z

Young Writers Society

YWS' Electric Bill Is Too High

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Nate says...

The electric bill for YWS this past winter is absurd. The northeast USA did go through one of the coldest winters in decades, but I'm looking at the heating bill, and I'm wondering just where it's all going.

Guys, we need to cut down on electricity. Crew leaders, please keep the thermostat at 68 F (20 C) in your individual sections (remember, YWS uses electric heat). Everyone, when you leave a forum, please turn off the lights behind you. When the Californians go to sleep, please double check all electronics (save the server) is turned off. The New Zealanders & Australians will turn everything back on as part of the morning crew duties.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:03 am
Demeter says...

That's not good. :/ I feel like I'm partly to blame for this because I've recently been really active but it's still so cold here... I mean, March 25th, and it's *snowing*?! It's been so lovely and sunny recently, I thought I could finally start unplugging my radiator every now and then, but looks like I can't... So I'll probably have to take some time off YWS, just until it gets warmer. D: I'm really sorry, I feel like I'm escaping my duties as GM.

Should we organise some kind of money collection to put towards the electric bill?
I feel really bad that Nate continues to pay for it on his own despite the ever-growing numbers on YWS. (*quietly tags people who may be up for contributions* @Rydia @Meshugenah @StellaThomas @Lauren2010 @PenguinAttack )
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 am
Snoink says...

You're complaining about the ELECTRIC BILL?! Really, stop being passive-aggressive, Nate. You're just bitter about the pipes bursting. The electric bill is nothing compared to the water bill.

It's not that we don't agree that this is important. But, you should at least be honest in what you're complaining about.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:53 pm
Rydia says...

I honestly don't think we need to have YWS running all the time and I've voiced this before and you still haven't listened to me. If we just shut the site down whenever activity is below 40%, we'll save such a lot of money and we'll be able to put it toward more important things like Bartemius plush toys for every staff member. Those are something we need.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:52 pm
Hannah says...

@Rydia, how could you be so exclusive?! Just because some of us are not awake when the bulk of YWS membership is means we shouldn't have access to YWS at all? Great, so then none of us will get the Bartemius plush toys either, because we can't do the things we need to like moderate and get kicked off the mod squad for life!?

You've ALREADY limited access to the secret chat room to the most active times, to make sure it's busy enough to YWS to cover the tracks, but now you're going to take just regular membership away from us as well? Might as well call it the Young AMERICAN PLUS RYDIA Writers Society!!!
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:32 pm
Meshugenah says...

Hey! I only shut the server off that one time!

And no one ever listens to me about putting in solar panels. *mutters*
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:48 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I'm not really sure about this whole thing. @Nate can we see a copy of the electric bill itself? I'm uncomfortable with such a discussion if I don't know exactly how "high" this supposed bill is.

Don't be a cheapskate, dude.
Got YWS?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm
birk says...

I'll agree with Lauren on this. I'd want to see this bill.

Second of all, if you've got a problem with the small amount of extra heat I've been leaving on in the Norwegian section of the site, then please, come to Norway! It's fricken cold, dude! I sincerely hope you weren't having this part of the site in mind when you wrote this post.

The demographic of Norwegian members on this site is already shockingly low! And you should be thankful the few of us are even here! We're Norwegian. We got them oil money. We don't need this.

Sigh, I'll try to keep the heat down. But we'd want to receive another batch of YWS blankets. That's the least you can do. Unless you're too cheap.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:38 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

I don't think that Australia, or any other typically warm location, should be footing the bill for these cold whingers. We're keeping it up with OUR limited solar panelling and I know that there was some communication between @Hannah and I about more hydropower. Why are you punishing us by limiting site access and asking for more money.

Yes, I'll shell out AGAIN if I must but really, I don't see why I should.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 am
Snoink says...

PenguinAttack wrote:I don't think that Australia, or any other typically warm location, should be footing the bill for these cold whingers. We're keeping it up with OUR limited solar panelling and I know that there was some communication between @Hannah and I about more hydropower. Why are you punishing us by limiting site access and asking for more money.

Yes, I'll shell out AGAIN if I must but really, I don't see why I should.

PFFT. Australia is just at fault, with that A/C bill...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 pm
Auxiira says...

I feel that I may have used more heating than usual, but guys, the south of France is surprisingly cold right now, and I'm staying up late studying! I could offer the use of the nuclear power plant I am less than 200km away from, but that goes against my ethic...

Could I suggest a mix of solar panels, geothermic energy, wind farms and water power on the outskirts of YWS?
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates