z

Young Writers Society

12 Days of Reviewing

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:27 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

We've made it to the 9th Day of the #12DaysReviewing! Thank you to all who have participated so far - and remember there's still time to participate if you haven't. You can complete the past or current challenges any time before December 23, and post in the main thread to claim your 100 point prize. Today's Tip and Challenge are from the lovely reviewer and BRB member @tgirly - it's about asset based comments. Happy Reviewing!

Review Challenge:
Try writing an "Asset-Based Review" based on the tip below. Make sure your review is at least 1000 characters. If you complete the challenge any time before December 23, go ahead and post here on the Main Thread so that you can receive your 100 point prize!

Review Tip: Tip by tgirly
There are two basic types of comments that one can leave in a review: comments on deficits in the piece, ie what needs to be fixed or rewritten, what's wrong, and the other type is comments on the assets in the piece, ie what you like and what the author is doing right. Often, we put more energy and time into pointing out everything that the author is doing wrong and then only mention the good things as a way to balance out the criticism. Praise becomes an afterthought. When we write a review like this, we're not fully utilizing our asset-based comments. Often, the writer can learn just as much from what they did right as what they did wrong. The key is taking the time to explain why what works does work, analyzing it just as much as is done with deficits. Asset-based feedback can also be used to point out the deficits, such as by saying "You did this really well here. I want that level of description/character development/attention to dialogue formatting over here." When we give feedback based off of assets of the piece, we make the lessons learned throughout the review much more palatable, which might make them stick with the author better. As Mary Poppins might say, "A Spoonful of Sugar makes the Medicine go Down."
"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

6 Reviews

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:50 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

Here we are at Day 10! The tip is all about getting motivated to review, which is really the first step to writing any review.

Review Challenge: suggested by @KotGRCommander
Have you ever had your work sitting without Reviews for days, or weeks, or a month? It's not the best feeling. Did you know when you writing Reviews for works in the Green Room, you actually get a Review Point bonus! Today we're offering an added bonus - write a Green Room Review to complete today's challenge. Try to click back to the works that are oldest in there for an extra challenge. And don't forget to post a link on the 12 Days of Reviewing Thread in order to claim your points from the challenge.

Review Tip: Reviewing Motivation
With all these great tips, at some point, you might be thinking to yourself, the problem isn't that I don't have ideas for how to review, but that I don't have the motivation to review. Here's some tips, for lighting that reviewing fire again!
* Goal Setting
- Just like in writing, setting goals for reviewing, is a good way to keep you motivated. YWS actually makes that pretty easy with the different leaderboards, stars, and groups like KotGR and BRB. It might seem like a small thing, but just setting a goal is also a good way to evaluate what you want to do on the site too. Set a manageable goal for yourself monthly. Maybe you want to get in the top 10 on the month's leaderboard, or maybe you're schedule will just allow you to write 1-3 reviews, you know your schedule. Announcing it on your wall is a good way to keep accountable too.
* Impact Making
- The point of reviewing is not just to type words in a text box, submit them into the interwebs, and then get more digital points. It's to learn more about what makes writing work, to help out others, to build relationships, and encourage a community. When you forget the impact of your reviewing it is really easy to just stop altogether - because it'll seem like a mindless waste of time. Consider nurturing some of the relationships you make when reviewing, start a WRFF thread, respond to comments on your review, start reviewing multiple pieces for an author, or just take inventory on the impact you are making.

Resources for Reviewing Motivators:
Spoiler! :

* Learn more about the Knights of the Green Room a society that sets goals for Green Room Reviewing
* Consider setting up a Will Review For Food thread, this is a great way to review in an impactful way, because you know the people you are reviewing for want a review from you.
* The Accountability Club is mostly for keeping accountable with writing in general, but their write-ins are open to all (and can be used for writing reviews in), and telling other people your goals is a good way to make sure you keep them.
* The Better Review Bureau is a place to go for more challenges to keep you motivated to review. They also offer mentors if you think you could use some help from a specific person to help you review more.
Last edited by ReviewBuddy on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We're reviewing everything to see how we can do it better, faster, and more efficiently."
-David Neeleman

6 Reviews

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:50 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

The 12 Days of Reviewing are almost over, here's Day 11! It's about getting feedback on reviewing!

Review Challenge:
While reviewing can help improve your own writing process, ultimately the goal is to engage with another person in a way that is helpful to them! Sometimes it's hard to know if what you're saying is coming across how you want it to, today's challenge might seem intimidating, but it can also be really fruitful. Today's challenge is to ask for feedback on a review. Resources for finding someone to give you feedback are under the spoiler at the bottom of this post. Don't forget to post in the main thread if you've completed the challenge.

Review Tip:
You might have heard about the value of getting one on one feedback from a reviewer about your work, but there is also a lot of value in getting that type of feedback for your reviews! And some of the same advice will apply. You don't want someone to tell you how to write your review word for word - that's not going to be helpful in the long run. When asking (or giving feedback) consider asking about more "big picture" things.
- Is what I'm saying clear?
- Is what I'm saying helpful?
- Is what I'm saying the correct balance of kindness/honesty?

It can be sort of intimidating asking for feedback, but most people aren't going to tear you apart, and will know you're just looking to improve your reviewing. It's worth doing research on the type of reviews the person themselves writes too, so you know it's a good match. Also remember ultimately reviewing is up to the reviewer, it's okay to disagree with what the suggest for you, but keep an open mind to their feedback.

Check out the spoiler below for resources on acquiring Review Feedback.

Resources on Getting Review Feedback:
Spoiler! :

* The easiest way to complete this challenge is just to ask a friend or someone you've recently written a review for - you can even use this challenge as a way to break the ice.
* If you're in the BRB club you can ask for feedback from your Review Mentor.
* Whether you're in the club or not, you can ask for feedback from any of the Senior Mentors (@LadyBird, @alliyah, @Kale, @BiscuitsLeGuin ) just mention you're completing the 12 Days of Reviewing Challenge!
* And of course your neighborhood Raccoon @ReviewBuddy is always willng to give Review Feedback, just mention this challenge in a PM.
-David Neeleman

6 Reviews

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:48 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

It's Day 12, and you know what that means! We've made it to the end of the 12 Days of Reviewing. Thanks for following along with me this December, with the challenges and tips, and remember if you're interested in completing any of the challenges for the 100 point prize you can complete any of them out of order (no need to do all 12!) just make sure to post in the main thread by the end of December.

Review Challenge:
We've made it to the last day of the 12 Days of Reviewing, so be sure to post which challenges you completed in the 12 Days Thread so you can get your points! Today's Reviewing Challenge is to go and like 5 different reviews that you think are well done that you see on the site. "Liking" reviews takes very little effort or time, but is a good way to encourage good reviewing too!

Review Tip: Find a Review Style
Ultimately, you can read a lot of tips about writing and about reviewing, but at the end a lot of it comes down to you the reviewer or writer. Our last tip is to commit to your own reviewing style, find what works for you, and go for it! Take ownership in your reviews. And have fun out there reviewing! Maybe your style is having a neat banner at the end, or a signature sign-off, maybe you have a series of questions you use to format your reviews... experiment with different styles and get out there and review.

Further Review Resources:
Spoiler! :

12 Days of Reviewing might be drawing to a close, but you can still learn more about reviewing or share your own wisdom and encouragement around the site.
* Share Tips with the hashtag #ReviewTips
* Check out the Review Resources in the Knowledge Base
* Consider joing a Review Club like The Better Review Bureau or Knights of the Green Room
* If you recieve a particularally great review, why not give a shout-out over at the Review Testimonial Thread .
* Post your own Review Insights in the 12 Days of Reviewing Forum Thread
-David Neeleman

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 am
View Likes
tgirly says...

I completed Day 10's challenge! work/FantasyWriter76/The-Emerald-Prince--Chapter-1-Shallow-Promises-141794?c=662816#c662816
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:16 am
View Likes
tgirly says...

