z

Young Writers Society

DT - Event 4: Sentimental Stories

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:00 am
Lavvie says...

Here you can discuss or ask your questions about Event 4: Sentimental Stories.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

524 Reviews

Reviews: 524
Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:39 am
felistia says...

Can we enter stories that we've already written?

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:43 am
Dracula says...

I just wrote a story and submitted it, but it's under 300. Is the 300-1500 just a guideline or does my story not count?
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:44 am
Lightsong says...

I can't check the link to short story. ;-;
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

522 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:20 am
Lavvie says...

@felistia - I'm going to say no, just to be fair and make sure that everyone has the same time limit.

@Dracula - if it is 10 words or less, I'll take it :)

@Lightsong - the link is working for me. Otherwise, here it is: The Canola Violence

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:56 pm
Lightsong says...

Ah, it works for me now. Interesting story you have there. ;)

And I finally submit mine when I thought the original one was trash. Now, hands held up.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:16 pm
TheGatherer says...

Hi! I know I'm a little too late, but I've got a question. First, let me talk about the sentiments list. There's some categories, and then some subcategories. I'll call the first "big words" and the second "small words".

The first thing I noticed was that there is no definition of which one (big or small words) may be considered feelings. I've noticed the example given goes along two small words but it seems the big words are the real feelings. To make things worse (or more interesting) the text is based on two, I repeat, two small words that are below different big words (or so it seems). So, my question goes to the unfairness of giving an example that couldn't be used how can we tell what feeling to use. For example, should I pick the word "DISCONNECTED" and use the words on the next spoiler to my advantage (i.e. by including them in my text? OR should I pick the word "alienated" and am extremely forbidden (to the point where I forgot what other feelings there are) to use any other word?

Words that remind me of being disconnected:
Spoiler! :
alienated
aloof
apathetic
bored
cold
detached
distant
distracted
indifferent
numb
removed
uninterested
withdrawn

Spoiler! :
Not to mention that the suggestion is rated "+18 for language". Why you showing it to all the cool kids?

And now, let's win this!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown

522 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:33 pm
Lavvie says...

@TheGatherer - The list is a guideline. Obviously, there are many other emotions. You can choose either the "big word" or the little ones underneath. I don't care, as long as it is an emotion you feel you can connect with :) The smaller ones are obviously more specific, so you could interpret that as either something to use to your advantage or disadvantage. As for the 18+ example, I didn't take that into account, so I apologize. There are only one to two instances of strong language which is why the short story is rated as such. If you would like a different example, let me know. Good luck with the event, if you intend to participate!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:02 pm
TheGatherer says...

@Lavvie Oh, I apologise for not reading the story. When you mentioned those feelings it immediately drove me away because of feelings I've been experiencing lately. I'd be eternally grateful to you if you could share a shorter/happier example. I'm actually quite nervous that I won't be able to write it... Thank you!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown

522 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:12 pm
Lavvie says...

@TheGatherer - If I can offer some advice, if you yourself are experiencing some strong emotions, I encourage you to use that as fodder for your entry as it will make it stronger and you are tapping into what you are currently and genuinely feeling. Check out this for more stories using emotive language.

"We're just all nosy little busybodies."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi