z

Young Writers Society

DT - Event 10: YWS Scavenger Hunt

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:00 am
Meshugenah says...

Use this thread to ask questions about, complain about, or yell at us about the scavenger hunt! Remember, though: all entries must be PMed to myself and @Rydia; no answers should be shared or posted here!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:32 am
TheGatherer says...

Gasp! This is the first scavenger hunt I do on my own. So, any newbie-friendly strategy tips worth sharing, please?

Spoiler! :
Apart from one or two questions, I have no idea where to get all those answers. Some really crazy questions out there :D
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:35 am
View Likes
Audy says...

@TheGatherer, it's going to involve a lot of playing with the search bar, a lot of digging around to those links down at the bottom that everyone ignores, & a lot of poking through old dusty forums.

Spoiler! :
A good place to start is looking at last year's scavenger hunt ;)

8 Reviews

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:47 am
TheGatherer says...

@Audy Thanks!

Spoiler! :
Umm umm! Since you're here too... What does it mean to be "Audy-active"? And by "last year's scavenger hunt", do you mean last Olympics scavenger hunt? So many questions on my head right now :?

Happy "digging" everyone!

696 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:30 am
Audy says...

Spoiler! :

@TheGatherer - I think what that question is asking for are poetry mods who are retired and no longer active on the site. psst*

See how there are a list of names not in crews? Those are the nonactive ones. Now you just have to figure out which one of those names were poetry mods. I, of course, don't count, so you won't get the point if you put my name.

8 Reviews

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:47 am
TheGatherer says...

@Audy I see... but I was actually asking why don't you count for those eheh...

Well, I appreciate your help, but I'm giving up for today. Too much on my head, and I just can't figure out half of what those questions mean. And as I've already got no chance against the older members, I'd rather use that time in some really meaningless activities...

But thanks for the intention (:

271 Reviews

Reviews: 271
Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:50 am
View Likes
Gravity says...

I was wondering if the mods could specify, you mention a lot about questions reused in "the last scavenger hunt" or the "scavenger hunt from last year" and there have been several scanvger hunts. There was one for the YWS birthday, and idr the rest but if you could specify that in the actual scavenger page?

Question 8: "how many sections did the last scavenger hunt have?"

are you referring to the scavenger hunt from the YWSiversary or the last olympic scavenger hunt?

Question 9: Have we re-used more or less questions in this Scavenger Hunt than last time?

once again, can you specify? I'm not sure if there has been a scavenger hunt since the YWS bday, are you asking us to compare how many questions have been reused from bday to now, to the one before the bday to the bday? or are you going purely olympic? This is really really confusing.

Medium:
3. What were the names of the four teams for the Summer review event run by Rydia?

The summer review event this year? last year? When was this?

5. Who has been featured member twice in December?

I'm assuming you mean December 2015.

10. What happened to question 7?

Idk if I'm taking this too seriously but is this referencing something or is it just a joke and you're looking for the funniest response...?

Devilish

4. What year was the first YWS Writing Olympics held?

Are you aware that this question is identical to question 7 in the easy section?

Heather/Bekah
3. How many questions have we re-used in this year’s Scavenger Hunt? (bonus point if you can list 3 of them)

Once again, to which scavenger hunt are we comparing this to?

4. What is Meshugenah’s sports team?

Her favorite sports team or the sports team she is on...?

I'm sorry if it seems like I picked this apart, it's just that these are really confusing to the point where I don't exactly know what to look for because I don't always know what you're trying to ask XD
And the heart is hard to translate
It has a language of its own
It talks in tongues and quiet sighs,
And prayers and proclamations

-Florence + The Machine (All This and Heaven Too)

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:55 am
tgirly says...

Hey, so some of the questions from the other scavenger hunt are similarly worded. For question three in the last section, are we looking for exact wordage, or just asking about the same thing? And will the questions just be reused from the last scavenger hunt, or from all of them?
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

696 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:15 am
Audy says...

@Meshugenah, @Rydia - tagging one of you to see about some of the questions asked above, cause I have no idea either :3

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:25 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I'll answer a couple things quickly, and let @Rydia contradict me as needed.

If we say "the last", and only that we mean the last scavenger hunt we did.

Audy active = still around YWS, just a bit ghost like. We want entirely ghost-like.

And to note! Every answer is findable on YWS. Some may be trickier than others (ok, a lot more), but they are findable.

(there was at least one that made me want to throw something at Heather, true story)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:17 am
View Likes
Mea says...

...Please tell me that "Literary Miscellaneous Crew" means General Literature Crew. Is that what Gen Lit used to be called?
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:20 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Okay I'm feeling generous so I'll answer some of the questions but please note that some of these are purposefully written in a tricky way! We never promise to make this easy ;)

are you referring to the scavenger hunt from the YWSiversary or the last olympic scavenger hunt?

Question 9: Have we re-used more or less questions in this Scavenger Hunt than last time?

once again, can you specify? I'm not sure if there has been a scavenger hunt since the YWS bday, are you asking us to compare how many questions have been reused from bday to now, to the one before the bday to the bday? or are you going purely olympic? This is really really confusing.

As Bekah said, last is in terms of the most recent. We don't count Olympics scavenger hunts any differently than birthday ones and in most years we haven't run more than one. So yes, you need to compare how many questions were re-used this time to how many were re-used last time, but by re-used, we mean in any scavenger hunt ever. So we might have re-used a couple of questions from the year before that and some from three years ago.

Medium:
3. What were the names of the four teams for the Summer review event run by Rydia?

The summer review event this year? last year? When was this?

That's for you to work out! There has only ever been one Summer review event which was explicitly run by me and had four teams, which gives you enough information to do some searching.

5. Who has been featured member twice in December?

I'm assuming you mean December 2015.

I mean any December. There may be multiple answers to the question or it might be that only one person has ever been featured twice in a December.

10. What happened to question 7?

Idk if I'm taking this too seriously but is this referencing something or is it just a joke and you're looking for the funniest response...?

There's certainly a right answer to this but we're also very tongue in cheek so some of the questions are almost impossible to answer unless you know the site and us really well.

Devilish

4. What year was the first YWS Writing Olympics held?

Are you aware that this question is identical to question 7 in the easy section?

No, it's different. If it's in the devilish section then the wording is going to be super important and that should give you a clue that it's so not as easy as you think. Or maybe it is the same and we're just having fun with you. Who knows!

Heather/Bekah
3. How many questions have we re-used in this year’s Scavenger Hunt? (bonus point if you can list 3 of them)

Once again, to which scavenger hunt are we comparing this to?

All past scavenger hunts. Questions could have been re-used from absolutely any of them and as long as the intent of the question and the answer are the same, it's a question being re-used, even if the wording was tweaked a little.

4. What is Meshugenah’s sports team?

Her favorite sports team or the sports team she is on...?

That one requires some research on Meshugenah but once you've searched enough, the answer is relatively clear.

...Please tell me that "Literary Miscellaneous Crew" means General Literature Crew. Is that what Gen Lit used to be called?

@Mea I shouldn't answer this but like I said, I'm in a nice mood. It's certainly not the old name for the Gen. Lit Crew. Research more ;)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:21 am
Rydia says...

Sorry there should have been a @Gravity tag in there somewhere!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:25 am
View Likes
Mea says...

@Rydia - Yeah, I figured it out. xD
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:03 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Rydia wrote:It's certainly not the old name for the Gen. Lit Crew. Research more ;)

*researches*

OOOOO__OOOOO
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

Be careful or be roadkill.
— Calvin