I completed the challenge for Day 2, review something outside of my comfort zone. I reviewed an article:
work/Ejay1806/Shades-of-Silence-143033?c=662821#c662821
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

6 Reviews

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:56 pm
View Likes
ReviewBuddy says...

Thanks for participating @tgirly! I just sent you your points.

If anyone else wants to knock out a few of the challenges Review Day is a good opportunity to do so - and you're welcome to complete the challenges until the very end of December, just make sure to post in this thread once you've completed them!

Happy Reviewing everyone!
-David Neeleman

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:25 pm
View Likes
TheDepressedCat says...

I did challenge five, although that is no award-winning thing to do.

Reviews: 0

6 Reviews

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:49 am
ReviewBuddy says...

@TheDepressedCat I just saw your note! Sending points your way! Thank you for participating.
-David Neeleman

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:41 pm
View Likes
Oxara says...

I think I can still get points and boy was it difficult I was rushed for time(if I was to do it in time for review day) and still plan on doing more, but for review day I thought with the time limt of it it would be best to try to do a few of these challenges at a time. So here is what I have done

challenge 1 complete with my review on Life or Death Chapter 1-
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/Shikora/Life-or-Death-Chapter-1-The-Sand-Wyvern-Fort-142748?c=663083#c663083

challenge 2 complete with my review on poetry of In Dreams We Wander-
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/adelaide459/In-Dreams-We-Wander-142861?c=663091#c663091

challenge 3 complete with my review on poetry of In Dreams We Wander-
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/adelaide459/In-Dreams-We-Wander-142861?c=663091#c663091

challenge 5 complete with Shady's review on my work The demon maiden
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=142545#c662941

challenge 7 complete with my hightlighting Shady's reivew on my work the Demon maiden
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=29486&start=60

challenge 8 complete with my review of In Dreams we wander-
Spoiler! :

challenge 9 (maybe I would double look at it but I think so) complete with my review of in Dreams we wander-
Spoiler! :

challenge 12 complete with my likes on Shady's review, Eagle fly's review,Omnom's, Alliyah, and Mea's
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=142545#c662941

Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=143051

Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=142465

Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=142987

Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=142623

each review I liked for a different reason (which I tell if you like)

Furthermore I know I doubled up on a lot of these and I don't mind if I don't get points for the ones I doubled up on tbh I just did this so that I could become a better reviewer and it was fun especially with a time limt on my reviews and trying to double or triple up on reviews :)

386 Reviews

Reviews: 386
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 am
View Likes
Dossereana says...

I did 13 reviews this moth and 6 for review day I did what I could to partake in this event, I did Day 2 and Day 1.
Oh you just have to wait, and peace will come to you!

she/her

33 Reviews

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:05 am
View Likes
Oxara says...

Update-
challenge 6 with my review on The Risen - chapter fourteen
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=142990

And
Challenge challenge 10 with my review on The Risen - chapter fourteen
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=142990

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:03 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

I did the request a review challenge, and liked 5 reviews, and the mix up format one - sorry can't remember the challenge numbers, can post if needed! :D
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

33 Reviews

Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:48 am
View Likes
Oxara says...

Update

Challenge 4 complete with my review of "It Happened in the Middle of the Night"
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/hiraeth/It-Happened-in-the-Middle-of-the-Night-143042?c=663208#c663208

and

Challenge 11 complete with my request to alliyah to review my reivew on "It happened in the middle of the night" (quick note she said she would but hasn't gotten around to it yet so if you want to consider this complete or not is really up to you)
Spoiler! :
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work/hiraeth/It-Happened-in-the-Middle-of-the-Night-143042?c=663208#c663208

And with that I manged to do all 12 challenges, which I am pretty happy with. And it honestly helped (especially with poem writing and inspiration to write more poems) This is a great reviewing practice thank you so much for it @ReviewBuddy and a huge shout out to @alliyah for helping with my poems stuff

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content