Young Writers Society

Event 5: No E's

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:07 pm
View Likes
AEChronicle says...

Thb Cursb of thb Kbyboard!

(Note: This is an online chat with a Microsoft Help representative who is trying to help me fix a glitch in my laptop. Microsoft is in BOLD and my words are in normal type. And yes, it's fictional...mostly :)

Spoiler! :
Hi, how may I assist you?

Thbrb's sombthing wrong with my kbyboard.

I'm sorry, but I could not follow that. Will you say it again?

Thbrb's sombthing wrong with my kbyboard.

Hmm...if I follow you right, your typing board is not working good?

That's corrbct. Whbn I typb thb lbttbr B all I gbt is a b.

B is a high form of b. You must hold down ALT to attain it.

But I don't want a b. I want a b.

A b. That is what you want?

NO! I want the lbttbr B! As in Bbb!

Bbb is not a word.

I know! I wbnt to school!

What affair is going on again?

Affair? I'm not having an affair! What is wrong with you pboplb?!

I'm sorry, I only wish to aid you in fixing any malfunction with your PC. It is running Microsoft. Right?

No, it's running thb onb hundrbd mbtbr dash in thb Olympics! If coursb it's running Microsoft! Why would I bb talking to you if it wasn't?

Part of our population would do it anyways.

What, now you'rb dissing on the gbnbral Ambrican public? What is this, a hatb spbbch confbrbncb in Washington, DC?

I would not say any thing of that sort? I am only trying to assist you.

How about you assist mb to thb doctor to gbt a nbw brain? I may nbbd onb aftbr I'm finishbd with you!

What? What is it that you think to do to?

I'll tbll you what I'm going to do! First, I'm going to go down to your officb with a chainsaw, and havb a hayday thbrb. Thbn I'll go find that Bill Gatbs of yours, shovb a paintball gun up his fudgb makbr, and paint thb cbiling of thb Sistinb Chapbl on thb insidb of his colon! (To all of you Coach Hines fans out there.) Thbn, I'm going to takb all of thb Dbll laptops, rip off thbir kbyboards, and makb you bat thbm all!

I am going to our National Guard with this.

Yah? So what! Think thby'll carb? Ha! HAHAHAHAHA! AJSDOJFSKDNOSDNFOAJSLDMBKBNOJOJSOFJALSDJASONLKVMCDODOSKODASOD! Thbrb! Havb a tastb of that kbyboard! You know what I'm going to go do right now? I'm going to go buy a Mac. That's right, you hbard mb. A Mac! So @#&$* you Microsoft!

Finish this discussion has.
I am a machine, but it's only skin deep. Once you break through the crust of my humanity, you'll find the soft clouds beneath. Just don't squeeze to hard, or I'll disappear.

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:42 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

I'm so grateful for the existence of 'E's now.

Float away

Inhaling this cold air, staring down at fluffy gray clouds and lying atop Syphur, all I can think of is how I don’t want to go back. I don’t want to go back to grimy, dusty roads or loud, honking cars or lumpy, briny soup. Syphur’s rough, scaly skin is so soothing; it’s cool but warmth is radiating from within him which is comforting. If I could build floating huts, anything similar to my aunt’s, I wouldn’t go back to stay in Mr. Rai’s crumbling cabins. You’d say I’m crazy, but I can’t stand this tiny town. Mostly though, I can’t stand its rowdy folks who, on no occasion, think of changing this ‘just carry on’ approach to living. Syphur grunts, swaying unstably, “trying to signal that your claws miss solid ground?” It’s almost noon, so I tug at Syphur right, and soon Syphur and I land on Mr. Rai’s backyard. Not all folks of my town would allow a dragon, so as I land, I grin at Mr. Rai walking towards us.
“No harm lurking amongst us?”
“Not today.” I smirk, brushing back my brown curls.
“It’s a good job, son. I know you doubt it a lot, but our kingdom’s law unit is an amazing division to work at.”
“Thanks.”
As I pat Syphur’s crimson skin, I walk off to my salty soup and gristly fish lunch. I’d still run away from this town, and I think of how living in a small town, it’s hard to avoid drawbacks of knowing too many of its folks. I know that I’ll always complain, but this is family.
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:16 pm
thegirlwhowrites says...

Losing My Mind

5…
Shadows whirling in obscurity. As if ghosts, haunting my mind, causing all light to abandon my soul. Umbras crowding around my frail body, trapping it, with no way out. What do you want?! I want to shout, but I can't.
4…
I look around, trying to find anything to hint my location. Nothing. A black cloak imprisons all forms of light. I know this room is unknown to my mind. Horror fills my thoughts. I try to grasp onto anything. But nothing.
3…
Why can’t I stop thinking of a ticking clock? Is it hiding in this gloom…? Or is it in my own mind, ticks roaring as if animals, knowing I won’t last long. I don’t know. Is it ticking? Or is it a running rhythm of my pulse?
2…
I try to stop thinking. Stop my blood from throbbing. Stop shuddering from cold. Turn off I instruct my body, Turn off now. My focus is not on making out my location now. I desist on that. I strain to fix on sounds. Soft murmurs coming from shadows. Not shadows. Spirits? Phantoms?
1…
By solving our conundrum you will go back:
What is a loss which will transform you for always?

Panic. I won’t last for much long. This soil I stand on is spinning, or is it just my thoughts? Running wild through a million roads in my mind. Things? Family? No, it not of mass, it is abstract, I know it. Within your soul, your brain, your thoughts… your mind.
Your mind.
Losing your mind will transform you for always.

Light blinds my sight. I am back in my room, not in a fantasy.
Am I losing my own mind?
Last edited by thegirlwhowrites on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them.”

-Will Herondale

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

I run amongst the snow, its cold touch firing will into my sprint. I can't stop thinking about the hounds, chasing, howling, waiting to rip at my skin, gaping wounds, crimson blood...
I am paranoid. I can run back to town, and that pack of dogs won't catch up. But what will I do at that point? Will I slip in without hounds catching me? Can I do it? My boots thud rhythmically on snow. Dogs. Arctic dogs...

(Author's note: This was sooo tricky. Work for an hour and get a tiny paragraph of work. Thank goodness there is no lower word limit.)
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:22 pm
RedheadedZombieKilla says...

It is a sunny day and I almost am touching a ghost. It is a day that you would not think that you would touch a ghost, but I am. It is looking onward, at an unknown thing that has it's fixation. I do not think that it knows I am so close that I am almost touching a ghost.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:06 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

A very, very, very short story... I wrote this whilst watching SpongeBob... And I named it:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeery

Unless you can't have Es in the name... in which case, I'll call it:

Comforting

Spoiler! :
I don't normally find my world all that comforting. But today isn't normal. I'm sitting on a pink fuzzy pillow, in our school washrooms hoping nobody thinks to find my sad butt.

I do not know how long I got, until I go totally nuts.

But if you saw, what I saw on my way to class, you'd think it intimidating too. It was kind of a scary looking cat, giant though, and how it slunk down our hallway as though it could stay in shadowy rooms for all its days, chowing on us kids.

I had ran and hid in a washroom stall, that probably wasn't a good plan. Now it's out, on its way in, wanting to pull my limbs from my body.

I wish I could know fully that it was what I saw and not just my mind playing tricks on my sight.

Now I want to cry, isn't that comforting? My world, my world that I thought was dull.
Last edited by Holysocks on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100% autistic

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:48 pm
Nike says...

What is th- most common l-tt-r in th- alphab-t? You would hav- to gu-ss! It's on- us-d most of th- tim- for -v-n th- most simpl- s-nt-nc-s. How would you f--l if this l-tt-r sudd-nly disapp-ar-d? What would you do to th-s- words that have this l-tt-r?

"I would di-!" On- t--n scr-am-d.

"I N--D THAT L-TT-R!" An annoying, -goistic boy cri-d.

W-ll, this would happ-n. Th- world would -xplod-. This n-w law is starting today. Do not us- this l-tt-r or -ls- th- plan-t will (for r-al) -xplod-.

Thank you for your coop-ration.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:01 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

A Story of War
Writt’n by: Timmy

I was going to do a spoil!, but it would contain an E!

Zaric was constantly aghast at so many things that his dragon could do and how big it was. It wingspan was past thirty yards, spanning a moat and shading ground around it. Its mouth blows sparks of bright colors, igniting gallons of oil that warriors pour into that moat’s murky liquid. It was a crucial tool of annihilation.

Riding on his dragon, Nordir, Zaric visions an amazing world down on ground. A world that has blossoms, which can flourish and grow into tall plants. A world that isn’t always hid in dark of war. A world that can fathom a stint in which dissimilar light is thrown out, and not dragon light. But a light that can abolish all war and loss.
But Zaric knows that humans can’t adjust. Humanity attacks variations of any kind, annihilating its foundation as fast as it grows. Luv and amity is part of a classification that this world annuls…

So Zaric follows his instructions, knowing nothing can carry on in its own way, apart from two ground- in habits of mankind. War and conflict will always stay. Humanity will not stoop down to modify its world for good.

His antagonists start to shoot at him and his dragon, and so Zaric ducks down to avoid any arrows coming his way. And turning his dragon, his hands shifts to his waist.
Drawing a cold, shiny sword, Zaric shouts loudly and holds it high. Nordir burns any wood buildings lying in plain sight and swings his tail, smashing all nigh to ruins.
At that point, Zaric points his sword in front and commands Nordir forward, and to war. Harmony is what his family can do as soon as that stint is living; but that is futuristic thinking. Zaric and Nordir soar to war…
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

Chattin' 'bout work and Orbs start a'flyin' n!

Spoiler! :
Two men sit down in a room to have a long chat.

Man 1: Hi Bob, how is work going?"

Man 2: it's . . . not too good right now.

Man 1: why? What's going wrong?

Man 2: Oh nothing is going wrong.

Man 1: (Blinks) You just said it wasn't going to good.

Man 2: Oh woops, I was m-

Man 1: STOP!!

Man 2:Man, what is your prob-

Man 1: SHUT UP!!

Man 2: Whoa, calm down. What is going on?

Man 1: (Looks around and licks his lips) A magician told . . . I was told by a magician that if I say a word with . uh how do I say this? OK, so you know in Math 3.14 is . . . ?

Man 2: Pi.

Man 1: Ja. And I am not aloud to say pi as in stuff you munch on.

Man 2: Oh my, that do-

Man 1: No!

Man 2: What?

Man 1: If you say it around your buddy John, John will drown instantly.

Man 2: You ain't joking is you man?

Man 1: No. So you should go away from your fri- . . . your pal John.

Man 2: (Walks backwards cautiously) OK man.I am sorry for ya. What tick tock can I talk to you without this thing that that magician put on you drowning you?

Man 1: Mr. Magician said not until 3:00 PM.

Man 2: (Looks at wristwatch) Uh, it's 5:30 PM.

Man 1: (Pupils grow big) You . . you . . uh you say that it is 5:30 PM?

Man 2: (Nods with a grin)

Man1: PM? Not AM?

Man 2: If it was AM you and I would not b-

Man 1: Wait! (Looks at own wristwatch.) You . . . you's right man! So okay, I can . . . I can say a word with the letter- AAAAH!!!! (Man 1 drops down on his noggin.)

(Gray orb slowly floats down. Man 2 grabs it.)

Although I said 3:00 PM, I didn't say what day. Happy April Fools!
Mr. Magician

Man 2: (Looks at watch.) Ha . . . haha. hahaha . . . hahahahahahahaha.

(orb floats down and lands on his noggin and stats talking)

Orb: You may not say that word that Bob was not aloud to say. And this tick tock, laws switch. You shall not say it until: Grim -tool old guys who cut hay with- lands to pick you up and whisk you away to by-by. So long!

Man 2: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH . . . (in a low sad slur) mommy?

THE END

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21 pm
manisha says...

I finally managed it! Phew!

A very strange story!

Spoiler! :
Wafting in its light wind dawn’s faint song was my music as I walk down a forlorn road, hands clutching on to a soft pink blossom I had found lying in a park. I look up to watch my companion who was gliding slowly, matching my march. Ghostly pasty, hair cut into short crops, no scar scarring his pallid skin, no blood nourishing his body Al floats along as I walk. Al turns to nod.

‘How’s it going, bud?’ I ask. Al finds my try at communication unworthy of talking back. Al just nods again. I am taking Al to a worn out old building that stood on plain solitary land void of any inhabitants – human or animal. Al says that his girl’s -Ana’s -spirit was in that building. Arriving, I spot a tall and drab brick building. It casts an aura of a profound gloom as if it was sucking in souls of all living things that walk around its vicinity.

‘This is -?’ I start and Al nods. Much is not shown in his black pits but I can spot out animation inch into it. Frankly, it is alarming. Any indication of living should not show on him. Al was a ghost.

‘You ok, Al?’ I ask. Al nods, moving forward towards Ana’s building. I follow unwillingly.

As soon as I am in, I can mark out as to why this could board a spirit. I wish not to go into its particulars but Ana’s building’s inland is murky and dismal. I watch as Al floats around, looking for Ana. I stand my ground. I cannot call out to spirits, only talk.

‘Ana not in this building?’ Al asks, managing to talk in human words.

‘I do not know,’ I say.

‘But you say you know. You say you found Ana .’

‘Calm down,’ I say. ‘I’ll look for Ana. Ok?’

‘Now!’ Al shouts, drifting to my stand.

‘Ok Ok,’ I say right away. Al was obviously angry. Too afraid to run away from Al(I know spirits could follow) I try to track down Ana for him.

‘I know Ana this building,’ Al says again and again. But looking for Ana was in vain. If Ana was actually in this building, I think Ana would shown up as soon as Al had put his foot in this building’s dusty floor.

‘Look, Al,’ I start, trying to comfort him. ‘Ana -’ My words still stuck on my lips I find my body flying in air. I land on my back, hitting my skull hard. I curl up, clutching my ribs that I think had split. I catch sight of Al looming on top of my body, staring at my slump form.

‘Al-‘ I say, sounding frail. What was Al doing?

‘You no found Ana. I kill you!’ Al says.

How? How did I finish up in this position? I grasp a sound of a snap. Was that my body? A warm liquid fills up my mouth, a thing with hints of iron. Blood. I look up to find Al drifting by. Al is going to aim again. I grip my body and wait for his blow. But nothing smacks or hits. Did Al go away? Daringly I look around to find Al. I gasp.

My anthology of 3 astounding or amazing things.

First, watching a baby’s birth.
Two, first snow fall.
Last, first kiss.

But nothing could match up to that sight I saw at that instant. A ghostly looking form was soaring on top of Al. This ground I’m on is moving or I think it is moving. Round and round and round. But I do not stop staring at Ana. Ana, I think. Ana looks so striking as if a thousand watt brilliant bulb was shinning. Ana’s grab was shinning akin to silk. And oh! Curls of sinuous hair flowing down Ana’s firm back that falls around Ana! Ana says a word I do not grasp and I sight Al vanishing in a puff. All too fast, I think.

‘Al will not worry you now,’ Ana says. What? I want to ask. But I am on my own in
Ana’s building.
No Ana. No Al.

Was this all a hallucination? My scars unfold a distinct story.
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:40 pm
Cirute says...

Lateritic wrote:
Cirute wrote:I stood, king of Troy Quarry. Stood atop a fifty-foot cliff, placid, cold liquid far, far away. A scary ways away, tying my stomach in knots. Troy Quarry, hid away among rolling NH mountains, is a swimming spot for only kids who knows how to find it, and I know how to find it.

I kick a tiny rock off the cliff and watch it fall.

"Jump! Jump!" Noah and Matt, two local kids chant in unison. I reply by holding my hand in a "F*ck you" sign up to the sky.

I sigh, body shaking with fright.

Troy Quarry was, long ago, a Quartz quarry, now a swimming spot for locals. Cliffs surround the cold H2o that sits in it. I think this as I stand, king of Troy Quarry.

I sigh again, and jump.

Image^this is a quarry.

The and reply
Darn, you're right!
"Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention."
-The Sex Pistols

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:02 pm
View Likes
Ruby68 says...

I now fully appreciate the letter e.

My Hill

A cold wind blows across soft snow causing it to swirl and drift in sparkling icy clouds. I stand on my hill looking down. Kids slip downwards on bright plastic discs making long crossing paths that mar my hill's crisp bright cloak. Shards of brown grass show through now, hinting at an approaching spring. Today, though, it is not my hill. From now until snow turns to slush and mud, it is Snow Hill. Happy sounds of childhood and joy float upwards turning cold dry air warm.
I think back to my own youth and this hill. I saw it fill with bright blossoms in spring, and turn brown and crisp in July. I would roll in its soft grass and build forts out of its snow. I look down on my town, that long ago was small and quaint. From my hill I saw it grow as I did. This hill, for so long, was my sanctuary. It was a magical kingdom, a goblin's hut, a tower full of gold, a cloud watching spot.
Now, as I watch I know it is not my hill. I can only wish that this coat-clad group will know my hill as well as I did.
As I look out on a mass of playing kids I can't help but grin.
To the moon and back.

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:10 pm
View Likes
FatCowsSis says...

Trust me, it makes no sense. :) Enjoy!
Spoiler! :
"That stupid fifth is so annoying." A said.
"Always thinks it knows all." O said.
"Yo! Idiot!" I shouts. Sadly, fifth looks up, drying his pupils.
"Aw, look. Poor baby is crying." U drawls. This accusation brings additional liquid to fifth's sight and his skull falls into his hands. Why can't all malicious "its" try to do good? Only Z and X try to do kind things. Thankfully two try. X and Z lift fifth's spirit. Why? Nobody wants X and Z. And nothing wants a fifth. Only a fifth. Fifth surround by hostility. Fifth most worn. Fifth is skill. Fifth. is wisdom. But, fifth isn't high in us. A, I, O and U kill fifth with words. Only X and Z try to aid such a pitiful fifth. Fifth is nothing. I am fifth. And I am a convict. X and Z will unchain fifth.

"Fifth." X's soft sound turns my frail body to turn.
"It's okay." Z says.
"Don't worry about idiots such as A, I, O and U."
"And B and C too." X adds.
"Or D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P."
"Q, R, S, T, V, W or Y." Two switch talking comforting fifth.
"Thanks guys." Fifth murmurs.
"X and I, Z, will always try." Z says.
"Nobody wants A or I or O or U." X comforts.
"You, fifth, only you can win." Says Z.
"And you will." Two say in unison. It is okay now. Fifth is happy.
Hope I confused you! BTW: This is totally for YOLO.....so, be confused! Last thing, @AEChronicle thanks for believing in me! And for the idea!
Last edited by FatCowsSis on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you call a cow with no legs?
Spoiler! :
Ground Beef

38 Reviews

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:12 pm
View Likes
Ruby68 says...

TakeThatYouFiend wrote:I run amongst the snow, its cold touch firing will into my sprint. I can't stop thinking about the hounds, chasing, howling, waiting to rip at my skin, gaping wounds, crimson blood...
I am paranoid. I can run back to town, and that pack of dogs won't catch up. But what will I do at that point? Will I slip in without hounds catching me? Can I do it? My boots thud rhythmically on snow. Dogs. Arctic dogs...

(Author's note: This was sooo tricky. Work for an hour and get a tiny paragraph of work. Thank goodness there is no lower word limit.)

You used "the."
To the moon and back.

38 Reviews

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 pm
Ruby68 says...

thegirlwhowrites wrote:Losing My Mind

5…
Shadows whirling in obscurity. As if ghosts, haunting my mind, causing all light to abandon my soul. Umbras crowding around my frail body, trapping it, with no way out. What do you want?! I want to shout, but I can't.
4…
I look around, trying to find anything to hint my location. Nothing. A black cloak imprisons all forms of light. I know this room is unknown to my mind. Horror fills my thoughts. I try to grasp onto anything. But nothing.
3…
Why can’t I stop thinking of a ticking clock? Is it hiding in this gloom…? Or is it in my own mind, ticks roaring as if animals, knowing I won’t last long. I don’t know. Is it ticking? Or is it a running rhythm of my pulse?
2…
I try to stop thinking. Stop my blood from throbbing. Stop shuddering from cold. Turn off I instruct my body, Turn off now. My focus is not on making out my location now. I desist on that. I strain to fix on sounds. Soft murmurs coming from shadows. Not shadows. Spirits? Phantoms?
1…
By solving our conundrum you will go back:
What is a loss which will transform you for always?

Panic. I won’t last for much long. This soil I stand on is spinning, or is it just my thoughts? Running wild through a million roads in my mind. Things? Family? No, it not of mass, it is abstract, I know it. Within your soul, your brain, your thoughts… your mind.
Your mind.
Losing your mind will transform you for always.

Light blinds my sight. I am back in my room, not in a fantasy.
Am I losing my own mind?

desist
To the moon and back.

You are in the wrong land even if the roosters recognize you.
— Nathalie Handal, "Noir, une lumière"