Young Writers Society

DT - Event 6: Lovely Limericks of Poetry

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:00 am
Aley says...

Lovely Limericks of Poetry Event

Have any questions, comments, thoughts, or limericks that you absolutely love? Share them here! There is a lot on the internet to help with Limericks and they're pretty easy to come up with, so here is the best place to ask for help, talk about what you're doing, and discuss the event.

Shadow Poetry: Limerick This one explains how to make a limerick at the top.
Poetry through the Ages: Limerick The explanation on this one is on the next page.
Kidzone: Limerick Another explanation of how to write them, and examples.
Poem Hunter: Limerick This is a list of all Limericks on Poem Hunter

There once was a judge named Aley
Who wanted a limerick quite badly
she wrote one down
and peddled it around
until the Olympians came gladly!

The best way I've found to come up with limericks like the one above is to just keep rewriting the first line until you find a rhyme you like, and then letting it come naturally. If it doesn't work, try a new opening line! Eventually you'll find the one that works best for you.

Onto the discussion!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:19 am
TheGatherer says...

Hello everyone! I'm sorry to be the first one to post here, but I've got a petty question. Does syllable count in those numbers, or can we do others? The first example says to follow the following structure: "9-9-6-6-9". The rhythm should also be: "Lines 1, 2, 5: weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak Lines 3, 4: weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak"

I found this a perfect example, but due to the narrower lack of possibilities, is it allowed to submit, say a poem with a syllable metric of "10-10-5-5-10" and a rhythm of "Lines 1, 2 and 5: STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG, weak, weak, STRONG; Lines 3, 4: weak, STRONG, weak, STRONG, STRONG, weak.

This might not make much sense, but I've never dwelved consciently in the Limerick structure, and I want to make sure where I'm stepping in...
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown

806 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:26 am
Aley says...

It makes total sense @TheGatherer and I'm actually going to be rather lax with the syllables. I'm not going to be counting them! All I want is the cadence to be right, so if you have the right cadence, the beat, then I'm happy with that.

Actually while limericks are said to be 9-9-6-6-9, the rules of a limerick are also rather gentle and they even mention that some of them might have only 7 or up to 10 syllables. It's more about the beat, the attitude, and the end rhyme. It HAS to have 2 lines that are SHORTER than the rest as the 3rd and 4th lines, and 3 lines that are LONGER than the rest for the 1st, 2nd, and 5th line. Aside from that and the rhyme, you've got pretty much free reign.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:33 am
TheGatherer says...

@Aley Oh thank you. Let's see what Eire-like poetry may come out of this (:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:34 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Okay I was going to ask if Humpty Dumpty was really a limerick since it seems to have a totally different rhythm from what I think of as a limerick (eg "There once was a man from Nantucket"). But if you're not as picky about the syllable count maybe it is? I don't know.

Also, just for fun, here's my autobiographical limerick from NaPo that I so wish I could re-submit.

There once was a girl with a Master's
Whose job search felt like a disaster.
To the world she applied,
but she got no reply,
'cept to say someone else was faster.

And in case you're wondering, I did get a job so this is no longer my life. Yay!
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

806 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 am
Aley says...

Yeah, not 100% a limerick, but it has the right sort of endings to it.

Two long lines,
two short ones.
Another long line.

I really could have picked a better example, but I want to give people a variety and things that they are familiar with. =/

524 Reviews

Reviews: 524
Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:36 am
View Likes
felistia says...

Okay so this isn't a question. I was playing around with the limericks and I came up with one for @Aley. I'm not entering it into the competition since it wasn't my best, but I wanted to show it. :D

Silver Fox

My dear silver fox,
Sitting atop those rocks.
Why is it that you have six tails,
Waving around you like fine sails,
It’s a wonder they don’t get into knots.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:29 am
Lightsong says...

If only I can submit multiple entries. Limericks are fun to make. =)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

806 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:55 am
Aley says...

XD Sorry, but if you want to revise your efforts, you can post that you revised/posted a different one, here and I'll check it out and re-score!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:53 am
Rydia says...

Okay I'm switching mine, old post below for anyone interested:

The Man who Assumed

There once was a man who assumed
the grass in his yard was vacuumed.
He felt quite the fool,
when he started the tool,
and all of his grass was consumed.

I might write a proper one later as I can hear my university lecturer grumbling about my incorrect syllable counts. But this was fun!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:40 pm
Lightsong says...

*flips table* I can't make any more limerick after the first one. D:

Not to mention I don't think I can win after reading all those submitted limericks. ;-;

Oh well! Hands held high!
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana