RFC Proposal #435: Change of name [comments]

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:31 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I think this pretty much says it all:
twilight.png

Although Twilight is nowhere near the popularity it enjoyed just a couple years ago, it still towers over Young Writers Society. This got me thinking: YWS could capitalize on the search interest for Twilight by renaming the site to 'Twilight Writers Society.'

Now, this would be strictly a cosmetic change involving just the name, the logo, and perhaps a shift from blue/black to pink/black as the main colors. I realize it could be controversial, but I believe strongly it would help YWS to establish itself as a dominant presence in the young adult writing space. A year or two from now, we could even change the name back.

Thoughts?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 am
StellaThomas says...

Absolutely. I've always been a huge fan of the Twilight series and I've been saying for years that it's the kind of writing that we should be asking our members to emulate. Imagine, one of them could potentially become the next Meyer!

I know this is going to meet with some disagreement. I know @Demeter doesn't like Twilight because Bella is brunette. To that I say, haters gonna hate. If they're not happy with the changes then I'm not happy with them being here. We don't need them.

Follow your heart, Nathaniel.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:12 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

I must say that I don't see in any way how this is a good idea. Sure, Twilight is exceedingly popular, even more so than Harry Potter, and sure, changing YWS's name would bring in a surge of new interest and talent, but seriously, Nate? Twilight Writers Society?

Here's two simple reasons why I disagree with that suggestion:

1) Statistics. For years on end, people have found YWS using the words "Young Writers Society", and if we change the name, we completely lose the statistical map of the people who know us by YWS, which, to my knowledge, is currently at about 80.27%. Imagine losing over 80% of YWS's memberbase. And to say that most members have bookmarked YWS or something so they don't have to google the three words anymore to access the site is complete nonsense, because I know for a fact that that 80% of members I mentioned continue to find the site by googling the name. And if we change the name, those people won't find the site anymore. I mean, sure, if you want to lose some of our most dedicated staff members, Nate, it's up to you, but I can safely say that I will boycott the site if this happens.

2) Image. If we change the name, it will look like all YWS (or TWS) members ever write is Twilight-related stuff, which isn't true at all. Changing the name would be hugely misleading.

And @StellaThomas - this has nothing to do with the fact that Bella is brunette. It's just like you to put such infantile opinions in my mouth that in reality have absolutely nothing to do with what I really think. You're just trying to make me look bad. And frankly, I'm tired of that.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:47 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Fifty Shades of Gray is more popular than Twilight. Why not that? :P

I say we go with more high quality literature. Hunger Games is clearly superior to Twilight.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:37 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

Twilight is so 2009. If we want to be with the times, it's obvious that we have to go with something a little more current. Or better than that, we get ahead of the times.

There's no other way about it, we have start predicting the next big thing, and capitalising on the number of searches it gets. By changing the site's name every couple of years, I feel like we could always be on trend. I imagine that freakforchrist is about due to make another prediction for the future. Why not make use of our mighty ruler's powers?
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:58 pm
Rydia says...

Mazerunner's more current? Or there's Game of Thrones which is crazy popular and much better writing in my opinion. Maybe we could use that in some way?

I'm also good with Twilight though. It's not really my style but I think it would grow on me and I'd happily do a Twilight style Storybook to build off the trending.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:54 pm
Hannah says...

Obviously the best solution would just be to program a link between YWS's title and the New York Time's Best Seller YA list! That will only take about an hour's work for you, right Nate?
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:19 pm
View Likes
birk says...

Neat idea, Hannah.

But to be honest, I'd go all out. Instead of linking us up between the Best Selling YA author list, I'd rather link us up to the 'Google Trends' list. Shed the connection to the writing part, and just get as many new hits as possible.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:18 pm
View Likes
Rook says...

I like the idea, but I agree that it's headed in the wrong direction. I think that another word would fit better. "Widdershins" gets more hits in actual books than "YWS" does (proof), so why not make YWS into WWS and we'll be the Widdershins Writing Society? I think it would be a much better direction, and ultimately, much more popular.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:25 pm
Kale says...

@Rydia

If you make that SB, I'll join!
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:19 am
Rydia says...

Twilight SB it is! I had this really cool idea for an official April one, but now I think this is better.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

If you can't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never find what you're looking for. Don't make things quick and easy to feel better short term. Make a change and then you'll feel better longer term.
— Frinderman