much spirit and so much drive and it's so great to be able to see ho you're growing and finding your own feet. You just gotta realise how truly wonderful you are ;) You have a very kind personality, and you always try your best to reach out to anyone having a hard time. I can't wait to see what the future holds for you!

@ScarlettFire
We haven't talked too much recently, but you've sent me adorable cat pictures and stayed up with the late night crew (even though it's not so late for you haha) to join in on whatever crazy antics we've gotten up to. I'm so glad I've gotten to meet you and talk to you this year, and you're truly a wonderful person!

@rosette
You were one of the first to start reviewing Hell or High Water, and honestly your reviews are what kept me going early on. And I got to read Cedar Ravine while you were working on it, and you definitely got me hooked on pestering other people for descriptions ;D I hope to see more from you in the future!

@Elinor
You helped me when I was learning a little about script-writing, you were such a friendly and fun director for Tales From the Airwaves, and I love to hear about your journey in the worlds of both directing and writing. I can't wait to see where this all takes you, and thank you for talking with me through this year!

And everyone else on YWS! Thank you all for being so amazing and awesome and I love all of you and I can't wait to see where the New Year takes all of us.

Happy New Year everyone! <3
Last edited by mellifera on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

275 Reviews

Reviews: 275
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:17 am
View Likes
elysian says...

On-Site Achievements:

- Featured Member
- Became apart of Squills (even though I never have time for it, it was still an accomplishment for me.)
- Reached five review stars
- Hit six years as a member on YWS
- Hit 25k and growing on my novel
- 59 Green Room Review as a Knight

Off-Site Achievements

- Started my Senior Year
- Made it into College
- 14th in Dance Team Nationals
- 3rd in Dance Team State
- 2nd in Marching Band State
- Stopped vaping nicotine
- Made so many new friends

Thank-yous

@BlueAfrica

Thank you for always letting me impersonate you in WFP. You're are the best person to impersonate and I'm glad that you let me do it. Thank you for endless advice and laughs during the late nights on wfp, you mean lots to me <3

@Cloudkid

I appreciate you so very much. I'm so glad that we have reconnected and that I can call you one of my closest friends on this site. Your strength inspires me in my life, you've overcome so much and you have so much more to overcome but I know you can do it. You have so many people that love you, including me, and I hope I can meet you and hug you in person one day.

@shaniac

Wife, it's been a while since I've been able to chat with you, but I hope everything is well <3 Thank you for letting me and some others talk you into making a yws account, I'm almost positive you had no clue what you were getting yourself into, but I'm so glad that I've gotten to talk and get to know you more <3

@mellifera

your new username is still so weird for me but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Oh, where do I begin? Out of everyone on this list, I probably feel the most connected to you. I love love love your work and I'm so happy to always hear your feedback on my posts. I feel like we are similar in many ways and you always are the best listener. I'm sorry I'm never around anymore and I know we haven't caught up a lot recently, but I'm always thinking of my wifey <3 I sweaaaaar I will work on my reviews omg I'm so badly unmotivated BUT I WILL DO IT I SWEAR. love you <3

@ShadowVyper

I don't know how I will top your post about me, so I'll just simply say I am so glad we've gotten reconnected. it's crazy to think we used to co-author a story. I look back at that now and see how far we have both come, and I know a lot of my improvement I can owe to advice you gave me and lessons you taught me, so thank you so very much for always motivating me to be a better writer <3

@concord

I'm so glad we have gotten closer due to wfp. I feel like I've just started to get to know you, and I'm so glad we've become friends. I hope we can continue to get to know each other and become closer in 2019 <3

@Carina

hi, ilu. I'm so happy we're friends and I miss our chats. Thank you so much for the postcard and I apologize for never getting around to sending something back. Maybe one day you'll get a random postcard from Delonie and you'll probably be confused at first and then remember its lylas. <3

and although I'm not even sure any of these people are active anymore, I need to shoutout these wonderful humans that I love and miss dearly.

@Lumi
@CowLogic
@TimmyJake
@TommySneak
@LadySpark
@Blues

<3

2018, rest in peace. you were a mix of good and bad, and I hope 2019 holds bigger and better things for me. 2018 was a year for learning, 2019 will be a year of thriving. <3
elysian: (adj.) beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect.

formally lylas.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:15 pm
View Likes
manilla says...

Manilla's Day-Late YWS Yearbook 2019

In my life, 2018 was not that bad of a year. I became more confident, I opened up my horizons a bit, and continued doing the things I loved doing. It was definitely an improvement from 2016. But you know how the world keeps on turning, and therefore, we move on to reforge a new character for ourselves.

