Young Writers Society

Buying: 1 art commission for 400 points

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:06 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I would like to commission a piece of art where the subject is a pirate ship during a storm. I would like there to be at least 2 people and 1 ghost visible on the deck. One of these people should be a female captain with long, brown hair. I don't mind about the others. This piece of art can be done in any form - pencils/ chalks/ paints/ photo manipulation as long as you own/ correctly credit any free to use sources you rely on.

I am offering 400 points in return for this. I am willing to negotiate on this fee because I am not an artist and understand a piece based on such vague requirements could take hours or weeks.

I would like this piece to be completed within two months from reaching an agreement.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:54 am
View Likes
Aley says...

What type of pirate ship are you looking for? Can you find an image that gives a reference for what sort of ship detail you want?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

I'm thinking something smaller but fierce looking - the kind of ship which would have 10-20 pirates on board. Maybe something like this: http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20070406/pirate-ship.jpg
Writing Gooder

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:34 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Ok, but that ship is a galleon, and a bit too large for only 10-20 people to man. It's usual complacent would be around 80 people and it would still have room for another hundred or so afterwards. If you are looking for a ship that is smaller but looks like a galleon it will have less masts. Let me see if I can find one to recommend using as an alternative ^^

806 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Oh nice, XD the Galleon I was thinking of was 15-30 for a peaceful trip across the atlantic, so if you kept your numbers up a little and had it really hectic to make sure everything was done during a fight, like maybe not arm all guns at once cuz of moving the sails or what have you, a galleon would be fine!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

15-30 sounds great!And yes, I'm happy for not all the guns to be armed :) Do we have an agreement?
Writing Gooder

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Hold on, I don't want to say I can do it and you say "Oh my god, I hate it" so how about we do this instead. I'll draw you a sketch, if you approve of the sketch, then I'll agree to finish the sketch and make the full drawing. That way you know what it's going to look like before you agree that I should be your artist. Does that sound okay to you?

[Usually when commissioning art you would have seen my portfolio when I approached you for the job to "show you my skillset"]

(actually this should probably be the general guidelines for art commissions so people aren't feeling cheated when they don't get what they expect due to artist skill.)

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:03 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Here is a rough sketch. I would do it rather monochrome so that I could cut back on a lot of the ship detail because drawing ships is not my strong suit.

I put the ghost in the rigging, the captain back where the wheel would be, and a caller on deck to help navigate the storm. There would be a few more bodies tossed in with the coloring, more suggestions of them than actual detailed people though, and I don't think I'd be able to get much detail on the captain, ghost, or crewman, it would mostly just be suggestions of them due to the storm, size of the ship, and how I've got it laid out.

If this is alright with you, I'd be happy to accept. If not, tell me what you'd like me to change, and any suggestions you would like to improve the picture, and I'll do my best to try another sketch!
Attachments
Pirate Shipjpeg.jpg

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am
Rydia says...

I like it! Maybe add a torn sail for one they didn't manage to pull in on time - I think usually they pull the main/ top sails in first so it would be a bottom one. Other than that, I think you've chosen a good angle to take it from and I expected the figures would be more vague representations than really clear so that works for me!
Writing Gooder

The very worst use of time is to do very well what need not be done at all.
— Benjamin Tregoe