z

Young Writers Society

New Badge Ideas

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:21 pm
Hannah says...

Are you sitting there, sword in your hand, with an idea for a badge you'd love to earn to prove your honor as a Knight of the Green Room?

Or maybe you're setting up a mini-challenge, but you need just the right reward to encourage participation!

While we can't add new badges to the ones we're able to award to profiles yet, that feature will be released to YWS soon, and then the sky's the limit in terms of how many Knights of the Green Room badges could be out there to claim.

So, this thread is here for you -- what do you want?
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:17 am
View Likes
Rook says...

I want titles! I know we already have "squire" and "Knight," those come standard, but I think it would be cool to reward especially great feats with extended titles like,
"Knight Hannah the brave who single-handedly slew an entire trilogy of full novels"
or
"sir whoever, the destroyer of poetry"
Or something along those lines.
Maybe "classes" too. I know if you go in the "memberlist" they have ranks like "epic novelist" and "master of the forum" and such.
Just some ideas. :)
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:31 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

@fortis! I remember the custom titles! You used to get a rank based on how many posts you had. When you hit 250 and became a Novelist, you could change it to whatever you wanted. It was pretty fun. Unfortunately, those disappeared several YWS iterations ago, but it would be neat to have something like that.

Maybe that could somewhere in the long reward-less journey between 100 and 150? Like at 125, you could pick your own title addendum?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:45 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

I like these thoughts, Knight @fortis and Knight Nite (@niteowl).

Would the title addendum be displayed somewhere special? Would it have to be based off something that already happened? Would there be the potential for more than one?

621 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 am
View Likes
Rook says...

I like the idea of a title at 125.
I would like to think it would be based on something that already happened, but maybe not. If you feel you did nothing of extreme note when you reach 125, maybe you just get to choose something nice or something. I think you should get to pick your own, but yet, that kind of feels like it take some honor out of it. Like it would be more special to them if there was someone who actually noticed that they did something grand and worthy of a title. I think there should be potential for more than one, but the other ones would come at unspecified times, for things you do that are EXTREMELY impressive.
Basically what I'm thinking of here is back in the olden days when people would say:
"Sir Bartholomew, Son of Odin, Slayer of the great beast of Versailles, Conqueror of Spain, holder of the royal throne of Ga'tharrba, and destroyer of souls."
You know, something along those lines. So as you can see, there can be many titles, but only of things of great worth. I think it would be displayed anywhere official. Obviously you wouldn't call them that at all times, but maybe the top of their log, or in that list of knights you could display that. (That list might get even longer once we start racking up the titles).
If we do have a stables or something, maybe our stables can be where we display our titles as well as our other achievements?
This is just Idea-spew. Take what you want from it.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 12, 2014 12:20 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

Still appreciating this idea, Fortis.

I'm thinking maybe rather than earning the titles through amount of badges, you'd have to earn these titles by writing up the stories that go with them. So if you want to be Fortis the Fortieth, that's cool since I already wrote that awesome story when you were accepted to the knights, right? But if you want to be Fortis the Fortieth with Eyes of Flame, you'll have to post in the Great Hall about how while you were searching for the chest of gold, you suddenly poured gasoline in bad places and lit a match MAN! Then we can't avoid calling you that!

hehehehehehe.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Sat May 31, 2014 1:24 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Idea One:

Write x# of reviews in one day to get specific badges. Maybe 10 for the baby badge, then 20, 30, etc.

Idea Two:

Team up with another Knight of the Green Room to slay enemies in the green room which have not received any reviews yet. For proof, both participants must post relatively closely together in a blitz attack of the work, and say that they are reviewing with the other knight on their team.
Blitz Badge: explained above, joining up with One fellow knight. Could be two armored hands shaking.

Team Loyalty Badge: If you do 5 reviews with the same fellow Knight of the Green Room, you get a Allies in Arms badge, which could be interlocking elbows of people in armor.

Fleet Badge: If you do 5 reviews with 5 different fellow Knights of the Green Room, you get a badge as a Fleet, perhaps Knights United badge? Could be a picture of a bunch of knights on horseback or otherwise.

Use it if you like it.

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:58 am
View Likes
Kelpies says...

Though I am but a squire, I do agree with the titles. I mean, you have squire and knight, but no titles above that. But I would also like something like the Dragon. I think this would be for a combination of the kingdom and reviewing something that "makes you quake in your boots". I personaly am on this quest. Though another has already been reviewed, I think it would make a nice challenge. Please consider it.

~Cairnes.
We are who we are, and if someone has a problem with that; that's their problem not ours.
I do believe that insane is the only way to go.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:07 am
Hannah says...

Hey, Knight Cairnes (@Kelpies)! I would just like to point out the Head of the Wild Boar badge, which you can receive when you review something that makes you quake in your boots! Luckily we already have that!

Or are you talking about something else? If so, could you try to explain it a little more clearly? :)

I am thinking about how we can do titles...
I feel like people can definitely apply titles to themselves whenever they want. I mean, technically we could all do that to ourselves in real life, it would just have no meaning unless it was for actions other people recognized, so...

-ponders-

Also, I'm liking your badge ideas, @Aley. I like especially the Blitz one, and I would love it people teamed up to make a fleet. Lemme see if I can't whip up some badges for those ideas...

621 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:01 am
Rook says...

It could be a nominative thing. Like, if you specifically see a knight doing something. And then also if someone feels like they did something spectacular, they could submit it to be reviewed by their peers. Of course there would have to be some defined things as to what would count.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:44 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Yes, I agree with a nomination based title thing.

For instance we could hold a nomination thread to create Dukes, Lords, Barons and so forth depending on how many times you've been voted through. In order to be voted through you have to get peer popular vote, with the criteria of each being higher and higher.

Maybe something like this?

Picture of the list I'm using for the titles.
Spoiler! :

Criteria for Honors:

Lord
You must have:
Obtained your Coat of Arms
Produce helpful reviews respected by peers

Baron
You must have:
Been appointed title of Lord
Successfully joined an official order
Obtained a Chest of Silver

Viscount
You must have:
Been appointed title of Baron
Obtained a 3 Rare Badges [Badge of Shrubbery, Fellows in Arms, etc.]

Earl [Unless you want to be Count Dracula]
You must have:
Been appointed title of Viscount
Obtained a Chest of Gold

Marquis
You must have:
Been appointed title of Duke
Slain 350 monsters of the Green Room
Have a clean Log with details of all previously granted items including names

King
You must have:
Been appointed the title of Marquis
Obtained a Unicorn
Rally to obtain the King Badge by unanimous vote within the Kingdom
Help lead a war against The Green Room Beasts

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 pm
View Likes
tgirly says...

It would be cool to have a Sentry Badge for the After Watch members.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

621 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:13 pm
Rook says...

I'd rather be a count than an Earl. ;)
That sounds awesome though Aley! We should still somehow sneak the "post-titles" in there (I don't know what to call them. I mean Knight slowpoke "the goofy" or whatever)

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:56 am
View Likes
Hannah says...

Thanks for the ideas, Knight @Aley! Let's see what the other knights think of the title idea. I personally would rather have all Knights be on the same level as a company of equals, but if most other Knights want this change, I'd be happy to support it.

Knight Tallygirl (@tgirly) -- don't you even worry yourself about that one. I am making one for the moment of our victory. ;) Except, that seems to be a really long ways away... xDD

Knight @Fortis, do we need a standardized way to give titles? Let's brainstorm it. How would a Knight receive the title "the goofy", and would we want a bunch of Knights going around with the same titles if they were standardized??

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain