z

Young Writers Society

DT - Event 8: Fairy tale poetry

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:01 am
Clarity says...

Welcome to the Fairy tale poetry discussion thread!

You can discuss the event here and such. Feel free to just talk! If you have any questions, just ask!
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:22 am
View Likes
FatCowsSis says...

This sounds so fun!!!!
What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler! :
Ground Beef

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:31 am
View Likes
dragonfphoenix says...

This is not my entry, but in the spirit of the contest I thought it merited mentioning. Enjoy!
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:11 am
OliveDreams says...

So much fun!! :D
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:47 pm
WritingWolf says...

Can I ask you to define "Well known fairy tale" a little better? And just "fairy tale" by itself.
Mostly because I have seen My Neighbor Totoro classified as a more modern fairy tale. But it isn't one of your traditional fairy tales (like Cinderella, Rapunzel, The Princess and The Pea, and such). And I'm not really sure if it counts as "well known". I know that most of my friends have seen/heard of it. But I don't know about anyone past that. I know it's probably pretty popular in Japan because Studio Gibli is a pretty well known movie company and My Neighbor Totoro is one of their best films. But that's Japan.

Anyway, I feel very uncertain in what is allowed and what isn't. I mean does Disney's Brave count as a fairy tale?
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

95 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:03 pm
Clarity says...

If you wanted to do Brave, I'm willing to accept that. I like it's play on a warrior princess. Like if you based something on Tangled, that's a play on Rapunzel.

By well known, I mean something that I'll at least be able to find if I search it on Google. I'm not expecting to be able to recognise all fairy tales that people post.

If it falls under the category of "Fairy Tale" you can use it. You don't have to use the traditional ones. The whole point of this is to be creative and make it as original as you can!

I hope that helps you? :)

she/they

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 pm
WritingWolf says...

Okay, thanks. :) So I'm going to use My Neighbor Totoro, because even though it was originally a Japanese fairy tale (well, it's kinda pairtly fairy tale partially fantasy, it depends on how you define fairy tale, but I think that applies to most fairy tales) it does have an English version, and you can find stuff about it on the web. Actually, surprisingly enough, wikipedias page seems to be pretty accurate (from what I've read).
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

95 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:14 pm
Clarity says...

I'll get a head start and read up on that then! :)

she/they

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:29 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

And by "qdding up your own twist", do you mean like... Are we able to change the fairy tale(s ending, how it starts, even the overall world where it takes place but keep the story? It doesn't matter if we don't respect enterily how the story goes in the original fairy tale, does it?
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

95 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 pm
Clarity says...

You can change how it ends if you want, or how it starts, or where it takes place. As long as we can get an idea of what fairy tale it is, that's fine. For example, you could make Snow White some sort of assassin and she kills the seven dwarves instead of befriending them. The more original, the better!

she/they

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:11 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Because I have little time, I assume the little red hen counts. If not please PM me.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

92 Reviews

Reviews: 92
Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:52 pm
Wherethewindgoes says...

Quick question: How close do we have to keep to the "one stanza is one chapter" rule? Is it OK if some of the poem is introspection as opposed to clear events happening one after the other?
But if the silence takes you, then I hope it takes me too.

A review?

95 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:13 pm
Clarity says...

The one stanza equals one chapter rule was really just there to keep some order to the poem. It's okay to veer a little away from it.

she/they

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:53 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

This was awesome!
When are the results coming out?
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

95 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:05 pm
Clarity says...

I'm glad you liked it! And I'm hoping to get them up this evening. The latest they're up will be tomorrow evening. But, they should be up tonight! :)

she/they

you ever say spidgit finner unironically?
— FireEyes