2018 on YWS to say at the least was incomplete since I only joined in March, but I met so many people that helped me out and made me feel like this was my second home. Thank you for giving me Featured Member. I managed to squeeze in 75 or so reviews before the year ended.

For writing, I won a national silver medal early in the year, which I was proud of and continue to be. I didn’t get to finish a novel, but I can say that things have improved. The only way to go from here, hopefully, is up.

Here’s to a happy 2019!

Cheers to a new year,
Manilla
Pronouns: she/they

From the wild manila folder of YWS's office.

When the last tree has fallen
And the rivers are poisoned
You cannot eat money

I do reviews: https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=108365

386 Reviews

Reviews: 386
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 pm
View Likes
Dossereana says...

EagleFly's Day-Late YWS Yearbook 2019
This year was a very good year for me on YWS, I feel like I met some new people that really now help me or there all ways there to just help me out with somethings, and some of you feel like YWS friends.
@alliyah
I really like her she was following me all the time but I never really talked to here until this year, shes now like a close friend she all most always reviews my work and gives me corech to write more.
@Eros
is really nice I met her this year for my sister asked if she could please follow me, and after that I started tagging her all the time with my work, and most of the time shes always liking it, like shes letting me no keep writing.
@Panikos
was really nice to me to when I came across him, he started tagging me with his works that our really good by the way, and we got to now each other.
@MusesOfATimeLady
this person asked me to review something of there's so I did, that makes me feel very happy for I feel like they, would like it if I review theirs stuff and all that.
@Sree
and before that Sree asked me to review something of hers wich was very unexpected for me, she also always likes my work.
@Oxara
was also a very nice person when I met them, for there very funny with what they say sometimes, but at the same time very kind.
@ReviewBuddy
and then it was this person asking if I could particapt in theteamtortosmach if that's how you spell it, winch was very nice.
I guess what I am trying to say is thanks for giving me a very nice year with you all thank you. :D Happy new year every body.
Oh you just have to wait, and peace will come to you!

she/her

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 am
View Likes
Mea says...

(I swear I made a placeholder post for this back at the beginning of December but apparently I didn't???)

This was quite the year. In fact, I can't honestly really consider it a single year in my mind, because it's so clearly divided in two halves: everything before college started, and everything after.

Real Life Stuff
So yeah, I graduated high school at last! Those last few months were pretty rough, to put it mildly. I was really lonely, drowning in schoolwork, nervous about the future, and overall just feeling extremely stuck. The summer was at least less busy than high school, but we were in the process of moving back to the United States from Tokyo, and spending almost three months spent in hotels and other people's houses sucks physically and emotionally.

Then college started, and everything changed.

College has been the best experience of my life, hands-down. I literally never knew it was possible to be this happy. I've been able to make friends quickly, adapt well to the schedule and workload, try new things, and just have so much fun. I genuinely feel like the luckiest person in the world. There's definitely been some challenges and some ways I've had to adapt or change, but at heart I feel like mostly the same person I was at the beginning of 2018, but finally in an environment where I can make the most of my potential.

YWS Stuff
The downside to having an amazing time in college has been that I've had almost no time for YWS. I feel like I haven't talked to a lot of you guys properly in ages, and I miss it. But at the same time, I don't know that that's going to change, or that I really want it to change. I'll always be around to some extent, because this is my writing home, but I think the heyday of my time on here might be past.

That being said, I'm still proud of some of the things I've accomplished on YWS this year!
  • I hit 1000 reviews. That was really cool.
  • I tried NaPoWriMo (and failed miserably, because it was still senior year) but still got some poetry I liked out of it.
  • I got to run Duels of the Reviewers! That was a lot of fun, even when no one really wrote reviews for it.
  • My writing goals have had more mixed success, since I still have not managed to finish a draft of Eos despite having tried for more than a year. BUT I did do a whole third draft of Mixing Magic, and I've started a new fantasy novel that I absolutely love. I really feel like I'm coming into my stride as a writer and have been able to be so much more creative, and it's a wonderful feeling.

I don't really know what next year will bring, but I'm excited for it. :)

Some Quick Shoutouts

@Carlito - For sticking with me and my writing all these years. <3 I'm hoping I can read Butterfly Chasers sometime!

@Panikos - For continuing to delight me with A Pocketful of Posies. <3

@Sonder - For all the fun I had reading Hero For Hire - I hope it's not gone forever!

@Lightsong - For keeping me busy with Dancer of the Fire Blade - it's been great watching the story develop. We need to have a proper chat sometime. :)

@concord - For reading Mixing Magic! And for being a wonderful moderator and fun person in general. :)

Here's to a great year!
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy