z

Young Writers Society

Buying: Motivation to write

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:01 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I need motivation to write! I'm not sure how to get it. If anyone can get me writing again, I'll follow your novel, poetry, short stories - whatever you'd like me to follow/review! - I'd also give you all the points that are currently in my name (1580) and as a bonus I'd write you a love poem. You'll know I'm writing again because I'll be posting to YWS too, since I really really want to but have zero things to post.

Desperate woman here.
Last edited by Holysocks on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
100% autistic

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:39 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

You have a world inside you, and the rest of us would love to hear about it and hear every detail of it. Don't worry if you're not a perfect storyteller, if occasionally your grammar slips or if you just can't describe a scene just right. We can't wait to hear about every single happening in whatever way possible. There are characters bursting inside your brain, released through the flowing of ink and begging you constantly to be free, free on paper and ready to be discovered. Those worlds are unique to you, and only you know what they are. You can escape from the problems of this world and just spend hours in total bliss or as the heroine of a chaotic world, and we're all ready to receive your world and help you express it better.

Will you share it with us?
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

I'm not very inspirational, so here's a kitten.
She's begging you to write something, cause she wants to read it. You wouldn't want to let her down, would you?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:57 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Thomas Mann once said "A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people' and I entirely agree. The fact that you're finding it hard to write shows you're serious about it and that you're worried about writing something good and you don't want to start in case you don't have the right idea/ you can't do it justice. Put those fears to one side and instead approach every piece of writing as if it were just a fun practice exercise - you can do the serious stuff later, once you're ready.

For now, create a character or two and throw them into a scene that you find interesting. Don't worry about what the plot is for the moment or how these characters came together, just pen a scene which you personally have always wanted to write. For me, it's usually a a swashbuckling battle scene or a rescue and the more bizarre the opponents, the better. I did this once and ended up inventing my own version of the gargoyle species because I decided I wanted a scene where they had to rescue the most irritating, kill-able character ever and I needed a good reason why my character would rescue him and I decided in the end that he was honour bound as a gargoyle. So of course I had to invent the gargoyle system of honour to go with it and had a great time making the characters fight for the most worthless prize ever.

This is a freebie by the way and I want nothing in return other than for you to go away and write something. Because I've been there and not writing isn't fun and it happens when we forget that writing is fun so throw away the rules and write what you want to write.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

494 Reviews

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:30 am
Holysocks says...

Thank you everyone who replied and tried to motivate me! c: It actually helped, I think, considering I wrote a handful of words today that I actually enjoyed writing! I'm far from completely 'motivated' but it worked today, and for that I owe you all a lot of gratitude.

@MJTucker and @Sheyren I'd be happy to read some of your guys's work, whether that's a novel or shorts or poems or anything, let me know! c: If you don't know what you want me to read/comment on, then I can just keep an eye out for your stuff. You can also tag me if you post something! ^_^ Also I wasn't thinking when I said I'd give my points as a prize... would you both be alright if I split them between you? In any case, thank you so so much for trying to get me motivated. It really means a lot to me because I've been so stuck.

@Rydia, I know you said you don't want anything, but thank you so much for the advice. It really did help out a lot. I'm not sure that you post much anymore (maybe you do) but if so, I'd be happy to read some and comment/review!

Also possibly expect some love poems showing up on all of your guys's walls. ;)
100% autistic

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 am
sheysse says...

You don't need to give me any points or anything, since I didn't put much into my message. XD

561 Reviews

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 pm
Atticus says...

@Holysocks

I don't need any points, just wanted to give you some motivation to write.
[he/him]

494 Reviews

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:56 pm
Holysocks says...

You both are really kind. I still wanna read/review some of your guys's stuff thoughhhhh.
100% autistic

561 Reviews

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:34 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

@Holysocks
You're more than welcome to review my short piece "Genetic Modification" or "The Explosion: The Making of a Man"

Thanks!
[he/him]

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:22 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

A love poem is plenty acceptable!

Also, one last piece of advice that I found really helped me when I wanted to re-engage with my novel: write every day and make it a set goal. It can be something tiny like 300 words and then you suddenly have 9000 words in a month or 108,000 words in a year - that's a whole novel and then some and it took you less than half an hour every day!

To quote Neil Gaiman: “This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard.”
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

don't try me bro
— Seirre