z

Young Writers Society

Event 6: My Writer, the Character

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm
Elinor says...

For Christmas that year Mark and I take the train to New York City. It’s the first time I’ve traveled since I lost Alice, since I moved to Wisconsin. That was eight years ago, almost half my life I’ve been away from Los Angeles.

Not a day has gone by that I haven’t wondered how things might be different if Alice hadn’t have died. I’d still be in Los Angeles, certainly. But doing who knows what. I don’t think I ever would have met Mark, and I can’t imagine life without him. The farm life is certainly very different then the city life, and while I still miss Alice every day, I like it in Wisconsin. I always felt out of place in Los Angeles. The weather is colder, but it’s less busy. People are nicer. I like that.

And there’s Mark.

I always envied how in love Alice and Will were. It seemed impossible to me that I would ever find that kind of love, but I did. And here he is, taking trips with me to New York City.

We take our seats on the train and my mind begins to wander.

What if this is fate? What if someone meant for Alice to die so I could move to Wisconsin and be happy her with Mark?

It makes sense to me, in a way. The idea that our lives are decided for us, that there is someone who controls the path we go on in life and that we’re powerless to stop it. We’re a character in someone’s story, so to speak, and through our lives we add to the truth of human existence. They bring us good things and they bring us bad, and occasionally bad can lead to good.

I wonder about the person who would control my life. I see a girl, not much younger than myself. She hunches over her desk as she drinks a cup of coffee and nibbles on a chocolate chip cookie. She feels out of place in the world and knows her destiny is elsewhere. She takes me on this journey because she’s fascinated with the idea of finding her calling elsewhere. Telling my story, telling the stories of others. She brought me to Wisconsin because it’s familiar turf for her, and she can really tell my story and life here in enriching detail. She trudges through school, through her empty life, and gives me—in Mark—the happy ending she can only be uncertain about.

Oh, miss, whoever you are, where and whenever you are, I just hope that you’ll keep things the way they are, that Mark and I will be happy until the end of time. I have a good feeling, miss, I just wish I knew what you had in store for me.

“Hey,” Mark says to me. “You’re far away.”

“I’ve got a lot on my mind.”

He smiles and kisses me.

“We’ll be in New York soon.”

“I’m so excited,” I say.

“Me too.”

I’m tired, so I fall asleep on his shoulder.

Two days later. I’m standing with Mark on the top of the Empire State building. It’s a beautiful view, a perfect moment.

“Clara, I love you,” he says. There’s an edge of nervousness in his voice. Miss, what’s happening right now? Where is this going?

“Me too,” I say.

And he bends down on one knee and opens a jewelry box to reveal a ring.

“Clara Adams, will you marry me?”

I don’t have to think before I say yes.

Miss, thank you for this moment. Thank you. I know I’m going to be happy. Spending the rest of my life with Mark…well, that’s a fortune I never imagined would happened to me when I was still living in Los Angeles.

Thank you.

And I promise, you’ll find that thing that’s going to fill your empty void. But for now, I’m content for you to write my story.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:49 pm
Aquareed says...

From the perspective of Katie in Enchanted

She doesn't sleep well at all. She’s not an insomniac, there’s nothing wrong with her. She’s not lazy either – she makes herself dizzy running laps of the track, spikes biting into the springy surface, great cycling stride propelling her forwards until she is shimmering with sweat, and can breathe again. She spends her days cramming more and more into her head. It’s not so much a thirst for knowledge, as that she wants to be the best, the very best in her class, in her school. So she studies after school, sucking on the end of her chewed biro pens, and she studies in the morning, yawning, fresh from her shower over tables of Greek verbs. She’s not interested in anything she can’t win. She thrives on competition.
Maybe that’s why she can’t sleep. Without a goal to throttle her motors into life, she drifts uneasily into sleep, a wary swimmer pulled into a rip tide. When she dreams they are swimming with loaded symbols – exams forgotten until the last minute, races where her legs are stuck together, and her lips too, so she can’t scream for help. Then more ambiguous one – vivid colours like slashes of blood, babies with grins so large their very faces seem to peel away, sweat-soaked sheets. She doesn't care to analyse. She sleeps gingerly.
And where do I fit in? I'm everywhere and nowhere. I'm in those strange in-between times when her busy mind has nothing to occupy her. It’s me she thinks of in those long February walks to school, red-nosed, chapped lips. She dreams of me all through assembly and walks to first period like a sleepwalker. On those long, long Sunday runs when her well-trained body switches effortlessly onto autopilot, I inhabit those dark corners where her mind scuttles off too.
I've been with her for years now – she can never seem to exorcize me, bleed me out onto paper. She made me all those things she couldn't be – dark-skinned and exotic in a way her freckled sticky limbs never were, hopelessly evasive and mysterious in a way she could never be. She’s a coconut shell – and I say this with the greatest affection. I've lived in her mind for the longest time, I've learnt the curious rhythms and patterns of her thoughts and behaviours. She can only go so long feeling a certain emotion before it overflows and she blurts out everything. She has little control, no equilibrium. For all that she’s an endurance runner, she has little patience. Maybe that’s why she likes me so much – I am as steady as the pavement under my feet. I am a calm ocean, implacable. She, in her fleeting energy and passions is like a summer storm. Perhaps if I were the writer and she the character I could draw her out onto paper in a measured way, slowly like a splinter.
I am the thread holding the brightly coloured squares of her life together. Maybe one day she’ll sit herself down with a tall glass of coke and ice, and steel-clad determination to finish my story. Maybe she’ll write me an ending. I've seen the possibilities darting round her mind for years. She’s thinking about marrying me to Adam in the end. I'm not sure about this right now, but I know she’d give me time, let him win my trust back, repair our broken relationship. She knows I am like a frightened rabbit, she moves cautiously with her story developments, gives me time to accustom myself to the changes in my own back-story. Once she even considered killing me off! I was so betrayed. After so long with her, she still has all the control. She delineates my flaws in hard ink. She lets me make catastrophic mistakes so I can grow as a character, when she could just paint me a happy ending.
As of now I hope the day she finishes my story is far off. I've grown comfortably used to living in her skin. I'm not ready to be slipped between paper, flat and passionless. Not just yet.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:10 pm
View Likes
AfterTheStorm says...

To Breathe Again

A sappy little tale of love between author and character

Spoiler! :
Every time I check over this story, I continue to read it in a British accent. xD It sounds awesome. Hahaha

From the center of page 304, I hear the bedroom doors click open. Her bedroom doors, to be exact. I can’t quite see Her form from where I am paused inside the story, but I am certainly able to hear Her movements about the room as She shuffles a few papers and slams Her bags upon the desk. The sudden force rattles the page I’m positioned on, and it causes me to twitch a smile. My Creator has returned.

My world is silent. It has remained silent since the last time She completed a chapter, which was quite a while ago. It’s fairly boring to be paused in the exact place one was stuck in for the past week-and-a-half. Since Her last writing frenzy, I was in the midst of battle. In the middle of a war. A war, for the Nine Gods’ sakes! How can a mentally stable author bear pausing Her own novel while the world’s greatest battle rages on? Honestly.

Anyways, my papery heart flutters against my chest at the sound of Her sweet voice dancing around the bedroom. I have continuously remained alone in this lifetime She has constructed, but She will always be there for me to love. So for a brief moment I wonder if She has finally decided to return to this book with the notion of saving me from this boring state. She has to be my salvation.

I hear Her pull the desk chair back, rattle a few pens around, then start scribbling on a notepad. I wait for the comforting feel of Her pen swishing across my pages, completing my movements and the words from my mouth… but that familiar sensation never returns. Instead, I hear Her scrawling across a fresh sheet of a notebook, bringing other characters alive from another tale. I feel betrayed. It’s as if She has forgotten about me, about the hours She has thought about my future and my past, about the tears She has shed over my wrinkled pages, about the long nights we have held each other and given life to each other. I am dead now as long as Her slender hand guides the pen along that other storyline.

Has She truly forgotten those precious memories we have shared? That girl has given me everything from my gold eyes to my dark hair, from my pain and my triumph and my solitude, but I realize now that she can take that all away as well. For if she refuses to finish my thoughts, my feelings, my future, then I shall cease to exist. I will merely remain on page 304 until the end of time, never being able to resolve anything. My life can never truly find an end nor purpose because I will never be complete.

I glance to the characters surrounding me, each sharing a similar expression of hurt and betrayal. We will die like this until She decides it is time for our stories to breathe again.

And I am drifting.

Her pen suddenly stops scribbling that rubbish of another book, and I feel Her eyes upon mine. I have never seen Her eyes, but I sense they are beautiful. In my mind I smile broadly, imagining Her… Then abruptly, my body feels as if it is torn in two. Paper is shredded around me as She crumples the pages of my novel, ripping, destroying Her wonderful pen strokes that have created me and my surrounding world. I feel myself falling backwards through scenes of my life as She continues to tear this book.

Page 245 is torn at the seam and I am forced to forget war.

Page 192 is wadded into a ball and I am forced to forget pain.

Page 130 shreds down the middle and I am forced to forget tears.

Pages 107 down to 2 are ripped away, and I suddenly cannot remember family, companions, lies, truth, trust, hopes, dreams, death. But through it all, I recall Her; she, I can never forget.

Now I have returned to the beginning, to page one. My life has been erased.

And then I feel Her soft pen strokes rewriting me.

“Taggar glances up from hammering the blade at his forge, noticing the stare of a girl transfixed on his form…” my Creator begins to write. Her words transform into my reality. Sentences fly across the paper in ink, returning breath to my lungs. “‘What are you doing here?’ he drily inquires, placing his fresh sword aside to cool. The strange girl refuses to respond at first, seemingly unable to form the right words.

‘Well, I’m…’ she trails off and averts her eyes from the man’s golden stare.

Taggar presses on, slowly moving towards the girl in his forge. ‘Hm?’

She quickly returns to his gaze with a laugh bubbling from her lips. ‘I apologize for tearing up over half of your life, but you must understand that it had to be done. This book was in need of some major editing.’”

My eyes widen as I realize the girl in front of me is Her. She has written Herself into the book! I quickly step over to her while my heartbeat pounds in my ears, drumming an intoxicating beat against my mind. I examine her small form, memorizing each sweet feature of her face: blue eyes brimming with knowledge, gilt hair curling down to her shoulders, a blush spreading across her cheeks…

‘Stop staring at me like that!’ she snaps in an embarrassed tone. The girl folds her arms across her chest as if to emphasize her order.

A small smile tugs at the corner of Taggar’s mouth as he whispers, ‘It’s
you.’ He dares not to blink, or else the mirage standing defiantly before him might disappear. ‘Your eyes- they’re beautiful,’ he breathes out finally. ‘Just as I imagined them.’

‘It’s Beth Ann, you know.’

Taggar’s brow furrows. ‘What?’

‘My name. It’s Beth Ann.’

They look at one another for a moment, now no longer strangers.”

I do not know which one of us is controlling the story at this point, but I can hardly care.
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 pm
Ruby68 says...

Candace

I remember the day I was born. For so long I had been only a half-formed thought in the back of my creator's brain. Like an unborn baby waiting for the right time to come to life. Then, one day I felt a strange tugging. I tried to stay put but the feeling only got stronger. Suddenly I was falling into blackness. I heard loud rapid thumping noises. I flowed out of my creator's fingertips and into a bright white space.
"Candace," she typed and said the word out loud. The word that would come to be my name.
I peered out at her from the computer screen and saw her face for the first time. Ruby, my author. Her round brown eyes stared at me, a single name on a blank page. She sat for a while cursor blinking rhythmically, biting her bottom lip in concentration. Soon her fingers began to move, flying over the keys creating me, my friends, my world. I was no longer alone, the white space was filled with those I love.
At first I hid from her, afraid of what would happen if I came out. Slowly, though, I came to trust her. I revealed myself to her bit by bit.
Ruby loved me, that I could tell. I loved her too, sometimes, and sometimes I hated her. Sometimes, I hated her and loved her all at once. Like when she cried as she wrote my mother's death.
I still get angry at her from time to time, and I hide. This annoys her to no end. Sometimes she pulls me out anyway but I am stubborn.
On days when I'm feeling particularly cooperative I can sometimes lift of the page and come to life. Only for a few moments and she never seems to see me, but I think she knows I'm there.
At times, my world is so deliriously happy. At other times it's so unbearably awful that I want to break out of the computer screen that contains me and surge back up her fingertips. I want to control her, to rewrite my story.
Sometimes I want to do nothing to not be anything. I want to resist her. But I am afraid. I am afraid that if I don't help her she'll discard me and I will die.
I love her, in a way. Like family, I don't think I have a choice. I can only hope that she loves me too. That she loves me enough to bring me out of my pages and into the world.
To the moon and back.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 pm
ongoeslife says...

I tried. Really hard. I'm not certain I understood the prompt, but I tried. =D

Spoiler! :
Tess

Sarah is a very interesting creator to observe. She hates writing any first draft on the computer-- she says the ideas somehow stop flowing when she's in front of a screen. I think I like that about her; I mean, she created me with her own hand. I am written in her own handwriting. It's a personal touch; I feel more connected to her because of it.

She often sits on the floor, in a tree, or on the roof to write. And she almost always writes in pencil. She'll sit in her position, usually one that would be awkward for anyone else, with her pencil hovering over the page, her jaw set, and she'll hum slightly until she gets an idea. The she writes, and she seems to never have to think about it. It's as though I am perfect in her mind, and she dare not pause lest she lose the image.

It's nice to be thought of as perfect. I think she often writes her characters as she wished she was. Or maybe she'll form someone who has all of the traits she wished she didn't; it's like she tries to write her failures out of her. I wish, for her sake, that it would work.

Sometimes she writes poetry; I've never been included in a poem yet. I hope she will use me, but it's unlikely. She only seems to write about things in her poems, never people.

I wish I could create someone myself.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:59 pm
UshertheThird says...

The Knight's Quest

Spoiler! :
My name is Sir Halifax, and I am a knight. My home is in Redbarrow Fief, although I’m hardly ever at home. I spend my days riding throughout the kingdom, carrying out quests for the king. It is my duty to keep the land safe from its many threats, such as cruel people and fearsome beasts. In exchange for my service, I am given much wealth and honor.
It is a rewarding job, but sometimes I get tired of it. Sometimes I wish I could do something else for a change. But sadly, the choice isn’t mine. No man in the kingdom is allowed to choose his work, because such a decision belongs only to the master of fate—to the Writer. And our Writer is an unfeeling man, so I think I will be stuck as a knight for all my time.
Often, I feel like a marionette, bowing and dancing to the tune of the Writer’s every whim. I would like to pick the tune myself sometimes, because the Writer just doesn’t understand me. It’s a rather oppressed existence, not being able to choose your fate. It’s not that I resent the Writer for it—in fact, I appreciate him greatly, for he gave me life. It’s just that it’s a sad and confusing feeling to not be in control of my own actions.
And the life the Writer gave me just doesn’t seem enough. In my work, I often do good deeds—I save distressed damsels, and I rid the world of bad men. But it’s always the same thing over again, and everything I do feels rather unoriginal. I think I would be much better off doing something else. I’ve always wanted to be a street performer, or a zookeeper, or a quantum physicist. Anything but a knight.
Sometimes it gets so hard, being a knight. When it’s a hot day, and I’m wearing my armor, I feel like I’m burning up. My helmet is too tight, and when I wear it for too long, it gives me a headache. My horse is too slow; my travels take twice as long as they should. And my sword is so heavy—on days when I’m feeling down, it’s just too much to lift. I wish I could really do something for the world. I wish I could do something that I enjoy.
Luckily, I have found a way to escape from all the troubles of my life. I write stories. And when I do, it’s so freeing to live in a world of my own. It’s such a thrill to control the lives of my characters as my Writer controls me.
The trouble is, I don’t have much time to write. Whenever the Writer picks up his pen, I’m forced to put away mine. While he is writing me, I have no choice but to follow his every command.
The Writer is at his desk now, scratching violently on a sheet of paper. He has sent me to a wide open field; I am riding to the outskirts of the kingdom, where there is a criminal to catch. The grass in the field is short, and it’s an unhealthy yellow color—no, that’s odd, it just changed. It is a lively green color now, and it brushes against my knees.
The Writer stands up; he’s leaving now. I suppose he has more important things to do than narrate my existence. I suppose I’ll just stay here for a while and wait for him to come back. The Writer would be very displeased if I were to go somewhere without his knowing.
I work on my latest story, and when the Writer returns to his desk, I hide my papers hastily in my bag. I resume riding; after a few hours pass, I am at the top of a snowy mountain; a few more pass, and I am in the middle of a dark forest.
I have been wandering among the trees for a while now—I lost the trail a long way back. It’s quite hard to see, and strange noises keep coming from behind the trees. It’s a bit frightening, really. I’m actually becoming rather terrified. I wish I could find my way out of—what is that!?
A great beast has reared up before me—it’s an enormous bear-shaped thing, standing on its hind legs. I swipe at it with my sword, praying to the Writer to keep me safe. The Writer flicks his pen, and the beast tears his claws along my side. I am hurt; I am bleeding! With a flourish, the Writer sends my sword into the beast’s belly. The beast moans as it falls, and I ride quickly away.
To my surprise and relief, I escape the dark forest alive, and I find myself in civilized country. I’m glad to find myself well after such a close encounter, but it unsettles me. Being a knight is dangerous enough, but it’s much worse when your Writer has a thing for bloody violence and gory deaths. I fear one day he’ll sit down at his desk and decide to just do away with me.
I ride through the gates of a small village. I turn onto the main street and—wait. Something is happening. Something is very wrong.
The Writer stands up quickly from his desk. Someone has broken down his door and entered his office. A dark man stands above the Writer with a sword in his hands. The Writer grabs a pen from his desk and stabs wildly at the dark man. The dark man swings his sword. The Writer falls to his knees, his head on the ground beside him.
For a long time, I do not move. I cannot comprehend what I have seen. The Writer’s desk is empty. The Writer is dead. I have no Writer.
Slowly, reality thaws my frozen mind. I look around. I see the world, and the world is open. The world is free.
I slide down from my horse. My helmet and sword clatter loudly when I throw them to the ground. I pull off my armor, and I feel an afternoon breeze. I turn around and leave the village. I begin to run.
I am going home. I am not a knight anymore; a pen is in my hand.
I am my own Writer now.

Why is my dog your fig father????
— JazzElectrobass