z

Young Writers Society

Event 4: The Library of Imaginary Things

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 pm
WritingWolf says...

This piece of writing was created partially just as something for this contest, but also partially as a way of experiment with ways of telling my readers about a fantasy world from the viewpoint of someone who grew up there.
This is placed in the same world as my entry for Event 3. The two do not effect each other in anyway, I just thought you might find it interest to know that they are in the same world.

History of Official Notices from the Office of The Teaching and Learning of Magic

Spoiler! :
02/11/83

The rules regarding the physical fitness requirements for entering into an academy of magic have been altered.
Paragraph three of chapter sixteen of the Rules and Requirements of Magic formerly read as follows.

"For the physical fitness requirement the participant must a pass a test administered by their respective district."

It has now been altered to a standardized method of testing. It now reads as follows.

"For the physical fitness requirement the participant must swim in the river Pyril, starting at Endmile Valley. All participants who do not manage to pull themself out of the Pyril before The Drop will be received by a trainer at the next level and given further training. Once their trainers think they are ready they will be taken to the Endmile Valley of their current level, and attempt the swim again. If they fail again then they will be received by another trainer on the next lever. Once a participant reaches the bottom level (level ten) they will be deemed unsuited for magic, and returned home. All participants will start on the level of their birthplace."

Because of these alterations the official age range for testing has changed to fourteen through sixteen.

~ Honorinus Hartwell
Administrator of The Teaching and Learning of Magic

01/28/83

A new law concerning the number of magical schools and academies has now been implemented. From here on out there can be no more than three schools of magic on one inhabitable planet.
For the duration of this change we will be keeping the more successful schools, all students in schools that are being closed shall be transferred to another school.
Here is a list of the schools being closed, and the ones remaining, ordered by pocket and planet...

Pocket 1:
Alster:
Schools Remaining, Ardol's School of Alchimy, Dogsworth's Academy of Sorcery, and Zerum's University of Magic.
Schools Closing, Benan's School of Witchcraft, Elritch's School of Sorcery, Firay's Academy of Sorcery, Marimann's Academy of Divinity, and Yerialm's Univeristy of Sorcery.

Vermold:
Schools Remaining: The Rushing School of Alchemy, Warlock School, and Marvilous Magic - A University for the Gifted.
Schools Closing, The Inhuman Ability, Sorcery 101, and The Magic School.

Pocket 27:
Earth:
Schools Remaining, Artemis, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Professor Xavier's School for Mutants.
Schools Closing, Nanny Mcphee's House, The Extraordinary Place... ....You, Yourself, and I, and Zoom's Academy.

This will be effective as of 02/01/83.

~ Honorinus Hartwell
Administrator of The Teaching and Learning of Magic

14/26/82
We have recently received several complaints about the frequency of Magicians of all sorts transporting between pockets.
The Office of The Use of Magic has now banned traveling between pockets with magic, without a permit. Barnibus Verity, Administrator of The Use of Magic released an article about this change on 14/14/82. The article reads as follows.

"...All Magicians - of any sort - found magically transporting between pockets without a permit will be charged with Misuse of Magic, punishable by five years of imprisonment.
All Magicians traveling from one pocket to another will now need to use the public transportation provided to regular citizens of The Center. Magicians will now need to be cleared before entering Special Requirement Pockets..."

Due to this change our schools will no longer be teaching the art of transporting between pockets. All students must learn this from a private teacher with a permit to travel between pockets in such a manner. The student is required to have a learners permit for the duration of the training. All teachers caught without the proper permit will be charged with The Teaching of the Misuse of Magic.

~ Honorinus Hartwell
Administrator of The Teaching and Learning of Magic.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:09 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

A Pamphlet on the Advanced Rules of Play for the Glass Bead Game.
(Author's note: This work could have fit into fan-fiction as well, as it is based on another book about the fictional glass bead game. This book (sadly I can remember neither the title nor the author) is set in the far flung future, which is apparently dedicated to music and this game, and wonderfully both are perceived as working together in some way. Nowhere in this book are the rules for the game revealed )

Please note this manuscript is for use with right beads. Due to the different order of play for left beads, many of the principles are unrepresentable in reverse.
Starting Play.
It is well known that it is highly advantageous to start play in major, in order to build up a standard rhythm. However, as you know, the red will prevent you from doing this, unless you reserve, which would be suicidal at this stage in the game. Rather it is common practice that, according to the Woodhouse style of play, (founded by Lord Oakhouse), one would start play in minor, but attempt to bluff a major, so that, when you do swich to major, it is unnoticed by neither you opponents or the beads. This will stop the opponent on showing, and risking triangulation, as after red he will not realize if you have switched or not.
Strategy of Play.
It is important to remember all forms of attack to be sure of not wasting opportunity, or worse, breaking formation and allowing discord. Although triangulation is the standard, and rightly so, due to its diagonal structural advantage, quadruplatuion and the lesser known quintilation are both useful in times of equal great strength using a surprise attack. However it is strongly recommended that no-one attempts anything higher than quintilation, as this may lead to burns and severe injury in untrained hands. Reverse triangulation is also not recommended unless you are left handed.
Chords
The chords may seem unimportant where tactics are concerned, but chords pplay a very important part in the structure of the game. They can be used, when you are at blue, for building tension for an attack without variation on the theme, and they can be extremely dangerous if forgotten when turning the board, playing from your hand or performing a key change. Also chords are far less noticeable than other forms, and often have been used to win great games, like in the Burlingham International Convention. Never forget chords, as they are undoubtedly your second most powerful set.
Flipping
It is well known that flipping is one of the most important forms of emergency play known, and due to its nature in gameplay, it has been given this fourth and final section. The most conventional method of initiating a flip is through a diagonal move underneath, normally caused by a discord. Then one opens a channel for one's pieces, and reverses through a standard rotation/elimination duel move. There are other methods, but these should not be tampered with until the composer is more versed in atomic structure and nucleic physics. Don't forget however this is reversible, so it is advised to change colour or to have previously played them out of eliminations, although the latter will be more costly.
Summary
These four elements are but a drop in the ocean that is the tactics of the glass bead game. These attempt mearly to serve as a guide to those newly acquainted with the glass bead game, for instance school pupils from the ages of five to six would be appropriate. Keep on composing the Glass Bead Game!
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:18 pm
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

A Guide to Making A Seriously Powerful Voodoo Doll

(Too dark? Not ready for this fancy magic that’s on another level? Please revert to the previous article; A Guide To Making A Bog Standard Voodoo Doll for Losers. Pg. 8)

What You Will Need To Forage:

* 1 full moon
* 1 Barbie doll, circa. 1992 (note: Sindy will NOT suffice)
* 1 large non-stick cauldron
* 1 empty flour sack
* A handful of straw/hay
* 1lb (453g) of black cat fat
* 1 eye of newt (note: Essential for every witchy potion)
* 500ml of raven’s blood (note: make sure you know the difference between a raven, blackbird and crow)
* A lock of hair from the person you are voodoo-ing (note: must be from the head)
* 1 reel of thread in the colour of your choice
* 6 extra large pins with blood-red heads
* 2 small, black buttons
* 1 ritual hymn
* 1 fire extinguisher (note: Essential for every witchy potion)

Method:

First, you must look outside your window and check that it is, indeed, a full moon.
(note: If you have your dates mixed up, please turn to Pg. 17: Spells to Fill Your Time.)

Remove any flammable garments and heat up water in your large non-stick cauldron over a hearty fire. (note: Keep extinguisher nearby)

Thirdly, you need to lay out your Barbie doll, circa. 1992, on top of your empty flour sack. This will provide an accurate template of the human form.

Draw around your barbie doll, circa. 1992, twice on your empty flour sack and then proceed to cut out your outlines.

Take your thread (colour of your choice) and sew up your two outlines together, leaving an opening down one side of your doll.
(note: If you have finished this instruction without reading the second part of it, proceed back to the top. No, you don’t need to look out of your window again.)

Stuff your doll jam-packed with straw/hay and sew the opening up.

Add the black buttons for eyes (note: it would look super weird without them)

Your Voodoo doll should now start to resemble a gingerbread man and your large non-stick cauldron should now be bubbling along nicely.

Add the 1lb (453g) of black cat fat, 1 eye of newt, 500ml of raven’s blood and finishing with the hair of the person you are voodoo-ing.
(note: Do NOT accidently lose some of your own hair over the cauldron. Things will get tricky.)

Drop that voodoo doll right in the mixture! (note: A fully submerged doll proves to be the most effective in pain and torture. If this doll is for an older sibling, only a quick dip and swim is recommended!)

Hang your voodoo doll to dry whilst singing a ritual hymn (note: See Pg. 46: Lyrics)

Once you are happy with your Seriously Powerful Voodoo Doll, use your evil blood-red pins to cause mischief and mayhem! (note: Take care of own fingers)

Get rid of all evidence. Including the barbie doll, circa 1992.
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:28 pm
View Likes
Aadygirl says...

The Walt Chronicle - Your Daily Disney Drama

Prince Alladin's Lamp Stolen - Genie reported missing
Baghdad: Earlier this evening, Prince Alladin reported a theft in the Baghdad Palace, however, the only missing valuable seems to be the Magic Lamp. According to officers, there is little evidence, and clearly, the investigation would be a long process. One of the officers, Muhammad Ali, says that it seems like an average case, however, the burglar seems to be quite experienced. All further progress shall be informed of.

Meeko was my best friend: Pocahontas
Pocanhontas' pet raccoon was found murdered on Wednesday. "We shall be conducting a funeral for Meeko this weekend. However, it shall be a private affair,"said a teary-eyed Pocahontas. The murderer will not be arrested for animal abuse, as Pocahontas claims Meeko to be as human as any of us. Nevertheless, he will be booked for a case under Section 35, for murder and evil.

Happy Birthday Dory!
Dory, your regular neighbourhood short-term memory royal blue tang fish, turns 20! We managed to get a few words out of her, "Wait what? It's my birthday? Oh. Yay!" The fish, who's working on her next movie, Finding Dory, says that wisdom comes with age, but your memory doesn't really help. She plans to hold a big b'day bash for all public, that is, if you can make preparations for breathing equipment. Everyone will be there, from Marlin to Dumbo(who happens to be a wonderful swimmer) and even Sebastian, the crab! Ariel, the performer of the night, wasn't available for comment. But if you can't make it, don't forget to catch all the fun when Finding Dory releases in 2015! Just keep swimming folks!

This week's box office:

ImageSaving Mr. Banks ( 5 stars)- CineMary Poppins: 9:00 a.m, 12:05 p.m. ; The Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Theatre: 10:20 p.m., midnight ; Rainbow Movies: 2:10 p.m.,6:45 a.m., 12:00 noon.

ImageFrozen (4 and a half stars) -
The Snow Show: 3:30 p.m., 1:05 a.m. ; CinemAnna: 5:55 p.m., 2:25 p.m., 10:55 p.m.

The Walt Chronicle wishes you a happy Tuesday! Don't forget to check on all your Daily Disney Drama tomorrow!
"Two Sides of a Twin - A Detective Ivy Case"(novel) coming to YWS this October(hopefully)!

Stay tuned to the Aadygirl channel for more updates!

See ya later alligators! And Happy 2014 by the way. :)

-Aadygirl :)

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 pm
View Likes
AfterTheStorm says...

Dûlgider ter Skryygӯl!

A Young Skergerrian Female’s “Lost Skryygӯl” Flyer Posted in Uriokn Square

In the Native Räsprek Language of the Skergerrians:
Spoiler! :

Lrok Skryygӯl!

Rekklii: frektle Urrun-des!

Lrokyysa trakkeda-pe f dun kryyk Ashat-de f Klorr! Frere kred dre kyyl-te f sun aor ka dun. Preartrekl f tru dun sorka kryyk nasa, yyk suriakredia-fe der e fhuun dun-ke! Dûlgider mer Skryygӯl aor mys!

Mer Skryygӯl e trepfrkyy de skul trakkfun, dun su Freefrk terryyked-tra ii Skergerria, guun-tu? Aqil-ke, f Skryy e prerrydrgu aor ka (zakky-a-ll nun fun derrekky grerift yy).

Preartrekl ff a shlyytih kkuz: Lruu, frektle da Uriokn Sekop Di.

Dûlgider mr ghu-ste mer Skryygӯl!

Gyii froyhl di yys:

Translated to the most recent Common Tongue update [Updated circa 109 k.yy.]:

Spoiler! :

Lost Skryygӯl!

Reward: Four thousand Urrun credit charges!

I’ve lost my new pet somewhere near the Rivers of Klorr! If you see him, grab him quickly so he won’t scorch you with his newly-grown heat talons. Please contact me immediately if my pet is seen, and I cross my three hearts and promise on my scales that I won’t lose him again! Help my baby Skryygӯl find his way home!

My Skryygӯl is a mixture of black and red, but not just red and not just black. It’s black like the Fifth Star of Ryyuke and red like the bloody flag of Skergerria, got it? Also, the Skryy hatchling is pretty fast and mischievous so I hope you can run fast if you see him. (He probably won’t bite you if you catch up to him, though. Probably.)

Please contact me by: Lruu, at the 500th compartment of Uriokn Sector D.

Help me find my Skryygӯl!

I drew him here:

A friendly reminder from the Galactic Republic of Dreerk: if you still have yet to practice and memorize those new letters issued to the Common Tongue last Y-tse-week, then head over to the Language Headquarters on Dr’’oht’s Moon to pick up a copy of the restructured alphabet! Thanks, civilians, and kreftuun-de trefg sun prearkkyyliz!
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm
ExOmelas says...

Turntour Inn Review Submittal

Tell us your thoughts. Press play to begin recording...

Where do I begin? The people, I'll start with the people. I was promised a wealth of different individuals walking the streets of Turntour and my, oh, my, I was satisfied. I met one fairly old looking man trudging about the streets in search of a woman named Celia. I then met the woman named Celia looking for a man named Sam so I pointed her in his direction. The contrast in them could not have been more stark. One was a grumpy old man, the other a pleasant, mild-mannered woman … although I guess her age was rather dubious.
Anyhow, of course I was in town for the Vurakan Championships, which far exceeded their promised excitement. I think that Nanya girl was going to beat Allan Talagoe by a mile until those damn Mexterians! I was swept up into the search for the girl and I must say, it was one of the most thrilling events of my life. The moment I heard she was found I wept with joy and gratitude. I hope Karl Trawpf rots in jail! … Once they find him.
After the night's events, a few friends and I returned to the restaurant at the Inn. The service was a little slow but the tables were all packed. A couple of them were talking about the Mexterian ideals. Of course, it isn't fair that we don't live past thirty on Elsion and rumours have been whizzing around for years about lands where people live into their nineties. Pah! Nonsense. Right now, my husband is badgering me as I write this about how we could investigate. Apparently, someone has technology that could allow us access to these places.
Honestly, James, I don't know why you believe this nonsense.
It's not nonsense, Clara. Fred heard it from Dominic, who got it from Gordon Small's daughter Phoebe.
Nonsense! Ow, you want a pillow fight? Really, now? I'm a little busy. Anyway, where was I?
You were kissing the butt of some hotel manager you're never going to meet.
It's nice to be nice.
I know. Love you.
Love you too. Now, I loved the room. The beds were so comfy and – what the hell is that?!
I don't know. I'll go have a look outside.
Well, I um, liked that we all got complimentary kettles … Oh my God, James! What happened to your eye.
Hold on. I have to find a way to keep this door shut. Karl freaking Trawpf's out there!
The Mexterian leader?
No, the Vurakan Umpire. Yes, the Mexterian leader! He punched me as soon as I stepped out the door. I have to hold it closed somehow – oh!
Is a chest of drawers really necessary?
This is a guy who kidnapped the reigning Vurakan Champion last night.
Okay, yeah. Maybe we should use the wardrobe as well.
On it … So do you um, want to keep going with your review?
Sure. The landscape the Inn was situated in was excellent. My husband and I spent many hours before the Championships began just rambling among the hills outside the city, away from the congestion of the – uh oh. Do you need a hand?
Nope, I got this. Oof! No, okay, can you help me?
Of course. What do you need?
Just lean here beside me. I don't think anyone's trying to get in but there are a lot of people fighting out there and I don't want to get involved.
Makes sense. Actually your eye's getting darker by the minute. Wait, I think the fighting has stopped.
Yeah, you're right. I'll have a look. Hold on. Hand me that lamp, please?
Here you go. Ready?
Yep. Deep breath, James, here we go.
What do you see?
They're gone. Wait nope, oh no. Trawpf's back.
Here.
What's that?
My shoelace.
Ah, I see. Okay, I'll stay inside until the last second. Five, four, three, two, one.
[SMASH]
What was that?
I got the back of his head with the lamp. Now, if I can just get the lace around his wrists. Can you give me a hand?
Yep.
Just hold his hands together while I tie them?
Sure.
There we go.
Now what?
I dunno.
Leave him to me.
Who're you?
Turntour Police Force. I've been looking for him since last night. He escaped jail around three am.
Well, um, here you go, I guess.
Yeah, thanks. Hey, Eric! We got him!
Ah-hah! There he is. Great work, Steven.
Not me.
Then … who?
This guy.
And Clara, too. The shoelace was her idea.
Oh, yeah, of course. And we should probably get some real handcuffs on him. Might not want to mention this. Technically you're guilty of assault …?
James.
Right, James. Maybe you and … Clara should go back inside now.
Definitely. Come on, James.
Right behind you. I've got the door.
Right, okay what just happened?
We just caught the leader of an extremist group that wants to experiment on children to find the source of our short lives?
Oh, that's right. Maybe I should delete the tape and start again.
Good idea.
Uh-oh.
What?
It says it's sending in three, two, one.

Review accepted.

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:11 pm
View Likes
crescent says...

Vampire Repellent

Ingredients: Garlic Cloves, Holy Water, Fairy Enchantments, Witch Hexes, Suspicious Substances, Finely Ground Wood

Tired of being swindled by pale-faced men with unnaturally good looks, eyes that sparkle too brightly, and a nasty habit of biting? Your troubles are over, vampire repellent is here. Vampire Repellent keeps vampires 5 feet away from the area of application. Made with a blend of holy water, garlic, enchanted substances, and LoveBites’ secret ingredients, it’s guaranteed to keep your neck puncture free! Unlike other supernatural repellents, LoveBites’ repellents use ingredients grown by disabled trolls and elves. 20% of all our proceeds go back to the magical community. Funds go to prevent lonely single witches from hexing humans, feed hungry werewolves, maintain the sharpness of goblin noses, feed bloodthirsty fairies, fight elf and goblin abuse, line the pockets of those at LoveBites, and support many other important causes. LoveBites does not hold any animosity against vampires. We view all creatures equal except for dwarves. If you like Vampire Repellent, you may also enjoy our other products: Werewolf Repellent, Fairy Repellent, Elf Repellent, Werewolf Repellent, Witch Repellent, Human Repellent, Troll Repellent, Goblin Repellent, and Dwarf Killer. Don’t end up being someone’s meal. Use some repellent!

Directions for Application:
Hold repellent thirteen fairyfeet away from body. Spraying any closer or further away diminishes the effects of Vampire Repellent, so it is essential that you follow these directions to the tee. Upon spraying, full-hearted spins are required followed by the incantation “vampireus repellus” (vampire-us repel-us). Avoid contact of Vampire Repellent in the eyes. If it should occur, see a trusted witch immediately. If you happen to be an average human being with no witch contacts, it is likely that you may begin sprouting mushrooms from your eyes or die.

NOTE THAT AS WITH ANY REPELLENT, VAMPIRE REPELLENT MAY NOT WORK ON ALL VAMPIRES!

Fine Print Meant to be Ignored:
Vampire Repellent is not suitable for young goblins or werewolves, and definitely unsuitable for vampires unless one is contemplating severe burns or suicide. LoveBites is not responsible for any firebreathing, burns, headaches, rashes, unusual growths, or peculiar cravings that may occur from use of Vampire Repellent. If any of these symptoms should occur, stop using Vampire Repellent immediately. We suggest Vampire Mace. By spraying Vampire Repellent, you consent to not sue us should any symptoms of malaise occur and understand that as with any repellent, if not applied properly, the results may be fatal.
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

FINNLOP
MH-11
iDream Stocker
User’s Manual
Finnlop Corporation.
Japan.

CONTENT

INTRODUCTION -----------------------------------------------------------------------02
• Getting started.
• System requirements.
• Safety Information

FUNCTION ------------------------------------------------------------------------------09
• Identification and function of parts
• Choosing power supply
• Installation
• Login/Logout
• General working
• Back up
• Software

STORAGE--------------------------------------------------------------------------------13
• Memory card
• Downloading data.

CARE AND MAINTENANCE--------------------------------------------------------------16
• Cleaning and Maintenance

TROUBLESHOOTING---------------------------------------------------------------20

INTRODUCTION

1.1 Getting started.
Welcome to iDream Stocker User’s manual.
Thank you for the purchase of the iDream Stocker. The MH-11 is used to store the dreams in visual format experienced during REM/non-REM sleep. The dreams will be stored in the KK Memory Stocker memory card and can be viewed from accessing the dream data from the Memory Stocker. Before operating the device, please read this manual thoroughly and retain it safely for future reference.

1.2 System Requirements
 Disk Space 32 GB
 KK Memory Stocker 9 GB
 Sound Card

1.3 Safety Requirements
 Use this device only for its intended purpose as described in the user’s manual.
 Keep device a foot away from the head while sleeping.
 The charger and batteries may become warm during charging. This is normal and not a any malfunction.
 So not insert the power plug with wet hands.
 Any uneasiness experienced during the first use is normal. Do not panic.
 Do not shut of the device while in use without logging out. Data might be lost.

FUNCTION

1.1 Identification of parts
 Screen.
 Charger
 External batteries
 Head cap
 Connector.

Screen
 Screen is 3 inch by 3 inch in size. Screen guard can be utilized.
 Screen to be kept safe from scratches.
 Touch and type enabled.
 Malfunction of screen must be reported to any authorized to Finnlop service center.
 Screen has a small microphone placed on the right corner.

Charger
 Used to charge the device when not in use.
 Plug the power plug into a power outlet.
 The charge lamp will light RED to indicate charging.
 The charge lamp will light GREEN after completion of charging.
 Once charging is complete, unplug the power cable from power source.

External Batteries
 Two external chargeable batteries provided.
 Batteries to be used when internal battery dies down.

Skull cap.
 A red cotton skull cap fitted with tiny sensors is provided.
 Cap to be worn before going to sleep.
 Cap will be activated when the sensors detect REM sleep.
 Cap records dreams before sending to device storage.
 Skull cap to NOT be washed.

Connector
 A connector is provided to connect the device to the skull cap.

1.2 Choosing power supply
 Power supply can either be internal battery or external battery.

1.3 Installation
 After the device is setup, a personal account to be made.
 Start-up Wizard will take you through the stages.
 The KK Memory Stocker much be installed after inserting the SD card.
 A username and password is required for Login.
 Maximum of three accounts are possible.

1.4 Login/Logout
 Login in the device requires username and a password.
 After login, the device can be used to store the dreams.
 After use, user to logout.

1.5 General Working
 The device after charging must be connected to the skullcap using Connector.
 The skull cap is fitted on the head.
 The program is started by logging in with username and password.
 Once logged in the different options can be chosen by navigating the device through the screen.
 Different options include – recording of dream + dream stimulation, Recording dream only, dream stimulation, recording dream in REM sleep period, recording dream in non-REM sleep period, recording of dream in both- REM and non REM sleep.
 The sensitive sensors pick up the REM sleep period by detecting rapid eye movements.
 Visual recording of dream by the iDream Stocker.
 The recording data can be accessed by playing the retrieved data.
 No audio assistance.

1.6 Back up
 Back up of data can be achieved by downloading the collected data into a different device such as a PC or making copies.

1.7 Software
 iDream Stocker can be updated when updates are available.

STORAGE

1.1 Memory Card
 KK Memory Stocker 9 GB is provided.
 Disk Space 32 GB

1.2 Download data
 Stored data can be downloaded to any other device provided it supports the software.
 Data can be updated to any device using internet connection.

CARE AND MAINTENANCE

1.1 Care and Maintenance
 Malfunction of device to be reported to any authorized service centre.
 Warranty sheet to be produced during service of device.
 50% discount valid on one service after initial warranted two years.

TROUBLESHOOTING

Update again connection.

Power failure
Connect power
Charge batteries.

Finnlop Corporation.
Japan.
81– 763-298-1123
81 – 763-298-1124
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm
dragonfphoenix says...

Snaga
/snǎ-ɡa/
noun
noun: snaga; plural noun: snaga
1. a form of energy particle (see Mana) confined within an aura field, typically associated with a Mage or Wizard.
"The mage skillfully channeled the snaga into a chatoyant display."
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:55 pm
View Likes
NightWolf says...

Piloting A Type 40 TARDIS; A Manual

This TARDIS model is outdated. However, if you should find yourself at the controls, it is advised to read this manual before attempting to take off. It should be noted that Type 40 TARDISes may have developed faults due to their age.

Before take-off, safety checks must be made. Ensure that the shields are up, in case there is traffic in the Time Vortex. Navigational equipment must be checked, to ensure that the destination you intend to travel to is indeed the one you land in. History must not be changed, so ensuring your destination is a must.

If modifications need to be made, it is extremely important that everything is shut down, except that which is not necessary to shut down.

If damage is suffered, the TARDIS will repair itself accordingly (see the document, the Eleventh Hour, as a citation). During this time, be aware of the engines phasing. This will require a small journey into the future to repair itself.

The desktop may be personalised. If you do decide to change it, the TARDIS shall archive them.

If a living being is inside the TARDIS during danger, it will put them in a time loop until they can be saved. Likewise, the TARDIS will direct you to a different time stream should the need arise.

The TARDIS may be summoned using its key, and may also be adapted to unlock and lock from a distance. It has the ability to materialise around someone should this ability be needed.

Should danger to the TARDIS, or the pilot, happen, the cloister bell will toll. This is an emergency warning, and should not be ignored.

(This is the TARDIS introductory manual. It is advised you do not throw it into a supernova
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 pm
deleted30 says...

Here's mine. I don't have a name for it. Warning: Creepy and dark stuff lies ahead. Reader discretion is advised. :smt003

Spoiler! :
From the Journal of Dr. Chandler Royce, Renown Doctor and Scientist, Eccentric Explorer of Africa and Asia.

June 10th, 1902
5:10 PM

Today has been a long, exhausting, and rather exciting day.

I’ve been in the Tiki Tiki Wilderness for one week now. The Tiki Tiki Wilderness is located near Australia and Madagascar, on an island of its own. It has been blocked off from the public for a number of years now, twenty-five or so. The reason why this tropical island, a perfect travel destination, has been kept from all of society has remained a much-scrutinized mystery. But I believe that today, I may’ve found the answer.

I was walking around the island, daring to wander away from my campsite with only a canteen and pocket knife. It’s an extraordinary place, this island. So many big and exotic species of trees! So many birds, all colorful and exquisite! Indeed, I was enjoying myself as I took in all the sights, positively giddy.

That’s when I came upon it. The beast—a dragon with multi-colored scares. At least, I assume it was a dragon rather than some kind of strange, overgrown lizard . . . you see, the beast was missing wings, which the majority of dragons I’ve seen in books possess. But it had all the other features, right down to a fearsome mouth of sharp fangs that it showed me as we made eye contact.

It was so human, though! I almost could’ve sworn I saw it grin as I began to back away slowly, and its eyes were so full of confidence yet, at the same time, a hint of lonely longing.

I suppose it must’ve been in my imagination. Surely dragons, beasts such as it, can’t feel human emotion. Oh, if only my wife was seeing me now. I know with certainty she, as well as my eldest daughter Elissa, would shake their heads at my foolishness. My “eccentricity.”

But I’m only writing what I believed I saw, and even if I did imagine it, can you blame me for wondering such a curious thought? If dragons can actually feel like humans? Like myself or my wife or any one of my many cousins? It is peculiar, yet ever so intriguing an idea . . .

Dragons have been believed to be extinct for ages, after the humans killed them all when they became too much of a nuisance. But is it possible more exist on this island? I will try and find out.

More to come tomorrow. For now, I must make myself a fire-roasted dinner, and then try to find some sleep. So much to do tomorrow. I must have my energy.

-C.R

June 11th, 1902
2:46 PM

It’s not even three o’clock yet and already the day has been exciting and exhilarating! I found paw prints while I was out searching for dragons, and decided to follow them. They were very big, with distinct lion-like features.

I followed them to a cold and damp cave on the outskirts of the island. There, I heard the gentle snores of a beast, and dared to step inside.

It was a creature . . . perhaps half-lion, half-wolf. I’ve read of beasts such as it, and the name for their kind immediately came to me. “Hellhounds.” A frightful word, wouldn’t you say?

Like a revolting combination of wolf and lion, these beasts supposedly guard hell . . . or are sent by the Devil to wreak havoc? You’ll have to forgive me, I’m not much of a religious man myself and my knowledge of these creatures (which I never believed to exist) is limited at best.

I studied it for a moment before realizing how unsafe I was, with nothing but a pocket knife to protect me. Slowly, I stepped away from the sleeping menace, then turned and ran back to my campsite as fast as my feet would allow.

I’m not sure just how many odd creatures live on this island. Already, I’ve seen a possible dragon and hellhound . . . what more may I uncover in the future weeks?

Perhaps the better question, and the one I know my wife and eldest daughter would be asking me now, is . . . how safe am I?

-C.R

June 13th, 1902
8:23 PM

I found evidence today of a satanic tribe that used to live here, including shrunken heads, voodoo dolls, and the bones of what I believe to be sacrificial animals . . . and virgins.

That’s right, human bones, displayed in this most ghastly way which I will not repeat here. Suffice it to say the bodies all acted as . . . they were the main attraction, as it were, presented for all to see on makeshift pedestals.

I also saw cave murals that told stories—if I’m understanding them correctly—of angry gods demanding sacrifices and punishing these poor tribal people with evil if they did not oblige. Dragons were sent down from the clouds, hellhounds, and various other crudely-drawn animals I could not identify.

The last image was particularly gruesome. A man weeps over a sacrificed young girl—his daughter, perhaps?—while above, a bolt of lightning is coming down from the clouds and about to strike him dead. It was drawn in blood.

I could’ve sworn I heard laughter as I walked around the ruins of these primal people’s society. Laughter . . . and tears. Ghosts, or only my imagination? I know which one my wife and daughter would say.

Maybe I’m going mad. Maybe I should’ve never come here. I fear my life is in danger.

-C.R

June 18th, 1902
6:15 AM

Last night I had a run-in with yet another strange creature. At first, it appeared as a beautiful woman with flowing raven hair and ruby lips. I felt entranced by her beauty and stunned—another person, here on the island? How could that be?

She was walking entirely naked along the waterline, her feet somehow not leaving any tracks in the sand. I began to follow her, calling out in desperate attempts to get her to turn around and speak to me. But to no avail.

Finally, she stopped. And I swear it true, right before my very eyes, she turned into a creature that seemed to be part eagle and part lion. And with big raven wings, she—it—flew off into the sky while I stood staring, my mouth agape.

I’m gaping now as I write this, hardly able to believe such a thing possible. But I saw it! I swear it true. My wife and daughter would undoubtedly be shaking their heads and telling me it’s my eccentricity at work, my old age . . . but I saw it. I know I did.

On the way back, I came across a dear with horns that curled into spirals and legs that were each different colors, as though painted—one blue, one orange, one green, one yellow. Of course, after what I had just witnessed, this hardly fazed me.

Now, I am tired after a long night of tossing back and forth and wondering about this girl. This creature. I need to sleep, or I shall be no good in my next adventure, and staying on my toes is most important right now. I am in the company of bizarre beasts that can, and probably will, attack me sooner or later.

-C.R

June 20th, 1902
10:13 PM

I heard voices today. Ghostly whispers, giggles and cries from the satanic tribe’s cave as I walked past it. It made me pause, asking myself if I was mad or had truly heard such sounds . . .

And then they started up again, and I knew with certainty they were real, no matter what my wife or daughter might say.

I walked inside and looked around. Nothing. After exploring for a few minutes, I couldn’t stand staying amongst those creepy relics of times past, and fled.

On my way out, I could’ve sworn I saw a pair of yellow eyes staring at me from the shadows, but I was too frightened to go back and inspect any further.

The island is taking a toll on me. I’ve seen a number of exotic and impossible things here, mostly animals. I’ve listed all the species I’ve found and was able to recognize (see page facing), and have counted sixty different animals. Amazing.

And terrifying.

Perhaps I should go to sleep now . . .

-C.R

June 25th, 1902
1:10 AM

I heard the voices again.

July 1st, 1902
12:31 AM

Something bad is brewing. I don’t know what or why or how, only that it is. I fear for my safety, but more than that, I fear for the safety of the public. We are all in grave danger.

The ghosts have been stirring as of late. I’ve seen several tribal “people” (using the term as loosely as possible) walking about the island. I know what they are. They are phantoms, haunting this place in the afterlife.

You think me mad, do you? But I saw! With my own eyes, I saw! I swear it true, I swear it! It isn’t my imagination! I saw the ghosts and heard their cries, I know what they are. I know they are real.

The animals grow upset in the presence of the spirits. I nearly got trampled by some kind of elephant-like beast. Lately, I’ve been hiding out in my tent, hoping against hope that everything will be all right.

I need to get off this island. I think I will do so tomorrow. Wish me luck.

-C.R

July 2nd, 1902
11:42 PM

The storm has come and the ghosts shall attack, their chanting rhythm, their ghastly beauty, the animals can feel it . . .

Here comes the Devil.

Goodbye.

Chandler Royce never wrote another journal entry, and was never heard from or seen again. Only recently was this journal found, and written on the back cover, in red blood identified as Dr. Royce's own, were the words, "Help me."

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:21 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

How to raise a samben

warning: may be a tad graphic

Spoiler! :
We've all seen the Facebook pictures lately. All your friends have one. Even your mathematics professor brought his to class the other day. You want one, too.

The thing is, you don't have the arm and the leg to pay for one.

So I've compiled my home method for raising your own samben so you can have one for free!

Before I start, however, let's take a look at the history of the samben.
The tradition of the samben (also known as "zombie" in some circles) started in Haiti, believe it or not. Witch doctors often raised them as cheap labor. Since samben don't have to eat or sleep, production of sugarcane could be doubled overnight, at little cost to the owner of the samben.

These days, it is fashionable to own a samben to do basic tasks that you shouldn't have to do, such as vacuuming, taking out the trash, and even, if the raising is successful enough, take notes in class for you if you are sick.

Many organizations argue that the raising of samben is inhumane and insulting to the dead. Honestly, though, it's not as if we're raising actual souls, just bodies. And if the people aren't using their bodies, why not other people?

NOTE: it is inadvisable to raise someone you once knew. The soul does not attach to the body, but the appearance of a known person as a samben has been known to cause severe emotional trauma.

Instructions:
The first thing you're going to need is a body. The body doesn't have to be fresh, though it must have enough muscle to properly move on its own.

Contrary to popular belief, a full moon is not needed to raise a samben. Some of the most successful raisings I've done have been under the empty eye of a new moon. So really, any night will do. During the day will not work, as it warms the body too quickly and can cause veins to explode.

Once you dig up your body, you also need a small animal. This is the least pleasant part of the raising; unfortunately, you must kill the animal. My favorite small animal to use is a rabbit, as they are affordable in pet stores, and while it is not fashionable anymore, a rabbit's foot is not uncommon as adornment (but more on that later). If rabbits are not readily available in your area, I suggest using a snake, or even a cat (though those two can be painful if not killed immediately). The animal must be put on the chest of the corpse and killed swiftly. Decapitation is recommended.

Three candles must be placed around the body. You will light them during the chant.

After decapitating the small animal, you must mark your forehead with the blood of the animal, and chant thus three times, lighting each candle after one repetition:

samban, samban, se tenir debout,
la terre n'est pas votre ami
émerger du sol et chanter
personne souterraine,
Je suis votre Dieu

After this, the samben's eyes should open, and you will be the proud owner of a samben! To keep control of the samben, part of the animal sacrificed must be kept on you at all times. If you wish to sell the samben, you must give the new owner the remains of the animal. That is why I prefer rabbits, though a point comes when you have too many rabbit's feet on your person at once.

Now that you know how to raise a samben, why not check out our article on How to train your samben?
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 pm
Elinor says...

This article was originally published in the February 2014 issue of Outdoor Magazine.

New Atlantis

By day, Mark Copland is a twenty-five year old store clerk at REI in Denver, Colorado. A graduate of the University of Southern California’s anthropology program (B.A. 2010) he recently returned from a year long journey to the mermaid settlement of New Atlantis, just off the coast of Los Angeles in the Pacific Ocean. I recently sat down with Mr. Copland so he could share the details of his unique experience.

OM: What made you decide to live among the mermaids for a year?
MC: The first mermaid settlements were only discovered about fifteen years ago, so I still think we have a lot to learn about the way they live. I’ve always thought that we need to be more aware of other cultures so we don’t make decisions that negatively affect their lifestyles. I knew that water pollution has done a real toll on them, so I wanted to investigate it for myself in hopes that I could have a strong case against water pollution?

OM: What was the hardest thing to adjust to?
MC: Definitely the Oxygen suit. It felt a little funny having to wear it all the time, but at least it fit to my body and wasn’t big and bulky like an astronaut’s suit. Also, the diet was very different. It’s not like you can get ground beef a thousand feet under the sea. I ate a lot of seaweed. And shrimp.

OM: What was your favorite thing about your experience?

MC: I got to talk to a lot of different mermaids about anything and everything, and it was very enlightening for me. It opened my eyes because as different from us they are, there’s really a lot that’s the same.

OM: What are your future plans?
MC: I’m currently in the process of applying to law schools and I’d like to someday be an environmental lawyer. My girlfriend and I are also planning a trip to Africa and Asia this coming summer.

OM: You’re writing a book about your experience, are you not?
MC: I am writing a book. Each day I was gone I took extensive notes on my observations. I’m in the planning stage right now, but I need to figure out what I want to include and just get it all down. Hopefully I can have it done soon. I’d really like more people to be aware of their fascinating way of life and why we cannot pollute the oceans.

OM: Thank you for your time.
MC: Thanks, it was a pleasure.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:20 pm
View Likes
ongoeslife says...

Yay, I did it in time! ^_^ Word count 395, including headline.

Spoiler! :
News Report: Oversized, Talking Animals to Take Over?

There was reported a huge lion-- some whisper the strange name 'Aslan'-- on Thursday, claimed to have been seen on the coast of Florida, near the small town of Port St. Lucie. Since then, homeowners have reported not only a significant increase in size of their pets, but that some of them have started talking. They claim that it is not the usual animal communications which some call "talking", but that their enlarged animals have been speaking quite fluently to them, often asking to be allowed to join this aforementioned 'Aslan'.

“Sparkle no longer looked like the ordinary rat she had been,” said Lisa Fritz, 45 of Port St. Lucie. “She looked… More aware, more intelligent. And she was huge. She used to come to my ankles, and now, now she comes to my knees! She’s almost 2 feet tall—and she walks about on her hind legs. I didn’t know rats could do that… She spoke to me last night. I know you must be thinking I’m crazy, but my husband heard it, too. She slept in the garage last night, since she wouldn’t fit in her cage. We’re going to take her to the vet tomorrow.”

Don Markle, 35 and also of Port St. Lucie, offered his story as well. “My dog, Roxy, has been acting very weird. She didn’t come in for dinner as usual, and she tried several times to escape through the gate in the back fence. She’s just been sitting on the back porch, staring into the East and whining softly on occasion. I went out to see if anything was wrong with her, and she told me—yes, she actually spoke in words I could understand—she told me to let her go. Then she said that she wanted to join Iceland—or something like that.”

“Do you mean ‘Aslan’?”

“Yes, that was it! I of course had no idea what she was talking about, and was still blown away that she was actually talking perfectly. If she keeps this up, I’m going to sign her up for a circus.”

If you have any insight into this matter or have more cases to report, please contact us at 123-STOP-THE-PETS (123-7867-843-7387). Please, do keep your pets secure and under watch at all times. We do not know what they may be planning.

Note: I have no problem with Iceland; just had to think of something that could be confused with 'Aslan'.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:52 pm
Nike says...

The Planet, Gallifrey
By Alexandra Fred
Professor Granger, Rose
2 February, 3066

There are many planets in this universe. We leanred about many of them in class, but we didn't seem to focus on one important one as much. It was Gallifrey. Now, we were told that this planet consists of the species named Gallifreyans. They live their lives on this planet. It is located in a binary star system within the constellation of Kasterborous, at "galactic coordinates ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two from galactic zero centre", which is some 250 million light years away from Earth (Tennant, Page 276, Planets of Kasterborous).

This planet is very different from ours. Let's start with learning how the people live there. They are placed in ranks. Most are called Time Lords. The people there live long lives as the regenerate (reformed or reborn). Each of them gets twelve regenerations (Smith, Page 14, Our Friend, Gallifrey).

The planet is a yellow-orange. It is just a bit off of the Milky-Way. (Scrooge, Page 10, Planets of Kasterborous). "The planet was protected from physical attack by an impenetrable barrier called the quantum force field, named presumably after the Eye of Harmony, and from teleportation incursions by the transduction barrier - which could be reinforced to repel most levels of this type of technological attack." (Wiki, Page 7890, The Grand Website). This planet is famous for their red grass in the wilderness.

There was a war between the Time Lords and the Daleks, ending in the obliteration of both sides and with only two apparent survivors; the Doctor and a lone Dalek that had somehow fallen through time and crashed on Earth (Eccleston, Page 45, Our Friend, Gallifrey). But now, we know that Gallifrey is frozen in a secondary/pocket universe, so it has not been destroyed, but the Daleks were destroyed by killing each other (Hurt, Page 56, Planets of Kasterborous).

In conclusion, the planet Gallifrey has an amazing history and I believe it will be found again soon enough by our friend, The Doctor. Then we can all travel there and enjoy the beautiful red grass.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

As the notifications drift in I stop and wonder. Why do they take so long? Do they have adventures we don't know about? I bet they do. When they come I will ask myself. What amazing adventure has this straggling notification been on? How far did it travel, and why didn't it take me?
— TypoWithoutCoffee