New username policy

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 pm
View Likes
niteowl says...

All,

As I was thinking about my review suggestions, I realize we need to think about making more creative, better usernames. Some ideas:

1) Remove all vowels from existing usernames and require vowel-free usernames in the future. ntwl has a nice ring to it, I believe. As this is a writing site, creativity should be encouraged, and using only consonants forces users to forge a creative identity.

2) Have at least one x in your username, like xXdarkxniteowlXx. This will allow YWS to stick to its historical roots by making usernames appear like the screen names of old.

3) Let users pick their own color. Obviously, official mod colors would be off-limits, but I get SO SICK of seeing all these blue names. I'm sure users would love this additional means of self-expression.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:24 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I'm not convinced by the vowels thing, I think we can just get around that by using l33tsp34k. Including numbers would be cool though. Like Tenyo442. That will solve the 'hey we're running out of available usernames' crisis.
We were born to be amazing.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:10 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

I like the idea of picking individual colours but would mods be able to as well? That might cause some mass confusion but it seems unfair to give the members more choice than ourselves.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:36 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hm...I didn't think about that, but you're right. Maybe moderators could pick their own colors, but add a giant banner signature saying "I IZ MODERATOR! OBEY ME, LOWLY YWSERS! OBEY!!!!!" to distinguish them from the ordinary members.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:41 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

I bet if we made username colors a paid option, we'd be seeing a lot more revenue...
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:43 pm
dragonfphoenix says...

Looks like I decided to retire just in time. o.O
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god -- the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!
— William Shakespeare