Young Writers Society

YWS Con 2016

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:07 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Alright all. We've had a few topics about this in the past, and now we got most of the funding, it's time to start getting serious and get some plans sorted.

Name

We never decided, and it descended into mayhem last time. I still like YWS Con for the simplicity, but I know that's not the popular opinion.

So let's think of a great name!

This was the most heated debate. New York City seems like a decent compromise, as it means most of the American members will be able to come, and European members can probably get decent flights if they book in advance.

The Australians and New Zealanders and others will probably be screwed, but we knew that anyway!

Let's make a decision. We need the city so we can start looking at appropriate hotels and buildings to host the convention. Please pick your preference from the shortlist below, which is based on suggestions from last time.

New York City
London
Los Angeles
Toronto
Chicago

Funding

Thanks to some anonymous donations, we've managed to secure the majority of the funding required. We still need about £5000 more (or roughly $7500) based on our estimates, and especially if we want to offer some free tickets to members!

So let's brainstorm some funding events! Post some ideas below.

Date

I still favour Summer 2016. It's the easiest time for people to take holidays, and there's no university/college/school.

I think we should aim for a long weekend - run the Convention from Friday to Sunday night. People can then always come for longer if they like (I'm sure they'll be a few parties on the nights before and after!).

Age Limit

It seems a shame to impose an age limit but it might be necessary or we may have a lot of legal obstacles and challenges to face. Nonetheless there are plenty of other communities that host conventions for all ages so it's possible.

I feel bad if we said 18+ only, and it would also mean that many members wouldn't be able to come. What do you think?

Secrecy

Remember, this is going to be one of the greatest announcements we'll ever be able to write on YWS, so KEEP IT A SECRET! If too many people find out it will ruin the excitement a little.

However, we do need to announce to YWS soon so everybody has a chance to save up money if they need to. Perhaps we should aim to secure the rest of our funding and start booking places by July? That gives us a year to sort out the details and a year for everyone to save up.

Events and Special Guests

I think we need to think BIG. Let's make a list of all the famous authors we would like to see (even if you think they'd never say yes in a million years) and then start with our favourites and work down. If we never try, we'll never find out! Who's to say we couldn't convince JK Rowling or Neil Gaiman to make an appearance?

In terms of events, I have no doubt all you smart creative people have some ideas up your sleeves. This can be done over the next year, but we should think of some really cool stuff for everyone to get involved in. Remember, this might be a once in a lifetime opportunity for members to meet!

WRITING THIS HAS MADE ME REALLY EXCITED!!!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:12 pm
Hannah says...

The Australians and New Zealanders and others will probably be screwed, but we knew that anyway!

I would be angry, but I'm also going to be back in America by that time, so absolutely Chicago! I mean, it's already got Printers Row, so we could probably time our Convention for the same time! That would mean hotels would be slightly more expensive, but maybe we could stake out a little piece of Harrison subway station and just have a giant slumber party?
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:29 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Chicago would be best for me. And @Hannah I'm really not sure the Harrison stop is the, erhm, cleanest place to have a slumber party. If everyone doesn't mind being a little cramped (and letting my three-legged cat bite them a little) we can all just crash at my studio apartment.

As far as special guests, I think we ought to consider who it is the youths really want to see these days. Is that John Green guy still popular?
Got YWS?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:35 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

Nah, let's have a slumber party at the Greyhound bus station in Chicago.

@Lauren2010 can vouch for me.

John Green is sooo 2013. My vote is for EL James because the kids only deserve to hear from the very best. I don't care what anyone says, Fifty Shades of Grey is a literary masterpiece.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:45 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Uh, San Francisco, losers. Alternate name: The Bek and Jack haven't been on the same continent since 2009 Con!

(Lauren, just bring your three legged cat no matter where we go, because I need to meet your cat, yes)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:51 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

I def agree with Mesh on San Francisco. Think of the sun, warmth and avocados!

How're we planning on accommodation? I'm sure we could airbnb it.

Also if @Sachiko makes it big this year, she should be the keynote.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:01 pm
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

hahahahahahahhahahahaHA

you think SF in summer is warm and sunny. Avocados, however, is a very valid point.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:42 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Um, I really don't think J. K. Rowling would be the best addition to the convention... didn't you see Lauren's topic about her? I think if we ask her, she'll try to poison Nate or something.

Totally agree on Sachiko as the keynote though!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:03 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I do think that since Sachiko recently sold her novel to publishers for a $50,000 dollar advance the least she could do is come speak for us.

I'll be a doctor by July 2016 I'll have the cash dollah rolling in. Why not Samoa?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:06 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

StellaThomas wrote:I'll be a doctor by July 2016

Ahahahahhahahah. Hahahahaha. Yeah. Good luck with that.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:46 pm
Elinor says...

StellaThomas wrote:I do think that since Sachiko recently sold her novel to publishers for a $50,000 dollar advance the least she could do is come speak for us.

I'll be a doctor by July 2016 I'll have the cash dollah rolling in. Why not Samoa?

Don't forget that I'll be an Oscar-winning filmmaker and if you're lucky, I'll make an appearance to have you all begging at my knees to adapt your pathetic novels.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:53 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I think we should take cues from our predecessors and add a ball pit. No larger than 8ft by 8ft (that's 2.4384 meters for you weird folks), but not too small. Must be able to fit at least three people in it at once. Preferably inflatable.

If that's not possible, we could always look around and try to find more guest speakers. Have one huge convention hall with three people talking at all times, that'll work, right? Do we have enough money for the equipment budget to have three mics at all times, or would they just have to yell?
stay off the faerie paths

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

Nothing ever works out for us. This is unacceptable. It should be here and you lot can all enjoy the thirty hour flight. Pffft.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:51 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

Def Chicago. We all know my convenience is the most important. (I think we should call it Fortis's Con. It just makes sense.)

I like Anci's ball pit idea. Why not expand that theme and cover the entire Convention hall's floor in ball pit balls?
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:00 am
PenguinAttack says...

This is an outrage. Australia is consistently in the top 3 cities on the YWS, we're well worth having a con here. I refuse to attend or even discuss the event if you won't take Australasia seriously.

You KNEW my feelings about this. I can't even.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

The sun can square up and fight me. Apollo is just another bi disaster, and I could take him.
— AlmostImmortal