z

Young Writers Society

Results - Event 8: The Haikai Challenge

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:07 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

In a shocking turn of events that shocked the judge, only two entries met all of the (admittedly quite stringent) criteria for modified haikai, with a number of notably experienced poets stumbling in the syllable regard.

With the form being the core aspect of the challenge, these wayward syllables resulted in shockingly dramatic point deductions, and a rather surprising result when it came to award the prizes.

And thus I present to you the shockingly shocking results which shocked the judge:

Silver
@CandyWizard
somewhat ironic.

Thanks go out to all the participants who, while failing to write precisely to form, all wrote entertaining pieces. The battle for the Bronze was quite close, especially with several contestants displaying exceptional creativity in form and subject.

The judge would also like to extend to all contestants an offer of private commentary of their entries, should it be desired. Simply PM the judge, and the judge shall supply, or else link the work, and the judge shall leave a review.

@Mea @EmilyRMaiorano @niteowl @AdmiralKat @TheSilverFox @Rydia @Merkava120 @TheGatherer
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 pm
View Likes
tgirly says...

Alas! I now see the blunder I've committed! I miscounted syllables on my second chorus line! -Shakes head in shocked, unabashed ashamedness.-

I wasn't shocked at all when I saw alliyah and CandyWizard had won; I thought theirs were well-writ. Congratulations to you two, and congrats to all the other contenders whose poems were also wonderful.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:21 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Oh, you're kidding me. I somehow managed to copy/paste the version in which I hadn't fixed that mistake in the second line. Oh well.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:29 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

xD I knew I was over syllable count on that line but I liked it so I kept it?

Congratulations to the three winners!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy